Chapter 1: Panzersturm
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been seven months.

Our platoon, the 4th, hasn’t been mobilized yet ever since the invasion of Poland by our Fatherland alongside the Bolsheviks1The communists: Soviet Union. Helped Nazi Germany invade Poland by 1939.. However, my driver and childhood friend Horst Schweitzer has been in contact with high command and found out they are headed to Denmark for a huge operation2Operation Weserubung, the airborne, later naval and land operation to take Scandinavian countries for the war machine..

“Sounds like they’re deploying multiple groups to get Denmark”, Horst said to me.

“For what reason”, I asked. “Well, apparently they said that the war will eventually drain our steel industry, so they aim for Scandinavian steel”, Horst replied.

“Well, I’m ready to fight if we were brought in that freezing land.”

“I just hope we don’t get sent there.”

Those two youngsters were with us ever since the start. The one who’s ready was Hans Kampf, and the other was Roland Neumann. I heard that Roland joined the Wehrmacht because of his parents, because his father was a war veteran during World War I back in 1915.

From what I can see, Hans really supports the Nazi regime. He often shows high respect as if I were an Oberkommando3High Command. I mean, I don’t really mind the respect (in fact I really want everyone to show respect to me as Kommandant), but I don’t want to see Hans drowning into fanaticism too much. It could kill us all if something goes wrong.

“Attention!”

It was our General, Mathias Adler. He’s harsh on discipline, and it traces back to the academy, so I had always kept my cool. We then went to his office and he showed us a detailed map of France.

“We have orders to initiate Fall Gelb4Case Yellow: Invaded Netherlands, Belgium, and France by May 1940. once the signal is given. The Führer wants us to take Western Europe. Here is our plan. From here, our platoon will be spearheading an offensive after the Fallschirmjäger5German Paratroopers under Luftwaffe jurisdiction. Today they are part of the Bundeswehr. take the fortress of Eben-Emael, here in Belgium. Next, our infantry will lead the breakthrough towards Hannut, but first, we’ll send in our recon division by nightfall of the tenth of May to evaluate Belgian and French defences.”

So it is next month, I said to myself. General Adler is telling us to invade France from Belgium. It reminded me of the Schlieffen Plan6A plan of Feldmarschall Alfred von Schlieffen back in 1914 to invade France and Belgium. back in 1914, where the Germans would invade France through Belgium and other fronts to encircle Paris.

“Then, afterwards, the platoons will deploy the Panzers in here, and here, in order to secure flanks against the enemy. Then, we’ll push on sector by sector, starting by securing this central battery where we can fortify it as a forward operating base for our artillery and rear guard. Then, we’ll push towards the Ardennes forest to flank the enemy”, the General continued.

My crew members were shivering. Later after this briefing, I have to comfort them and make them motivated. I mean, it’s the French that really drove us to war because of the Versailles Treaty7Signed agreement that ended WW1's armed hostilities, with conditions for Germany to disarm and demobilize its armed forces. Created by the Allied Nations: British Empire, France, and Belgium., blaming Germany for the First World War, which is illogical and doesn’t make sense.

I get it! I have to use that fact to make them motivated, and I hope it happens soon.

The meeting was finally over. Fortunately, there’s a lot of time to prepare for the invasion. My crew was having fun back in our quarters, so I have to do that plan.

Our quarters were so organized, that it reminded me of the academy. Eventually we’ll have to leave soon to begin our journey, and I wasn’t ready for it.

“Hey guys...have you eaten tonight’s dinner yet?” I asked my team at our room.

“We’re just about to, but we’re waiting for you”, Horst said to me.

“I mean, before the break’s over, can we talk, all of us?” I asked the team.

“Come on Kommandant, have a seat”, Hans said to me, once again with the highest respect.

“You know Hans, outside of the field, you can just call me Julius. We’re all the same here, brothers in arms”, I said.

“Are you sure, Julius? I mean, I feel like I’m left out...I want to see my family again”, Roland said to me.

“Don’t think about that. You’re thinking too much. Just relax, and I will bring all of you home to your loved ones. I mean, I have a girlfriend in Hamburg and we’re about to marry but the Nazi regime conscripted me as well as you guys. Here, this is her”, I said as I showed them my girlfriend’s picture.

“Yeah, the war is taking away not just lives, but our families as well”, Horst said to us.

“Just make sure you don’t think out loud like that in front of the soldiers. They’ll likely kill you for doing so”, I said.

We talked about our families, hometowns, and love interests. It’s just soothing when you talk to your comrades like family.

“So yeah, tonight’s food is bread from my girlfriend’s bakery”, I said. “Really!? I want to see your girlfriend”, they said to me.

“Relax, she’s too shy to meet the soldiers”, I said, “I mean, I have to say something to her ever since we went distant. But don’t spy on me okay!? Eat your bread and milk! That’s an order from your Kommandant!” I said jokingly.

I even forgot that I was about to motivate them with the fact that the Versailles Treaty was a piece of junk...but we were all motivated because of being together.

We were all laughing, like we were kids as we walk to the transport truck. I can see my girlfriend, Alice Schmidt, as she gives bread. I was lining up, waiting for my share, and it sounds like my crew is getting excited as they give me a thumbs up.

After a few moments, it was my turn. I was handed eight loaves of bread, two for each member, as I was a Kommandant. “Eh!? Julius!” she said.

“You’ve changed! I miss you...really...I’m so glad I came here...” Alice said while she’s crying.

“H-hey! We’ll talk later after you give us the bread, okay?” I said as I walk out in embarrassment. “O-okay...” she said.

As we eat the bread, I can’t help but really enjoy the warm bread Alice baked for us. The milk was also well-made...only the finest within Hamburg. “Your girlfriend is so cute in person, Wagner”, Horst said.

I was just silent...but they were really enthusiastic. Then, someone knocked on our quarters.

“Kommandant Wagner. A visitor wants to talk to you”, a soldier told me. I then went up and went outside the barracks.

“Alice! You haven’t set off yet?”I said as I saw Alice.

Alice has been my girlfriend since when I was nineteen. We would often share bread and go around Germany and explore. I met her when she was exploring the house of Otto von Bismarck8First German Empire Chancellor, Prussian statesman from 1860-1890., the great ruler of Germany before Wilhelm, the Kaiser9Kaiser Wilhelm II, led from 1888 to 9 November 1918..

“I...I want to talk to you, a lot, to be honest”, she said to me. We then went on a nearby sitting rock.

“It’s just...I’m glad I met you again, Julius. If only I could stay a little longer...”

“Don’t worry, I’m here, and we’ll marry soon enough once the war is over”, I said.

“Yeah...Anyway, how was the bread I gave to you?” she asked me.

“It’s still the same old great taste. Reminded me of how I first met your family in your bakery”, I said.

“Also, seeing you in that uniform makes me proud of my country. That’s why I want to record you and your friends’ moments”, she said.

“What? You want to record the war?” I asked.

“Yeah! I want to tell the world of you and your friends’ story. Every moment of the war is worth recording to history books, much like how ancient history was recorded and passed down to us”, she said.

Yeah, Alice also loves history. She has so many tomes of books about German history, and now she wants to be a writer. I mean, it’s not bad, it’s just the high command wanting it to keep the war secret.

“Alright, you can be with us, as long as you don’t get seen by the generals out there. Just record the war that the enemy won’t see you. I don’t want to see you die. Anyway, have you told your family about this?” I asked.

“Yeah; they said that recording the war is very essential for the children of tomorrow”, she said. “Alright, you’ll stay on our quarters, but don’t spill the beans to everyone in Germany, especially since we’re censored under Goebbels and Hitler10German censorship included news as well as letters, to avoid problems in the battlefield such as insubordination and enemy intelligence.. Just keep quiet, okay, dear?” I said as I kissed her on the forehead.

We then went to our quarters. My crew was amazed when they saw Alice.

“Why?” they all asked.

“She wants to be a writer. A writer of the war, and she wants to record our battles that we’ll face”, I said.

“Great idea! Something that schools should have, I say”, Roland said to me. They all agreed to it.

We then went to sleep, as it’s already pitch dark.

Days have passed, and now the order to invade France has come. It’s now the tenth of May. We have heard reports that the Fallschirmjäger have invaded the Netherlands by now, and the fort of Eben-Emael at Belgium is now under attack.

There was no more time to waste. It’s time to put the training to the test.

Our Panzerkampfwagen11Long version of Pz.Kpfw. in descriptions. IV, number 451, is in Dunkelgrau (dark gray), and it feels so new. Alice had to take the middle compartment, and we also let her drive the Panzer if Horst is out. Alice said it felt like driving a truck, but on tracks. She just sat within our radio, but she must never touch it, or else it’s going to go bad.

We are dumping the shells we never cleaned from training, and refuelled it. We have to perform system checks and zero the main gun and coaxial MG34 machine gun. Yes, those words are hitting me again like a truck.

It’s time to show the French and Belgians what we’re made of: steel. It’s Blitzkrieg12Lightning war.

As we advance, I open the hatch for fresh air. We drive only slowly as we march towards Hannut, the city before the Ardennes. We have to take it first, I forgot to mention. As I see my fellow countrymen marching, my heartbeats are pumping up faster. It’s like it’s almost the end for us.

But I have no fear. This Panzer is our skin, and it’ll never be easy to crack. A storm is brewing, a Panzer Storm.

I see the Luftwaffe now hitting the skies with their Messerschmitt BF109s and Junkers Ju-87 Stuka planes. No enemy aircraft in sight, as I see through my binoculars.

“Julius! The radio’s transmitting a message”, Alice said.

“Alright, I’ll listen through”, I said as I went down.

The radio was transmitting static for a while...steady, steady, as I get the right frequency...and there, loud and clear. Orders are being relayed through this radio inside the tank.

“Friedrich-Two, you are to enter your flanking position for guard duty and reconnaissance. Make sure no enemy forces can see us before we invade. Paratroopers are still fighting in the fort and will eventually support us”, command says to us.

“Jawohl13Yes in German, kommandant. Entering flank for recon duty. Awaiting orders for invasion.” Roland said.

“Alright, Horst, bring us to the flanking position”, I ordered.

“Yes, sir!” Horst said and began to drive.

“You really are scary Julius, when you give orders.” Alice said.

“It’s just to show discipline. Have you got the camera ready? The battle will commence soon, so don’t miss a moment. This will be one for the books”, I said.

“Yeah!” everyone shouted. It’s good to still see happiness despite the entry to hell.

We then stopped and performed recon duty. As I bring my binoculars out, I can see the city of Hannut. But before that, we have to deal with the Belgian army stationed in the city as they prepare for the defenses. Infantry are currently engaging the forces, with the 1st to 3rd Panzer Division hitting it. I count a force of a thousand soldiers, and what?

There are a lot of tanks in there, outnumbering us, maybe. It looked like it’s the French army with their new tanks. From what I can see, their armament is light but we need to be careful.

“Friedrich-Two, begin the attack. Your objective is to take the city of Hannut and push the Belgian forces out of the city”, command said to us.

“Alright, jawohl, kommandant", Roland said to command.

It’s time. No turning back. We’re about to take Europe now. God bless us all.

“Alice! Get in the tank! We’re hitting that city there, and...up you go”, I said as I lift her up.

“Bring us to the frontline, Horst”, I said.

“Any orders, Kommandant?” Hans asked to me.

“Roland, man the MG and engage enemy infantry. Hans, zero in the 75mm and engage enemy armour. And Alice, bring the camera and take pictures, and write the events down.” I commanded to everyone.

“Yes sir!” We then sped towards the frontline.

It was a sight to behold, passing through farms and eventually, the outskirts of Hannut. Now, I can see infantry engaging enemy tanks. I spy them with my little eye...

“FEUER!”14FIRE in German, meaning firing a shot. I shouted. Hans fired the gun and it was a hit! “Hit confirmed!”

We have to engage enemy infantry. Our Panzer division is moving a little faster. The objective is within reach. The Belgians will fight through every corner, every street, and every intersection. The 6th Army is flanking, so we have to support them by taking Hannut.

It may have been going well for us, but there’s no support from behind us! No artillery, no new divisions. “We’re requesting a supply drop of fuel at these coordinates!” the radio said. Someone might have been requesting fuel for us as we keep engaging French defences.

Somehow, I can hear rumbling from outside. It’s not the tanks hitting us (yes, we’re being hit with their 47mm15French tanks such as the SOMUA S35 were armed with 47mm guns but are strong against German armor. guns), but what is it? So I head up and witness something.

It’s the Royal Air Force! British air forces are currently engaging the Luftwaffe, and we cannot do something, but it’s hindering our support.

Regardless, we still advance. I can see Alice shivering in fear as she writes down the events and photographing the battle. “Julius...I’m so scared...” she said.

“Don’t worry, this will be over soon. Just keep writing, okay?”I said to comfort her. We then continued towards Hannut. It all seemed to be quiet, but we were met by fierce resistance in town! “Take cover now!” I shouted.

“Turning back now, kommandant!” Horst said.

“They’re counterattacking us from all sides! Fall back for a while!” I shouted.

We really have to think of another course of action. As we drive through several blocks, we see covered French tanks trying to kill us. If I had known this sooner, this wouldn’t have happened.

Our tank was damaged to the sides. We were cut off from the main fighting force. Our flank has been exposed after that action. The 4th Army is at risk. We need to halt this attack for now, or else we will fail.

“Check for damages”, I ordered before heading to the main force. It’ll be a risky move to move behind enemy lines. “Vehicle still in fighting condition, but needs some repairs to the fuel tank”, Hans said.

“Alright. Roland, get out of the tank and help me repair the rear. Horst, look for possible points we can escape to get back to the Panzer divisions”, I ordered to them as I get out of the tank and begin repairing.

Alice went out as well to photograph the area as well as some enemy tanks passing by the area. She’s with Horst for now. I can see some non combatants walking around town, seemingly eyeing on us just doing repairs. I feel like these people would report our position, but I can’t assume that.

“Where are we now?” Alice said.

“This is the outskirts of Hannut. We weren’t supposed to be here, because we’re outnumbered. We need to get back to the main force to proceed”, I said while finishing off the repairs.

“Actually, while walking around, I got these photos of some tanks as well as their areas. Perhaps these will help?” Alice said as she shows me some photos of French tanks and locations.

“Thanks. Wait...these tanks are...right ahead of us!?” I said in fear.

“My God; thanks for warning us, Alice...now that the repair’s done, we have to fall back and regroup with the 4th. Hannut is impenetrable. I thought it would be easy to flank...” I said as we return to our tank.

“Alright, Roland. Tell the forces that Panzer 451 of the 4th has gone missing and is coming back. We need their location so that we can continue”, I ordered.

“This is Panzer 451, 4th Panzer Company. We need your location, as we were stuck here in our exposed after heavy armour hits”, Roland said.

“Friedrich-Two! I thought we’ve lost you. Good thing you’re alive. We have finally taken Hannut, so come to us now. I mean, we can see you. We’ll attack tomorrow to France”, command said.

We then drove forward. Alice was just sleeping, so we kept quiet and let the engine roar.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by dinner and a good night rest in this beautiful city of Hannut. Alice had to sleep in the tank because they might force her out of the dream to share this war to the world.

The next day, we have to begin our attacks along the French border. I have to tell you, we have only destroyed one tank yet. Here’s to hoping we get more kills today. We hop in the tank and began receiving orders, but not until afternoon as we head away from Hannut. It took six hours for us to get orders.

“Friedrich-Two, soften the defences at Thisnes so that we can move forward. Break any armoured columns as you proceed.”

“Yes sir”, Roland said.

Upon receiving orders, we get to soften them, but at the cost of heavy fire. The French defences are so unrelenting that we had to fall back twice. However, defences were softened just in time for the main assault. We have destroyed 15 tanks at that point.

It was the biggest tank battle I had at the time, and I hope it doesn’t happen again. All I wanted was an easy conquest, but the French are really not going to give up easily.

For me, this experience here at Hannut was satisfying. I was almost going to give up, but no. The radio has given me orders to return to base for some reason.

I head down as I am being called alongside the other commanders of the 4th.

“Our forces at France are having a hard time hitting the French forces south of us. They need extra help. Panzer 432, 447, R01, and 451 as well as their infantry are to head to the Ardennes and spearhead the offensive. Dismissed”, General Adler said to us.

What seemed to be happiness for me after destroying 21 tanks has gone to nothing, again. We pack up our stuff and begin moving to the Ardennes. Alice is preparing for her new set of films.

Before we rest, I was reading Alice’s journal. “Yep, she can be a good historian after this war”, I said to myself as I sleep. The journey will take three days to reach Ardennes.

0