Chapter 11: Problematic Situation
355 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deus was still in the midst of his improvements two days later when he was suddenly interrupted by a message from Mammon that caused him to halt everything immediately.

"Something's climbing the elevator shaft!" 

Mere seconds later he had appeared in Mammons' Virtual Space, the entire space was flashing red in alarm as Mammon flicked from screen to screen with a troubled expression - his frown grew deeper and deeper as he watched a monitor spike every few seconds like a repeating pattern over and over again.

"I picked up vibrations travelling through the shaft, something's making its way up and fast." He said in frustration as he tried to access the camera systems of the shaft only to be stopped by error messages, "Damn broken equipment!" He exclaimed as he threw his hands up in defeat. 

"There's nothing I can do from here anymore, hell none of the camera systems in that area want to work for me! We're completely blind." He turned to Deus and sighed, his face was scrunched up in frustration as he turned his attention back to the monitor that was rhythmically going off every few seconds as it tracked the creature climbing the shaft.

"What floor is it on currently?" Deus asked after considering his options momentarily, "Floor thirty - it'll reach the top in a few minutes." Mammon responded after checking the most recent vibration report, "Make that twenty-nine." He mumbled as the equipment went off again.

"Open the shaft doors on floor four, I'll head it off in the Throne Room." He didn't wait for a response as he disappeared to take control of the Labour Drone he'd left in the Throne Room previously from his expedition to the floors below.

But, instead of making his way straight for the elevator shaft he instead turned to take a look at his body sitting upon the throne lifelessly.

"Mammon, send 5% of our current power supply to my body."

He didn't receive a message back questioning what he wanted to do, most likely Mammon had decided to just trust he had a plan rather than argue with him using their limited reserves at a time like this. Deus didn't waste any time as he sent a message to the other half of his soul still working on the SE-L calculations with instructions on what to do.

Shhhhh

The sound of a blade sliding out of his body's right arm could be heard just mere moments later; Deus got to work trying to separate the revealed blade from his body as he used all the utility tools the Labour Drone had to offer to smoothly remove it without causing too much damage to the surrounding parts.

Unfortunately because the equipment he was using wasn't meant for precision work on such a finely constructed body as his own he damaged more than a few components in the right arm as he separated the blood, although it wouldn't become completely useless from the damage it would still have limited functionality when he finally was able to control his own body again.

He silently sent an order for his other half to return the remaining power to Mammon. He quickly took apart the left hand of the drone and replaced it with the blade, using a blow-torch to weld the blade to his arm in place of the hand then using an air-cooler to cool the weld and set it in place.

"It's on floor ten!" Mammons' voice was transmitted to his mind as he gave an update on the creatures location.

It didn't take long for the metal to cool alongside the assistance from the air-cooler, he did a quick test by slicing at a nearby pillar. 

Bang! 

The blade embedded itself half an inch into the solid stone pillar without an issue, it wasn't even slightly chipped as it was pulled back out with ease and waved it a few times in front of him, he could faintly hear the whistling sound of the blade as it sliced through the air with ease.

'Perfect.'

The blade was one of a few that he had installed on himself to use in times of emergency; when conventional weapons couldn't be relied on it was necessary to have cold weapons on his person to gain an advantage in close combat. Many times had a blade saved his life when he didn't have time to recharge his weaponry or one was out of reach.

Of course, he would only use the best of the best.

All of the blades that were installed on his main body had been famous works by weapon smiths who specialised in cold weapons, a dying profession in a Universe ruled by energy weapons and weapons of mass destruction.

The blade he'd just welded to the Labour Drone had once been a cultural treasure of a Galaxy Ruling Civilisation before it'd fallen into his hands and become apart of his arsenal. 

...

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

"Floor 8... Floor 7... Floor 6..." Deus listened to Mammon speak after every shake of the elevator shaft from the creature jumping up its support structure, it was gradually making its way towards floor four and Deus who was ready with his blade to attack it the moment it showed even a hint of hostility.

Mammon had lowered the elevator to floor three to block it off from going any further up, although if it was what Deus thought it was then much like the cages he'd seen earlier the elevator wouldn't do much to block it - he could only hope that it saw the open doors to the elevator shaft and was herded towards him rather than try to go up further.

"Be ready it'll be with you any second now, good luck." Mammon informed him before going silent, no doubt watching from a camera in his Virtual Space while he waited for the creature to reveal itself.

Bang!

Not even a second after did it finally show itself, there was no build up or anticipation as it revealed itself to him in its entirety to Deus, he could make out the talon-legs and the tumour-like head simply from its outline in the darkness of the elevator shaft as he waited for it to come out.

He wasn't sure whether it was the same creature he'd seen before but simply from size alone it was similar if not exactly the same. He watched as it tilted its head up and realised that it wasn't able to go any further only to realise that the door was open.

It crawled out like a spider as it lowered its head to fit through the doorway which was small in comparison to its stature and emerged into the bright and open space of floor four, face to face with Deus who was waiting for it. Immediately, Deus noticed that it was wounded as droplets of blue liquid began to drip from its limbs onto the floor and pool into a little puddle.

"Creee!" It let loose a cry as soon as it noticed Deus and rushed towards him, Deus began to back up only to realise he sensed no hostility from the creature.

"What're you doing?! Move!" He heard Mammon scream in his mind but he stood his ground as he faced it down, it wouldn't matter if the Drone died anyway - it wasn't like on the lower levels, he could transfer his mind back to into Mammons' servers in the milliseconds before the Drone was destroyed without an issue.

He took a risk as he trusted his senses rather than logic. Contrary to Mammon's expectations as he watched from his Virtual Space, Deus was not subject to being trampled as the creature collapsed in front of him as if having used all of its strength to sustain itself to this point. 

"Crrreeee...." A small cry echoed from its mouths as it tilted its head up from the ground to look at him. It's cry was filled with pain and anguish as it laid silently on the floor looking as if it was at deaths door, Deus didn't waste any time as he began to move around the creature in an attempt to find the location of its injury.

It didn't take him long considering he only had to find the location where the now large pool of blood on the floor was coming from, on the fleshy mass on the back of its head where he had seen the ears and noses growing before there was a large chunk ripped from it leaving what looked like teeth marks on its body.

Deus was curious as to what else lived down there that could cause so much damage but now wasn't the time to try and figure that out - if he didn't act now it was a certainty that the creature would lose its life on the floor, it was miraculous enough that it had managed to come so far with such an injury, the sheer willpower needed to force itself to keep going upwards without stop couldn't be imagined.

"How the hell are you planning on saving it?" Mammon suddenly appeared in his head once more trying to figure out what he was planning to do, in truth even Deus had no idea what he was meant to do - they had nothing here that could be used to heal Biological Creatures...

"Biological Creatures..." Deus muttered, "Mammon get down here with a Drone and keep it alive as long as possible - its hung on for so long, make it last another hour!" He shouted a reply, "also reactivate the Elevator! Fast!" 

...

Mammon silently complied as he watched Deus scurry into the elevator and rush to the forge, he'd already split his soul much like Deus had and had sent it to take control of one of the Labour Drones. It was already making its way towards the lift from the forge when Deus rushed past him.

'What'd he think of?' There was nothing but confusion on his mind as Mammon watched his other half quickly make its where to the creature to try and slow its impending death.

Hope you enjoyed! :) Thanks for all the support <3

13