Chapter 1
903 9 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Khai sensed it immediately. The sudden flaring of fire, out of control and hungry. He turned sharply, the element inside him responding.

By the time Khai arrived, visible flames were licking up a multistory house. A group of people were trying to spray sand and dampen the flames.

“Hey, stop! Don’t get in the way of the mages!” a man scowled.

Khai ignored him, pushing past the men to get to the door of the house, which had been closed.

“Don’t open it, you stupid girl!”

Khai opened it. Flame rushed out, and Khai welcomed it, drew it into himself.

“Oh shit, she’s a fire mage!”

As he drew the heat of the flame into himself, he could sense a different sort of flame in the building now that he was close.

People.

Khai extended his awareness, and pushed his hands forward and down. Fire blinked out. With haste, he made his way through the building to where he sensed people. If he could sense them, they were still alive.

On the top floor, he found a mother and son. The mother had built a makeshift earth block against the flames, but the son’s breathing was all wrong.

“What?” the woman stuttered, drawing her son close. “You—”

“I’m a healer,” Khai said, drawing out his licence, and ignoring the wrong name and face on it. “He must have breathed in smoke. Young lungs are more susceptible.”

“Oh.” The woman finally stepped aside enough for Khai to reach the boy.

Khai called forth heat to his palms and pressed them over the boy’s chest. Delicately, through the magic of his flame, Khai called away the tiny, tiny particles of air-of-fire out of the boy’s lungs.

The boy’s breathing evened. “Mum?”

The woman hugged her son. “It’s fine, now.”

Footsteps up the stairs. One of the earth-element men appeared at the door way. “Ma’am, are you alright?”

The woman flashed a quick smile at Khai. “I am,” she said.

“We should get out of the building. It is no longer structurally sound,” the man said authoritatively. “Let me help your son.”

The woman shook her head. With unsurprising strength, she scooped up her son and made her way out.

The man looked pointedly at Khai. “That was dangerous, young lady! Save it for after you graduate from Immin and join Taesu’s firefighting unit!” He looked pointedly at Khai’s uniform.

The uniform of Immin University, Taesu’s major university for women.

Khai ignored the man and headed down himself.

He had been misgendered all his life, and under the stern and sharp gaze of his Healing Master-turned-adoptive aunt, there was nothing he could do about. Even now, in Taesu, away from his hometown, his aunt’s reach was still felt, steering him to attend Immin instead of the co-educational Four Elements University which his aunt had deemed unsuitable for polite young women.

And the best way to deal with the dysphoria...was to bury its flames deep, deep inside.

Khai glanced up at the sky, tracking the sun’s current position. It was time to get to Immin’s opening ceremony.

*

Quy jumped down from the rooftop from where he was watching Mai, cushioning his landing with a sharp burst of fire. His butler, Shima, landed beside him.

“She looks a lot like me, doesn’t she?” Quy said, smirking. More than just black hair and gold eyes, Mai had a similar height and build, the same echo of nose and slanted eyes. Enough of a likeness that the border officials at Taesu’s gates had gossiped about it, even joking about a long-lost daughter of Lord Quyen. And thus, Quy had heard.

“She does,” Shima allowed.

Quy strode to the edge of the alleyway. He knew that Mai was just round the corner. “Well? Grab her.”

Shima bowed his head and obeyed.

Quy had seen it in the way Mai walked, the gait of trained combat mage. And she had dealt with the burning building very nicely. He turned to her as Shima hustled her into the alleyway.

And Quy smiled. He could sense the fire ready in her hands.

“Calm down, Mai,” he said, stepping a little closer. Shima blocked Mai’s exit, a ready hand on his sword. Quy stopped an arms distance away. Corner her, but not too much. Quy smirked. “Hello, Mai. My name is Quy.” Formally, he bowed.

After a beat, Mai bowed back.

“And this is swordsman Shima,” Quy introduced. When Mai had straightened, Quy said, “Mai, you’re going to be my body double.”

Mai’s eyes narrowed. “Pardon?”

Quy tilted his head, just a little. “I know all about you, Mai. Orphan, and licensed mage healer.” He leaned in. “And an accomplished fighter.”

Fire flared in Mai, even though it was quickly subdued.

Quy smirked. “You will attend Baashi University in my place. Renowned for producing master mages,” he added.

“For men,” Mai said flatly.

Quy looked her over. “You’re flat chested enough,” he said shrugging. “And we do look very alike. And if you refuse, you will quickly find yourself homeless. And your aunt, Healer Master Tien, will be notified.”

Mai stared at him. It was almost odd to see that gold gaze from a face so like his own. “On whose authority?”

“I am Quy, son of Lady Chau and Lord Quyen. You, Mai, will attend Baashi in my place. No questions asked.”

Mai’s eyes flickered away.

Quy let the silence stretch.

“Fine,” Mai said, the smart choice.

“Good—”

“On one condition.”

Quy could almost grin. If Mai was too pushover, she wouldn’t work well as Quy’s double. “Yes? I shall be magnanimous.”

“You pay me by the hour.”

Quy smirked, and Mai flinched. “Very well. At the proper wage for a trained mage.” He held out his hand.

Mai reached out and gripped.

Quy let just a little flame dance across his palm. In this, Mai didn’t flinch.

“Mai, your work starts immediately.”

*

Khai tried not to stare at the large letters emblazing Baashi University. Tried not to shift in the new Baashi uniform.

Was aware that Quy and Shima were watching him.

Quy, son of Lady Chau and Lord Quyen.

At first, it sounded as though Quy just didn’t want to attend university. But then, Quy had mentioned maintaining his reputation and attaining a favourable rank.

Khai checked that his magic was there, and stepped through the entrance of Baashi University.

The university was ringed by thick earth-brick walls, whitewashed smooth and painted. On the inside, however, Khai could make out the pockmarks of damage from fighting.

Khai’s jaw tightened. Yes, he had heard that Baashi produced many powerful master mages. But beyond that, he didn’t know how.

There were numerous other young men dressed like him. Carefully avoiding eye contact, Khai headed towards the largest building which Kahi suspected was Baashi Hall, where the opening ceremony for the new students was supposed to be held. He flinched when someone bumped into him. Quickly, he stepped aside, and caught his voice just in time to give a low, “Sorry,” instead of a high pitched one.

But the man, instead of letting it go, turned around and narrowed his eyes at Khai. He grabbed Khai’s shoulder. “Wait. What are you doing here? Dressed like a man?”

Khai quickly glanced up. The man had dark hair, darker skin, and the bright blue eyes of a water mage.

Khai had known a water mage, once, years ago when he was still back in Karashu. But this man was not familiar. And even if he was, Khai was here as Quy.

Khai bowed his head. “You’ve mistaken me.” He shook off the man’s grip.

He could feel the weight of the mage’s gaze. With relief, Khai stepped into Baashi Hall. And cursed inwardly.

Inside, there was mayhem.

The hall was enormous: the floor dipped down stairs to a flat arena below, as the walls vaulted up into a decadent glass ceiling that let in the sunlight. At the very far end of the hall was another raised dais, flanked by two arcing waterfalls. And there was group of old male mages sitting there, watching the fighting happening below them.

Khai exhaled. Quy had known about this. But he hadn’t told Khai.

Body double indeed.

Khai eyed the fighting below. It was a mess, more akin to a battle field than orderly dueling to form ranks.

Behind him, the doors opened, and two men stepped through.

One of them eyed Khai, nudging his companion. “Heh, look at what they let in.”

The other grinned. “Yeah, shouldn’t you be in school, kid?”

Khai’s jaw tightened. Subtly, he started calling the energy from the sunlight towards him, mixing in with the fire he had caught from earlier that day.

One man cricked his neck. “Well, let’s give those old men a show, eh?” With a kick of his foot, the earth below Khai’s feet buckled and jumped and threw him backward down into the arena.

Heart in throat, Khai flipped, blasting out fire to soften his landing on the earth below. The two men jumped down after him, calling earth to them. In unison, they stepped forward. Earth rock sharpened whistling towards Khai.

Khai gritted his teeth, brought his hands together ready to propel himself back into the air, where he could then blast them from above—

A huge earth wall rose from the ground, rushing back and slamming the two men against the wall of the arena.

“Two against one?” A mage, arms out, stepped towards the men. “Try fighting someone your own size!” With a twist of his hands, earth rose and locked them. With that, he turned to Khai, smiling encouragingly. “Hey, are you alright? I’m Han.”

Khai bowed his head. “Thank you, Han. My name is Quy.”

Han made a choked sound. “Quy, son of Lord Quyen?”

Khai glanced up. “Yes.” Khai wondered exactly who was Lord Quyen.

Han took a half-step back, and said, “We should fight and determine which of us is stronger.”

Khai took a half-step back. “If you wish.”

“You don’t want to fight?” Han’s voice had climbed into confusion.

“Only when I have to,” Khai admitted. He clenched his fists together. And given his contract with Quy, he had to. Khai bowed formally. “I am Quy, son of Lady Chau and Lord Quyen. I accept your challenge.”

After a beat, Han bowed back. “Han, son of Ta and Lang. Thank you for your acceptance.”

Khai punched a sharp line of fire.

Han slashed up, and earth shielded him. With a smooth movement, he propelled it towards Khai.

The earth trembled beneath Khai’s feet. Unsteady, and a weapon in the hands of an earth mage. Khai jumped, kicking out. Fire burst across the room, sending watchers scattering.

Khai felt the unnerving sense of the gaze of those old male mages. Khai clenched, then forcefully relaxed his jaw. He’ll given them a fight to remember.

Sharpened rock hurtled towards him. Khai jumped, twisted, dodged, ignoring when he got hit as he called heat and warmth and sunlight towards him. The air rapidly chilled, ice forming across the waterfall pools, ice slicking the earth and locking it harder.

Han stepped forward, feet moving in an earth spell. And slipped. “What the—”

Khai raised his hands, and pillars of fire rose with him, arcing into a cage around Han. Han immediately tugged earth towards him. Khai punched, and flame singed the top of Han’s hair. And with his other hand, Khai slowly closed into an almost-fist. And the pillars of fire closed in too.

Han’s eyes widened, breathing heavily.

Khai stepped up to him, the fire parting easily just for him.

Han’s head lowered. “You win.”

Khai exhaled, and the flames dissipated, and heat returned to the hall. He held out a hand to Han. “That was a good match.”

Han shivered, his earth shield crumbling. After a beat, he took Khai’s hand. “Yes.”

Khai nodded. With the heat of the fight fading away, he could feel people looking at them.

A bone-weary sense of dysphoria climbed up his spine, even though he knew it was stupid. It made him feel wrong.

Khai turned to the crowd. “Who else?” he called out recklessly. Fighting would stop him thinking. He left Han behind and called fire to his fists.

*

Stupid, stupid, stupid, Khai growled at himself as he walked away from Baashi, body aching and fire burning in fits and starts.

By the time those old men had called the ceremony over, Khai had fought half-a-dozen more opponents. And his body and his clothes showed for it, soggy with mud from earth and water mages.

Quy better be satisfied. And he better pay the mage rate like he promised.

Finding a hidden alleyway, Khai did his best to dry the mud and brush off the worst of it before he headed to the apartment he was staying at.

He became apprehensive when he saw the landlady. He’d just paid his rent a few days ago, she shouldn’t be here now.

“About time you’re back, Mai!” the landlady scowled. She crossed her arms. “Pack your things immediately.”

Khai’s mood plumented. “Pardon, ma’am?”

The landlady snorted. “Don’t argue back! Get your things out and don’t bother me again!”

Khai gritted his teeth. “What about my rent?”

“For all the trouble you caused me today?” She scoffed. “Not at all!”

Fire rolled in Khai’s belly, licked at his skin. Quickly, he packed up his meagre belongings into his pack. The landlady followed closely behind, and the moment he stepped out onto the street again, she slammed the door shut.

Khai scanned the street. He needed to find Quy immediately. He needed the money.

Then, he spotted swordsman Shima.

Fire flared. Trouble? Quy was the trouble! Khai stalked over, leveling a dark look at Quy who emerged from behind Shima.

Quy had the gall to smirk. “Good afternoon, Mai. Good work at Baashi today. I’ve decided that we’ll be living together. It’ll be much easier to coordinate our movements.”

Khai looked at Quy. Quy was wearing the Immin uniform, and he had a long black wig.

Quy tugged at his uniform. “Pretty, isn’t it? I attended Immin in your place. It is much more refined and calming.”

Khai drew back a little. Quy didn’t seem fussed wearing it. Did that mean…? But Khai couldn’t bring himself to ask what pronouns Quy wanted. It would be too telling. He’d have to use neutral pronouns.

“Fine,” Khai said. “Where am I staying?”

Quy tossed back their hair. “Follow me.”

The house was in a nicer district in Taesu, with its own courtyard built for fire mages in mind. Quy showed all the different spacious rooms, commenting deprecatingly as though they were rather small and lacking.

“And this is your room,” Quy said, opening the door to the last room on the top floor. “Bathroom through there—it would not be proper to share a bathroom with me. Your payment is on the desk. Shima will be cooking dinner, so make sure you come down to eat. I can’t have my body double fainting from hunger.”

Khai bowed. “Thank you.”

Quy smirked. “I knew you would be good.” They turned and walked back downstairs.

Good! Quy sounded like his damn aunt, telling him to be a good girl.

Khai stripped off his dirty clothes, stepping into the bathroom and turning on the taps. Only after he had heated the bath to burning hot did he take off his binder and slip into the water.

At least it was just one day. Tomorrow, Baashi had lectures. There was no fighting for Khai to do, and he could attend Immin instead.

*

The next morning, Quy appeared at Khai’s bedroom holding up a fresh Baashi uniform, smirking.

“Ready, Mai?”

 

 

 

24