Chapter 5
336 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Khai returned home that night, Quy was up and waiting in the main room.

“Back late again,” they said, idly twisting their finger. The flames in the firepit in the center flared up.

“Good evening, Quy,” Khai said.

“Take a seat. Despite living in the same house, despite having the same face, we have rarely talked.”

Tense, Khai took a seat on the opposite side of the flames.

“I heard you defeated a second year student,” Quy said. “Very strong, aren’t you?”

“I don’t know.” Having another fire mage so close was odd. Khai was used to being the only one who could control flame with ease. Yet in this house, owned by Quy, the fire longed most to obey Quy first and foremost.

Quy’s smirk was sharp. “Controlling lava. Almost as if you were one of the Royal Court War Mages. My father would be pleased to hear that. As long as you don’t surpass any of the fire mage nobility.”

“I can stop using earth if it displeases you,” Khai tried.

“Mai, Mai, Mai. I’ll have to admit, I thought you a poor little orphan. Combat trained, yes, but what you have shown…who taught you, Mai?” The flames parted to side, and Quy stared him down.

“A friend,” Khai said. It was easier to keep his tongue when someone said Mai.

“Your aunt would hate to hear about this. Keeping secrets are you?”

Khai inclined his head. It was true. And it was dangerous to Khai’s combat trainer if he revealed her identity, not to mention the implicit vow of secrecy.

Quy tilted their head back, eyes glittering. “You’ve made yourself a viable target for the second years, where before they would have left you alone. I hope you’re ready to deal with that.”

Khai’s head dipped down further. “I understand.”

“Do you?” Quy snorted. “Remember this Mai, regardless of your abilities, you’re still Mai of Karashu, abandoned as a baby, adopted by someone who could only call you her niece rather than daughter. Be careful not to fall. Have a good night, Mai.”

Khai got to his feet. “Good night, Quy.” He went up to his bedroom, eyes barely focusing.

They’re jealous, Khai told himself. It didn’t stop Quy’s words from being true though.

*

Quy waited until Mai was gone. “Shima,” he said.

Upon his command, his butler emerged from the adjoining side room. “Yes, Master Quy?”

“Follow her tomorrow.”

Shima frowned. “What about you, Master?”

“I’m a proficient fire mage, don’t forget that, Shima. Something is off about Mai.”

Mai had come back late, and she was dressed like a boy. Previously, she said that she had gone out with her own face…but then which face did she mean? If she had gone out as Mai, there was a risk to Quy’s fake identity as ‘Mai’ at Immin University. If she had gone out as ‘Quy’, there was direct risk to Quy himself. Either way, Quy could not be left in the dark.

Shima bowed. “Yes, Master.”

*

When Khai arrived at Baashi the next morning, there was a tense group waiting for him. To one side, stood Han, Raah and Jin. To the other, Ginzan, and in the middle of the two sides, Song.

Eyes sliding over Song, Khai went to Han’s side. “Good morning.”

“It’s a good morning now that you’ve joined us,” Ginzan said, smiling winningly. The breeze teased his long white hair.

“No,” Song said flatly.

Ginzan rolled his eyes. “You had your fun with him. Now it’s my turn. I challenge you to a duel, Quy, son of Lord Quyen.”

“You have to fight me first,” Song said, stepped half between Ginzan and Khai.

“You have to fight me first,” Han said louder.

Ginzan smirked. “If you are fighting on Quy’s behalf…then if you lose, Quy will become my girlfriend.”

Han and Song both bristled.

“No!” Song said.

“He’s not a girl,” Han growled.

Khai’s mood plummeted and he fixed Ginzan with an unimpressed look. “Fine. We’ll fight, Ginzan. Tomorrow. I’m too damn tired right now.” He glanced at Han, Raah and Jin. “Come on, we have lectures to get to.”

Song slapped Ginzan on the arm. “What was that? Why do you keep wanting to make him your girlfriend? You’re not gay!”

“For someone like that, it’s not hard to be flexible.”

Khai slashed fire into the air above Ginzan’s head. “Don’t joke,” he growled. Then, annoyed that he had snapped and fallen for Ginzan’s taunts, Khai fixed his gaze firmly at the lecture hall building and didn’t look back.

*

Han exchanged a worried glance at Raah and Jin, and the three of them hurried to catch up with Khai/Quy.

“Are you still hurt from yesterday?” Han asked quietly into Khai’s ear.

Khai stiffened, and the air around him heated up. “I’m fine.”

Han swallowed a sigh.

“Oh, Quy, did you get that assignment done? I would really like your help,” Jin said brightly.

Khai looked relieved for the distraction. But for once, Han wished that they could talk about their feelings.

They spent so much time together, both at Baashi, and down in the lower districts. But neither of them had talked much about their past, about their families. Han didn’t even know Khai’s favourite colour, and he wasn’t going to be stupid and say “red, like fire!”

Han stumbled to a stop, and frowned at himself. What did Khai’s favourite colour have to do with anything?

“Han?” Raah prodded him.

Han startled. “Right, yes, sorry, what?”

Raah rolled his eyes. “Come on,” he said, and hustled him into the lecture hall.

*

Han immediately stood when Khai approached the tea shop in his usual healer-mage clothing.

“Khai…” he started.

“Healer Khai!” Mr. Kiri called out.

Khai gave Han a nod and headed over to Mr. Kiri. “Good afternoon Mr. Kiri.”

“There are a handful of folks who need you to visit them,” Mr. Kiri said.

Han slumped, crestfallen. Of course Khai had better things to do than spend time alone with him.

“I need someone who knows where they live,” Khai said.

Mr. Kiri beckoned Han over. “Young Han, help me along with Healer Khai.”

“What if I have schoolwork, Mr. Kiri?” Han said.

Mr. Kiri chuckled. “If you were going to do it, you wouldn’t be here waiting for Healer Khai, now would you?”

Han fought not to blush. “I’ll tell Mage Yang to make you a cane, Mr. Kiri.” He helped Mr. Kiri up.

“Thanks for this,” Khai said, smiling.

At that, Han’s mood lifted again. “You’re welcome.”

Mr. Kiri chuckled. “Young men, hmm.”

As Mr. Kiri directed them to various different houses, Han had the chance to watch Khai at work. If he focused, he could sense the flow of magic around Khai. It was mesmerising, the way the magic moved in pattern, overlayed by natural flicker of fire that kept Han engrossed.

Evening arrived along with Mage Yang, who collected them to another open-air dinner by the Water Fountains that was even more extensive than last time.

In the flickering light of the fire, and as Yang and Mr. Kiri carried the conversation, Han found himself zoning out on Khai’s face once again. The flames naturally shifted to Khai, contrary to any breeze, and his eyes were bright gold in the light.

“Mage Yang. I heard rumours of you stealing my son.” The sound of his mother’s voice sliced through Han’s light daze.

He scrambled to his feet. “Mother!”

His mother tapped her feet on the ground. Behind her, Han’s sister Mian looked around with sharp eyed curiousity, her lips twisted into a smirk.

Han’s mother smiled stiffly. “Han, your father works hard to give you the opportunity to attend Baashi. And yet, you are here instead of studying.”

Han stared down at his feet, ears burning. “Sorry, Mother.”

“Madam Ta,” Mr. Kiri said. “Let the boy have some fun!”

“Don’t tell me how to raise my children, Mr. Kiri,” Han’s mother said sharply.

“And who’s the girl?” Mian piped up, staring at Khai. “You looked like you have a massive crush. You used to be so awful talking to girls, we thought you might have been gay!” Mian stepped closer, peering at Khai. “But I guess she looks a bit like a boy.”

Yang rose to her feet. As did Khai, who said first, “I am Mage Healer Khai. I’m not a girl. And there’s nothing wrong with being gay.”

Han shivered. He could feel Khai’s fire spreading out, licking the air. It encompassed him, ready and safe, despite the sudden heat from the flames.

And the way Khai said it—there’s nothing wrong with being gay—it sounded as though Khai was like that. Once, Han had accidentally read about an old Emperor and the story of the cut sleeve, among the books in Yang’s collection. But ordinary people did not have epic romances.

“All healers are girls,” Mian said, glancing at their mother.

“Then you have been taught wrongly,” Yang said smoothly. “Madam Ta, I would never steal your son. Han is a good young man, and your parenting played a large role.”

Han glanced at Yang. A large role. Not a good role.

Ta’s lips thinned and her eyes narrowed. “Thank you,” she said stiffly. “Han, come. We’re going home.”

“Yes, Mother.” Han turned to the others, pasted on a smile. “Thank you, tonight was lovely. I’ll see you—goodbye.”

Khai reached out, and the sense of fire brushed against his skin.

Han forced his smile up. “Have a good night.”

And he turned resolutely and followed his mother and sister back home.

*

“That Madam Ta,” Mr. Kiri muttered.

“Hush,” Yang said.

Khai sighed as the sense of flame-that-was-Han moved further and further away until it was blurred amongst all the other heat. He dropped his head into his hands. Stupid, stupid! He’d definitely made things worse for Han.

“I should go,” Khai forced out. “I need to study too.”

“And let her win?” Mr. Kiri pulled a face.

Kiri,” Yang said. “We’re not keeping you here, Khai. I just wanted...to talk to you for a moment.”

Khai quickly gave goodbyes to the others around the fire. With a gentle hand, Yang led him out of the Fountains and onto a darkened street.

Yang turned to him. “On the day of that building fire...you were in Immin’s uniform. And your healer’s licence had the name Mai.”

Khai sucked in a breath. Automatically, heat flared across his palms.

“Calm down,” Yang said. “I believe you. You’re Khai, and you’re not a girl. But attending Immin, are you alright?”

Khai bowed his head. “I’m actually attending Baashi under a different name. I swapped places with someone else,” he admitted.

Yang looked at him. “Han knew you.”

Khai nodded.

“You’re strong,” Yang said plainly. “But we’ll be here if you ever need us. My home is open for you. It must be hard, to pretend all the time. Stay safe if you can, Khai.”

Khai’s lip trembled, his throat tight, and all he could do was nod. Yang pulled him into a hug.

“Stay safe,” she repeated.

“Yes,” Khai said quietly. Yang patted him on the arm one more time, and let him head home.

*

Quy was waiting for Khai at home, the firepit burning white. Behind them, Shima stood, turned to the side.

“Welcome back, Mai,” Quy said. “Or should I say...Khai?”

Khai’s stomach dropped. He glanced to Shima, who continued to look away.

“What are you, Mai?” Quy asked. “Word on the street is that you’re a boy. But I have copies of your birth documents, Mai. And you’re running around, playing healer to the poor folk. Is that how you get off?”

Khai clenched his fists. “No.”

Quy rolled their eyes. “You’re horrible at lying. This facade has gone on long enough. I’ve grown sick of it,” Quy said. “You’ve been passable enough at fighting. But you don’t have the true composure of a son of Lord Quyen.”

Khai tried to breathe.

“You’ve taken the top first year rank at Baashi. And you know have Han, Raah and Jin as your retainers. They are sufficient to keep me from any further distasteful fighting. I’ll let you go back to Immin with the women. It’s clear that you’ve forgotten how to be a girl.” Quy tilted their head back. “And I’ll be magnanimous. I’ll let you stay the night in this house. But after that, I’d prefer not to see you again. Oh, and grow your hair out. Short hair looks ugly on you.” They threw something at Khai. “Your lecture schedule at Immin.”

Khai glanced at it. All the courses he had chosen beforehand for Immin were absent, replaced with a scattering of other subjects.

Khai forced himself to bow. “Thank you for your kindness, Quy. Thank you for your hospitality.” He hesitated, and decided to throw caution to the wind. “Tell me, Quy, why did you wear the girls’ uniform, why did you attend Immin? Are you not a boy, Quy?”

Quy sneered. “Don’t think what I did is interchangeable with youweirdness. To hold my deception at Baashi, someone needed to make an appearance at Immin. Pretending to be a girl is easy, seeing them all fooled. After all, I am Quy, son of Lady Chau and Lord Quyen.”

The words made Khai’s stomach sink. His hope of any commonality dissipated. Khai nodded stiffly and turned away up the stairs.

He thought of going to Immin made him want to run away. He knew nothing of the subjects, nothing of the university, nothing of the friends Quy had met as ‘Mai’. Meanwhile, Quy apparently knew everything about Khai’s movements as ‘Quy’ at Baashi.

Yang immediately sprang to mind. But he couldn’t stay with her indefinitely.

But he wished she was here. He wished Han was here, he wished his secret combat trainer was here. But what could he tell them? He had been so, so stupid.

There was only one thing he could do right now. He started packing.

20