Chapter 3 – Packing for Journey
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence

Little by little the shivers running down Mithocht's spine ceased. Her gaze, fixed on the TV, slowly moved away from the screen and turned to the paper sheet white face of her sister. Joetun stared back, her eyes reflecting a figure that was at least as pale and lost as her.

Mithocht's trembling lips opened, her shaky voice caused her words to merge: "S-Sh-Shit, shit-t, shit. What, what should we do? Shit, fucking shit, shit! Aesthma is still out there, what are we gonna do if she's become one of them too?!"

With every word she became angrier and more horrified, her tongue was lame, making her speech sound unclear. At every 'S' she lisped, while the blood, which had now dried, crumbled from the cuts on her cheeks and fell like snowflakes on her black T-shirt.

Joetun felt paralyzed and could only watch her elder sister's outburst. Her features became even more distorted as she thought of their little sister.

She stood up, the glass crunched, the paper towels that had fallen to the floor before crumpled and tore under her feet. She couldn't stand sitting around any longer.

"Let's go look for her, we can't leave her out there."

She drew deep breaths into her lungs, but with the oxygen, fear and anxiety finally seemed to settle. Her pulse pounded in her ears and face. A choking, cold feeling gripped her heart, which was so desperate to pump blood to her brain. Tears, of sheer horror, ran down her reddened cheeks without ever dripping from her chin as they dried first, and with the blood took on a brown-red color.

Crunch.

Joetun also rose.

"Mhm," she uttered an agreeing sound. Her slender, yet curvy figure moved carefully across the sparkling floor. In the hallway, she turned to the storeroom.

Mithocht sobbed softly as she ran into the kitchen.

She looked at the chaos lying before her.

Broken glass, scattered spices and demolished cupboards, the only objects that remained intact were the cooking utensils made of metal, plastic and wood.

Her trepidation at the sight of them tightened her throat. But she maneuvered to the tap and grabbed one of the many plastic water bottles that had survived. She grabbed some of them, filled them with water, and put them into one of the shopping bags that were stored next to the bottles, it was a red one that could be carried on her back like a backpack.

In addition to the cool water bottles, she put other things in the bag. All the cool packs that were still in the refrigerator, the easily spoilt things, bread, knives wrapped in rags, and an iron scoop.

Before she finally grabbed the heavy fire poker. It was dark in color, its length adorned by twisted parts, the end piece was bent into a kind of handle that protected the knuckles, and the shiny silver tip was bent into a hook.

Mithocht could feel how the weight of the bag together with the poker calmed her jumping thoughts a little.

She stepped out of the kitchen, Joetun was already waiting for her in the living room, on her back hung a real backpack, it was brown and made for long camping or hiking trips. It belonged to Aesthma, as she was the only one who enjoyed hiking and was already packed with all kinds of equipment, from sleeping bags to special cooking equipment.

Joetun was still as pale as a corpse, which under normal circumstances would even be welcomed by her, but now just looked heartbreakingly sad.

"Do you have anything to defend yourself with?"

Mithocht inspected her sister, Joetun had changed her clothes, instead of high heels she wore boots, her lascivious clothes exchanged for a white shirt with cat print and trousers.

Joetun nodded hesitantly, she pulled out a whip from behind her, a slightly ashamed red rose to her cheeks.

Mithocht looked at her sister with surprised and questioning eyes.

"I bought this once at a fair," Joetun groaned reluctantly after a while, despite the terrible situation they were in, a shameful rage drenched her voice, "I thought it looked cool, but I never had any plans to use it. Stop looking at me like that!"

The corners of Mithochts mouth twitched a little, but she kept her composure and said: "You should also take a blunt weapon, for Aesthma, of course."

Joetun snorted but disappeared into the storeroom for another time before she stepped out with the extendable, metal handle of a mop.

"Satisfied?"

Her voice was still a bit grumpy, she put the pole away while Mithocht nodded.

"Did you bring the first aid kit too? Aesthma may be injured." Or dead. Joetun nodded bitterly, why did this happen to Aesthma of all people, the one with the car?

The worry about their younger sister made Mithocht and Joetun focus their minds.

"Then, let's go?" Mithocht approached the door, her sister close behind her, "but we can't be gone for more than three days." Her tone was very serious when she whispered this.

"Yes," her sister exhaled.

They had heard the rules, if they lost this one advantage, their only chance, all hope of survival was gone.

Their bodies trembled as soon as they thought of the scene on the television.

After a few deep breaths Mithocht finally put her hand on the cast-iron handle of the heavy wooden door.

"Ready?"

Mithocht looked deep into Joetun's eyes.

"Ready."

Joetun stared back, her eyes firm.

They had to find their sister, regardless of dead or alive.

They hadn't gone through all that together to be separated forever in the end.

The door handle gradually pointed towards the ground, until finally the wooden door was pushed open with a creepy squeak.

Mithocht and Joetun stepped out of the safe house into the grey world.

2