Chapter 4 – Appearance
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Static was rumbling from the car radio.

It took a long time until a tanned hand, covered with cuts and bruises, reached for the off-switch. Powerless, several fingers had to press against the button before a relaxing silence descended on the car.

Suddenly a soft rustle sounded from the driver's side.

A collapsed female figure began to separate from the collapsed fabric of the airbag. It seemed as though her body straightened in slow motion, shards of glass slid from her back to the floor and between her body and the back of the seat. It took even longer for her head to lean against the headrest of the driver's seat.

Her face was twisted in pain, bruises and abrasions sent waves of pain rushing through her body over and over again. Especially her neck and face throbbed, stung, and fought for her undivided attention.

Tears welled up in her eyes, her pulse quickened and any air left in her lungs seemed too little. Whimpering, she grabbed the handle of her car door with one hand and tried to open it. The door did not budge.

Everything else became unimportant, she frantically shook the door, but it was of no use. Meanwhile, choked screams and heart-wrenching sobs escaped her lips.

Hastily she loosened her seatbelt. It shot up. The incisions left by it were irritated again, began to sting and burn.

With her neck tensed and shoulders raised, she rammed her upper body against the car door. The last remains of glass from the window were pierced in her exposed shoulder. As soon as she pulled her body back to ram it against the door once more, trickles of blood flowed from the wounds. They coated her skin and the door with a sticky red, ram upon ram, the door became slipperier. Her upper arm slipped off, and with a loud crack, an overwhelming pain shot through her nerves into her throbbing, stinging head.

She screamed, but the door yield at last. As the door swung open, the inertia pulled her body down, automatically she curled up her body. Her back collided with the glass-covered street, causing her hip to twist and enormous pain to shoot through her spine.

Despite the pain, she was able to really breathe for the first time.

Trembling, she took one breath after another.

Saliva dripped from her mouth, tears and sweat ran down her face.

Carefully she pulled her waist and legs out of the vehicle. Dizziness made the surroundings spin around her

She lay on the floor panting.

It took a very long time until she could finally move her arms, or rather arm, to support her body.
With eyes closed and teeth clenched she sat up.

A short break.

She took another deep breath and opened her eyes.

The sky was gloomy.

In the middle of the red-hot sun was a black spot, standing before the sun like an entrance to infinite darkness.

Or like an eye that looked down on the unimportant creatures that proudly called themselves 'Homo Sapiens Sapiens'.

Everywhere lay shattered glass, reflecting the bloody light of the sun.

But this was not what Aesthma was looking at.

Empty gazes burning on the skin. Claws that were stretched out in greed, but never reached the thing of their desire. Mouths that bared their unnaturally sharp teeth and tongues that were stretched out towards her.

Monsters.

Monsters, like from a horror movie. They sat in their seats and looked down on her. Wildly they beat their car doors and seats.

Their white skin seemed to be just enough for their bodies, purple veins stood out like an artistic spider web, the long, scrawny limbs had pointed claws at their ends, shaped like fish rakes, their hair had taken on the same icy white as their skin. But despite all this, the most horrible part of their appearance were probably their eyes. Black sockets, whose excess skin, which were probably their eyelids, swayed with every movement they made.

Aesthma stiffened, her eyes widened in fear.

The monsters in front of her made no noise, they were completely silent, only the squeaking of the car testified for their existence.

She forced herself to stand up, never turning her gaze away from the car behind her.

This made her really aware of her injuries.

Countless cuts and abrasions were scattered all over her body, her shoulder either broken or dislocated. A laceration probably also adorned her forehead, and her neck seemed, hopefully only, sprained. Only her legs were largely unharmed.

The monsters in the car became rampant, clawing the paint of their crushed car and drumming on seats.

Step by step Aesthma left the environment of her car and headed for a building.

Endless lines of cars stood on both sides of her, from some she could hear the monsters scratching and thrashing inside.

Her steps accelerated at this thought.

She reached the cafe next to the car.

The windows separating the outside world from the ice cream were smashed, melted ice dripped from the shelf and made sweet stains on the floor. But there were no insects to be seen yet.

Aesthma reached the formerly glass door, intending to enter the store.

The relief of having found a place that had a landline phone could not even set before something caught Aesthma's top and pulled her back roughly.

She lost her balance and fell to the ground, dragging her attacker with her.

The grip on her shirt came loose, but that was no comfort. The wide-open mouth of the white monster was about to land on her chest.

She stretched out her functional arm and pushed the monster away from her, a long tongue about to touch her throat.

The monster crashed to the ground next to her, but it didn't give up.

It straightened its upper body and struck at her with its claws.

She dodged, the claws bouncing off the floor and getting caught in a crack in the curb.

Taking advantage of the delay of this attack, Aesthma twisted her body so that her foot could kick firmly against the affected arm of the monster.

With a crunch, the arm snapped and the monster slumped forward, but did not forget to strike at Aesthma.

The attack succeeded, the claw remained stuck in the motionless arm with a bloody wound, the monster pulled itself closer with a jerk.

Aesthma screamed in pain.

The mouth approached quickly, ready to bite when Aesthma shoved something into it.

Its own arm was mercilessly torn apart by the monster.

Violet, cold blood splashed around, and icy flesh fell on Aesthma's face.

With her legs, Aesthma pushed herself away and tried to remove the claw from her shoulder.

The monster didn't give her a chance, once it had turned its arm into mincemeat, it immediately bit down on Aesthma again.

The purple discolored teeth came closer to her throat.

In her hopelessness, she grabbed the only thing the monster did not destroy. Its claws.

She aimed the pointed ends upwards.

Without slowing down, the mouth of the creature rushed towards the claw.

The monster went limp.

1