The City
93 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Down under the the fake house was a old dusty forgotten tunnel. Skulls of unfortunate people formed the walls of the catacombs Sasha, Todd, and Gnar found themselves in. They walked down this tunnel of horrors, not knowing what they would come across. Gnar was a little spooked by all the death that surrounded him, but after finding an old bone to play with his fears quickly dissipated.

When they reached the end of the tunnel, a toll booth greeted them with a small red demon inside. He was wearing a miniature set of armor like the ones the guards wore in khor. Todd wondered if there was a set standard for guard armor.

“Hello, do you have the necessary identification to pass,” grumbled the little red devil.

The group had know idea what the little guy was talking about, but Todd guessed the coin he found had something to do with this. He pulled the red blood drop coin and handed it to the demon.

The demon visibly straightened. He looked nervous.

“Sorry sir. I didn’t realize you were one of the blood ones. I’m sorry for any inconvenience. I promise this will never happen again,” the demon said as rambled on and on. “

The grim ornate gates slowly creaked open, allowing the group to pass. The tunnel dipped downward, leading them deeper and deeper underground. Finally, an opening emerged. A sprawling underground city lay before them. Its size was astonishing especially considering it had been carved out of stone, rock, and dirt.

Every undead creature roamed the streets. Skeletons and walking corpses made up the vast majority of creatures, but Todd spotted the occasional Shade flying through the city’s buildings. Sasha was convinced the only way they would ever find Gubba was to ask around to Todd’s dismay. He wasn’t particularly fond of asking for directions, especially when the people they were asking weren’t exactly alive.

After scanning the area, they decided to ask a small zombie sitting in a chair outside of a general store.

“Hey, we lost one of our goblins down here and aren’t really all the familiar with area. Do you know where he could’ve ended up,” Sasha asked nicely.

“I can help you if you pay me the right price,” said the little zombie. “You’re not a vampire by any chance?”

“No I’m not,” an annoyed Sasha flatly responded. “Why was everyone so afraid of vampires?” she thought

“Well, I’m happy to show you around the city. I'll do it for 5 copper.”

“Ok, well these are my companions Todd and Gnar. What’s your name?,” Sasha replied.

“I’m Bob, but some people call me Bobby.”

“Well Bob, where are you going to take us first?” Todd asked.

“A buddy of mine works for the government census so he should be able to help us find who you’re looking for. “

They four of them began their tour of the city. Bob would point out specific structures and talk about who lived there and what they did. Vampires were the upper class in this society because their physical superiority over the other decomposing undead . They didn’t run the government but were treated as figureheads for the city.

The city was a democracy. Anyone who was a citizen was allowed to run for office but realistically only a few types of monsters were ever elected. Skeletons had the biggest voting population so they made up the majority of city representatives. Three of the five city council members were skeletons. One was a shade and the other was a zombie. Zombie’s never really ever took office so it was a surprise when Frank was elected two cycles ago. Bob hoped his representation would lead to social reform that would better reflect the zombies’ needs.

While zombies didn’t have it the worst, they did have the negative stereotypes of being brainless and cold. Bob strongly disagreed with this sentiment, stating that zombies were some of the most passionate people you could ever meet.

Todd and Sasha weren’t convinced. They had heard rumors of zombies eating people’s brains before.

Eventually they reached the government facility where Frank worked. It had taken almost two hours to walk to the other side of the city. They even got to witness a vampire being swarmed by journalists desperate to catch the next big story.

Bob knocked on the office door where Frank worked. Slowly the door opened revealing the government worker. He was taller and broader than Bob, but lacked a lot of the clean flesh Bob had on him. The left side of Franks face was visibly rotten and his bone peaked out of a hole in his jaw.

“Aw Bob, you’re back. How can I help you?,” stated Frank.

“I’ve got these nice folks looking for a goblin they lost down here. I thought you could help us locate it.”

“You know I’m not allowed to disclose census information freely. I could get in real trouble Bob. At least let me meet with them to see what they’re like before we do some business.”

“You sure they’re not vampires? I guess I better help them to be safe. Don’t want the higher up to find out I turned one away.”

“Do they have any way to pay me for their services?” Frank asked Bob

Bob glanced at Todd and Sasha.

“How does some silver sound?” Sasha asked

“I can get you the info for fifteen. It’ll take me about thirty minutes to look through the records. What’s his name?”

“Gubba,” Gnar said.

The four of them waited for Frank to look through all the public records for Gubba. It only took about twenty minutes for Frank to call them back in.

“It says here that Gubba is fully owned by Vlad the Third, Noble of the Western Province. It looks like you’re going have trouble getting him back.”

Bob gasped. Vlad was infamous for cruelty and went to great lengths to secure his property. Selling yourself to Vlad was considered worse than selling your soul to the devil. At least souls who worked for the devil had a workers union.

“You guys should just go buy a new goblin. It’s not worth messing with Vlad,” stated Bob.

“That’s not an option. We promised to bring him back to Gnar’s tribe. We’re going to get him back,” Todd said firmly.

Bob nearly fainted.

4