Confrontation
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gale and Todd decided it was time to cross another name off the dreaded list. Hopefully repossessing their next target’s stolen goods wouldn’t be as eventful as the previous one. Gale decided that Tim Haddle, a calm laid back individual, would be a relatively easy person to get his gear from. 

They agreed the best approach would be to confront him about his overdue gear and try to convince him to return it. Gale knew where he usually dug so it didn’t take Gale and Todd long to find Tim hammering at some rock.

“Hey, Tim,” said Gale not wanting to to startle the young miner.

“What do you want Gale. I’m busy.”

“The old man says your pick is long overdue. He wants us to go retrieve it for him.”

“I can’t. It’s all I got right now. It’s not like I’ll be given another starting pick,” Tim said frowning.

“I’ll trade you my starter pick for the stolen one. Look we’re going to have to pry it from you if you don’t cooperate. This way you won’t have to worry about the shopkeeper coming after you in the future,” argued Gale.

“I can do that,” said Tim grimly replied. Todd and Tim traded picks.

After meeting with Tim, both Todd and Gale had decided the next name they would take of the list would be Wave Rite. He usually worked close to Tim so it wasn’t long before they found him.

“Hey Bale, the shopkeeper needs his pick back. You’ve stopped paying rent on it,” said Gale.

“I’ve was planning on going there later today. I’ve just saved up enough or to pay him back. We can head over there right now if you want.”

Todd and Gale were eager to receive their first shipment of explosives, so they quickly agreed. The three of them made there way to the old man’s shop. As they got closer to turning in the pick, a group of men blocked their path. Todd and Gale had no doubt they were Riley’s thugs. They wondered how he had caught them.

“Well, it looks like we’ve found our culprits. I’m surprised we haven’t met,” said Riley as he walked into view. “You should’ve stopped while you were ahead.”

“How’d you figure it out,” said Todd.

“I didn’t. Little Tim came to me asking for a reward for ratting you two out. I’m a fair man so I obliged. Watching your corpses rot is well worth the 50 pounds of iron.”

Todd had watched too many movies when he lived back on Earth, to not know how detrimental villain monologues were. As Riley was jabbering, Todd swung Bale’s pick impaling one of Riley’s goons in the head. Todd pulled on the lodged pick, but it was stuck in the man’s skull.

Everyone was quick to react. Since all weapons were confiscated on site, picks were used to smash each other to pieces. Todd dodged a pickaxe that nearly landed in his should, kneeing the man in the gut. He keeled over.

One of the thugs charged Gale and landed a punch on his arm, knocking him off balance. Wave tackled the guy that had punched Gale, allowing him to recover before Riley quickly swung a pick at him.

Gale wasn’t quick enough and was hit in the chest. His ribs were cracked and he laid on the floor dazed and in searing pain. Todd had managed to subdue both of his combatants. He leapt towards Riley as the man brought down his pick for the finishing blow. Todd managed to tackle him but only after Riley had crushed Gale’s skull with his pick.

An enraged Todd pummeled Riley who was now lying on the cold stone floor. Riley whimpered as Todd drove his knuckles into the crumpled man below him. Fist after fist landed on Riley until he was motionless. Tears streamed from Todds eyes. He felt no remorse for what he had done, only remorse for not doing it sooner. Gale was dead.

On the floor laid five bodies. One was Gale and the rest were Riley’s men. Wave sat up against the wall, tired and bruised from the fight. They sat there catching their breath. In silence, the began crawling to the shopkeeper. The day wasn’t over.

1