Chapter 3: A Desperate Father
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I've been thinking about it a few weeks after I met the two. But after what happened yesterday, I finally decided to change my line of work. Time to finally get a real job.

"Huh? Where you going bro?"

Cody asked me as I was about to leave.

"Off to find a new job, hopefully one with less shitty people like you said"

"oh right... um... sorry about the whole wasting money and stuff... I promise I'll never do it again!"

He looked a bit down as he said that

guess he's really feeling guilty about it huh? I'm glad that he's actually thinking about what he did but I don't want to see him being so down because of it. Well, guess I'll try to cheer him up a bit.

"That's alright. Oh, and how about this. If you do a really good job at cleaning up the place, I'll buy you the next volume of that book you like so much"

"Really?!"

"Really"

"Alright! By the time you get back here this place would be spick and span!"

"Now that's what I want to hear. Now off to duty soldier!"

"OOOOOH!"

I smiled as I looked at the back of the boy that looks like he's about to start world war 3 against the germs.

"VOLCANIC BROOM!"

maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

As I was lost in thought, I saw a little girl running towards me.

"Oh Alice, you want me to buy you something too?"

"Huh? Oh it's not that. You left your lucky charm, I know you never leave without it."

She said as she gave me the wallet containing the four-leaf clover.

"You're a real lifesaver! That's it, I'm buying you something. So what do you want?"

"Um... some new clothes would be nice"

"Alright, you can count on me in picking the clothes too. I'm pretty confident in my fashion sense you know."

After I said that, Alice looked at me from top to bottom and sighed.

"nevermind"

"Ouch! Girl, that hurts. Do you know how long it took me to decide on these clothes? 5 seconds! That's 3 more seconds than usual."

"Yeah yeah..."

As Alice went inside the building, I took out my lucky charm from the wallet and looked at it for a good few seconds.

***

Before everything else, I went to one of the guys I knew who makes fake identities.

"So what's this for? Your boss got another job for you?"

"You could say that"

After that, I applied for a job at one of the convenient stores I often go to. And just like what I expected, the pay wasn't as great as the previous "job" I had.

It ain't much, but it's honest work

Before I head back, I decided to buy the next volume of the comic Cody liked so much and also some new clothes for Alice.

I thought my brain was about to catch fire as I decided to actually think about it for more than 5 seconds. I racked my brain thinking about what clothes a little girl would actually like.

As I was intensely staring at the clothes for little girls, the people around me started looking at me strangely.

Please don't call the cops

***

That had to be the most exhausting thing I've ever experienced. I usually don't care about what people think of me but... those stares, especially from the girl at the counter.

"Phew... What a day"

As I was about to head back, I saw a man that appears to be in his late 30's running towards me.

"Hey! Young man!"

I stopped and looked at him with a cold expression.

"What do you want?"

"Huh? I'm sorry but don't you recognize me? I'm the guy you saved at the alley."

"You didn't answer my question"

My personality might have become lighter towards the two. But I'm still the same towards strangers.

"I j-just wanted to express my gratitude for saving me that day. I would offer you a drink but I promised myself to never touch that stuff again. So how about dinner?"

"I'm fine, so fuck off"

As I was about to leave, my stomach started growling. I stopped and thought about the offer some more as I looked at the gifts I was carrying.

My wallet's feeling a lot lighter today. Guess accepting the offer isn't too bad. It's free food after all.

*sigh*

"Fine, I'll take you up on that offer"

"Glad to hear that"

***

We went to one of the restaurants nearby. The man asked me what I wanted to order and I just replied with "anythings good"

When the food finally arrived in front of me, my mouth started watering and I began eating to my heart's content.

The man looked at me with a smiled

"You know, you remind me of my son. He has a foul mouth and a rough personality, but underneath all that, he's got a heart of gold"

As I was stuffing my face with food. The man suddenly started talking out of nowhere.

"The hell you talking about?"

"Just some random rumbling of an old man, please don't mind and continue"

The man said with a smile then looked outside the window as if reminiscing about the past.

As I was about done, I looked back at the man in front of me.

"You barely touched your food"

I pointed out as the man was spacing out.

"Sorry... I don't have much of an appetite"

After he said that, the man once again looked outside the window.

His eyes were filled with guilt and loneliness. I was very familiar with those eyes. I had them for 3 years.

The feeling of regret still lingers inside me as I thought about the past. The feeling of wanting to go back and right the wrongs I made. But all of that is just wishful thinking, you cannot undo what's already been done. The only thing all of us can do... Is to keep moving forward. The man in front of me might be holding a similar feeling. But that's none of my business.

"It seems that it's getting late, we should probably head back now."

***

Before we parted ways, I thought of giving the man a piece of advice.

"Don't go wandering around dark suspicious alleyways next time got it"

"I'll keep that in mind"

The man said with a wry smile

"Then, see you old man"

"Yeah, you too. have a safe trip"

I've been thinking about this ever since I met him. But the man wasn't looking too good. Guess that's the fate of all corporate slaves.

I looked back at the man and saw him stumbling about holding his sides.

"Ah!"

I grabbed the man before he fell down

"You plan on sleeping on the ground or something"

"haha... thanks. I'm just a little exhausted that's all. Would you kindly help me get to that bench over there."

"Sure"

***

We sat down on the bench and was silent for a while.

"I'm guessing I wasn't exactly on time when I saved you"

"No...please don't say that. If you didn't come for me at that time, I would've been a goner"

"..."

"...The doctor said I should've stayed for a couple more days to recover. But I was too stubborn, so please don't blame yourself. This is my fault"

"You were also wandering around a shady place. So yeah, I guess your right, this is entirely your fault."

"haha..."

"So... why were you wandering around there in the first place?"

"...to find my missing kids."

His kids huh?

"And the reason you got out of the hospital before you fully recovered?"

"to continue my search"

"You crazy old man. You'll make your wife worry if you keep doing this."

"My wife passed away a year ago..."

"..."

"...I've been doing this for 5 months now. My children were the only ones I have left in my life and I..."

I saw his fist clenched. He seems to be really angry at himself for what he did. Whatever that is...

"I haven't been able to sleep properly ever since they left. And just when I thought I found a trace-"

"You got jumped by some thugs"

"right... I guess you could say I got blinded with hope after a guy said they saw my kids near the place. I became oblivious and wandered to a place I shouldn't have. But... I'm really desperate... I just want to see my kids again."

"Why didn't you go to the police"

"I did but they weren't much help"

"Look, I hate to break it you but 5 months is a long time for a kid to be missing. For all you know they might even be de-"

"Don't... please don't..."

Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

The man looked worn down and his face was filled with desperation.

"...I'm sorry"

"no... that's alright..."

"..."

"..."

Agh... this silence is killing me.

"...hey, maybe I could help. I might've bumped into them without realizing it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I got a lot of free time in my hands. I'll let you know if I see them"

"Thank you, I really appreciate your help"

"So, you got a picture of them or something"

"Ah yes! Here."

The man took out a picture of his kids and showed it to me.

I froze the moment I saw the picture.

The memories of the bruised and black-eyed little girl and the wounded little boy popped up in my head.

I was suddenly filled with unrelenting rage and bloodlust.

"I still couldn't forgive myself for what I did back then. I don't care if they won't forgive me. I just want to see them alive and well"

As I was getting ready to kill the man in front of me, I saw the face of my old man overlapping with his and I managed to somehow hold myself back.

[I'm really really really sorry son! Please come back!]

Damn it! That memory again.

The truth is, I never had any intention of saving the man in the first place. I've had my fair shares of muggings in the past and I usually ignore other people getting mugged. It really is just none of my business.

But the scene of the man kneeling on the ground surrounded by thugs made me remember a memory of the past that kept haunting me to this day. That's probably why my body moved on its own and started beating up those thugs.

"So... do they look familiar to you?"

The man asked me as I calmed down. Looking at him now, it seems like he truly regret what he did. The guilt from his eyes are evident and he doesn't seem to be lying. Maybe... It's fine for the two to finally return to their home. It's alot better than living with a stranger in an old abandoned place.

"I-"

[...Guess I won't be sleeping properly tonight...]

As I was about to answer, I was suddenly reminded of the past before I met the two. It was a life of anger, loneliness and despair. The memories of those days are still very vivid in my mind.

"...I-"

[Agh! Huf huf... Fuck! That fucking dream again!]

"I-"

[Maybe... if I jump from here... the pain would stop...]
.....

"n-no... I've never seen them before..."

"...is that so... yeah, I should've expected as much. Please call me if you saw them. Here's my number"

I then received the paper from the man containing his contact number.

"Thank you again for all your help. Well, I have to get going."

I sat there dazed as I stare at the back of the man leaving. It looks like the man is going to continue his search even at this time.

After he left, I started having thoughts like

That's probably all just an act.

and

I bet he's still a scumbag.

The cold breeze brushed past me as I looked up the night sky.

"I... did the right thing right?"

***

My mind was jumbled as I was walking back to that old abandoned place. I kept coming up with different excuses to justify my answer. But deep down I know... all of these thoughts are just that, excuses.

Once I finally got home, I was greeted with the sight of a warzone. It looks like the place became a bigger mess than before I left. But for some reason, I wasn't mad. Quite the opposite actually, it felt pretty comforting. Because I know, the two are home waiting for me.

When Alice saw me at the entrance, she went up to me with an annoyed face.

"Bro, this isn't working."

She then looked back at Cody

"Hey Cody, you're demoted to a chair."

"W-what!?"

Yeah, I needed this.

"Good idea. My legs are killing me."

"B-bro?"

This warm atmosphere, I never want to let it go.

"Zip it. I don't wanna hear it."

"B-but-"

I then took out a book and waved it around.

"If you want this, show me your resolve and become the best furniture the world has ever seen!"

"OGRE'S CHAIR ACTIVATE!"

"I'll remember that"

"KING'S THRONE ACTIVATE!"

"Now that's the spirit. Oh right, Alice, I also bought you some new clothes. Don't worry, I really thought about it this time to the point people suspected I was a pedo."

"I think you should lay low for while bro."

As I watch the lively scene in front of me, I became a lot more certain with my decision.

Yeah... I made the right choice

1