Chapter 7: A Whole New World
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reincarnation or Rebirth. A word that has been used in countless religious books as well as thousands, maybe even millions of fictional works. 

To be honest, I have never actually believed in such a thing. The idea of it just seems too unbelievable. That is why even now, after living here for 5 years, I still couldn't believe it.

"What's wrong son?"

My mother looked at me and asked.

"Huh?"

The call of her voice woke me up from daze

"You've been blankly staring at your food for a while now. Are you not hungry?"

I looked at her then answered.

"It's not that mom... I was just thinking that reality really is stranger than fiction."

"Why's that?"

She tilted her head as she asked. 'Because, It seems like I just experienced reincarnation in real life', No, I can't say that. I smiled and thought of a different answer.

"Because I couldn't believe that such a delicious dish like this can actually exist in this world."

I heard my mom sighed then she looked at me with a smile.

"You sound just like your father. Sometimes I even have a hard time believing that you're actually only 5 years old."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

After that, I began eating.

After I was done, I went to the kitchen and asked my mom if I can help out with the dishes.

"Thanks, son but it's alright. You can't even properly reach the sink."

"I'll just use a chair."

"That's dangerous, what if you fall off?"

She said with a stern voice. It didn't look like she would change her mind about this so I gave up and returned to my room.

Jessica, that's the name of my mother. Well, my new mother. She's kind and gentle but sometimes I find her a bit overprotective. Must be because of her line of work. I've never personally seen her work, but she once told me that her job involves healing injured people. So I'm guessing that she's either a nurse or a doctor. It doesn't look like she makes that much money, but it's probably because we live in such a rural area.

Speaking of which, I don't even know which country this is. When I asked my dad, he said that were in the country of Adel. I don't think I've ever heard of that place before, but then again, it's not like I've memorized the name of every country on earth. Wish I could look it up on the internet to get a better idea of this place, but it doesn't look like this place has any ways to access the web.

Which reminds me, I don't think I've ever seen any cellphones, TV's or any other kind of technology here. I know it's a rural area, but this is too much. Maybe this country is just way behind in terms of technological advancements. No, wait.

I looked up the ceiling and found an oddly shaped lightbulb.

We do have some kind of technology here, we have lightbulbs that closely mimics the light from a fluorescent light. And my mom also uses a stove that doesn't require the use of any gas tanks. There's also that wooden box that functions like a refrigerator. I tried looking for its cord but I couldn't seem to find it. Now I'm becoming more curious about this place. I wish I could read up on this place somewhere to quench my curiosity.

We do have a couple of books here, but most of them are works of fiction, telling epic tales of adventurers traveling around the world fighting monsters using swords and magic. Not gonna lie, they're actually pretty entertaining.

The others are cookbooks. I think I once saw my mother reading a book about healing. At first, I thought it would be about medicines and stuff, but it was actually a book going in-depth about healing magic and all kinds of mumbo jumbo... 

...hold on.

I started sweating.

...My mom isn't involved in anything shady is she? I mean, she couldn't be, she's too kind and gentle...

...But I also heard that those kinds of people are the ones who were more easily decieved- No No No!

I shook my head in denial.

*Sigh*

Maybe I should just go and ask her. But even if I did, she's not going to go 'That's right, I'm involved in a cult.' she'll probably deny it and say it's nothing shady. Which means I have to be more subtle in my questionings.

So I went out and saw her in the living room drinking tea.

I then started thinking of questions that I could ask her. She looked at my direction once she heard the door open then smiled once she spotted me.

"Ah son, do you also want some tea? Come here and have a sit."

I looked at her and nodded. I was a bit nervous so I thought that maybe if I drank some tea I'll be able to calm down.

So I sat in front of her and took a sip of the tea. I was still nervous but it seems like the tea helped me calm down a bit.

"Son, why are you looking at me like that? Is there something on my face."

I was trying to find the right words to say until I finally opened my mouth.

"M-mom."

"Yes, son?"

"Y-your job doesn't involve any... chantings... does it?"

Please say no!

I was nervously waiting for her answer. It appears she was confused at the sudden out of the blue question, but she answered regardless.

"That's right, it's a bit hard to do my work without chanting."

NOOOO!!!

I felt the temperature of my body suddenly drop and I began sweating.

Wait! Maybe she meant something like a prayer. Maybe her job is so stressful that she first needed to say a prayer before she continues her work. That's right, that's right. Calm down me. Maybe I should ask her a different question.

So I looked at her again and asked another question.

"M-mom?"

"Yes, son?"

"D-does your job also involves... drawing... circles with d-different symbols on them?"

Please say NOOO!!!

"That's right, but only in rare cases when the person is heavily injured."

NOOOO!!!

I hung my head down.

It's game over man, game over!

Wait! Maybe there's still hope.

"Does dad know about this?"

Maybe my dad can pull her out of it once he finds out that his dear wife is actually involved in something really shady.

"That's right, what about it?."

I stared at her blankly.

"And he's okay with it?"

"Yes, he said he was even proud of me for what I was doing."

My mind went blank and just stared at her.

"Son?"

At that time, the door opened.

"Oh, welcome back dear."

"I'm ba- huh? What's wrong with him?"

The two looked at me with concern.

"I-it's nothing, just a bit dizzy that's all."

"That's not nothing, stay put."

My mother said looking worried.

"No, I'll just go back to my room and lay down for a bit."

As I quickly turned my self to the side, my leg bumped the table.

"Ah!"

Then I fell off the chair and bruised my chin and elbow.

"Son!"

The two quickly rushed towards me.

My mom placed her hands on my knees and started chanting.

My eyes widened as I saw the glow and my injuries closing up.

"W-what the..."

She then did the same with my other injuries. I looked at her feeling mesmerized by what was happening.

After my injuries were all healed, she breathed a sigh of relief. But once she saw me looking at her with a gaping mouth, she once again took on a worried look.

"Does it still hurt somewhere? Tell me where it hurts."

When I saw her worry, I quickly shook my head.

"No, it doesn't hurt anywhere... It's just..."

"Just?"

I looked at her with glowing eyes.

"What was that!?"

My parents were taken aback by my sudden enthusiastic attitude.

"What do you- ah!"

It looks like my Mom finally understood what I mean.

"I forgot, this was your first time seeing magic right?"

"Magic?"

"That's right, speaking of which... dear."

"Yes?"

"Red is almost 6 years old right, it's almost time for him to enter school."

"Oh right!"

My dad said in a cheerful tone.

"I've been teaching him how to read because of how persistent he was about it. I wasn't sure if he would get it at first, but he actually surprised me on how fast he was able to pick up on it. Especially at such a young age. I think our son might actually be a genius."

Wrong, It's because I'm an adult in a toddler's body. But it's not like I can actually say that to them, maybe one day though.

"I think so too! Oh right, earlier, he was talking about how reality seems to be stranger than fiction while pondering at the dinner table. I think he might even grow up as a philosopher!"

The two began cheerfully chatting and boasting about me. It's honestly getting a bit embarrassing. So I tried to cut in.

"Um..."

"Yes, son?"

The two simultaneously looked at me.

"What was that about school again?"

"Oh right, we were talking about that."

Dad said as if he just remembered. He then smiled and asked me a question.

"Son, are you interested in magic?"

"Very!"

I answered straight away.

His smile grew even wider at my answer.

"Well then, you're in luck. Because school will teach you all about it."

Excitement began building up inside me.

Magic!

At that moment, I realized. I wasn't on earth anymore. I was in a whole new world.

Once I realized this, I became even more excited. My curiosity started growing, wondering what other fantastical things this world has to offer.

***

That night, I was having a hard time falling asleep. I was too enchanted by the thought of magic. Not those pseudo magic that street performers usually do. But real magic!

I couldn't sleep so I thought of reading a couple of books to help calm me down. While I was browsing around, I found that book that goes in-depth talking about healing magic.

Magic!

I took it and quickly headed back to my room feeling giddy.

I lay down the book on my bed and read it.

My face soon took on a puzzled expression as I continued reading.

"...yeah... I don't get it..."

The book kept using words such as mana, casting, magic formula, and other words that are just too foreign to me.

"Maybe it's because I haven't learned the basics yet."

It was like reading a math book discussing algebra without even knowing how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Even so, I continued reading as just the thought of magic simply fascinates me.

If I were asked why I was so fascinated by magic, well, first of all, IT'S MAGIC! second of all, I'm usually a skeptic, especially towards the supernatural. That's why, when something truly extraordinary happens that disproves my pre-conceived notion on reality, The impact is even greater.

I continued reading even though I barely understand a thing about it.

And after some time has passed, I finally fell asleep.

***

In the morning, I asked my mother to teach me about the basics of magic. And she happily complied. And ever since that day, I've been enthusiastically learning about magic almost every day. The more I learned about it, the more I grew interested in the topic. It made me even more excited for the day when I would be able to actually perform it.

Unfortunately, I would have to wait 5 more years for that to happen. As mana, as well as aura, which I learned was like a form of body enhancing energy used primally by warriors, only begins to develop in the body at the age of 10.

Speaking of aura, My father Jonathan is actually an aura user. Although he's not really a fighter, he still uses aura on a daily basis whenever he works. He's a farmer, and since aura is a body enhancing energy, he is able to work more effectively and be less fatigue.

Sometimes I seem him passionately writing stories in his spare time. But he never really submits them for publication. I've read some of his work and they were actually pretty good. Reading his work became another form of entertainment for me that kept me from getting bored since I can't really go outside. Well, mom won't let me go outside saying it's too dangerous.

Anyways, I wonder why dad gave up on his dream of becoming a famous author. Maybe I'll try asking him about it in the future. As I don't think he'll be able to discuss it seriously with a 5-year-old toddler.

"Oh right, Son, Nancy is visiting tomorrow to babysit you. It seems like they're going need me at work. Nancy is actually more knowledgeable about magic than I am so you can ask her all kinds of questions about it."

"Big sister Nancy? No offense to her, mom, but I find that hard to believe."

"She may act a bit immature sometimes but she was actually the best in her class. A genius even."

I felt my jaw drop.

Nancy, she's a friend of my mother that sometimes takes care of me when both of them are at work.

The reason why I was so shocked to find out that she was actually a genius was because I sometimes find her a bit childish that I often wonder which one of us was doing the babysitting.

"Why, do you not like her?"

I shook my head at her question.

"No, it's not that... She's fun to hang out with. It's just, I didn't really expect that from her."

"Well, as you said, sometimes reality really is stranger than fiction."

My mother said with a wry smile.

She then headed back to the kitchen to do the dishes.

"Ah! Let me hel-"

My mom immediately turned her head and started staring daggers at me. It looks like the previous incident has made her even more overprotective.

Come on mom! It's just doing the dishes, how dangerous could it be!

I mean, I guess I did fell off the chair and bruised myself so I kinda understand where she's coming from, but come on.

Well, whatever. I'll just help out with something else that is considered "less dangerous".

So I picked up the broom and started cleaning the living room. After I was done, I went back to my room to read some books.

Oh right, Nancy is visiting tomorrow and she's apparently also a genius. Maybe I should prepare some questions to ask her beforehand.

With that thought in mind, I began writing all kinds of questions that popped up in my head. It was mostly about magic but there were also other questions related to other things. I don't know how many she would actually be able to answer, but I just continued writing regardless.

I felt my heart beating as I thought about learning more, not only about magic but also about this whole new world of fantasy. I began smiling as I was writing. This is just too exciting.

 

#############################

Here's an updated semi-realistic portrait of Jessica. Wasn't too big of a fan of the first one so I updated it to closely match the look I have of her in my head.

 

 

2