Chapter 9: Town Visit
42 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was laying on the bed feeling bored out of my mind. So much so, that even doing the chores became a form of entertainment for me.

I could try reading but I've already read all of the books here. Yes, even the cookbooks. I mean, I can try rereading the stories and even the book about healing magic, but I don't feel like it.

I looked out my window and saw the warm sun, the blue skies, the green grass, and the swaying trees.

*Sigh*

"I want to go outside."

Am I grounded?

But I don't think I've done anything that would get me grounded though. I've been a good boy I swear!

I can probably eat a pie, put in my thumb then pull out a plum. That's how much of a good boy I am.

"Red, it's time for breakfast."

At her call, I hopped off my bed and fixed it.

***

I sat down at the table and quietly ate my food.

After I was done, I continued to look outside the window while feeling a bit lethargic.

I feel like a princess trapped in a tower.

When my dad saw me looking like this, he spoke up.

"Hey son, I'm visiting town today, want to come?"

My prince!

"I'll let down my hair immediately."

"You'll what?"

"No, Red is not allowed to go outside, It's too dangerous."

Oh no, the witch!

"Come on Jessie, he's been coop up in this place for so long, he needs to get some fresh air."

"No means no."

Mom said as she hugged me like a teddy bear.

Save me! she's trying to monopolize my golden locks and cuteness to give her everlasting youth!

"Don't worry, I'll keep him safe. I did use to be a swordsman remember?"

My knight in shining armor!

Also, he used to be a writer AND a swordsman? What's next an astronaut?

"But still..."

"You don't trust me?"

Dad looked at mom with a troubled expression.

"Haa... That's not fair, you know that's not it. It's just-"

"I know I know, but Red needs to see the outside world, you can't keep him locked up in this place forever."

"I can."

Nope.

"Mom."

I have to say something or else I'll end up as a hermit. So I escaped her hold and looked at her with a serious expression.

"I'll stop the cuddles if you keep preventing me from going outside."

My mom took on a devastating face as if the world is crumbling before her.

"B-but-"

She reached out her hands and I stepped back.

"Hmph!"

Her face crumpled up some more as I ignored her.

I know how cruel this might be for her, I mean, just look at me, I'm adorable.

But I'm sorry mom, desperate times call for desperate measures. I have to use every weapon in my arsenal to stop me from becoming a shut-in. And in this case, by using my overwhelming cuteness against her.

I waited for her answer while feeling a little bad for what I did. After a while, she finally gave up and spoke in a defeated voice.

"F-fine... You can go with your father."

"Great!"

Mom quickly turned her head towards dad and spoke.

"But if I see a single scratch on his cute little body..."

She stopped her words and stared at dad with sharp eyes.

Huh? Did someone turn down the AC? Why did the atmosphere suddenly become so chilly?

"I'll keep it in mind."

Dad replied with a bitter smile.

"Good."

Mom said as she nodded her head. She then turned her head towards me with a gentle look.

"Don't go causing any trouble okay."

"I prom-... yeah."

I changed what I was about to say midway. With the amount of promises I broken in the past, the word 'I promise' has become taboo for me to say.

Of course, I wouldn't want to cause any trouble anyways, but even so, I won't say it.

***

I stepped out of the door frame and breathe in the fresh air.

I crouched down and felt the soft grass beneath my hands.

Slowly, I stood up and looked at the vast blue skies above.

I stood there looking a bit dazed for a moment until I stretched out my arms and screamed.

"Freedom!"

My dad was startled at my sudden outburst and looked at me with a wry smile.

"You look like a prisoner who just escaped from jail."

He approached me with a sword on his waist and horse at his side.

Seriously, is he a prince?

When the horse got closer, I looked up and exclaimed.

"Huge!"

Or maybe I'm just tiny.

It was my first time seeing a horse in real life. Do all horses look this majestic?

"Here."

My dad lifted me up and put me on the horse. He soon followed and also got on the horse. When my mom saw me got on the horse, she approached us and took on a worried expression.

"A-are you sure you'll be fine? What if you fall off the horse? Or get-"

"Mom I'll be fine!"

"B-but-"

"Dad! Floor it!"

"sorry Jessie. Hyah!"

"Wait!"

With that, we quickly rode off.

"To freedom!"

***

I looked around in excitement as we slowly rode through the village. A lot of people greeted us good morning as we passed by. Some were even surprised to see me.

"Is that your son Jonathan? this may be our first time seeing him."

"Haha... Well, you know how Jessie can be."

My dad said with a wry smile.

I continued to look around feeling fascinated. I've never left my home country before, so seeing a village like this in a fantasy world made me feel even more excited.

I wonder what the town will be like?

Soon, we arrived at a farm.

"Oh, Jonathan. You tradin with the townfolks today?"

An old man asked.

"That's right Sam, I also brought my son with me."

"Oohh, adorable little scamp aint he."

"Yep, and a crafty one too. Even you would feel bad for Jessie if you saw her expression after this little scamp said he would stop cuddling with her."

"Jessica? That Jessie? If he could bring her down like that with only a few words then I have no doubt in my mind that he would be able to bring down any monster in the future! Hahahaha!."

What the heck is this old man talking about?

"That's IF, she would even allow him outside the house. Hahahaha!"

"Woah woah dad, don't scare me like that, I just got out of the slammer and your saying I'll be locked up again? I thought I was a free man!"

The old man burst out of laughter when he heard me talk.

"Hahahahaha! Yer kid's got a funny way of speakin doesn't he."

"I honestly have no idea where he gets it from. Maybe from all the books he's been reading?"

"Wait, yer kid can read!? I'm about to reach my 60's and I can barely read the signs on the shops in town."

"Don't feel too bad Sam, it hadn't been that long since public schools were introduced."

Wait, public schools are a new thing here?

"Also, not to brag or anything. But my son happens to be a genius, even I wasn't able to learn as fast as he can even at the age of 10."

This prodigy talk again?

"Is that so? Well, that's fine. I'm just glad the youngins will be able to get the education we old folks never got hahaha!"

I like this old dude, he seems like a really nice guy.

"Jonathan, We finished loading up the wagon."

"Oh, thanks, Marco."

And with that, we continued our travel.

***

While I was basking in the scenery, I saw my dad gently smiling from the side. I mean, my dad always has a smile on his face, but this one seems different.

"Dad, why does it feel like you're as excited as I am in visiting town?"

"Oh, does it really look that way?"

"Yeah, are you that excited to get them cash money?"

"Hahaha, no that's not it. Do you remember when I said that I used to be a writer?"

"I do, and a swordsman, and possibly an astronaut."

"A what?"

"Nothing."

After a short pause, he continued what he was saying.

"Well, I used to be a traveling writer. That's also one of the reasons I learned how to use a sword. I needed to protect myself somehow while exploring the wilderness. While It was fun taking inspiration from the scenery, that wasn't the best part about being a traveling writer."

With a smile, he continued.

"The best part was listening to the stories of the people I met along the way."

"Stories of the people? Like epic tales from other adventurers."

He shook his head slowly. Then spoke with a gentle voice.

"No, the simple ones. Like the story of an old fisherman teaching a troublemaking kid how to fish and find peace, the story of a young boy in love, searching the whole town just to find a girl's missing hat, or the story of a woman who finally managed to open up her own shop. Even the mundane everyday stories of the people I talk to is interesting."

"That doesn't sound very exciting."

"Hahaha, well sometimes we need to slow down and take a break from all the excitement. Else we could get exhausted and break down. The dynamics between exciting moments and calm moments are what makes life so interesting after all."

I thought for a moment.

"Hmm... I guess I can understand that a bit. I mean, even I enjoy a little peace and quiet once in a while. But what I don't understand is how you're able to find the boring everyday stories of a stranger so interesting. Not the one with the fisherman or the young boy in love, those actually sound pretty interesting. But the mundane stuff. doesn't it get boring listening to them."

"You'll understand when you're older."

I'm 28! Well, whatever.

I've read his work before, although it wasn't filled with gut-busting action, it was interesting. Maybe even more interesting than the action pack ones. It was mostly about everyday people dealing with everyday problems. It might sound boring, but the story was filled with so much charm that you can't help but get invested in it. Which reminds me.

"Dad, if you're so passionate about writing, why didn't you submit your work for publication?"

He flinched.

"That's... that's a story for another time."

He said looking a bit troubled.

"Why? Did something really bad that happened in the past that caused you to stop?"

"No, nothing like that. It's just a bit embarrassing to say. I'm afraid that if I tell you the reason you might think I'm a petty person. Hahaha. It was for a petty reason after all."

He said with a self-deprecating smile.

Maybe I should stop probing him about it. Let me change the subject for a bit.

"So dad, if you aren't interested in those action pack stories from adventurers, why were there so many of them at home."

"I never said I didn't find them interesting, it's just that I prefer the simpler stories. But about those books, they were actually for your mother. She loves reading those kinds of things."

"Mom does? I didn't expect that from here."

"Well, she did change a lot after all."

"How so?"

"Hmm... I'll tell you about it in the future. Oh and were almost there."

I looked at where he was pointing. My eyes widened when we got closer. the walls were huge and magnificent. It was way different than when I was looking at it from the distance.

We soon passed through the gates and I was greeted by the busy and cheerful atmosphere of the town. There were children playing around, people haggling with the shop owners, and folks just passing by. But the ones that stood out to me the most were the ones carrying swords, staffs, and all kinds of weapons.

"Adventurers!"

I said cheerfully.

There were also lamps placed at the side being powered by what I assumed to be mana stones, like the lightbulbs at home.

As I looked around some more, I was able to spot creatures I have never seen before, pulling a carriage. Seeing them walking around really made it hit home that I really am in a medieval fantasy.

"Woah..."

It was like being in a movie.

"Glad to see you finally acting your age, son. Sometimes I even worry if you'll be able to get along with the other kids your age considering how you act most of the time."

"Don't worry dad, I'm good with kids."

"You're a kid too you know. Also, you've never even interacted with other children before."

Well, I did in my past life.

As I thought that, the face of the two suddenly flashed in my head.

Dad was giving me a strange look after not saying something for a while. I soon shook away that thought.

the past is in the past. And I'm living in the present. With that thought, I quickly came up with something to say.

"What do you mean, dad? There's one that I always get to babysit whenever you two are gone. Seriously, doesn't she get tired from playing all those board games?"

He sighed then gave a wry smile.

"I'm just glad that she finally managed to find someone she can play those games with."

"What do you mean dad?"

"Well, Nancy didn't have a lot of friends growing up. As for me and your mom, well... We tried playing those games with her but we kept on losing hahaha. Also, Her parents were pretty strict back then too, to the point where she..."

He paused.

"She what?"

With a troubled smile, he continued.

"...Let's just say that being a genius also comes with its sets of problems... Don't worry son, we'll be different from them, I swear."

"You're not gonna tell me what happened to her?"

He thought for a moment.

"Hmm... I think it would be better if you heard it from Nancy herself. Who knows, maybe you might even be able to find some ways to help her. You know, as a fellow genius."

"...okay."

I nodded.

After a while, we finally arrive at our destination.

***

After dad was finished trading, he would sometimes talk to the townfolks and listened to their stories. Apparently dad does this every time he visits the town and the people here just got used to it. They were even glad to have him listen, I guess they find it comforting knowing that the person listening is actually interested in what was going on in their lives.

He was like a person you can tell all your problems about and gives you advice whenever needed, Almost like a shoulder you can lean on.

Of course, not all of their stories were about their problems. But overall, they're just stories of everyday people. I guess even in a fantasy world, a person's mundane story is still mundane as it was in my world. But for some reason, my dad doesn't find it that way, he almost looked entrenched in their stories.

"Yeah, I don't get it."

Maybe he's just weird. No, he's definitely weird.

I was more interested in listening to the adventurers talking about there expeditions. I sometimes overhear them discussing their plans and about the monsters they'll encounter.

Yep, this is more exciting.

As I was watching the adventurers talking from afar, my ears picked up on the sound of a little girl crying.

"*Sniffle* *sniff*"

"Don't worry, we'll get through this."

The woman said to the crying child.

"*Sniffle* B-but... the pendant-"

"It's okay, it wasn't your fault."

My dad also turned his head to looked at the two and took on a sad expression.

"Did something happen?"

My dad asked the person he was talking to before.

"I heard Claire's store got robbed last night."

My ears perked up at their conversation.

"That's horrible. How?"

"Apparently her daughter forgot to lock the door and a thief managed to slip in."

"Did anyone got hurt?"

"No, but the thief did took a lot of money from them. I'm not too sure about the details, but I heard the thief also took something precious from them. I think it was the last gift her husband gave them before he... passed away."

As they continued talking, an unpleasant memory started surfacing from my past.

[P-please! This is all we got!]

Damn!

I clutched my head.

When dad saw me like this, he took on a worried expression.

"Are you alright son? Are you dizzy? Does your head hurt?"

"Yeah yeah I'm fine!"

"Are you sure?"

"Positive!"

I answered with an energetic voice.

"... alright, but tell me whenever you're not feeling well, we'll head home immediately."

"I'm okay, trust me."

"...okay. but just in case, have this."

My dad handed me a bottle with a strange red liquid inside.

"It's a healing potion. Although it's mostly used for external injuries, I heard it could also relieve headaches. Just drink it whenever you're not feeling well okay."

"...sure."

I took the bottle then looked back at the crying child and her mother. My heart started becoming heavier as I continued to look at the two.

And here I thought I could just forget about the past and continue to live a happy go lucky life.

*sigh*

Guess it wouldn't be that easy.

[Those guys seemed pretty rich anyways. They deserve to get rob once in a while. It's not like it's gonna affect them much. Hell, I'm sure they'll make that money back in a day!]

Was I really that much of an ignorant asshole in the past?

I wonder how many lives I screwed up in the past because of that thought? How many committed suicide because they couldn't recover financially, because they got crippled by me or because they got traumatized by the shit I pulled, by the things I've done.

I wonder how many items I've stolen, items filled with sentimental value, items that were very precious to the people I stole it from.

I can feel the guilt slowly building up inside me as I watched the crying child and her mother, who was trying her best to show that she was fine, that she wasn't affected by what happened.

As the mother held on to her child with a pained expression, my heart finally sank.

Strangely, I was feeling guilty from a crime I didn't even commit. But this guilt probably stems from the people I've wronged in the past. That feeling of guilt never left me, I was just trying my hardest to ignore it. But seeing the mother and child suffering from the same crime I use to commit in the past, it was becoming difficult to ignore my past, my guilt.

With those thoughts swirling around my mind, I began to question.

Do I even deserve a second chance?

2