Chapter 32: Death, Despair, Deadlocked
707 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the confusion and tiredness eats my body, someone tap me on my shoulders and called my name. I was talking to Sayori when I turned around. It was Yuri, tired from running.

She seems like she's out of breath.

"Hey, you alright? Take its easy, and breath for a while."

Yuri starts to gain back her composure back as she takes a moment of breathing.

"Why are you running?"

Yuri: "Well, a classmate of yours talked to me when I was on my way here, and said they were finding you."

"Hmmm? Why is that?"

Yuri: "Here, they said to give you this list."

I grab the list from Yuri. I checked it and the contents written are....

"Gym equipments?"

Yuri: "Yeah. Apparantly your homeroom teacher, Mr. Sakurai, requested his students to clean the gym equipments."

"I see. I guess it is because before classes went out, we are the last ones to use the equipments, but some of it got dirty."

Not to mention they leaved it like that.

"Well, thank you for telling me, Yuri. Are you heading home now?"

Yuri: "Yes, it is getting late and all."

I looked at Sayori.

"Sayori, you should go home too."

Sayori: "You don't want me to wait for you?"

"I will come to hate myself if I let you stay here. Besides, I swore to your parents, remember?"

Sayori blushes. She gave me this big, warm hug.

Sayori: "Thank you, Haru. For taking care of me."

She pats my head for comfort.

"Well then, now that's settled. Yuri? Can you accompany Sayori outside?"

But just right after that, Yuri left. She was gone before we know it.

Sayori: "Hehehe~ Don't worry Haru. I'll be fine, and importantly, go clean those equipments now."

"Alright, alright. I will now."

Sayori: "You are making worried you know? Just text me if you are done, okay?"

"Okay Sayori. I will as well. And also, I'll go to your house later. Is it fine?"

Sayori: "I'll tell my parents. Then, see you later Haru. Don't stay for too long."

Sayori gave me a kiss on the forhead.

"I feel so spoiled right now."

Sayori: "Glad you like it."

Sayori runs down the corridor and waves at me. I wave back at her.

"Geez, now I worry about her as well."

Before leaving, I locked the literature club room. See you tomorrow.

......

......

......

I went to the school gym. I saw the lights were still on.

"Probably, there are people here?"

I went inside and take a look. No one is here.

"Let's see..."

I checked my list and found my name. Three items are enlisted for me.

- Basketballs
- Javelins
- Equipment Box

What's up with this list? This is going to take me forever.

"Well, let's get to work then."

I went inside the gym's storage room.

"Huh. I guess this is payback for having the time of my life. But fuck, it is so damn hard to see."

I opened up my phone and turn on its flashlight. I forgot. The storage room's lightbulb is busted.

"Geez, they should have make us clean everything tomorrow."

While wandering in the dark, I found the equipment box.

"Woah, this is huge."

I start to unlock it. After that, I check what's inside. Well, there is nothing.

"Still, this equipment box is shiny. It's like... it's not even dirty or whatever..."

Wait. What is this feeling?

Suddenly, the door closes.

"What? Hey! I'm still here! Hey! Hey!

And just right after I turned away from the box, it was too late.

"Huh?!"

<SMACK>
<BAM>
<COLLAPSE>

My head was smacked by a hard object and made me collapse to the ground. I was loosing consciousness. Before that, I saw a figure... a shadow of a person. Then, I got knocked out...

"......."

<DRAG>
<CLICK>
<CLICK>
<DRAG>
<BAM>
<RUSTLE>
<CLICK>
<CLICK>
<DRAG>

....Locked in the equipment box....

???: "......."

_________________________________________

???: "........"

???: "Haha..."

???: "Hahaha..."

???: "HAHAHAHA!...."

_________________________________________

I started to awaken.

"Ugh... my head... where... am I?"

I start to stand up. But I can't. I tried to stand up, but still cannot. I feel myself tied up in a chair. My legs and arms are tied up in this chair. My right eye is covered. It feels so numb. It hurts for some reason.
The room is very dark. I can't see any light. I tried to scream. My mouth is covered with a cloth.

"Arrrrrgggg! Grrrrr! Rrrrrrraaa!"

I struggle more and more. I tried to break free. But the more I tried, I feel like I will die.

"Graaahhhh! Raaaah! Hrrrrr! Hhhhngghh! Gahhh! Arghhhhh! Haaaaa!

Let me out. Let me out. Why did this happen? What is happening right now?

I feel the sense of death and despair.

Am I really going to die here right now without knowing how did this happen? What if I died here, without knowing? How will I avoid this in the next reset? How will I prepare for it?

Suddenly, I hear a door open and close. Someone just entered. I can't see in this dark room.

Who's there?! I can't see?!

Having half your field of vision covered, you cannot see that clearly. I hear someone walking towards me. The person loosens the cloth in my mouth.

"Hey! Who are you?"

A hand touched my cheek. It was very cold.

And it smells like iron. No.... wait.... It smells.... like blood?!

"Get away from me! Graahhhhhh!"

While screaming, this person shoved something in my mouth. It was soft, slippery and round. It.... feels like....

"AHHHHH!"

Then, I almost faint after that.

"Haaaahhhh.... haaahhhh..... HAAAAAAAAA!"

Realizing what it was, I spit it out. The pain in my right eye.... it was it?!

IT WAS MY RIGHT EYE! THIS PERSON CARVED OUT MY RIGHT EYE AND FED IT TO ME!

The hand then removes the cover in my right eye. And poke it insides.

"GRYHHHHHHHH! ARRHHHHHHHHHH!"

I can't help but scream! It's so painful! I am getting tortured!

It was repeated again and again. The pain is so unbearable. I feel like my life is getting drain. Then it stops.

???: "Hahaha...."

"Haaa.... h-huhh?"

???: "Hahahahaha...."

W-who.... is this... person...

???: "AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!"

???: "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAH!

???: "AHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA!"

Then, a sharp pain pierces through my heart.

Again and again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

Until, I feel.... none.

My senses are numb. My hearing and sight is starting to having a static noises around me. Around this dark room. I feel like I almost spit out every blood on my body while I that...

<STAB>

The person in front of me stab themselves as well.

Again and again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

.....

They collapse on the floor. And I was here, tied up. I have done nothing. I am just here.

.....

My life.

......

Like a candle.

......

Has burn out.

.......

I died.

_________________________________________

???: "Return to the past. Don't go to the library. Haruno."

_________________________________________

GAHHHHHHH!

I woke back.

???: "Hey, are you alright?"

I saw a girl in front of me. She's dazzling like an angel.

"Who are you? Have I died? Why is there an angel in front of me?"

???: "Silly, it's just me, Haruno."

"Ohhh, Sayori?"

I notice I was sleeping in her lap.

"Where are we? What day is it today? What time is it?"

Sayori: "Geez, you asked me so many questions."

......

Sayori: "Today is the festival, we are at the school garden and it's mostly time to go back to the club."

"Sorry, I must have been lost at my own thoughts right now."

She starts to poke my cheeks. Seriously, I am lost right now. I won't have a dream like that while sleeping with Sayori.

And it wasn't a dream. The pain... is still here. The feeling... is still here. I have died last time... without knowing, who killed me?

Sayori: "Figured. I guess you were sleeping and having a dream. But, you look like in pain earlier? Did you have a bad dream?"

"I don't know. I don't know the details either."

Sayori: "Well, a walk should help you out right now. Let's go?"

"Oh yeah, your thighs are feeling numb right now. Thanks for lending it to me."

Sayori: "N-no problem."

We both head back to the literature club. I suddenly remembered.

"Don't go there? Huh?"

I met up with Yuri and left Sayori in the clubroom. But now, I jist saw Monika.

Monika looks at me, feeling restrained of her actions. Last time, I didn't saw her but maybe, I guess she stayed like that as well. I never mentioned it though.

......

......

......

Yuri: "So, uhmmm, I was planning to head on the library... want to come as well?"

"Are we reading books?"

She suddenly grins.

Yuri: "YES. There's a lot of BOOKS there. Hahaha..."

I am getting this weird feeling. Did Yuri... get like this last time as well? Then, no way I am going to the library. That voice must be guiding me. Sorry and thanks for the help.

My brain starts working with and idea. I offered her a suggestion.

"Hey Yuri, you would read any kind of book, right?"

Yuri: "Uhmm, yes? Why do you ask?"

"Even the place is just random, but quiet?"

Yuri: "I guess?"

"Then, I have just the place! Come with me."

Then, she followed me. Great!

I search us a room where nobody will come. No one will hear us. I am confronting her, right now. I might have a clue while she is acting like this. That book I saw.... last time... in the library. That unusual book.

I found us a classroom and entered. I locked the doors. She won't be getting out. There's no weapons here. And I can take her down if she acts violently. Sorry to say if this is what will happen.

Because, she might be the one who.... well, only one way to find out. It's now or never. I will settle this right now. And avoid dying again.

"Hey Yuri. We never got to read it again..."

Yuri: "What?"

"Oh you know, that book you gave me."

Yuri: "What book?"

"Well, you know. That book? What was it called again?"

Yuri: "Ohhh, that BOOK?"

"Yeah. That book. Hahaha."

She grabs it on her schoolbag. I knew it. She still has it. Monika said last time, that this two books, is the key for her insanity. If I destroy it, I can save her.

By the end of the day, if I ever succeed, I plan to treat Yuri's wounds and destroy that book. I only need a moment. A chance.

"Let's sit down and read it together."

Reading it together is a gamble. She might turn insane while reading. I must be careful. But, you know, since when did I think like this? I am so unbelievable at some times.

.....

"Wanna seat here?"

I motion at the floor. She refuses as she shakes her head. I point at the tables. She nods then I took a sit. She then follows me.

.....

"Can we start over at the story? I want to re-read it with you."

Yuri: "Sure, I'll try not to be fast."

We start reading. I decided not to read, but to scan it. I check for hints. Clearly, last time I have said the Yuri and this girl in the story do have similarities. Maybe I can find what causes her addiction... or... how does she... anyway...

.....

Here's my plan. I'll try to take it from her either without her knowing or noticing , or just take it because I have a reason that I lost the my own book.

......

We read some more. Yuri doesn't move though. She is still reading. From what I see, Yuri is still herself. I'll ask her some things, just to distratct her a bit.

"Hey Yuri, how's hanging out with me?"

Yuri: "Well, it is fine. I feel so relaxed, with the quietness and all."

"I see. Well, what do you think about the our work at the festival?"

Yuri: "I'd say you did great. Everyone did."

"Including you, alright?"

Yuri: "T-thanks. To say, I am very embarassed that time. There are so many eyes looking at me."

"Well, maybe because they find your face attractive and mature?"

Yuri: "Actually no. Maybe I didn't tell you this but, people are always asking about my face, but I can't relate. And one day, I broke a mirror while looking at it. And somehow... it suited me. Broken, shattered faces. Haha..."

"What?"

Yuri: "Nothing, are you done already by the way?"

"Yeah, I can read it that fast."

Yuri: "True, plus the page is only 200 words per minute, so I recommend reading at that speed."

Yeah, except I never know. But somehow, Yuri seems like... okay right now? Wait, should I be happy?

Yuri: "Can we read... for more... in silent? Then after this, I want to go somewhere..."

"Sure thing! I'll hold it for you as well."

She smiles at me sweetly. I don't know why, I still have this bad feeling.

.....

And here I am, reading with her. I found a hint as well. The girl in the story has forsaken the world. Full of mistrust to other people, she doubt them. Though, there are no monsters. She developed this insight that people are monsters. The people who tried experementing on her. She became a murderer. She like how sharp a knife was. Killing people who tried to approach her, she got absorbed and was eaten by the darkness. Her darkness. She got obssessed. Until she can't stop anymore. But then, she can't feel anymore. She tried cutting herself to feel pain, but she felt ecstasy instead. A sense of euphoria. Injuring herself is the most pleasuring thing, besides killing.

......

I gulp. Scanning the story, it gave me a chill. What if Yuri.... is the one who killed me that time? I mean, what if she planned everything right? The thing about the cleaning. I am so confused that I got so dumb. I am so focused about dating them, I forgot things like these can happen. I can't have happiness for a long time. If I do have a long time for happiness, it will be tripled despair. But, I think I understand Yuri's stories. On how the world is very unfair. Unfair to me.

Yuri: "Haru, let's end it here. It's almost time for the school to close."

I noticed, I was deep in thought that an hour and a half has passed. I was shocked.

"Ohh! We read that book for long huh?"

Yuri: "Yeah, and I had fun today. Thanks for inviting me here. And reading together."

"Anyway, how did you get this book again? Is there any copy?"

Yuri kept silent. She starts blushing and breathing heavily.

Yuri: "Haru, I can't keep this to myself anymore."

"What? Uhh, Yuri? You are turning red?"

She hugged me.

"W-whaaa...."

Yuri: "Since you came to the club, I want you."

.....

Yuri: "Sayori always tell us about you... and I got so interested with you."

.....

Yuri: "You have the looks, the talent, and even the personality. You talked to me for the first time without hesitation. Something I can't do to you."

I stayed silent. But I am pretty sure she was the one who approached me for the first time, right?

Yuri: "I love the way you do things. You... are so cool.... and I.... love it...."

.....

Yuri: "HAHAHAHA!"

.....

Yuri: "I.... LOVE.... YOU!"

.....

Yuri: "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! HARUNO!"

I became more confused and lost at words.

Yuri: "I love you so much. WOULD YOU ACCEPT MY CONFESSION?!"

Yuri: "You can only Say Yes or No. NOW! What would be your answer?"

She put the book in front of me, on the table. Fuck, she was insane... confessing at this moment. What should I say? If I said yes, would she listen to me then? I can't messed this up now.

"Yuri. Yes. Yes. I do."

Yuri: "HARUNO. YOU MADE ME SO HAPPY. COME HERE. AND I'LL GIVE YOU A HUG."

But instead, she went up to me and hugged me. And started laughing. And I fucked up here.... so much.

*STAB*

*STAB*

*STAB*

*STAB*

"Y-Yuri....?"

She whispered into my ear.

Yuri: "Yes... I love you too. I LOVE YOU TOO TILL DEATH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHH! GRAHHHHH! LET GO!"

She stabbed my back so many times. She stabbed me.... one, two, three....

Four, five, six... seven, eight, nine, ten.

She stabbed me very hard.

Yuri: "I'm going TO FUCKED YOU UP.... SO MUCH DEEP!"

Dying on her embrace.... she lets me go...
I fall down to the floor. Blood was bursting outside me. Then, in a glimpse...

"N-nooo....."

Yuri starts stabbing her stomach. Again and again. She fell down to the floor as well.

Yuri: "N-now... we... could be.... together.... in hell.... HARUNO! HAHAHAHAHA!...."

She lost it. And eventually, faints. Fuck. Dying is the worst. Dying without feeling anything. Since when I became so numb from the pain?

.....

The classroom turned into a bloody stream. Why am I not dead yet? I can't breath anymore. Still conscious... I watch Yuri's body dying. Her eyes are cold, her skin turning white, and the blood on her face has dried up.

......

You want me to see her die, huh? Cruel.
Just like how my life that time. I died, with that murderer watching. And I must be... the murderer. I made a mistake. And killed her. Now I suffer the consequences...

.....

My life inside has faded. I saw myself died, in the reflection of my own blood. My sight turned black.

_________________________________________

My sight is appearing again, seeing Yuri in front of me.

Yuri: "You can only Say Yes or No. NOW! What would be your answer?"

Wha... what.... did I return to this point? Should I try again? I can't say yes. But what if I said no? Can I try persuading her? I am running out of ideas and my thoughts are messy. I can't think very clearly, and my body is in surges of pain. I felt weak.

"Uhmmm, Yuri? I am very grateful and all, but I have to say no."

Yuri: "Why is that?"

"I want to help you, Yuri. Please? I know what happened to you. And I want to help you, very much. I am not rejecting you, because I don't want you. I love you so please, let's stop this and... let's go somewhere out here. I'll treat your wounds. I don't want to see you like this."

I am starting to fell into despair. If I messed up again.... she and I... will....

Yuri: "I see. You want to help me? I figured that you would say that. That's why..."

"Yuri, wait... AH!"

*STAB*

*STAB*

*STAB*

*STAB*

She stabbed my heart with a knife. I fall down into the floor.

......

What the fuck! Damn it! Goddamnit!

Yuri: "If I can't have you.... nobody will... even me...."

She stabbed herself, again. I saw it, again.... why? I am starting to die inside as well.

Yuri falls down, into the floor, with her chest pierced. She was dying. She look at me with those eyes. I can feel oblivion.

Yuri: "We..... can be..... together....."

.....

.....

.....

.....

.....

Yuri: "F.... f.....f..... FOREVER....."

With that, my consciousness fades....
I died.

_________________________________________

My sight is appearing again, seeing Yuri in front of me.

Yuri: "You can only Say Yes or No. NOW! What would be your answer?"

!!

WHAT!? WHAT?! WHAT?! DAMN IT!

......

I don't know what to do? This is my save point now!? Why?

.....

I am starting to be overcome by despair. Remembering what happen, both of the choices killed me. Killed us! Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!

.....

Yuri: "I'll count to ten, Haruno."

!!!!

No, wait! I don't know what to do! I am stuck! This! A deadlocked! What should I do? Should I run away? But what is she goes killing?

Yuri: "Ten....."

The door! I forgot I locked it! She'll kill me before that!

Yuri: "Nine..."

I can't shout for help. No one goes here. Tskkk!

Yuri: "Eight..."

Should I fight her? I don't think I can.... she's pretty skilled.... fuck!

Yuri: "Seven...."

All my planned backfired at me....

Yuri: "Six...."

I don't know what to do.... I... am frozen...standing here... panicking.

Yuri: "Five....."

Hearing the countdown.... I feel the fear eating my body.... I am stuck at a deadlocked. No matter what I do, will cause us death.

Yuri: "Four...."

I don't want to die... I don't want to die....

Yuri: "Three..."

Please, someone help me! Please... help!

Yuri: "Two...."

I DON'T WANT TO DIE!

Yuri: "One...."

.....

.....

And a split second.... a voice shouted in my head.

???: "THE BOOK, HARUNO! THE BOOK!"

.....

.....

.....

HUHH!?

.....

Yuri: "Times Up! NOW.... IF YOU CAN'T CHOOSE.... THEY YOU HAVE CHOSEN.... DEATH!"

Yuri takes out her knife. She charge to me. Out of extinct and fear, I grabbed the Book of Makrov, and eventually, throwing it at her knife. But, my aim was so IMPECCABLE.... (sarcasm voice).... I didn't hit the knife. I hit Yuri's face instead.

"Oops..."

She fainted, with blooded nose."

Heehhhhhh?

"What? The? Hell? Just? Happened?"

I look at myself, trembling in fear. I sit down to the floor due to exhaustion.

"Is this..."

I get up. I grabbed the knife and put it in my bag. I also grabbed that book and covered it, also putting it in my bag.

"How did I do this with a shitty....."

Well, it worked. That voiced though... it shouted at me. Did it just helped me?

"Anyway, I didn't... do anything. I feel so useless... relying...."

With that out of the line, I started to inspect Yuri's body. Just as I thought after I rolled up her sleeves. So many deep wounds.

I get my bag and started treating her. With my first aid kit, which last time I putted here. I take out a disinfectant and cotton balls and treated each wound. Then, I put some medicine that would help to relieve the pain.

.....

After letting it for minutes, I grabbed bandages, and wrapped it all over her wounded parts. I sealed it, concealing everything.

.....

"There... good as new..."

I started to cry a bit.

"God, how did this shitty outcome turned into salvation?"

.....

Yuri starts to wake up. She notices what happened to her wounds. She starts to speak.

Yuri: "H-Haruno? Is that you? What happened? How did we got here?"

"Huh? You don't remember?"

Yuri: "Remember what?"

!!!!

Yuri: "So, you have found it... my secret...."

"Yeah... I know it for a long time..."

I start tearing up.

"And... I can't.... I can't do anything useful... I let those things happen, due to my carelessness. I'm so stupid."

Yuri: "Haruno...."

"I know, you're having depression as well, and yet.... I don't even know how to save you properly..."

I let you die so many times.

"I can't even do things on my own."

That voiced had help me earlier. If it didn't... we may have died again... and again.

Yuri: "Haruno...."

"I tried saving you, all over but I failed... again and again..."

I had to see you die, again and again.

"Sorry for being late."

I smiled at her, with my tears overflowing...
I don't know if it is joy or sadness...
I don't really know...
But...

"You are safe now."

I hugged Yuri. She hugs me back.

Yuri: "Haruno.... I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry!"

We both starts sobbing... hand in hand.

Yuri: "If I only let you... help me... then... you wouldn't feel like this.... it's because of me... that you...."

"......"

"Yuri.... it's alright now. You're safe...."

We stayed like that for a while, embracing each other. Crying and sobbing.....

9