Chapter 16
242 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside the disheveled Cecelia slowly looked around herself taking in the entire scene of... well dirt. She hated dirt, dust, and everything unclean. She despised it and if her hair hadn't already been sticking up it would have shot straight out from her head like an angry cat. In fact, once her beautiful gaze slipped down to look at her hands she yanked them away from the dirty counter and actually hissed, just like before with the anti-wrinkle cream. Maybe she really was part cat?

Muttering to herself she stood and began to pat and swipe at her uniform in a poor attempt of dusting herself off before straightening with a resolute sigh and squaring her shoulders.

"This must be cleaned up immediately."

Paying no attention to the sounds of the exam in the room behind her she stepped out from behind the receptionist counter and began to take stock of the clean up that would soon start. Significant amounts of stone, mortar, wood, and plaster were scattered across the well worn, but polished, thick floorboards of the guild hall. A dissatisfied frown gradually formed on her delicate features as she noted some of the larger stones of the wall had even been imbedded in the front wall of the waiting area. Thankfully it was rather solid, not so much as the exam room walls, but still composed of hefty and well-crafted materials. Instead of white like the exam room though the main walls of the guild were either a gray or tan depending on what area of the building you were in.

Looking about she finally smiled seeing that all of the pictures, trophies, or plaques that covered the wall and all of the thick wooden furniture that adorned room had miraculously been spared any damage. This bit of good luck hadn't been by design, which made her smile all the more genuine and happy as she considered possible ramifications had anything been damaged. He didn't know why but in the middle of the exam he suddenly felt a shiver run down his spine. As to not ruin her happier mood she avoided looking behind the abdomen high receptionist counter and instead began to give curt instructions to those who came over with various items to clean up the mess. While they started she made her rounds to those that had been directly affected by the incident and checked to ensure there weren't any injuries. From the cafeteria she heard a gruff voice call out to all those who were within the guild hall.

"Next round is on the house! Owen's paying so be sure to thank him!"

Despite the chorus of cheers in reply most had a small grin on their faces as they knew how Owen was going to react when he got the bill. However, as the Guild Master it was his duty to ensure everyone's safety so the least he could do was make them feel a bit better with a drink.

Cecelia looked over to the massive Raginer behind the bar and offered a silent thanks in the form of a small smile and nod of her head. Stowen nodded in return before smacking a young man across the back of his head with a towel that had been draped over his broad shoulder. The young man yelped and stopped trying to find a bottle of booze on the shelf below before he hopped down off the bar and vigorously rubbed the back of his head.

"You are too young! Milk for you! Everyone stay out from behind the bar!" Stowen bellowed while casually waving his towel in a small circle in front of him. Everyone calmed down immediately and waited patiently for their order to be taken.

As the staff brought things under control and worked to get the guild back into order the exam was nearing its conclusion. Despite his surprise Owen was able to quickly ascertain that it would be a bad idea to try and block the disc like mass of Nel' Ina that was hurling toward him. He managed to bend backward while twisting his upper body clockwise to move below and then out of the way just in time, the attack sailing over him. As it exploded against the wall a few dozen feet behind him, leaving nothing more than a small crater and scorch marks Owen straightened and considered his next move.

It was at this time, while Ethan was charging toward him, that he noticed a change in how the boy was carrying himself and his shields. He was shaking, at least his arms and legs were, and his once focused expression now seemed like it was trying to hide a grimace. It would seem that despite his potential, unique fighting style, and abundance of Nel' Ina his body was still just that of a 13 year old boy's. Upon noting the drop in strength and stamina Owen changed his response to the charge.

Seeing the shield begin to glow brighter he figured Ethan planned on releasing an Impac with his shield rush. Whether he meant to send the Impac through the air like the last one Owen wasn't sure, but either way his attack would ensure it didn't matter. Launching forward he raced toward Ethan, a move that clearly surprised the boy as his eyes widened slightly upon registering the movement. Owen stepped to the side after closing the distance and similar to the first time twisted his blade so that its broad flat side slammed into Ethan's shield.

Like Ethan, Owen also prepared an Impac for the collision, however, unlike Ethan, Owen relaxed his arms and allowed the ensuing explosion to send his sword swinging harmlessly back and behind him. Ethan, who had his entire weight and posture behind his shield, was forced to absorb it as much as possible which he was only able to do to a certain point. One could argue he managed to handle about three quarters of the forces released behind his legs gave out and he was sent rolling backwards and away, finally coming to a stop in a gasping heap by the wall he had broken earlier.

From where Owen stood he figured the boy was only gasping from exertion and not pain or injury, a fact that was backed up by the boy himself as he raised a hand and extended his fingers in a casual wave. As if it wasn't already clear, or perhaps because the boy was just too formal, he called out between his deep breaths.

"You win..."

Owen was forced to pause before blinking twice, his mind trying to register such an obvious statement. Did the boy really feel the need to clarify the obvious or did he not realize Owen would notice such a basic fact? Despite himself he chuckled, though he quickly covered it with a cough.

"Yes, so it would seem." He replied with a straight face.

9