Chapter 22
205 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the inside of the adventurer's guild was well lit, due to its many windows and bright lanterns, Ethan still had to lift a hand to shield his eyes from the sun's rays upon stepping outside. While letting his eyes adjust to the change in lighting Ethan took the time to take several deep breaths in an attempt to calm himself and bring the last series of events in his day to a close. With a small smile he moved off to the side and took a seat on the top step of the entrance before turning the map over in his hands and trying to get his bearings. He couldn't help but let a little noise that was a mix of a giggle and chuckle, given his age and all, when he saw the smiley face that Lorelle added next to the big X for the "You Are Here" mark on the map.

While not every building on the map was labeled it still was representative of the area blocks of buildings in that it had a general shape for each one. Looking up and across the square from where he sat he noted there were four buildings placed next to one another looking back at him. Looking back down at the map he noted there were four blocks, also placed next to one another, across from the "You Are Here" X and smiley face. Becoming curious he tried to follow the map up from his location to see if Bimsley's forge was shown but it looked like the map ended before then. With a small frown he finally shrugged before looking back toward the center of the map where he was currently located and then traced his finger along the road to his left and then behind the guild until he hit a block labeled The Lazy Badger.

"Oh thank the Keepers it is right around the corner."

He really was horrible with directions, at least in places he was unfamiliar, and really did get lost easy without knowing landmarks or using his own vocabulary to get around. Hopefully one day it would get easier for him, which sadly for him, it wouldn't and while he would become famous later in life his ability to get lost was also legendary. He traced the route, which consisted of two left hand turns, twice more to be sure before standing and making his way down the stairs. As he did so he thought he heard the front door open and close behind him, however, when he turned to see who was there, since no one had just passed him to enter, he saw no one. Was he hearing things? Suddenly fearing she had followed him out he quickly spun 360 degrees in place to make sure she wasn't sneaking up on him. Nothing... He stood there silently before suddenly spinning again, as he had a sense someone was watching him. Still nothing... Realizing he probably looked rather ridiculous spinning in place he hurried down the stairs and toward the road he would make his first left upon. As he did so a figure leaned out from behind one of the pillars holding up the large roof covering the guild entrance, their body not only concealed by the shadow cast but also seemingly a part of it, though in less than a second it was gone.

Since he had completed the main objective for the day Ethan was much more relaxed walking down the road and as such took some extra time to look about. He noticed that nearly all of the buildings were at least two stories, with some of the larger ones being three. Many had a plaque or sign on the door or hanging out above it revealing the type of shop it was. All but one of the second stories were almost certainly living residences by nature of the curtains or small window gardens, and the one that had none of these instead had bars covering the windows, which instead of glass, were made of wooden shutters reinforced with metal.

"Wonder what they keep in there?" Ethan thought to himself as he passed.

Looking up at the black metal sign hovering above what looked to be a thick metal door he noted a carving consisting of three stacks of coins of varying height and a few gemstones.

"Perhaps a bank?" More silent thoughts and though he was curious he wasn't curious enough to go find out.

While he had been taught the basic idea of a bank, specifically for adventurers, of course he had never been in one. He would have to ask someone at the guild when he went back the next day. In addition to the store and home combinations Ethan also noticed that there seemed to be an even mixture of wood, clay, and either stone or brick in the makeup of the buildings. For some reason, though he didn't know why he held such prejudices, he was surprised by the cleanliness of the street and sidewalks. Though some of the villages he had been too in the past weren't nearly as clean the one other town he visited, when he was younger, was also clean like Cloudcrest.

The road on which he was walking continued for several more blocks and as he was lost in thought he also missed the road he was supposed to make his second left onto. If he could get this distracted in a town it was a scary thought of how he would do in a dungeon or cave system. Thankfully for the young man's gentle heart he hadn't considered such a dreadful possibility yet or this story could possibly be much shorter. Checking his map once again to confirm if he was at the right road he turned and began to make his way toward two blocks down.

These side roads, while busy, weren't nearly as busy as the main one he traversed earlier on his way to the guild hall. However, he still had to make his way around some individuals and through a couple of crowds every now and then. Most seemingly ignored the boy though a few offered smiles and a wave in his direction. Also, despite his young age, even some merchants called out to him with promises of the most amazing foods he had ever tasted.

"How do they know what I've tasted? How rude!" He thought bitterly.

Soon he found himself in front of a wide three story building with a dark wooden door, decorated with thin metal at the hinges and across the top and bottom where the vertical boards were nailed to horizontal pieces on the other side. Above the door swung a wooden plaque with a badger laying on its back and several "ZZZs" floating up from its nose.

"The Lazy Badger I would guess." He said to himself, though slightly audible, before making his to the door.

6