Chapter 33
132 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The very same hand that was used to try and calm Ethan’s grumbling tummy also opened the door before the advancing boy. Carefully he would enter the inn, making sure that the door wasn’t slammed closed on him again and also that there wasn’t someone on the other side. Seeing that it was all clear he stepped over the threshold and gently close the door behind him, of course only after checking to make sure he wasn’t shutting the door in anyone’s face. He was about to walk around the corner when he suddenly remembered he forgot something very important! Turning he opened the door once again and stepped down onto the rough mat made from various types of grass and stalks. He scuffed the bottoms of his boots against the mat several times, cleaning the bottom of any debris or other nastiness that didn’t belong inside. He stopped with a blink when he thought he saw a disgruntled insect scurry away after being dislodged from somewhere. Well, he assumed it was disgruntled, it wasn’t like the insect voiced any displeasure or made a face at the boy... or did it?

Satisfied his boots were clean he turned and made his way back inside, once again shutting the door behind him. He didn’t want to get yelled at again regarding trying to heat up the entire town. He no longer felt flushed from his extended time at the spa and smiled when the warmth of the inn washed over his exposed skin. He didn’t know it but his nose was even a little red from the cold hair outside and the warm light within enhanced the effect.

Rounding the corner he suddenly came to a stop upon seeing all the different peoples inside. Of course he had heard the amount of noise from outside, and earlier in the day saw all of those piled on top of one another, but to see all the tables completely surrounded by the max amount of seats possible was still a sight to behold. Well, the fact that they were so rowdy and at the same time, adults, was what really caught him by surprise. While the children at the orphanage were allowed to be children, when it was time to eat proper manners were expected, and those teachings were certainly not being followed here.

“Oi! Boy! You’re almost late!”

He knew the voice by now but he wasn’t sure where it came from. Looking around he attempted to locate the proprietor of this fine establishment but for the life of him he didn’t see her. His head suddenly tilted back a bit as he was hit in the forehead by another bread roll. Reaching up he managed to catch it while also moving his hand reflexively to his forehead.

“Wha?!”

“I ain’t that hard to see!”

He frowned before looking in the direction the bread roll, and voice, had come from and standing there with a toothy grin between the backs of two patrons at different tables was the pointed ear little hellion herself. He frowned because he could have sworn he had looked there just seconds before and she hadn’t been there. Unfortunately for Ethan’s confusion, he didn’t see the hidden snickers and grins of various patrons who knew what had really happened. He didn’t notice them, well because, they were hidden of course, which was the idea! Ethan was about to protest the situation when Ms. Badger suddenly waved her arm above her head.

“Follow me youngin. You don’t get a table spot because you’re late but I man aged to save ye a chair at least. You should be grateful!”

Oh he was and he quickly followed after her, trying to match her pace and maneuverability as she slipped between chairs and under outstretched arms, though the arm ducking didn’t seem to be too hard considering her short stature. They had just about made it through the chaos of tables and bodies, the though of her height having just passed through his mind, when she suddenly stopped. Slowly turning her head to look back over her should she eyed him from the corner of her eye.

“You just thought of something not nice didn’t you?”

“Huh?! No!”

He was so defensive, with his hands popping up to wave back and forth between them and his eyes wide as the plate he was about to eat from, that it was clear he had. Thought, despite his fears, she couldn’t read minds, she was just a touch sensitive about her height, at least in certain situations. That uncertainty generally brought about random accusations and in this instance it hit the mark.

“Pft.” It was just a sound but it made clear she didn’t believe him.

“Over here. I was going to apologize for being it off in the corner but you deserve it now.”

Pointing at the chair with a long digit and it’s claw like nail, she gave him a single word order.

“Sit!”

“Yes mam!”

He moved obediently to the chair and took the seat like a scolded child. Well, not so much “like” as exactly a scolded child. Seeing his apologetic demeanor Badger cheered up a bit and left it at that. Turning she disappeared into the kitchen and soon returned with a large wooden bowl filled to the brim with warm venison stew. He could see the chunks of venison, potatoes, and various veggies pilled up in a dark brown cream like liquid. Sitting on opposite edges of the bowl, half submerged, were two large bread rolls with two globs of butter on top. The bread must have been warm because the butter was visibly melting. As the mouth watering aroma hit his nostrils the beat was unleashed! His stomach wouldn’t be contained and from the depths of its void of hunger came a rumble of rumbles. He was too hungry to care though and although Badger couldn’t help but laugh at the reaction, in truth she was rather appreciative of such intensity regarding her food, she handed over the food without question. She also placed the currently ignored mug of water on the small shelf next to him, the wooden slab also home to a large cup filled with wooden utensils. From the cup she pulled a spoon and held it over to him which he quickly took.

“Thank you! By the Keepers this smells good!”

Badger watched silently, a smile forming from her thin lips, as the boy began to dig in without reservation. He didn’t attack it like an animal, however, he was only a few seconds removed from doing just that. He maintained his control though only by the thinnest margins.

4