Chapter 34
115 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He finally slowed down halfway through his second bowl and fourth buttered bread roll. Despite her feral demeanor at times Badger chose not to point out that only the first bowl was covered by the voucher he had received from the adventurer’s guild. Instead she just continued to offer him cups full of cool water and bowls of warm stew, which he finally had his fill of after finishing the third bowl. Despite his best efforts at trying not to belch one that was rather long and drawn out finally escaped though he at least managed to cover his mouth. Once his stomach was done with its “sign of appreciation and compliments to the chef” the boy leaned back in his chair with a satisfied and drowsy sigh. He was holding the empty bowl in his lap, the fingers of both of his hands loosely gripping the smooth sides as the wooden spoon rocked precariously back and forth on the edge, the side to side rolling matching his steady breathing. He was just about to fall asleep where he sat when suddenly there was an eruption of raucous laughter near the center of the room. The surprise was so much that he accidentally tossed the bowl and spoon up into the air, though, despite his fatigue he still managed to grab both before they fell to the ground. Letting out a sigh of relief he hopped down from the chair, retrieved the large cup that was now empty, and made his way toward the kitchen door. He was waiting for only a moment before Badger appeared carrying two large, round, trays covered in bowls and mugs of what was definitely not water.

“Oi! Watchya doing there? You don’t need more food do ya?”

Though she asked him the question she had already moved on to deliver the food without waiting for an answer. He watched in silence as she went to one table and then another, leaving a tray at each one, before returning to the first and then the second to retrieve the cleared saucers. Scooping them up and resting them under her one arm she returned to him with an inquisitive look.

“Ah, no! Thank you so much, I’m stuffed.” He offered a genuine smile before looking around.

“Where can I wash these dirty dishes?”

“Huh?!” She said with a bewildered look on her face.

“Umm... I need to clean these, I just don’t know where I can find the water.” He tried a second time with an explanation.

“Woa, you will do no such thing!”

She swiped the bowl, spoon, and cup from his hands with great speed before holding them defensively against her apron covered chest.

“Are you crazy? I could never allow a customer to do something like that! This place would become a laughing stock.”

With that proclamation her eyes suddenly went wide and she looked around to see if anyone had heard their conversation so far. Thankfully no one seemed to be paying attention and she let out a sigh of relief, though that relief was soon replaced with a bit of annoyance. Turning back to the boy she pointed at him with her free hand, though it looked kind of weird as she was still holding the trays beneath the matching arm.

“Listen here shorty. This is an inn, you pay for the food and service. Customers don’t work. Those who work aren’t customers. Don’t you dare do anything like trying to work here, you are a customer!”

With that she turned with a “hmph” and disappeared back into the kitchen, leaving a slightly shaken Ethan to collect his thoughts, and to try and calm his flexing fingers that had been prepared to clean his dishes. He was in the midst of turning and heading toward the stairs when she suddenly appeared through the doorway carrying a clean cup and a large pitcher of water so chilled there was a thin layer of ice covering the top.

“Here, for tonight. Just in case you get thirsty.”

She held it out for him, though he noted she wasn’t looking at him as she extended her arms in his direction. Instead she was looking out at the mass of bodies around her various tables.

“Was she mad at him?”

She couldn’t read minds so she didn’t know his inner thoughts, and after he took the pitcher and cup, she turned and went back into the kitchen so quickly he only had enough time to thank her for the water. A second or two later he was making his way up the stairs to the second level, his attention focused on the water sloshing beneath the barely frozen surface. Stopping at the top of the stares he looked around before leaning down and tentatively licking the ice. He shivered with a smile after lifting his head and then made his way to his door and unlocked it. After entering he placed the pitcher and cup on the table and then moved back to the door to close and lock it. Returning to the table he placed the two keys next the cup and then picked the pitcher up to lick the cold surface once more. He loved the feeling of cold things on his tongue, always had, and for the most part, probably always would. After a few more licks he poked the center of the ice to break it apart and then poured himself a cup.

Despite being full and not particularly thirsty, one didn’t give up a chilled drink easily. Thus he quickly downed half of the pitcher, letting out a loud sigh and smacking his lips upon finishing the third cup full. Returning the cup to the table he patted his stomach with a smiled and moved over to the bed where he finally took a seat on its edge. A few moments later his shirt was off, boots removed, socks draped over said boots, and his rope belt was untied to loosely rest against his waist. He didn’t even manage to get under the covers before he fell asleep, his body lopsided on the bed with one leg hanging off the side while the other reached diagonally in the opposite direction. At least his head was on the pillow so hopefully the following morning wouldn’t find a sore and contorted Ethan.

3