Chapter 45
110 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After discussing the details for a bit longer the pair determined it was time to go back to the front desk and go over how the job board and restricted areas worked. Still grinning from ear to ear Ethan followed excitedly behind Lorelle as they made their way down the hallway. In fact, the boy was so happy, that when he rounded the corner and almost bumped into Cecelia, instead of screaming and trying to run away he held up his adventurer's plate proudly for her to see.

"Look Ms. Cecelia! I passed!"

"Oh my, that's fantastic Mr. Kipley!"

Even though she was truly happy for the boy there was still a small hint of sadness in her words, as there was practically no chance she would ever be able to cuddle him again. Though, in this case, perhaps the word cuddle was inaccurate, but since she didn't voice her thoughts no one could openly correct her. Ethan was about to tell her his rank but suddenly remembered the warning from Owen earlier and quickly changed gears.

"I can take jobs now!" He added, not considering that obviously a receptionist of the guild would already know this, though Cecelia was tactful enough to simply continue the conversation.

"Yes indeed! When do you plan on starting?"

"Today if I can!" He didn't miss a beat and answered as if on reflex. Though it wasn't unheard of for new adventurers to take a job on the same day they were added to the ranks half of their day had already passed.

"Oh!" She seemed touched at his enthusiasm, displayed by her hand lifting to place her finger tips against her chest, above her heart. "That's great Mr. Kipley!"

Cecelia quickly turned to guide Ethan toward the job board but immediately stopped upon seeing Lorelle already there and obviously waiting for the boy. He couldn't see Cecelia's expression but it included puffed out cheeks and a fish like puckering of her lips as she displayed what could be argued was an "angry pout." While he couldn't see the expression he did suddenly feel an unknown tension in the air that made the hair on his arms stick up. Looking around he could have sworn the feeling was similar to when he ran across a carpet with socks on, but he couldn't see any signs of electricity, as he was oblivious to the invisible sparks erupting between the two receptionists. While Ethan continued to look around Cecelia, obviously considering the rules of the guild, turned away with a huff and walked away. She was so upset she didn't even say goodbye to Ethan and was soon walking back around the corner so she could get behind the receptionist desk. Ethan was about to say something, perhaps goodbye, when he was interrupted by Lorelle calling out to him.

"Over here Mr. Kipley."

Turning back to Lorelle he made his way over to the large piece of wall designated as the job board. As he approached he looked over the various pieces of parchment he considered it looked just as similar up close as it did from across the room. However, now that he knew it was available to him he was much more enraptured by the contents covering it. He even let out an audible "oooh" before coming to a stop next Lorelle, whom had to stifle a giggle upon hearing it.

"As you can see there are a lot of jobs available at any given time. This branch acts as a hub for not only our town but also the surrounding villages, farms and ranches." After giving him a second to consider her words she pointed up above the collection of parchments and then traced her finger down along the wall. Across the top were round circles painted on the wall with colors signifying the different metal types, with each one sectioned off from the other with black lines traced on the wall.

"As you can see the jobs are placed based upon their needed metal type. However, in addition to the metal type, each scroll has a letter." She lowered her hand and pointed to the left corner of one of the documents to highlight the fact it held a letter.

"The letter is in the same spot on every job listing. For the most part the metal type and letters will correspond regarding their location on the rank grid, however, as you'll note on this one, which is in the copper area but is listed as an A, that is not always the case."

Ethan took a step forward to get a better look at the example job she pointed out.

"Why is this one different?"

Lorelle smiled at his curiosity and was happy to answer, which she did with a warm smile.

"This is an herb collection job request that, while doesn't require much power or strength, does require experience in the identification, collection, and storage of the requested herbs. Not just anyone can successfully collect them, so it is considered a high level experience posting."

Ethan was about to say "oooh" again but realized it this time so he was able to stop himself, though his mouth had taken the shape of the sound so his lips looked kind of funny. Lorelle had to clear her throat to keep from fully giggling before pointing to the posting in the Copper section. She also lowered her voice as she began to speak again.

"Even though Owen assigned you Bronze, and despite his earlier words, considering his warning, and your lack of experience, I highly suggest you take several Copper jobs first."

Before he could reply one way or another she lifted a scroll from the wall and held it out for him. He took it and began to read over the contents.

"That one is to help remove some debris and rotten wood from a recent set of repairs at the local sanctum. Unfortunately the pay is rather low considering it is a sanctum so no one has taken it."

"I'll do it!" Again, no hesitation, no grumbling about anything, simply an excited boy wanting to work. She had picked the posting to act as an example but figured he would accept the offer, but didn't expect him to do so with such vigor.

"Excellent. Now, there is normally a three day time limit on Copper jobs, unless there are circumstances that require more time. Failure to complete an accepted job will result in a strike. If you accumulate four strikes at any one time you are demoted one rank. If you receive a strike after being demoted you are removed from the guild. A strike will be removed from your record after 30 days. Strikes can also be given for bad behavior and more than one strike can be given at a time if the offense is serious enough."

After listening to the system he nodded again and then happily confirmed his intent to take the job.

"That one please!"

 

Edit Note: Ethan's rank was changed to F-Iron to better reflect his situation.

2