Arc I – Chapter 9: Market research
3k 12 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After leaving the inn, Sian and Ophilia took a stroll around the town to gather information. First, they visited the merchant caravan camp, and with their well-dressed appearance, they easily entered the camp. They discovered that many wealthier merchants simply passed through the town without buying or selling anything, preferring a good night's sleep and a decent meal.

Some merchants considered opening businesses in the area due to its potential for growth, thanks to the fertile lands and its proximity to the borders of three kingdoms, which brought a constant flow of people.

However, the frequent skirmishes between Poutis and Edrorian deterred them. The risk of losing everything overnight was too great. This has already happened several times before, so they are satisfied just selling what they can and then move on.

Having gathered this information, they found that most merchants would be willing to pay for a room and meals, as camping outdoors was inconvenient for them. However, the price had to be reasonable.

As some merchants traded slaves, they also wanted to have a place to put them to stay overnight. After all, if they caught a cold or any other disease, it would only bring losses to them.

Next, they explored the mercenaries' camps, which were divided into groups of 15 to 40 members. With war looming nearby, these mercenaries were likely here to make money. Unlike the merchants, the mercenaries had no issue with camping and eating simple meals. Only a few were interested in renting rooms, but they were willing to spend money on equipment, repairs, and alcoholic beverages.

Afterwards, they sought out magic beast hunters, also known as monster hunters. These hunters usually came to town to sell monster materials to the merchants. They tended to form small groups for safety during hunts.

Having talked with various groups, they realized that the results were similar to those of the mercenaries. The hunters preferred to spend on necessities rather than renting rooms.

Finally, they attempted to gather information from the ordinary townspeople, but the results were not as fruitful. Being a small town, most residents didn't have much money to spend, and some even resorted to bartering.

"Finally, we're done, and it's almost noon. Let's head back to the inn," Sian suggested.

They returned to the inn and were greeted not by the receptionist, but by the manager, who led them to a table with a sumptuous meal, fit for nobility.

After finishing lunch, Sian took the opportunity to ask the manager some questions. "Is it possible to buy some land from the mayor, or do I need to speak to someone higher up?"

"Since we're close to the border, land is relatively cheap, and there's not much bureaucracy involved. You can talk to the mayor to buy land," the manager replied politely.

"And is there a limit to how much land I can purchase?" Sian inquired.

"As far as I know, there's no specific limit. You can probably buy as much as you want, as long as you have the money. However, I must advise you to be cautious. If the town gets conquered during the war, the kingdom might not return the land to its former owners. So, it might be better to wait until after the war," the manager warned.

"Thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind," Sian said, appreciating the advice.

"No problem. If you need anything else, feel free to ask," the manager offered.

With their questions answered, Sian and Ophilia retired to their room.

"How are you feeling? The morning must have been tiring," Sian asked Ophilia.

"While I'm a bit tired, there's no need to worry. I still have plenty of energy left," she replied.

After entering the room and throwing himself on the bed, Sian said, "Let's rest for a while and then go to the mayor's house."

Taking a long sigh, he said, "It's a shame that they don't have a bathtub here, it would be very relaxing to take a bath after walking so long in the sun."

"I think it would be very difficult for you to find an inn with a bathtub," Ophilia said.

"When I buy land, I'm going to build one. I am sure you'll like it," he said.

"Usually I clean myself with a wet towel to get the dirt off, the closest thing to a bathtub bath I had was in the river,"  she commented.

"Although it is not the same thing, it is also good." Sian took off his clothes, just wearing his underwear while he showed his well defined body. "Let's get some sleep."

Ophilia looked surprised as she said, "Sleep at this time of day?"

"Yes, as we still have a lot of free time, we can sleep before going to the mayor's house."

"But-"

"Don't overthink it. Just lie down and sleep. You don't need to pretend. I know you're tired after staying up late last night and walking a lot this morning," Sian said, handing her bag from the magic bag.

"Thank you," Ophilia said gratefully.

"No worries. Change into something lighter and come to bed."

After changing into sleepwear, Ophilia lay down next to Sian. Unexpectedly, she hugged him and gave him a passionate kiss. Resisting the temptation, Sian gently said, "As much as I'm tempted, let's save it for later. Right now, you need to rest."

He embraced her and reassured, "I understand why you're trying so hard. Being sold to a stranger and leaving everyone you know must be stressful. But don't worry, I won't hurt you."

He stroked her head and continued, "As I said before, I like you, or rather, I love you. Probably… I'm really not so sure. I've never felt this way before. I promise to take good care of you, so you don't need to worry about anything. You can even be a bit more selfish."

Ophilia listened in silence, staring deeply into his light brown eyes.

"We can continue this conversation later. For now, rest, okay?" Sian said, looking into her eyes.

Ophilia simply nodded and buried her head in Sian's chest.

Before long, she drifted off to sleep.

It appeared that she was exhausted, yet she refrained from uttering a word. Sian couldn't help but contemplate the situation. As a slave, expressing discontent or something like that to her master was likely out of the question.

He found her scent to be remarkably pleasant, making him desire to embrace her even more. Somehow, it seemed reminiscent of the fragrance he had sensed the night before. However, there was a subtle difference this time. It had a calming, relieving, and comforting effect on him, unlike anything he had experienced before.

Lost in his thoughts, he sighed deeply. "I suppose I should rest too."

After hugging Ophilia, Sian fell asleep, and they spent more than half the afternoon like that until he finally woke up.

Seeing Ophilia still asleep, he decided to let her rest and go to the mayor's house alone. He got up, tidied his messy black hair, put on his clothes, and as he was about to leave, a sleepy voice called out to him.

"Wait! I'll go with you."

"If you want, you can stay here and rest a little longer. I'll be back soon," Sian replied.

But Ophilia insisted, "I'm feeling much better now. This break was enough for me to rest, thank you." She smiled brightly as she quickly got dressed, and they both prepared to head to the mayor's mansion.

69