Arc III – Chapter 77: Visiting the Demon Lord (Part 4)
536 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though I said it was the castle gate, it would be more accurate to say the gate to the castle area.

It was a colossal iron gate, I am sure it must weigh tons.

Within my scope of vision, it had four round towers almost twice the height of the massive stone wall that connected them.

Windows are scattered generously along the walls, and given it’s size, it was impossible for one person to get through. Although I can't be sure, all the windows seemed equipped with what looked like cannons.

On top of the walls was an artillery complete with various cannons and crossbows.

Considering that on this continent there seem to be a lot of muscle brains, the place could suffer an attack at any moment from someone wanting to challenge the demon lord.

Or...

I involuntarily looked at Sian.

Seemingly oblivious to everything, he was walking and playing with Emily in his arms.

Since he didn't seem to mind it and my map doesn't show any enemy units nearby, this should probably be a common thing.

But just in case, I hold Tina's hand and approach Sian. Although I don't want to admit it, he is reliable at times like this and there is also Teshar, who is hidden in his hood.

When we got close to the gate, one of the neutral units shown on my map started moving fast. As the unit stopped in front of another, he was probably reporting our arrival.

Proving my hunch, seconds later, the colossal gate began to slowly open while creaking.

Between the opening, a demon in butler's clothing appeared.

"Welcome lord Sian and guests," he said. "Lord Claygramor is waiting for you at the palace. Please follow me."

Now that really sounds like the name that commands respect. Does this mean that Clay was just a nickname?

As we followed the butler, I could see the palace, and although I expected something big, it was bigger than I expected. But in terms of elegance, it was not refined like Uncle Frank's. In fact, it was quite rustic and in terms of appearance, it was far behind Sian's mansion.

If I had to say something that surprised me, it was the reception.

Forming a corridor were maids of various races that encompassed both demons, furry beastkins and normal ones.

After entering the palace, our hoods were no longer needed, so we removed it.

As we followed the butler, he guided us to where the demon lord was.

"Lord Claygramor is waiting inside," the butler said as he opened a door.

Without saying a word, Sian just walked on and I followed behind holding Tina's hand.

Inside the room, there was a standing demon dressed extravagantly with an imposing posture.

He was quite tall and muscular with a dark gray skin. If I add this to his yellow pupils and sharp teeth, he could certainly scare any normal person just by his presence.

Unlike the girls in Sian's mansion, he made no point of trying to hide his power, and even though my system couldn't measure it, I could feel it clearly.

Out of curiosity, there were several demons walking around showing their strength when we were walking in the city. This must be some kind of habit to show their strength.

"Your maid told me the good news."

The demon lord came up to us with a smile on his face.

"What a cute child."

The instant he approached, Emily hid her face in Sian's chest.

"Even if I expected this to happen, it is still painful to my poor heart."

Extending his hand to Sian, he continued, "It's been a long time, my friend."

"If you've been expecting it, then don't come so close."

Instead of taking his hand to greet the lord, Sian used it to push his face that was too close.

"Cold as ever."

Despite the way he was treated, the lord didn't seem to mind.

"So, who are these two?"

He looked at Tina and me.

Even though Tina is a tough kid, when faced this way, she partially hid behind me.

"My other daughter and a friend."

Although it seemed that Tina wanted to deny Sian's words, she kept quiet.

"Hey hey, don't lie to me like that. The expression of that child makes it clear that you are lying."

"Well, whatever. What about my gift?"

"Straight as always, but somehow I feel you look different today."

"It's just your impression."

"It might be," the lord shrugged. "Before the gift, how about lunch? My cooks have prepared a sumptuous meal to welcome you."

Without wasting a single second, Sian accepted the proposal immediately.

He doesn't seem to remember a single word of my etiquette lessons....

***

Although some dishes had an odd texture and appearance, overall, it was a tasty meal.

After lunch, the demon lord took us to another room, where we sat down and not long after, a maid brought Sian's gift.

"Here it is, your gift."

The lord gestured with his hand, pointing to the five black metal ingots that were placed on the coffee table.

"Is that what I'm thinking?"

Sian looked in high spirits as he looked at the ingots.

"Yep, that is what you are thinking."

"Your gifts never disappoint me."

"That was nothing, I'm just returning favors. I also have some goods prepared for you. I left them with your maid."

"Oh, speaking of goods, are you interested in doing business?"

"What kind of business?"

At the demon lord's question, Sian looked at me.

"Now it's up to you."

The time for work has come.

"So, what do you have to propose to me?"

The demon lord leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms.

"Commodity trading," I said.

After walking around the flea market for a while and getting to know many of the local products, I already had an idea in mind, so I explained my intentions.

I didn't want to buy just wheat and other grains in general. I wanted fruit, sugar, meat, animal skins, minerals, as many commodities as possible.

Many of the things that are common around here are things that don't exist or are scarce on the central continent. If presented in the right way, they will sell like fresh bread at a considerable price.

But I didn't just aim for a one-way trade. If possible, I wanted to sell products from there to here.

Since Sian seemed to be able to get from one continent to another with some ease, I would make him work until his bones ache.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to conclude the negotiation today. My proposals caught the demon lord and his advisors off guard. He said that they would make a survey of the products to be traded. Because of this, I would have to come back at a later date to settle things.

I thought that as a demon lord, he would simply be a battle maniac who liked to use his power to command. But I am quite surprised that I can have a civilized conversation with him.

It seems that you really can't judge a book by its cover.

After the negotiation, the demon lord invited us to stay overnight, but Sian refused. He said that Emily and Tina could not sleep away from their moms.

When we went to meet Bethony to come back, we didn't even get into the carriage, Sian took us straight in using space magic.

As soon as we entered the mansion, Sian jumped into Ophilia's arms while kissing her cheeks.

Although he said it was Emily and Tina, it was clear who it really was.

While we were talking about our visit to the demon lord, Dannanok brought ice cream that she had made with the help of Ophilia and Francionia.

Because I had already eaten too much during our visit, I wanted to refuse, but after seeing Ophilia's expectant face, I couldn’t refuse it. But it seems that overeating was not a concern for the others, they were eating happily.

Even Emily, who still seemed scared of Dannanok, temporarily overcame her fear because of her desire to want ice cream.

She was sitting on Ophilia's lap while being fed by Dannanok.

What a gluttonous little girl.

Just how much can she eat?

As we were talking, I realized something. Where is Sian?

When I searched with my map, I discovered him in a room, and next to him was someone we had forgotten inside the carriage.

With only the two of them there, I can already imagine what they are doing. Since it's not for me to judge, I just kept my mouth shut and turned a blind eye.

 

17