Chapter 34
897 6 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I bid my farewell to the boy, I headed in the direction he pointed to. Finding Arthur on the other hand proved to be quite hard. I was in a sea of tents, completely disoriented. I already didn’t know how to get back to the carriage before meeting him, but now? I cursed Aska for giving me the compass as a gift. I never lost my way with it and always knew how to get home. While it was definitely necessary to possess this tool in purgatory, it definitely didn’t help to rely on it for everything in retrospect.

After twenty minutes or so, most soldiers were already sleeping and I wasn’t in the greatest mood to ask someone where I had to go. And so, I strolled through the never-ending camp, flinging my sword through the air out of boredom. Soon, I entered an area where the tents looked slightly worse again and stood closer together.

“Bye-bye, you fuckers.”

Sadly, I lost the luxury to twirl my sword around and catch it afterwards due to how close the tents were. Bored, I let my mind wander around to the good old times and let my concentration slip, a slight mistake from my side.

Ten minutes after I began to yawn out of boredom, my alarm bells rang in front of a tent. Louder than usual, voices resounded from inside, one male and one female. While the woman didn’t exactly scream, she was still incredibly furious.

I wondered what happened there, but I couldn’t find any reason except that he couldn’t pay. The timing was weird though, so there must have been another reason.

In any case, the man on the other hand was obviously drunk and couldn’t even articulate himself clearly and sounded like a baby who babbled after their parents. Sadly, I was too late to understand what they were having an argument about, but at least I could witness the end which made it slightly more interesting to watch. Would they try to murder each other? Fight till the very end?

The tall man stumbled out of the tent, a bottle of alcohol in hand and thankfully fully clothed. As the tent opened, I noticed how the woman was just clothing herself and looked towards the man in disgust. He was staggering towards me and mumbled inaudible words. I was slightly curious what he would do but still had to blow my nose as my sharp senses picked up the unbearable smell of cheap alcohol and sweat. Disgusted, I held my nose and closed my eyes for a second, a serious mistake in retrospect.

“Mornin …” Said he and placed a palm on my shoulder. I didn’t expect that. Neither did I expect the emotional turmoil as flashbacks from a burning house and a pet I held went through my head. Disgust, fury and boiling hatred gripped my heart as my head raced to comprehend where his hand had been, what it touched and what it did. I opened my eyes wide open from the shock and glared at the man in front of me.

Barely a second after he placed his hand on my shoulder, I ducked underneath it and rushed past his side. The sword was already in my hand by then, reducing the time I needed even further. As soon as I deemed the distance appropriate, I swung around, held the sword high and rammed it into his neck.

As the angle was rather bad, I didn’t deprecate the man, but this wasn’t strictly necessary in the first place. The sweet, intoxicating scent of human blood filled my nostrils and overshadowed these disgusting scents of love. I pulled my sword out again, making sure that nothing, not even the beloved blood splattered on my dress.

“Eww. Shit.” It was an overreaction, driven purely by emotions. I knew that I made a mistake just a few seconds after the body fell to the ground and my head cleared a bit. And yet, it felt so satisfying to simply let loose and free a bit of my dark side. It felt good to smell human blood again and to indulge myself in desires I couldn´t fulfil since I came to this world.

Still, I was also a bit conflicted as logic dictated me to solve the issue at hand, while my heart told me to burn everything to the ground, just like back then. I was still deep in thought as the tent behind me opened again and the whore revealed her face.

The woman didn’t have the time to scream or even comprehend what was going on. Before she pulled the pane to the side completely, a flying sword already greeted her. Judging by her height and the sounds she made as she fell down with a rather dull sound, the sword impaled her through the head. I didn’t look behind me at all but was already deep in thought again.

Could I wash the dress? Did I even want to? Or should I take this as a spare as I only had a few other dresses? It was rather banal questions that went through my head and definitely not those that a functioning human being would ask itself. I didn’t mourn their deaths one second. I mean, why should I? Death comes and goes. It is like food, great when served, but bad when I was the food.

Shrugging, I grabbed the man by the ankles and pulled him inside the tent again, although I had to resist burning the skin of my hands the whole time. It was logic that drove me this time, not my own emotions anymore. After making sure that both of them were completely inside the tent, I grabbed a blanket with the gloves of the prostitute, spilt oil for torches over it and placed it over the blood outside. Luckily, it wasn’t too much blood, so I may be able to get through with this. If not, the consequences wouldn’t be too harsh in the first place.

Satisfied with my preparations, I went to a nearby fireplace and lit a pillow on fire using the embers. I carefully, but swiftly carried it back to the tent and threw it near the entrance. The fire soon enveloped the whole tent and the blanket outside, even faster than I expected. I waited until the fire began to lick the other tents nearby until I placed my hands around my mouth and screamed with all I got.

“FIRE!” I stared at the fire in shock as soldiers, still tired and some drunk rushed out of their tents and tried to contain the fire. The tent was already burning happily, but they did manage to drag the other tents away and contained the fire within a secluded place. After several minutes, the fire burned down, leaving only a pile of ashes and two unidentifiable brunt bodies behind. The newer recruits started gagging as they smelled the scent of burnt flesh, while I, innocent as ever, looked away from the horrible scene while making sure that a few tears rolled down my cheek.

Luckily, it didn’t take long for a few higher up to notice me at the scene. Someone I didn’t know approached me, clad in rather flashy military clothing with a few medals of honour on his chest. I nearly rolled my eyes as I inspected him closer. Overweight, bald and mid forty was definitely exactly how I expected an incapable officer to be. From the sight alone, I knew that trying to hide in the military was doomed from the start. If Arthur already told several higher-ups about me, it was only a matter of time before others knew as well. At least he brought me to Arthur afterwards, which was exactly the reason why I stayed near the fire in the first place.

32