2-29 Velrin
7.2k 17 168
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Big thanks and shoutout to my new patron; Neil

Erin had never been more thankful of her acquaintance with Iris. She knew the connections she made would without doubts come in handy in the future but she didn’t think her investment would show its worth this early.

When the Ruvan Paladins arrived on scene and witnessed Erin’s involvement in the whole slavery business, she was to be put under investigation along side anyone who was involved. Iris had appeared before at an impeccable timing. Through the Umbrum merchant’s promise of favor and some persuasion, Erin was untangled from the mess she herself had thrown herself in. Erin did not regret her own involvement in liberating the enslaved children but she sure wasn’t looking forward in getting embroidered into the web of politics.

The situation took a drastic turn for worse when the awful truth was revealed. The revelation came from one of the few surviving slavers. The revelation being corrupted court officials were involved in the slavery business. Of course, the Paladins did not take it lightly and soon, an abrupt meeting of all the town’s officials was convened, even Edith Rosemary the Guild Master was summoned to this meeting. And since Erin had a hand in this conundrum, she was offered a seat at this meeting but no way Erin was going to accept it. No one pushed for her presence in the meeting further when Iris herself stepped in to take her place and also to represent the merchants’ side of things. The crux matter was that this whole ordeal kept a secret from the public, for now.

With that behind her, Erin was eventually able to breathe easy, but only for a while. Her nightmare wasn’t over there. Upon returning to the church, the sun was setting and Erin was greeted by an enraged Lyra and a pouting Celia. Erin then remembered how she had literally ditched the two and went on her own pursuit without paying heed to their cries of caution. Both of them gave her stern warnings of her reckless actions. While Erin felt only guilt when she was reprimanded by Lyra, she couldn’t help but found it endearing when Celia mimicked Lyra’s gesture at reprimanding her.

In the magnificent garden by the side of the church, Erin recounted her tale in the afternoon to Lyra.

“You found the Corvas Twins?” Lyra asked with a face that couldn’t encompass all of her shock.

“Not the two of them. Just one,” Erin answered while she was feeding sweets to Celia in her lap. To make up for ditching her, Celia forced Erin to pamper her for the rest of the day. Erin wasn’t about to refuse her when she gave her a gaze resembling that of an abandoned puppy. Celia even had one of Erin’s tails within her grasp as she uttered the request.

“And he’s one of the slavers… Great… We don’t even have proper volunteers and what’s probably our last hope is down the drain too...”

“There is the other twin.”

“You said she found a job as one of Hegan’s guards. It must pay well. You think she would take our offer over that? If I was her, I would not take such a risk for just a few extra gold.”

“I suppose you have a point,” Erin muttered in resignation. She couldn’t deny Lyra’s reasoning.

“Back to square one,” Lyra said with a dry smile. “Anyways, this isn’t Green Scar. This is a huge town. There are a lot of adventurers here. Strong ones. There has to be some who are willing to take on a queer thrill.”

“I don’t think we would be short of volunteers for that if we asked but those who volunteer for the queer thrills are often greenhorns with only campfire tales as their experience. They would be of no use. We will just be sending them to a meaningless death. Those with ample abilities would rather move on to the next town than tackling the problem.”

“You don’t suppose there will be a draft?” Lyra asked.

“Lord Howard Clayton, the viceroy of Maven’s Creek is under the suspicions of corruption. His impeachment would sooner come than a draft for an expedition into The Singularity.”

“What a mess we are in… Erin, I don’t want to say this but… I don’t think we can do anything about this...” Lyra said her last few words in whisper as to avoid them slipping into Celia’s ears.

“I won’t say that...” Erin muttered to herself quietly. Stroking Celia’s head and gazing woefully, she prepared herself for the least favorable outcome in the days to come. “I will really have to take on The Singularity myself...”

“Pardon me, you two,” said Saphielle who had come up to them. “There’s a human woman here to see you, Erin.”

“A woman? At this place and at this hour?” Erin questioned.

“From the sound of her words, it’s quite urgent, I gather.”

Lyra stared at Erin.

Erin rolled her eyes. “I have not seduced anyone in the time that I was briefly away and I wasn’t even away for such reasons.”

“You’re a hook that fishes would swim naturally towards to. I won’t put that notion behind me.”

Erin sighed in resignation and made her way to her guest. Celia protested at first but when Saphielle offered her more sweets, she relented to her brief parting with Erin.

Passing through the arch of the garden, Erin followed the neatly paved path to the front gate where two Paladins stood guard at the sides. Beyond the gate, there was a woman covered in all black, even the hood over her head. Two short swords were sheathed behind her back in plain sight but judging from the way she carried herself, Erin couldn’t see the woman as an adventurer but as one dabbled in covert matters that involved blades.

“An assassin? No. An assassin would never reveal their weapon unless the displayed weapon is meant to be a decoy, which isn’t the case for this woman. Those swords of her are too polished and well-taken care of to be just decoys.”

Coming to such a conclusion, Erin held back on appraising the woman and exited the compound of the church to confront the stranger. The Paladins standing guard offered a few glances before returning their gaze to the front. Their responsibility was to keep away or quell any troubles and since Erin had chosen to bring the talk outside of the church, they had no authority to interfere.

“Can we go somewhere quieter and away from prying eyes?” said the woman in black cloak. “I’m not sure your two friends over there like me very much.”

“They’re not my friend and we’re barely acquainted other than a few exchanges of gazes. If we’re having a talk that must take place in shady places, I will have none of it. Good evening,” Erin said and prepared to leave. She didn’t want to entangle herself into another mess.

“Wait!” The woman grabbed Erin’s arm. “Please wait. This is important.”

Erin would have fended off this manner of insistence normally but feeling the slight trembling in her grasp, Erin knew it to be desperation and stayed her hands. She decided to hear what the woman had to say. “Let me go,” Erin told her without a hint of sympathy for whatever distress the woman was going through.

The woman complied hesitantly.

“Now, talk.”

“My name is Velrin Corvas,” the cloaked woman introduced herself.

Erin raised an eyebrow. She expected the other twin to show up sooner or later but this was fast. It hadn’t even been half a day.

“Velkan is my brother, my twin brother. I’m sure you already know who we are. You were there when he was apprehended by the Paladins, is that true?”

Erin eyed Velrin’s expression but saw no hint of aggression. Her hands showed no sign of going for her weapons. Erin deemed her to be of no threat. “It’s true. In fact, I was the reason he was apprehended,” Erin answered.

“I see… that damn idiot...”

“So? What’s the purpose of your visit?”

“What other purpose would I have, as the other twin, other than to see my brother as a free man once again.”

“Lady, your brother helped in the kidnapping of children from various races. A huge offense to the kingdom and its people. A great sin in the eyes of the Ruvans. It’s already a mercy to not have him killed on the spot and instead thrown into a prison.”

“His involvement in this foul trade was recent. That was just his first day. He probably hadn’t even drawn his first innocent blood. I beg of you, please pardon him.”

“I don’t have a say in this. I’m just someone who was at the wrong place at the right time.”

“But you’re a Fae. Your words held weight. Your kind has swayed political decisions in the past.”

“That is true. Nivia did tell me something like that but...” Erin sighed. “I have no intention of dabbling in politics,” Erin said and turned around to leave.

“Please. He’s the only family I have left. I’ll do anything to see him free.”

Erin stopped in her tracks and turned back to face Velrin. “Anything you say? Well then, The Singularity, would you dare to set foot in there?”

Colors were instantly drained from Velrin’s face. “W-why there? It’s a no-man’s land. There’s nothing there but the embrace of death.”

“Before we speak any further on that matter, are you aware that I have actually been searching for you two”

“That was you? You were the one looking high and low for us, not that pompous merchant, Iris?”

“Iris was just helping me.” Erin then frowned. “Sounds like you know Iris. Had some history?”

“We have heard of her. Almost everyone in this town has heard of her. People spoke greatly of her beauty but her character, they call her a Demon. Knowing that she’s looking for you, most times, it can’t be anything good.”

Knowing the Umbrum’s difficult personality, Erin nodded in agreement in her heart.

“Iris aside, what reason could you probably have to trot into The Singularity?”

“Celia,” was the first reason that came to mind but Erin stilled her lips and gave another answer. “The recent aberrations. Namely, the dwindling number of the monsters.”

“The Singularity is the cause?”

“Not quite but you don't need to know more for now. All you need to know is that I need companions to venture into that hell scape. Help me with this endeavor and I will do what I can in my power to get your brother's pardon.”

Velrin hesitated on nodding. Though she said she would do anything to free her brother, she wasn’t an idiot to jump at every chance without asking. “Why?” she asked, after a brief moment of mulling.

“Why what?”

Velrin scoffed. “Why are you helping with this problem?”

“Is it so hard to believe that someone simply wishes to help?” Erin retorted.

“Yes. I may be young but I am not unfamiliar with the world. There’s no Fae forest for miles. Your kind isn’t affected by this. You could have just move on to the next town if the danger is your concern.”

Erin chuckled lightly. “You don’t believe in generosity or charity.”

“I grew up in the dark side of people’s desires. There’s no such thing as generosity or charity.”

“Good insight,” Erin praised. “Honest word, personal reasons. But the fact of the matter remains the same, help me and I’ll help your brother.”

Velrin bit her lips and clenched her fists. Her brother had given much troubles since they were children. Nevertheless, they were orphans since young. He had been the only family she ever had. She would kill for him but The Singularity was an entirely different matter. She heard terrible things about that place, things worse than death. Even if she took the offer, success wasn’t guaranteed.

“Who else is in on this expedition?” Velrin asked.

“So far, no one but you and me. I don’t think it can even be called an expedition.”

“Even if I agreed to this, there’s no telling that we will succeed and if I don’t succeed, my sacrifice would have been for nothing.”

“You got me there, Lady. That’s the impasse I have been facing too. You have reasons to tread into The Singularity and I have mine.”

The two share a transient moment of silence and as they stare at each other, gauging each other's respective intentions and abilities.

“The expedition members, what are the criterias?” Velrin asked.

“No idiots, competent, and they follow orders, simple as that.”

“And the Guild agrees to that?”

“Look around you, Velrin. Look at your brother. Look at the desperation caused by all of the aberrations. It’s not even my first week in this town and I can already tell this town won’t last long with all the aberrations about. I don’t think the Guild can afford to be particular.”

“If that’s the case, I know a few people.”

“Well, that’s convenient. They’re up to the dangers of The Singularity?”

“Their personalities can be a problem but they all have good reasons for doing this, they will be as obedient as a trained hound. I vouch for their capabilities. They’re all above level twenty.”

“The Guild and the town itself isn’t in any condition to hand out generous rewards, are you aware of that?”

“Pardon them. That alone would suffice as a reward. Pardon is something that can never be bought with the amount of gold they earn.”

A tiny light glimmer in the corners of Erin’s eyes. This was it. This was the break she had been looking for but… there was no telling if her status alone could convince a pardon to be issued for this many individuals. She was a Fae but she didn’t know the extent of her influence. For all she knew, she could be overstepping her boundaries. There was also the Ruvans. They would not let the sinners off easily as per the demonstration she witnessed just yesterday.

“But Celia… if this drags on… there’s no telling what would happen to her if she fell into another episode… I have to make a decision now even if it means tangling myself with politics and deeper acquaintance with Iris.”

Erin took a deep breath and met Velrin’s gaze. Resolution painted her face. “We have an agreement then, Miss Velrin. But first, I wish to meet these people in person.”

168