4-55 Ensnared
2.1k 6 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More chains moulded of black lightning manifested around Erin and wrapped themselves around her, binding every part of her body, including her tails.

“If you’re afraid of heights, feel free to scream,” Darius said with a triumphant grin and took to the skies, bringing Erin along by the chains. The figure of a mass of black lightning shooting up into the clouds was sure to draw the attention of many.

Once Darius reached a certain height, he beat his wings and shot himself towards the east of the city. He was high above the clouds. No one could see him. They only caught a glimpse of him disappearing into the clouds. Therefore, Darius wasn’t too worried about being seen and followed.

Erin did not struggle or cry to be let go as they flew through the sky. She was dangling behind Darius by the chains. She was drifting and waving across the air like a piece of cloth but at most, she was showing a face that expressed her mild discomfort.

There was no need to panic. It wouldn’t have helped. Moreover, she knew she still had plenty of time to concoct an escape plan. They couldn’t kill her yet. If they could, they would have already done so. She surmised Darius was bringing her to someplace where they could keep her contained until the time was ripe. There was also the possibility of them bringing her to a place far away from Sephrodia Valley before promptly killing her but Aedan had shot down that likelihood as that would be way more complicated and difficult.

Erin was brought out of her cerebration when she felt the air around her become lighter. They were descending and they were heading towards a forested hill on the fringe of the city. Though at a glance, it didn’t seem like a place of any importance, Erin could feel the dark aura constantly oozing off from the direction they were heading. She could even sense the presence of four Demoids lurking around, probably as lookouts.

Darius was not gentle with his landing. He dispelled his wings long before he was anywhere close to the ground and let gravity do the rest. To avoid ending up with broken bones and pulverised flesh, Erin wrapped herself in Arcane Armour, Arcane Aegis, and Storm Shell. Even with three layers of protection spells, Erin still felt the might of gravity as they hit the ground. Darius himself wasn’t spared of injuries either but his constitution as a Half-demon took effect and he was without wounds in no time at all.

The silver lining was that the ground was damp soil instead of hard rock and the abundance of grass also softened their harsh landing.

“I’m guessing you never had a lady in your life before, have you, Lightning Fang?” Erin groaned.

“Silence, wench.”

“Hit the mark, did I?”

“I said, silence!” Darius kicked Erin across the jaws.

Thanks to her Arcane Armour, the damage was minimal but she felt the kick nonetheless.

“Another word from you, I’ll snap your jaws off. Do we have an understanding, vixen?”

Erin snorted but she nodded. She very much liked where her jaws were, so she complied reluctantly.

Without any shred of leniency or compassion, Darius dragged Erin across the hill as if she was just a huge sack of potatoes. The only thing Erin was thankful about was the fact that the chains acted as a layer of protection preventing her skin from directly grating against the rough soil.

“Halt!” shouted a voice. “Who goes there!?”

“It’s me, Darius. Is that you, Robbie?”

A young man dropped down right in front of them from a tree. He wore a simple dress shirt and a dull pair of trousers. He looked no more than a man in his late twenties but Erin could sense he was a Demoid. Unlike Darius, the young man, Robbie, wasn’t too proficient in concealing his Demonic nature.

“Darius… why are you here?”

“Why? Because I did something no one else has,” he said and yanked the chains he was holding, tossing Erin right to the young man’s feet. “I got her.”

Robbie had no reaction initially but when he saw Erin’s fox-like ears, his eyes widened. “Is she—”

“Yes, she’s Erynthea.”

“You succeeded…”

“Yes, I did. I hope you’re not thinking of backing out on the bet now, are you?”

Robbie tutted. “Why did you bring her here, Darius?”

“Lord Grid requested me to.”

“Don’t you know it was the ones behind Lord Grid who wanted the Fae, not Lord Grid himself.”

“Then you clearly you’re not privy to the most recent changes in the dealings.”

“What changes?”

“If you do not know, then it’s not my place to tell you.”

Robbie narrowed his eyes. “Lord Grid… he can’t be thinking to—”

“It is neither your place nor is it mine to question our employer’s decision. You just need to do what you’re paid to do. If you wish to whine, don’t do it in my presence. I don’t want to get implicated with you.”

“Fine,” Robbie sighed discontentedly.

“Now, let’s go to the cage.”

Robbie turned and ran in the direction where the trees grew compactly. Erin thought he would squeeze through in between the gaps but the trees bent and twisted out of his way as he approached, revealing a cave behind.

Erin’s admiration was made brief by Darius' harsh treatment as his prisoner. There was no forewarning given as he tugged at the chains, continuing in dragging Erin across the harsh soil and into the cave.

There were two individuals standing guard by the entrance. Or rather, they were sitting guard as they were playing cards with a crate and barrels substituting a table and chairs respectively. The two sprang up from their seat with vigilance dyeing their expression the moment they heard the trees moving.

Their weapons were already drawn before they even saw Robbie or Darius’ faces.

“Who?” shouted one of the two guards.

“Who else, you idiots?” Robbie retorted.

The guard clicked his tongue. “It’s just you and… Darius? Why are you here? You’re in your Demon form. But why? Don’t you have your work as a city guard?”

“Something came up,” Darius answered and yanked Erin up, dangling her in the air to show the two his prize.

“My word…” gasped the other guard. “That’s Erynthea… You caught her.”

“Yes, I did. Now pay up.”

The guard tutted, much like Robbie did. “Get it from Tim, damn it. All my money’s already in the pool. Anyway, why did you bring her here?”

“You do not need to know. Just have the cage prepared. Make sure all of the spells are activated. Don’t miss a single one. This vixen is slippery. Don’t be tricked by her charms.”

“You can’t be serious… What does Lord Grid say of this?”

“It is by Lord Grid’s order that I brought her here.”

“I know we’re Lord Grid’s men but what about the Co—”

“We do not say that name here or the other name,” Darius cut him off abruptly. “Just be quiet and do as you’re told.”

“But Darius, we may be Lord Grid’s men but it was them who provided us—”

Darius did not let the guard finish his words. He brandished his claws, hovering just a few inches away from the guard’s neck. “Not another word, Ron. You’re not paid to ask any questions. Now go, the two of you, and prepare the cage.”

The two men nodded and briskly ran to the back of the cave.

Robbie said nothing and took his leave, returning back to his post. The trees moved back into position as he left and the entrance was once again concealed under a tangle of leaves, branches, and roots.

Darius hoisted Erin over his shoulder and walked down the path where the two guards had disappeared into. Along the way, Erin caught glimpses of the cave’s layout and interior. She wasn’t able to get a clear view as her head was upside down and the sway from being carried did nothing to help with her vision.

Nevertheless, she saw and discovered a few interesting aspects of the cave. She had thought this cave was a hideout of sorts but that was not all the cave was. It was also home to a large and secretive group of soldiers and also a production facility, much like the one she had uncovered with Amyra and Nivia. There were a lot of doors along the corridor she was being carried through. Many of the doors were left ajar, unintentional or not.

“I know what you’re thinking, vixen. You’re probably thinking why am I so careless as to let you see all these things you were not supposed to.”

“That’s not what I’m thinking at all, you big buffoon.”

“Face your loss with some grace, wench. Don’t try to deny it.”

“I truly don’t care why. You should ask yourself, why would I care about that instead of the more important matters?”

“Important matters? Such as?”

“Getting out of here.”

Darius guffawed. “You deluded bitch. Do you still think you can get away? You can’t even break free of these chains. Your Spirit Magic spell, Essence Flare is useless against these chains of mine, if that’s your plan. Give up and admit your defeat. Your only path now is ruin.”

Erin fell silent in response.

Darius took that as a sign of her reluctant acceptance of her defeat.

After passing through the corridors with doors, they came down a long flight of stairs. A vast hallway spread out before them. There were rows of pillars except for the centre, where a diagram was etched into the floor with a baseless cage atop. Two Demoids stood beside the cage. One of them had a tall, slim, and crooked figure while the other was short, stout, and round. Their appearances were largely human but their dark skin, horns, and tail were huge detractions.

“Tim, Ron, everything’s ready?”

The two Demoid nodded and lifted the cage. Without any warning, Darius tossed Erin into the diagram and let the cage fall onto her. He then released her from the bindings of his chains. She could breathe easy again but she felt weaker than when she was bound by the chains.

“Will it kill you to treat a lady a little gently?” Erin groaned as she sat upright. The first thing she did was to make sure her tails were still as fluffy as ever. She had grown very attached to them. She had even begun caressing them whenever she was meditating or sleeping.

“I see no lady here but a dead piece of meat,” Darius scoffed. “Don’t think about scratching the diagram or something along that line. It won’t work. You don’t have to believe me. You’re free to test it out yourself. The diagram and cage are made specifically and especially for you.”

“Courtesy of the Covenant?”

“Only a fool would ever associate those two words together.”

Erin sighed. “I don’t know what you have planned but you are obviously at odds with the Covenant and ironically, everything special about you came from the courtesy of the Covenant.”

“Silence!” Darius roared as he banged on the bars of the cage. “You know nothing.”

“I don’t need to know anything. It’s always the same story. Your benefit at the expense of others' misfortune and misery. It’s always the same tune, the same rhythm. You all think the same. Your own prosperity is worth the adversity of others. So, save me the explanation or the sob story. I have heard it all.”

“And you and your kind are any different than me?”

“I can’t speak for the Fae as a whole but I can speak for myself. I would certainly feel terrible if I prosper while knowing I have caused the tragedy of others. I would certainly not be able to sleep at night. But I don’t suppose you would understand any of my sentiment.”

“Blather all you want, vixen. Nowhere left to run. Nowhere left to hide. Maybe you’ll feel more at peace if you can just accept your defeat.”

“I think you meant you would feel more at peace if I just gave up.”

“Think how you will, it does not change reality,” Darius said and turned around. He glared at the two Demoids who had reverted back to their human forms. “From now, you are to watch over her until Lord Grid arrives. If she somehow escapes, you’ll be food for Krieg. Understood?”

The two guards nodded.

Before walking out of the hallway, Darius gave Erin a final glance over the shoulder. “Pathetic bitch. Arrogant till the end.” And he disappeared out of her sight.

61