Chapter 73 – Algorian Rebels hold the Countess Hostage
12.5k 26 146
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 73 – Algorian Rebels hold the Countess Hostage

The armored Algorian rebel general continued his demands. “We will not be held against our contempt any longer. Algoria declares its independence, and we beseech the empire to respect Algorian requests for land between the Black River and the Bezor Mountains.”

To Devon’s right, the captain of the baron’s forces let out a laugh. “Can you believe these Algorian bastards? The Black River to the Bezor Mountains region can cover at least several thousand farms, and these bastards want it all for themselves! No wonder the empire gave up trying to negotiate with them years ago. Unreasonable, these bastards are.”

Devon didn’t fully understand the nuances of what was going on here, but he could see that reconciliation between the two parties seemed nigh impossible. He gripped his moonlight steel sword, understanding that this combat seemed like an inevitability at this point.

“Release the girl, and we will hear your negotiations!” declared the Countess’s family’s army. 

“The empire declines these terms, Algorians,” the general of the royal army retorted, giving a conflicting message to the Algorian side and causing more confusion. 

Upon hearing that, the Algorian rebel general with a white circle on his torso armor produced a wooden torch out of his coat, which a female assistant helped him light on fire. He then began walking down the flanks of his army, lighting a row of archers’ notched arrows one by one. 

Devon gulped. This looked bad.

“Ready!” the rebel general shouted. “Aim!” he said, pointing directly at Countess Ilyana’s cage.

The moment that Countess Ilyana’s family’s private army saw that, they began charging. With battle cries, the earl’s private army charged forward, followed shortly by the other earl’s army. Only the royal army remained despondent during all of this.

“Algorians, you have committed an act of war. There is no turning back now– surrender, or be swiftly terminated!” the leader of the royal army declared in a loud voice. 

It was too late for any more negotiation. Swords and axes collided with each other as Devon found himself rushing with the rest of two armies by his side, running down with the captain he acquainted himself with earlier and Patrick, who was now similar to a raging bull.

Humans clashed against humans in a bloody battle that spilled out across the plains, and in the middle of all of this, the rain of Algorian fire arrows initially pointed towards Countess Ilyana’s metal cage was now redirected towards the encroaching private armies. 

“Don’t get close to me!” Countess Ilyana shouted as several Algorian soldiers began to surround her cage, as she let loose an explosive infernal blaze that blasted the Algorian soldiers backwards. 

Soot and dirt flew everywhere as the Countess’s infamous explosive magic ignited the entire area around her cage, 

Suddenly, the comfortable image of cozying up with that cowgirl Devon left back at the earl’s place felt like a distant memory. He found himself embroiled in a full scale conflict, for the first time since entering this new world.

“Ha!” an Algorian soldier shouted, lunging at Devon and immediately attempting to pierce him with a long spear. Luckily for Devon, the spear could not sink through his torso armor.

Devon punched back with his left hand, his fist smashing into the Algorian soldier’s helmet, causing a bloody impact on his hands. 

[You have been injured.]

[Due to the passive Dead Man Walking, your injury is now healing.]

Just like clockwork, Devon’s ability kicked in and began regenerating any damage dealt to him the moment he received it. He unsheathed his moonlight steel sword and swung wildly at the Algorian soldier.

Lifting his shield, the soldier blocked the sword swing, but the moonlight steel sword sank into his wooden shield and chipped into it. The quality of the blade was unmistakable, and was a big advantage to someone like Devon with no swordsmanship experience at all. 

Arrows and explosions rang out left and right, as soldiers and archers clashed with each other from both sides. The royal army’s cavalry charged from the side, driving the Algorian soldiers into the melee even further, like packing sardines in a can. 

Patrick grabbed an Algorian soldier’s helmet and began squeezing, crushing the poor rebel’s head as if it were a watermelon. It reminded Devon of the gorilla demon, except this man was a human, just pure muscle. 

Devon tried to rouse his mana from within his body, but the attempt was muted by an axe blow towards his head, which he just barely dodged by sidestepping. 

I just logged in and saw that we're on trending again XD

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu sooooooo muccchhhhhhh

Richard Garrett
Judd
unknown
Madcalamity

<3333

Sorry if I miss some bonus chapter week goals, every day is a writing challenge so sometimes it's hard to hit promises, but I will try > <

146