Chapter 1: A Predestined Conclusion
66 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several different noises can be heard at this time of the day.

Lots of people can be observed walking along the sidewalks. Some wear school uniforms, others donning formal polo shirts, pants, decent blouses and pencil skirts. A number of them are walking in pairs or groups as they chat along while others are entering inside the shops. The atmosphere was lively and people were obviously cheerful and relaxed. If one looked up, the sky was stained in autumn colors as the sun began hiding behind the clouds. This was a typical day in the prosperous city of Azure.

Somewhere in the city, a small crowd was waiting for the traffic lights to turn green. During the wait, students were chattering with their fellow students. A man in a white long sleeved collared shirt was holding a phone near his ear, speaking with a slight frown marring on his face. A middle-aged woman was carrying a paper bag filled with groceries in one of her hands while she kept glancing at her watch. Some were just waiting patiently, either watching the moving cars and trucks or looking up at the traffic lights.

Among the group, there is a particular woman in her twenties. Wearing a faded brown jeans and simple white blouse, she easily blended in the crowd. Her expression was unreadable as she watches the moving vehicles. It has been three weeks since she moved from this city from her hometown of seven years. It was also where she had spent her marriage life, five years out of those seven years.

A marriage that she ended three weeks ago.

The woman unconsciously looked down at her left hand. She absentmindedly touched her left ring finger, where a simple gold ring was no longer worn. A ring that made her the happiest woman in the world during the exchanged of vows. A ring that also represented her broken heart as her love slowly shattered and faded over the course of five years of unreciprocated feelings.

The woman closed her eyes and slowly exhaled.

“Yes, this is how it should be now. How it should be seven years ago if not for my stubbornness and greed.” She pondered.

The crowd began to cross the road as the traffic light turned green. The woman kept walking while still immersed in her thoughts. She came to her senses as she finally finds herself in front of the apartment building where she temporarily rent a single person room.

As she was about to walk up the stairs, she was greeted by a kind and soft voice.

“Good evening, Ms. Sawyer. Going home from work?” greeted by the old landlady to the woman.

“Nice evening to you too, Mrs. Cinders. Yes, it was a bit busy today so I’m planning to rest early.” The woman responded politely.

“I see. You look a bit pale, indeed. Are you still yet not familiar in this city?” asked Mrs. Cinders, concern shining from her wrinkled eyes to the woman with sad eyes that rented one of the rooms a few weeks ago.

“I’m still adjusting a bit but I have met many kind people whose helping me adapt so I’m really thankful. Thank you very much, Mrs. Cinders.” The woman said, smiling gratefully at the considerate landlady.

“My, look how sweet you are, dear. If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to find me and I’ll try helping you.” Mrs. Cinders replied, liking the woman’s respectful attitude and holding her hands warmly. “Alright, you look like you need to rest. I won’t be holding you here longer. Hope you have a good rest, Ms. Sawyer.”

“Will do, Mrs. Cinders. Have a great evening as well.” The woman bade goodbye. She ascended the stairs until she reached the third floor and walked up to a locked door. Getting her keys from her bag, she unlocked the door and enter the room. She did not bother turning the lights on and made her way towards the bed, relying only on the light illuminated by the moon that was reflected on the windows.

Dropping the bag beside the bed, she quickly changed her clothes and lay on the bed, exhaling a sigh of relief. As she waited for the sleep to come to her, she stared blankly at ceiling. The woman heard muted noises and movements from the window near her bed and from outside her room.

“Haaah...” the woman sighed in a tired tone. She put an arm over her eyes and bit her lower lip.

The woman held this position for a while. Despite the darkness, the moonlight filtered through the windows and was reflected to something that was slowly sliding down on the side of the woman’s eyes.

Tears keep streaming down from the side of her eyes.

As if she was choking, the woman made a sobbing noise as she sat up and buried her face in her hands. Her back was hunched, her body slightly trembling. Her cries were swallowed by the blackness of the night.

 

--------------------

 

A month had passed by as the woman gradually familiarize herself to a routine. From going to work to going directly at home during the weekdays and doing chores and grocery at weekend. After more than a month, she still struggled in getting use to the fast and more demanding pace of people’s lifestyle and work in the city. However, the woman welcomed it and kept herself preoccupied. After an exhausting day at work, she always went straight to bed and slept deeply. During the weekends, she busily clean and tend to chores and go outside for grocery.  She gradually felt her mood lightened and her thoughts free from recalling certain thoughts.

One Friday evening, she waved goodbye to her colleagues as they were done from work and went on separate ways. As she walked, the woman contemplates if should she join a volunteer work during the weekends as she was finally adjusting well living in the city. 

Her musing got sidetracked as she passed by a bakery and saw various displays of colorful cake slices. She paused and stood for a minute in front of the glass pane, staring at the cakes with a deep expression. Suddenly, a small smile was portrayed at her face and she went inside the bakery. As she got out, a paper box with the bakery’s logo was held at one of her hands. It was noticeable that the small smile was painted at her face all the way going home.

Just as the apartment building was in her sight, she heard a voice calling.

“Athenilda.”

The woman paused. She frowned. Is someone calling her name? It can’t be. Most of the people who knows her in the city either called her Ms. Sawyer or Nilda. As she thought that she might just have misheard and  about to continue walking, the voice said her name, louder this time.

“Athenilda.”

She stopped in her tracks.

“Athenilda.” The voice called again. Clearer and seemed nearer this time.

The woman’s eyes began to widen and shake. She slowly turned her head first, then her body, towards the direction of the voice.

Her wide eyes met the gaze of the owner of the voice as the person slowly approached her.

“W-Why are…?” the woman’s voice trembled, unable to complete her question.

The man stopped in front of her. His eyes kept gazing at her face. His hands carefully went up her face, gently touching her cheeks. And in a rough and deep voice, he said,

“I finally found you.”

The woman just kept staring at the man, surprise and sadness was evident on her expression.

As the man was about to lower his head and kiss the woman’s forehead, she turned her head to the side and gently grasped the hands on her cheeks and put them down. She swallowed and cleared her throat before speaking.

“What a nice coincidence meeting you here. Do you have work matters here in the city?” she asked, suppressing the turbulent emotions swirling inside her heart.

The man stared deeply at her eyes, as if trying to read her.

“I… Can we talk?”

He asked her.

“I honestly don’t think that’s a good idea.” The woman refused. “You must be very busy. I won’t keep you longer. It was good to see you again” She said, turning to leave. The man hurriedly grasped her arm.

“Wait, Athenilda.” He implored her.

“Please, let’s talk things over. It’s alright if we talk here if you’re uncomfortable just the two of us.” He plead, smiling sadly.

“…” the woman didn’t answer immediately and with her shoulders drooping, she nodded her assent.

“…I rented a room at that apartment. Let’s go, we could talk over there comfortably.” She said in a resigned tone, pointing at the building a few minutes away.

As she started walking, the man began to follow her. As he went to her side, he held her hand. The woman got surprised at the gesture and tried taking her hand away, only for the man to tightened his hold and firmly grasping her hand.

The woman turned her head away and bit her lips. Her other hand that was holding the paper box, was clenched tightly, wrinkling the upper part of the package.

4