Chapter 2: Determined Decision
69 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two had arrived at the front of the building. As they entered the lobby, they met the landlady.

“Good evening, Mrs. Cinders.” The woman greeted politely.

“Oh! Good evening as well, Ms. Sawyer.” The landlady returned, looking at the man curiously and the pair’s joined hands.

The woman cleared her throat awkwardly. “This is an acquaintance of mine. Will it be alright if I invited him for a while to my room, Ma’am? We’ll just have a conversation.” she asked, seeking permission to the landlady.

“It’s fine, my dear. Just take your time. It’s still early for curfew.” Mrs. Cinders smiled.

The woman thanked Mrs. Cinders and led the man to stairs and to the front of the room. The man kept quiet throughout the whole conversation with the landlady but she felt his glances directed to her.

The woman tried to untangle their hands but the man kept his hold.

“Hey.” She protested.

“…Ms. Sawyer?” He asked, his expression unreadable.

“…Please let go of my hand first. Let’s talk inside.” Was the woman’s reply, not meeting his eyes.

The man reluctantly released her. As she unlocked and opened the door, she immediately went inside and switch on the lights. She went and placed the paper box on the table and turned towards the man who followed her inside as he closed the door.

The woman crossed her arms as she stared and waited for the man.

They just stared at each other for a while.

Finally, the woman decided to break the silence.

“What do you want to talk about? I’m really tired working today and would like to rest as soon as possible. Let’s finish this quickly.” She said while sighing.

“How are you doing? You have lost a lot of weight since the last time we talked at home.” The man began, observing the thin figure of the woman and the hand he held as they went to this room. His concern obvious.

“I’m fine. I was just a bit busy these days.” The woman indifferently replied.

“I… I missed you, Athenilda. I was worried and couldn’t find you anywhere in our town.” He confessed, his voice a bit trembling.

“Let’s go back home, wife.” He coaxed, stepping closer.

“Stop.” The woman raised her hand.

The man stood still.

“Stop.” She repeated, her voice deepened. “I already signed the documents for separation and left the ring on top of them. You just need to sign on your part and all this farce will be over.”

“Don’t worry, I promise you. We will be in our separate ways. I won’t bother you anymore nor pester you with my presence. I apologized for all these years. You’re free now and can do what makes you happy.”

She said to the man while trying to smile sincerely as she felt like her heart was being crushed again a thousand times.

“Don’t be like this, Athenilda.” The man frowned, his expression hurt and pleading. “Let’s fix this matter, let’s fix this between us. It’s not a home there without you, my wife. Please.”

The woman just shook her head.

The man finally went in front of her and hugged her. At the unexpected embrace, the woman went stiff and tried to get away, her hands on his chest and pushing him. The man put an arm around her waist while the other one settling at the back of her neck.

“Let go of me.” The woman said stiffly.

The man only hugged her more firmly.

“Let go.” She repeated.

“Athenilda.” He called softly and sweetly.

“Do you know what today is?” he asked her as he rested his cheek at side of her head.

The woman paused her movements, a hitch was heard as she breathed.

“Today is special because this is the day my wife was born. I remember my wife loves pasta and cheesecake.” The man continued.

“Let’s go home, Athenilda. When we get home, let’s order the pasta in that restaurant you like and the cheesecake I tried making to celebrate your birthday. Hmm?” The man gently persuades as he nestled his face in the crooked of her neck.

“No.” the woman refused, this time struggling fiercely.

“Wife…” the man cajoled again.

“Let go!” the woman shouted, pushing back the man away.

The man, pushed away, tried to approached the woman again but halt in his tracks as he saw her crying expression.

Tears was pouring out from the woman’s eyes. Her face wretched in sadness and pain. Overwhelmed by her emotions, it took her a few times before she could open her mouth and speak.

“This is why I cannot hate you, Lowell.” She uttered the man’s name in a defeated voice.

“Do you know how you made my heart flutter, how your gestures as my husband made me feel so blessed that I was able to marry you?” she poured out.

The man stared at her, his expression confused. He tried to reach for her again but the woman avoided him.

“I don’t understand.” He said. His expression full of questions.

“But then again, I already know. I was aware since from the beginning.” She continued as she stared at his eyes.

“That you already love someone and your heart belongs to another woman. And it’s not me.”

The man’s expression froze. His eyes began to shake.

“Athenilda…” he called out.

She kept going on, laying everything bare between them.

“I know from the moment I pursue you, your heart was already somewhere else. I know that due to certain circumstances, you and your beloved cannot be able to be together. I know from the moment we got together, your heart still pines for her but you still respected me and treated me with care. I accepted that, thinking that with time, we could love each other. That you could learn to love me as well.”

The woman stopped and breathed deeply. Then as her voice shook, she concluded:

“The day when we exchanged lifelong vows was the happiest day of my life but also the most painful one. Did you think I would not notice how you hesitate during the vows and that you were distracted throughout? Then these five years of our marriage, five painful years,” she stressed.” I know you still have feelings for her as your eyes always wander to her whenever she’s present. And that you got a solemn and broken expression afterwards.”

“I...! It’s not…” the man tried to speak, his expression showing his panic.

“It’s my fault as well, I admit. I was too blinded by my feelings for you and got greedy. Maybe this was just my retribution.” The woman laughed hoarsely.

“So let’s just end this, Lowell. Thank you for respecting me as your wife and for being faithful for the past seven years. I deeply apologized for taking advantage of that and kept you away from the woman you really love. I’m giving you freedom and wish you happiness from the bottom of my heart.”

“No. Please, Athenilda...” the man tried to explain, his voice got hoarse as well.

 “Leave now, Lowell. There’s nothing to talk about anymore.” The woman said in a dejected tone, dismissing him.

The man stood still, having a torn expression.

“Please. Leave. Now.” The woman repeated firmly. Each word pointed.

The woman had her head bowed and her eyes closed. After a brief silence, she heard footsteps and the door being opened and clicked shut. She opened her eyes and saw no one in front of her.

“Goodbye, Lowell. Thank you and I’m so sorry.” She whispered as tears keep streaming down her face. She clutched her chest and sobbed painfully. She let out heart-wrenching sobs and clutched at the side of the table as she felt her knees weakened.

She didn’t know how long she stayed like that, but gradually her heightened emotions calmed down and she tried getting up, preparing herself to sleep.

All of a sudden, everything seemed to tremble tremendously.

4