chapter 16
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They continued down the stairs with Nick keeping himself fully in front of Judy. The steps went on for what seemed like forever before they finally entered into another large room. They gazed around what seemed like an empty room searching the corners for any movement. They swept the room completely, Nick using his night vision to assist.

 

"Hey Nick, what do you think all these doors are for?" Judy asked looking around slowly.

 

"I'm not sure" he said looking around and trying to see any differences in the doors. The torches had been lit just as the ones upstairs. There was no indication of who lit them, nor why or where they went. "I guess we will have to look around for another exit if we want to get out of here though." Stepping up to the one closest to them he observed it. It appeared to have been built for a medium sized mammal about the height of a wolf. It was a thick sturdy looking red cherry wood door with very little decoration. It had no knocker and only a single letter in the center at the top. It was a large and ornate F. "I wonder what the F stands for."

 

"I'm not sure but I suppose we should choose one." She said looking around. She started trying to count and stopped somewhere to the middle. "this one is giving me a good vibe." she said moving toward one in the center of the wall across from the stairway.

 

Nick followed looking a little cautious, "I don't know what we should do here, but I guess you're right carrots." He opened the door and looked in, but it seemed to open into a hallway that went ahead about ten feet before taking a sharp right. He led the way making sure to keep in front of her. They followed the hall as it twisted and turned. The walls had nothing to look at and seemed to be made of stone.

 

They rounded a corner where there seemed to be some kind of light and came face to face with a large lion with its teeth bared and staring at them with a feral look. They both jumped and began to run back down the hall before Nick stopped and looked back

"It's okay carrots come back." He yelled down the hall where she had just disappeared. He looked closer at the creature that had been stuffed. It was naked and made to look like the primitive version of mammals before they became civilized.

 

Judy rounded the corner tentatively looking at the lion, "who would stuff a lion? That's totally barbaric." she said gazing at it.

 

"I'm not sure, but I think this may have been someones trophy for some reason. I don't have a clue why though." He said looking revolted. "Let's move on before I get sick. Just be careful" He said starting down the hall again. They began to pass several windows that had other bizarre exhibits. They saw a wide array of stuffed creatures and began to feel worse and worse as well as feeling like spiders were crawling through their fur.

 

There was another part they entered where they were even more freaked out. As they approached this window it took them a moment to figure out what they were looking at. There were snakes with two heads and lizards with two tails and many other parts of animals and creatures that were strange and deformed.

 

They continued on quickly. Around the corner they found a rather large window. As they approached they realized it was a set up that appeared to be a recreation of a warren. It had many many stuffed rabbits everywhere, and at the side was a family of stuffed foxes. Both creatures families had not only adults, but small children as well.

 

Judy turned and buried her face in Nicks chest and he wrapped his free arm around her. "Why would anyone kill animals to stuff them?" she asked from his chest, "This is just disgusting and creepy."

 

"I know it is carrots, but there isn't anything we can do about it now. Let's just keep trying to find our way out of here.

 

They continued on trying not to look at the displays in front of them. Eventually they came to another door.

 

"Nick what's written on the door?" She asked trying to see around him.

He hadn't seen it at first so he looked again and held the torch up so they could both read it.

 

A warning to all who enter here.

What you find may bring you fear

For those who wander down these halls

Search for those whose spirit calls

Your own spirit may be tested

By the one your past life bested

Or if it's love they seek to find

You may find your past lives bind

Only those who pass the test

And discover for them what's best

May leave this chamber empty handed

With new knowledge one's mind unstranded

But those who refuse to learn

The lesson that caused the spirit to burn

Listen close and listen well

Or forever you'll be lost as well

 

They glanced at each other and back at the door. "Well that seems pretty freaky." Nick said "should we turn back and try another door?" He asked.

 

"No we came this far and passed all those creepy displays already. I'm not going to turn back just to find more sick trophies. I want to get out of this place." she said reaching for the handle.

 

They walked through the door and came to a split hallway. Nick walked left and then right trying to hold the torch higher and see what was ahead. Judy stood at the right and picked up her own torch from the wall so she could walk down the hall a bit to see further. She turned back to Nick only to see the hall he was looking down had disappeared. Nick was nowhere to be found.

 

"NICK!!!!!" she yelled looking for him and even tried walking back out the door only to find it locked. She shivered and tried pushing on the wall in many places where Nick had disappeared. Finding nothing she started down the only direction she could go. With tears in her eyes she continued on vowing that she would find him again or die trying.

0