chapter 19
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nick looked forward and followed the hall. He was thankful for his night-vision, since he had lost his torch. The shadows were not as deep as he thought and couldn't figure out why he could see so clearly in what seemed to be complete darkness, until he looked up. The todd saw some kind of glowing green crystals embedded into the bright enough for most creatures, but enough to help those with night vision.

He continued on until he found a fork in the tunnel. The fox had to choose left or right. To the right he saw more of the crystals embedded along the walls but it led into some kind of mist. To the left was complete darkness. Nick decided to err on the side of caution and travel the path with the possibility to see.

The red vulpine walked slowly into the mist as it seemed to press in around him. He began to hear voices he couldn't make sense of. Then he put his paws to his side trying to feel the walls for guidance. Just as he felt one fall away and he was going to turn that way he slammed into a wall in front of him. He fell hard and his head hit a rock jutting out of the wall on his way down. Everything went black.

He woke to the sound of someone talking and looked around quickly.

"So you thought you were worthy of the princess?" a large husky asked appearing right above him. He tried to speak but found his muzzle was stuck with rope. "Oh don't bother trying to speak. your not going to be doing that ever again if I can help it." The strange creature said with a dark look.

He tried again with an extra burst of adrenaline and was able to break the bonds. Licking his lips he looked to the creature and demanded "Why am I here?"

"Oh your stronger than I thought. Well fine I'll grant you one last conversation before your trapped here forever. I am the kings paladin. You have been charged with trying to corrupt and steal our beloved princess. I am to make sure she believes you have abandoned her and will never return." He stated before looking toward the table in the corner of the room and starting that direction.

"I don't care what you do to me! I will never give up on her! I... I love her." He said as a tear ran down his cheek.

"I know," he said smoothly looking at the items on the table before opening a book. "that's the problem. You know I should be thanking you. Because of you I get to try an ancient ritual I have always wondered about." He paused menacingly before glancing back and locking eyes with the golden retriever strapped to the table "To rip the soul from the body!" He whispered grinning as his eyes glowed red.

A shiver of shock traveled down his spine, "why would you want to do such a thing? Is it truly so bad that the princess falls in love? Would you truly desecrate a soul to force the princess to marry someone she does not love?" Shu barked boldly.

"I care not. This kingdom will fall soon enough, but until that time I do as my king demands. And this time it is making you disappear forever." He said as he walked him. He produced a blood red dagger as he got close and positioned it over the golden retrievers heart. "This was made from the blood of a dragon. Very durable and always sharp. It has ancient magic imbued into the blade. With this I can kill you while your soul will be taken into it. You will be forever trapped here." He pressed lightly and cut through the clothing.

He paused again and locked eyes with shu once more. "I'll make you one promise. If anyone ever frees you by solving the maze you will be free to go on to paradise. However should the vial break before you are out of the maze then your spirit will inhabit the body of the one who broke it. You will be forced to share mind and body with them until you can receive a kiss from your one true love. If the moonlight touches your skin before this can happen you shall be forever trapped in the body of that mammal." He said.

"What are you talking about!?" yelled Shu.

The evil creature began to chant before stabbing him through the heart swiftly. Nick felt a massive pain and was unable to breathe. Then He ripped the dagger to the side and Nick felt himself being ripped from the body. Then he tipped the dagger as though pouring the blade into the vial and corked the top. everything went black.

He awakened suddenly grasping at his chest and coughing violently. He felt no wound however and was able to breathe again. That was a very strange dream He thought as he stood to his feet once more. The mist was gone. How long was I out? he thought. At least now I can see again. He checked the vial to ensure it hadn't broken before continuing on.

After what felt like hours of walking down winding and twisting tunnels he came to a dead end. there was a painting of a door with a riddle in the center. He turned back in time to see a stone rolling into place blocking the hall behind him. He tried desperately to move it but it was steadfast. He turned once more and decided to inspect the riddle for a possible clue for escape.

The past holds the answer

The present hold the key

The future undecided

For spirit must you be

Nick had been staring at these words for hours. He kept puzzling over possible ideas. after an hour of being here a small table next to him produced a glass of water and a sandwich so as long as that continued he would be ok, but he needed to get out and find Judy. He decided to get some rest and laid down on the floor to sleep.

Judy had lost track of time as her and this spirit used idle chit chat to pass the time. They learned a lot from one another and realized they had a lot in common.

"So were you even slightly worried about what your parents would think about you falling for someone outside your species?" Judy asked aloud.

"Of course I was, but the heart wants what the heart wants. No matter what tradition may say you must be true to yourself. If you give up on someone you love just because you are afraid then you never truly loved them did you." Oma said in her head.

"That makes sense. I guess I should just stop worrying about what others think and go for it. Just like I did with my career choice. I won't let anyone stop me from being a cop. And if I decide I want to be with Nick forever than I cant let anyone stop me." She said aloud as she took another turn.

"I've looked at your memories of this todd you love. He is remarkably similar to my love. Perhaps the two of you may be our incarnates. We believe that when you die your spirit comes back in many forms and sizes. I am not sure if mine could pass on since it was trapped however. I just hope I can join my love in paradise." She said and seemed to sigh in Judy's head.

"Don't worry I'm going to do everything I can to help you. You will be with him soon." As she finished this sentence she approached a very large room that was a beautiful had a stream down the middle and had a large arrangement of flowers. "This place is amazing!" She gasped at the sight.

"We must not be distracted. I feel drawn to it as well, but we must move on unless you wish to be stuck with me in your head and walking around in my body for the rest of your life." said Oma obviously just holding back her own feelings of awe.

Judy moved forward toward the center of the room to try to get a sight of a door elsewhere in the room. As she approached a pedestal slid slowly from the floor in front of her. Upon it was a tablet which she looked at carefully.

Congratulations traveler for you have solved the labyrinth. However there is a spell upon the exit. In order for you to be freed you and your love must share in true loves kiss. If you have made it this far without them then your reward is to live your days here in 'paradise falls' I congratulate you once more and wish you a long and happy life here in my garden as I'm sure you will never escape - Damien (the Paladin of the land)

"Great, so we have to stay here until Nick comes. Well I guess we can go for a swim at least." Judy said as she looked around and headed toward the stream.

"Leave it to that evil scum to put a trick in place to make things more difficult. I'm sorry for this mess Judy. If I had been more vigilant this may never have happened." Oma said quietly.

"Don't be sorry Oma. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet you. And honestly it's nice to have the company. If we wind up stuck like this then we will just have to make the best of it. besides maybe Nick would like me better as a fox than a rabbit anyways." Judy said trying to console her new friend and herself.

Nick was puzzling hard over what to do. He figured the last part meant that the soul in the vile would be able to pass through the door and eventually his own when he died, but that couldn't be it. There had to be something else. As he sat puzzling it suddenly hit him. If the vial spoke before maybe it could again. He plucked it from his pocket and waited for the face to appear.

"Can you hear me?" he asked it feeling like he was wasting his time.

"Yes, but can only talk so much per day" It said weakly.

"Then I'll keep this short. I think this riddle is saying that only you can get me through that door. Do you know if that's possible?" he asked.

"Yes, but only for a short time." It said blinking slowly and sounding as though it were a far off whisper.

"What does that mean? Can you do it or can't you?" He asked impatiently.

The face faded away looking apologetic. Nick had to take a risk. The only option was to either wait until it could talk again or try freeing it. At least then maybe he could escape with it. And worst case at least one of them could leave. He tried opening the cork in the top but it seemed to be stuck. He pulled and pulled and even tried using his claws to rip it out, but it wouldn't budge.

"Only one other choice." He said looking at the concrete wall before him. He threw the vial at it with all his might. It shattered, and Nick felt a moment of triumph until he felt liquid splash him. He looked down and saw he was covered in whatever was in the vial. He began to panic before his head became fuzzy and dizzy. He fell back and passed out before his head made contact with the ground.

Shu woke up and looked around his tent. Just another boring day in the camp he thought as he began to pull on his tunic. He headed out of his tent to search for his father. They had been camped here for many a moon and was hoping that maybe his father would allow him to go exploring. The dog walked through camp slowly searching for anyone who may know where his father was. He turned a corner and ran headfirst into Lilly.

"Hello there" He said as he looked up from the ground.

"Sorry Shu, I wasn't watching where I was going. Just in too much of a hurry. I gotta run to a nearby castle with a peace offering. Your father is hoping they will allow us to set up a permanent village here." She said as she stood and helped him up.

"Any chance you still need an escort?" He asked halfheartedly.

"Actually I do. The one he said for me to take along is sick. I have to get the offering ready, why don't you run and ask your dad if you may accompany me?" She yelled as she ran in the direction of the storage wagons.

He ran in the direction she had come from hoping this may finally be his chance. He saw his father strolling through camp with his advisers beside him informing him of the goings on.

"Father!" He yelled hoping he would stop.

The aging golden retriever stopped and turned at the sound of his son's voice. "Shu where are you headed in such a hurry?" He asked with a slight smile gracing his lips.

"Father I wanted to ask if I may accompany Lilly to the castle. The old wolf you asked to travel with her is sick and cannot go." He said as he stood in front of his father trying to catch his breath.

"Sir, he speaks the truth," The small black ferret next to him said in a deep voice, "I just arrived from his tent. He fears this may be his final few days. He has come down with the same illness that claimed his father last month." He said sadly.

The canine thought for a moment with his paw under his muzzle, "Is there no one else we could send?" He asked looking around at his advisers.

"The soldiers are all keeping a perimeter sir, If they were to break ranks in order to send one with her it could leave us with a large gap in the safety area, sir." A small tan fennec fox replied.

" The Men from last night's watch are all sleeping in preparation for the night's patrol sir. I fear waking them would leave the same result as master Finnick's worry." A tall white wolf with a black spot at the top of his head said in his deep voice.

"And the rest of the men who I may suggest accompany her are trying to erect more tents so that we all have a comfortable amount of space." said the ferret in his high voice.

He turned to his son and looked stoic for a moment, "son I will allow it because I need to learn the ways of making peace. Someday you may be taking over for me, and I want you to be prepared to lead the people. I want you to go to the blacksmith wagon and have him give you some weapons to carry with you. It will be your job to protect your future bride." He said placing a paw on his son's shoulder.

"Yes father," Shu replied rolling his eyes at the bride bit, "Thank you for allowing me this opportunity" He placed his right paw across his chest in salute and left for the blacksmiths wagon. Upon arriving, he found that the smith was already prepared for him.

"Your father knew you would be going. He just wanted you to take an initiative." The smith said as he finished sharpening a blade. Without turning from his work he gestured to a table sitting next to his tent, "choose the weapons you are most comfortable with and I shall assist you in attaching them. You will need a weapon for range, One or two for close combat, and at least one blade for paw to paw." he chose another blade that needed sharpening and began as he waited.

Shu walked to the table and looked at his options. there were many to choose from. A few bows and two handed swords, rapiers, and many knives and stars for throwing. He chose a bow that was thin but looked very powerful and the quiver of arrows that went with it. Then looking to the swords he decided a pair of rapiers were more what he preferred in his training so he would stick with them. On moving to the daggers and stars however he was unsure. He had done very little with either but was a good mark if he needed to throw them. He also figured if they were stuck in the woods for a period of time the dagger may be more useful. In the end he chose a curved dagger with a metal dragon decorated sheath and a belt of throwing stars for good measure.

The smith walked up looking over his choices. "good instincts boy. The bow will let you hunt if needed as well as shoot from the trees for protection." He strapped the quiver to his back and attached the bow to it, "you may not have noticed there is a dagger concealed in the base of the quiver should you need it. Now your rapiers, Those are good for quick and precise attacks as well as deflecting oncoming attacks, just remember your range will be closer than a cross-guard.' He attached them to his back so that the sheath formed an x with the quiver. "Your bow on your left and the swords to your right. Got it?" he asked.

"Yes sir." Shu said still facing forward but reaching up to fiddle with each and get a feel for their location.

"Now your paw to paw weapons. I see you chose two. good to be prepared boy, and both can be concealed for extra surprise should you need it." He took the dagger and fitted it inside his tunic attached high on his left leg and put the belt around his waist so that his tunic covered it as well. "This way if they disarm you at the castle you still have a couple for emergencies." he said as he stood.

They saluted each other just as Shu had his father before he headed to the entrance to camp to wait on Lilly. She approached pulling a light wagon laden with fabrics and spices.

She looked him over and together they headed off to the north where they could see the top of the castle above the trees.

The two walked in silence for a time. Neither wanting to break it, they chose instead to look at the trees and plants growing around them. Shu kept an eye out for any trouble as he walked behind the cart and pushed.

Finally deciding to break the silence Lilly spoke "You seem to have developed into a fine warrior. I've never seen you fully ready for battle as you are now."

Looking up at her back he thought for a moment before replying, "I have to be ready for battle if I wish to be a good provider for my people. A leader who cowers in his camp with the women and children while the warriors fight cannot truly call himself a leader." He continued scanning the forest as he spoke never breaking pace.

She glanced back at him, "I noticed there was no mention of a wife in that explanation."

He looked at the ground and did not speak.

"Not to worry, I already know you do not desire me. Our fathers set up our marriage long ago. I may be willing to go through with it for the good of the people, but I hold no illusion that either of us feel love for the other." she said as she continued forward. "I would prefer to marry someone I love, but I'll settle for one whom I can call a friend." she said smiling back at him.

He stopped in his tracks for a moment before running to catch up. "You honestly would be ok if we weren't married?" He asked looking her in the eyes as she too paused for a breather.

"I would prefer to marry someone I love as I said, however, I understand that in order for you to lead you must have someone to guide you in the larger decisions. Therefore I would gladly marry my friend if it is for the good of him and our people." she never broke eye contact as she said this and relaxed on the cart.

He decided to open a pack on the wagon and pull out their lunch as he thought. "And what would happen if I found someone else I wanted to marry?" He asked after a long pause.

She accepted the food he offered her and thought for a moment. "Then I would be honored to be a good friend of the leader of our village." she said smiling at him before taking a bite.

He smiled at her and nodded giving his silent thanks. They ate in silence as they shared what they had brought. He stood after he ate and they proceeded down the path. Soon they arrived at the castle gate, and he walked to be between her and the door.

"Halt!" a multi colored husky yelled from the top of a tower on one side of the gate. "Announce your identity and intent or we shall open fire." He yelled as many archers stepped forth on the wall and took aim. Shu withdrew his rapiers and held them ready to deflect as many arrows as he could, but Lilly stepped up beside him and placed a hand gently on his shoulder.

"My name is Lilly, and this is my escort Shu. We are from the camp a few hours up the road. We come bringing gifts and request an audience with the leader of the castle." she spoke loudly and clearly keeping her hands spread palms up to display submittance.

"We will send a guard to inspect your shipment, and if he allows you to pass you may enter. Your escort will need to sheath his weapon and relinquish his bow however. We do not allow ranged weapons to enter the kings chambers." He said as the gate was opened enough for a guard, a large black wolf, to exit.

Lilly nodded, but Shu told the guard he would keep his rapiers out until he ensured the courtyard was not an ambush. The guard agreed and asked him to relinquish his bow. He handed it over hesitantly and the guard carried it as he walked behind them into the gates. Only after he saw the courtyard filled with commoners did he sheath his weapons.

"I will take your bow to our armory until it is time for you to depart. You have my word it will not be damaged." The wolf said as he offered his hand to Shu.

Shu took it as he locked eyes with the wolf. "you seem to be one of your word, so I will accept it." they parted and he walked away as the pair were led into the castle doors.

A red fox stood at the door and announced their arrival. "A miss Lilly and sir Shu to speak with you and present gifts sire."

They were bid to enter and the meeting began. A few hours later they exited the king's chamber with the promise of him and his royal guard escorting them back to their camp the next morning to meet with his father. They would be given lodging and were free to roam the grounds as they wished.

"Would you mind if I had a walk in the forest surrounding your castle?" Shu asked one of the guards.

"Of course. Just tell them at the gate and they will allow you to leave. Upon your return just announce yourself and they will open the gate." he said.

He approached the gates and the wolf who took his bow walked to greet him. "Are you going to walk or hunt?"

"Just going to walk. Though I would like my bow back for better protection." he replied

The wolf let him to the gate and pulled his bow from a door nearby. "I know I said I would keep this in the armory, but after inspecting the quality I decided to keep it within my sight." he handed the bow to Shu, "I must ask while you're out upon our lands that you do not hunt living flesh. We will not argue if its self defense or a warning but we have promised the clans that live nearby that we are peaceful and do not eat the flesh of other mammals."

"I can agree to that as I prefer that life myself," Shu said grinning as he left the gates.

Shu explored the walls of the castle for a bit intending to just walk the perimeter when he came upon a cliff. The golden furred mammal admired the ocean view and marveled at the strategic placement of the walls. This eliminates one route of a possible ambush attacks. He was headed back when he found tracks leading from the wall to the forest and decided to follow it. His sharp ears were hearing noises from ahead and he decided he would take to the trees. He was going tree to tree staying to the lower branches when he found what appeared to be a pure white vixen attempting to light a fire, though she seemed to be having difficulty. Shu noticed one of the things she was trying to light looked to be a plant that would cause a bit of a large explosion should it light and possible harm her.

Taking careful aim he loosed an arrow and was able to knock the spark rock from her hand without hurting her. She quickly jumped back and grabbed a blade she had hidden under her blouse. "Who's attacking me?" she shouted.

"I did not wish to attack," he spoke loudly enough for her to hear him but not for her to find his actual hiding place, "That plant you were about to light could have harmed you and I chose to prevent that." He watched her carefully searching her for a reaction.

She glanced back at what she was doing and then returned her eyes to the forest. "If you wanted to prevent harm than using an arrow was a bit much." She said.

"True but if I had approached I would likely have been skewered by that blade I hadn't seen until you drew it." He paused for a moment and made a decision. "If you will lower that and not attack I will drop my bow and show myself." he called.

She pondered this for a moment before lowering it and waiting. He did as promised by first dropping from his tree and setting the bow down before approaching her palms up. "May I ask why you have left the castle?" he asked approaching with caution.

"I hate it there and so I have decided to leave." she said turning away from him. "My father intends me to marry a filthy paladin that I will not see join my family line. He is filthy with greed." She said as tears began to fall.

Shu gently touched her shoulder in understanding. He cleared out the fire pit she had made and went to gather some wood and kindling. He had a fire going in no time and sat across from her. They were talking into the night learning about one another. After a while she decided to accompany him back to the castle and stay so long as he promised to visit her in this clearing as often as he could. He agreed.

"I've only just realized I had never got your name." He said embarrassed that he could talk for hours to a stranger and never exchange names. "My name is Shu"

"I am Oma. And when we return I will be locked back in my room. For I am the princess. But I learned a long time ago how to get around my fathers attempted protection." she said smiling at him.

Nick woke slowly rubbing his head. "What was that?" he asked noone in particular.

That my friend is my most fond memory

He jumped quickly looking around. Seeing nobody he asked aloud "Who's there"

My name is Shu. and until just a few moments ago you carried me in a vial. You were correct that the riddle meant I had to be let out, but It also means I have to share your body with you until we escape. What you saw in the mist was true. And now I can speak to you all I wish.

"Well you don't see this every day." NIck said. He then began to wonder how freeing a spirit and it inhabiting his body would get him from this room.

Good question. Shu responded. in my life I was able to study a bit of magic. In doing so I was able to learn to pass solid objects through walls. I am very limited but this stretch of tunnel was created as an escape to the paladins garden. Only a magically talented person could pass into it this way. All others would die eventually by the paladins own hand.

With that said Shu took control of Nick's body for a moment and stepped to the wall. "I request a pardon for taking over, but it is the only way to get you free of this room." He spoke aloud in Nick's voice. He made a symbol on the wall and stepped through.

0