chapter 20
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20

Nick walked out into what he would describe as a slice of paradise. Everywhere he turned his head it was a beautiful sight. He saw fresh green grass and many different varieties of flowers. There was the sound of rushing water, and it sounded like perhaps a waterfall in the distance. It looked like he was in underground cavern with a domed ceiling. Everything seemed to slope up toward the center of the room. This is amazing Shu said in his head. " I couldn't agree more" nick said aloud.

They headed toward the center wanting to look at the room as a whole and perhaps find the mammals they were looking for. He glanced back at the wall and marveled at the fact they had somehow walked through solid rock. I studied to be a paladin for a very short time after I met Oma. I didn't learn a lot but the very basic spells such as walking through walls and levitation came simple to me.

"It is very confusing to have someone else in my head, but it sounds like you may be helpful in keeping Judy safe." Nick said aloud.

I could go quiet if you like... I don't want to upset you or scare you. I would much rather have my own body, but to make you most comfortable I used some of my powers to stop the transformation. For some reason when I merged with you your body was trying to change into my shape. I could feel it and stopped it for you. Just in case we are stuck together forever I didn't want you to have to adapt to a new shape as well as having a new voice in your head.

"I appreciate that, but you don't need to go silent. It's actually comforting to have someone to talk with and maybe you will have insight where I have none." Nick mused aloud. Whether the spirit could read his mind or not he felt more comfortable speaking aloud.

I agree it is nice to have someone to converse with after all this time. I'm not sure exactly how much time has passed because when I was trapped here we were still young as a civilization and did not count our years as you do now, but from what I can see in your mind it has been a great many years. Shu said in a somewhat downtrodden tone.

"If that dream or memory was anything to go by, I'd say it's been a few hundred years. This castle has been abandoned for a long time." Nick said. trying to be a little sympathetic he added "Sorry about that, but feel free to explore my memories. It will be the chance of a lifetime to get a glimpse of what mammal kind has become." He said smirking.

They reached the top of the hill and gazed around slowly searching for any signs of movement or anything that stood out of place. As they searched, they were oblivious to the pedestal sliding silently from the ground behind them. Nick felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise and spun quickly. Mid spin Shu took control and assumed a fighting stance ready to attack or defend. They froze and after seeing no danger relaxed and Shu relinquished control once more.

My apologies again. In my time as you saw I was a worrier, so I know how to fight. One of the first things I looked for in your mind was battle skills, so I assumed you would not mind me doing the defending if need be.

"Believe me I don't mind at all" Nick said aloud. "As you can see, I have very little fighting skills so by all means keep us alive ha-ha" Nick joked as he approached the pedestal. He saw a tablet and moved around so he could read it with his counterpart.

Congratulations traveler for you have solved the labyrinth. However, there is a spell upon the exit. For you to be freed you and your love must share in true loves kiss. If you have made it this far without them then your reward is to live your days here in 'paradise falls' I congratulate you once more and wish you a long and happy life here in my garden as I'm sure you will never escape - Damien (the Paladin of the land)

Panicking slightly Nick looked for any exit in the walls. His heart began to speed up as he realized there was truly no way out. They were trapped. "This can't be happening!" Nick said his voice raised as he began to hyperventilate. "I have to find Judy! I have to get out of here and help her!" He put his paws on his head and his claws dug in a bit.

Nick, calm down and listen to me. Judy must get here if she isn't here already. It looks like no matter where you go the end is here. You and she will be reunited soon enough. Now breath deep and close your eyes. Focus on the here and now. Focus on the smell of the flowers. Hear the breeze flow through the grass. Center yourself. I don't want to take control but if you black out, I will have to. Shu spoke urgently, but gently trying to sooth his new friend.

Nicks breathing slowed as he obeyed the strange spirit. After a few moments he opened his eyes. "Thank you…. I'm sorry I lost myself for a moment." He cleared his mind and focused on what was around him. At first, he found nothing out of the ordinary until he noticed something that seemed like an out of place patch of snow on the ground. Tilting his head curiously he began moving toward it to investigate.

Judy looked around and decided she would go for a swim. Looking down she noticed her cloths, which were a little tight to begin with, were shredded from the size change she went through. At this point the jeans were so ripped they didn't cover much. And the shirt was practically a pile of rags. She decided to get out of the useless garments and go for a swim. Stripping down she placed her cloths to the side and slowly waded into the water.

The water is refreshing, but what are we going to do after this? Oma asked quietly.

For a moment nothing was said as Judy floated peacefully through the water. "Well for the moment there seems to be nothing to do, and I've been running on fumes for a while, so I'm going to enjoy this swim for a moment and catch up on sleep. After that we will take a closer look at the tablet and the walls and see if we can figure anything else out. Does that sound ok?" Judy asked drowsily trying to stay awake a bit longer.

I can understand that. If you pass out, I'll take over long enough to get us on the ground, so we don't drown.

"Sounds good" Judy said as she drifted along. Soon after she dipped her head and wiped the water from her face. As she headed for the shore she passed out and went under. Oma acted quickly and brought them to the surface.

"That didn't take long" Oma said for the first time. "you really were exhausted. Get some rest my friend. Ill join you in slumber shortly." She swam slowly for the shore. She walked out slowly and after deciding the clothes were useless at least for now she curled in on herself and formed a furry snowball on the ground before falling into a peaceful slumber.

After an unknown amount of time Judy slowly stirred. She could hear footsteps and what sounded like someone talking to themselves. She peaked her eyes open and tried to look around without alerting whoever was there to the fact she had awakened.

"We don't know who this is without seeing the face of the mammal. And besides that, they are naked. I don't know about you but if it is your lover, I don't know that I want to see them naked." Said a familiar voice.

Judy suddenly bolted up her sleep addled mind forgetting where she was and what was going on. She jumped at nick shouting his name as she wrapped as much of herself as she could around the red vulpine. Nick froze as this creature hugged him. Judy saw a white tail flicking in happiness as it was wrapped around the vulpine and after a moment all the memories came flooding back. Jumping back quickly and blushing deeply she looked into Nicks eyes and waited for him to talk.

Nick averted his eyes after a moment and coughed embarrassedly. "I'm not sure who you are, but your naked. Here" he said taking off his shirt and passing it to her so she could cover up.

Her blush deepened as his words sank in and she quickly put the shirt on, thankful that it was long enough to cover her more intimate privacy. "Thank you, Nick," she said after a moment.

Tilting his head, he looked her up and down, "Have we met? You have called me by name twice, but I don't recall meeting you." He said getting more confused by the moment.

Looking down at herself she had to remember he wouldn't recognize her. "Nick, it's me Judy" she said looking him in the eyes.

Nick seemed skeptical for a few moments as he stared at her before smirking and saying "ya and I'm the tooth fairy. Sorry but I know my Judy. She is a beautiful storm cloud colored rabbit with coal tipped ears and the most amazing and deep beautiful violet eyes you could ever find. Not an albino fox." He said. Suddenly something changed. His entire stature changed. He stood taller and seemed to be larger without growing a bit. "Is that you Oma?" He said his voice a slight quiver.

"how do you know Oma?" Judy said eyes widening.

"Oma was my love. My name is Shu, and I'm currently sharing this body with the one you call Nick." He said in awe. Is my love in there anywhere?"

In the back of her mind Judy heard oma awaken Tell him I'm hear. But I will not just take control as he has. She spoke softly as though afraid to believe what she heard.

"she is here." Judy said tapping the side of her head. "She said she won't just take control as you have. She prefers to not control me." Judy said. "I would like to have my Nick back please."

He tilted his head for a moment before uttering "my apologies. I keep doing this." His demeaner shifted once more before nick spoke. "Judy? Is it really you?" He asked pleadingly. "What happened? How are you a fox?" He asked getting slightly panicky again.

"Relax nick" Judy said taking a step forward and putting her paw on his chest. "I can explain everything if you will sit with me. Then we can figure out how to get out of here." They sat together at the water's edge and told each other about their separate journeys. After they were done there was a long and drawn out pause where they sat staring at the water processing everything they had learned.

Judy was the first to speak. "Oma and I have been thinking about what the tablet says. We believe that if we stand in front of it and they kiss we will be free of this place." She paused looking away before continuing. "Then they will leave this world and we can return to the way we were. But I have given it some thought, and I want you to think about something as well." She said and fell silent biting her lip.

Nick watched her curiously and nodded to show he was listening. "When we go back, we will have to worry about the stares and the judgement of being not just inters or even just pred prey, but with the prejudice and hate directed toward those who used to be mortal enemies. If we wait for a day and then escape, then we stay as we are, and they stay with us. We could be a normal fox couple…. No size compatibility issues, and no awkward moments because of our species… If that would be what you want." She said all this staring him in the eyes making sure he understood what she was saying.

Nick thought for a moment and then took her paw. He looked deep into her eyes and signed. "Judy, I have never cared what your species was. I have only ever wanted your love. I don't want you to change in any way and especially not to please me. I want us to be together. The rest of the world be damned. I am yours heart and soul. Nobody can change that. Even some paladin who tried to curse us all." He let his words sink in as she tried to prevent the happy tears from leaving her eyes. "Now how bout we get out of this place. I want to cuddle in my tent with my beautiful stormy bunny." He said with a smirk.

Judy wiped her eyes and they headed to the tablet. As they approached, they stepped back consciously and allowed the spirits to control their movements.

As they approached the pedestal however they noticed the tablet was missing. "What's going on!?" Shu shouted.

"Did you really think it would be that easy for you?" Came a deep voice from somewhere to their right. What was on the tablet it true, True loves kiss will free you from this place, however in order to give your love a kiss you must defeat me in battle!" He shouted. From beneath a tree stepped a large husky with glowing blue eyes. "I knew you would get here someday, so I left a piece of myself behind to fight. Now you will all die here!" He shouted drawing a large jet-black blade from a sheath on his back.

Shu stepped forward putting himself in front of Oma and began muttering the words of a spell. After a few paw gestures he planted his palm into the earth and upon drawing back dragged a long silver sword. "A little trick I learned from your master before you killed him!" He shouted triumphantly. If you want to kill us, it will be a true fight! Anything goes! Magic and weapons! Make your move Jake!" He spun the blade over his head and took a fighting stance, prepared to fight to the death for his love and his new friends. He would win their freedom if it cost him his life.

0