Chapter 3: Life of a Human
138 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the editor in front of me finishes reading my manuscript for the third time, he sighs and drops it on the table. The title “Reborn in a boring world” can be seen on the first page. He sips a bit of his already lukewarm coffee and finally sets his gaze on the only other person in the room: me. He keeps staring at me as if trying to decide how to deal with me, and finally speaks.

 

“I know that on the phone you told me it would be a bit unconventional, but this is too much. It seems more like a slice of life rather than an isekai. The publishing company won’t approve this.”

“Can’t you do something about it? Just call it a deconstruction of the genre or something.”

“You can’t get away with anything just by saying it is a deconstruction of the genre… It was looking interesting until he was reborn in Earth. This mosquito nonsense is no good either. Why don’t you just write about his hero days? You just need to change a few things and it could easily pass as an isekai.”

 

I smile. I look around the small office. A lot of papers, probably manuscripts, can be seen all over the place. An old computer and a coffee machine. Many illustrations on the walls of current popular light novel titles. Very similar to the other 2 offices I recently visited. Will this be the third rejection?

 

“Sorry but I don’t want to change it. I want to be as truthful as possible.”

“Truthful? What are you talking about? All this is fantasy.”

“Well you see, it's not fantasy. It's the description of my life.”

“Are you saying that you are the protagonist of the story?”

“Indeed, that was what happened 8 years ago.”

 

The man starts laughing.

“I can’t fathom if you are joking with me or you have a serious issue of 8th grade syndrome. In any case, the story as it is right now is no good. Satisfy my curiosity though, how did a great hero like you end up here trying to get a light novel published? Assuming all this is true as you say of course.”

 

He smiles as he says it, clearly not believing for a second that could be true. Yet I answer his question.

“Well, I was planning to write about that on the next volumes. But it took me several months to adapt to this new world. I wanted to fight evil but it turned out that monsters didn’t exist, found out people didn’t use armor. Noticed many people used clothes with the name of the company that made them on it. One day saw people with weapons and shield and went to this company that made them called police. Eventually found out about my mistake and tried to join the police to fulfill my hero duty. Couldn’t even pass the written exam.”

 

“I still remember the first time I learned about cell phones. I was really excited, because I they were very similar to phoniums, but they were even better because it didn’t require the users to use magic. I thought that this world had devised a way to store magic in objects for later use, so I was certain that electricity was magic and batteries were the magic storage devices. I asked where could I meet someone expert on batteries and I when I met him I got taken out from the building by security guards for demanding an answer on what other magic spells did he know about.”

 

The man looks at the clock hanging on the wall to check the hour. Or maybe to check the cute anime girl picture inside it.

“Well, still have a bit of time till the next writer comes. So did you keep being a hero on this world? Or did you become a writer?”

 

“Well, not quite. Looking back, I did a lot of embarrassing things. Fortunately one of those things where precisely what got me a job. I was trying to act as a hero and everyone thought me crazy, but one of them approached me and offered me to take part in a play as the hero. I refused at first but he gave me his contact and many days later, when I understood no one would freely give me food for being a hero anymore and that I would need to work for it, I called and accepted. Have been working at theaters since then, and eventually married a nice girl that often came to my plays.”

 

“So I guess you ended up regretting not choosing the customized world and coming instead to our shitty and boring world.”

“I did have those thoughts at first, but not anymore. I already worked as a real hero for a long time. I have now learned the hardships of a common life, and my new goal is achieving the happiness of my family. Those are the important people I must save. If only I had realized that sooner, I could have spent more time with the other girls in the other world instead of always being busy helping people. Now I just want my kids to be happy and thought that maybe my story can inspire others.”

 

“Well, can’t say I believe you but that was an interesting story. Still, can’t pass it as an isekai so there is no way the company will agree to publish it. I’m afraid you will have to look somewhere else.”

 

“I see, thanks for your time.” I stand up and head to the door. Another company, another rejection. Everything is the same. However, just as I was about to leave, something new happens. The man stops me.

 

“Oh wait. Just remembered about this website where people publish their stories. If you can’t find a company willing to publish it, guess you might want to try there. Won’t be the same but its better than nothing, and doesn’t seem you are doing it for the money either.”

 

“A website? I see, hadn’t thought of that. What is the name?”

 

“It is called Scribble Hub”

3