Chapter Seven
94 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"When you finish with those, you can start on these," Servilia said, tapping a large, rusted chest with her left foot. "Polish the chest too, while you are at it."

"Oh come on Servilia, I've been at this for almost three days now!” Romeo dropped the rag and wiped a hand across his forehead dramatically. "No one even uses these weapons anymore, why bother cleaning them? We'd be better off selling them for scrap."

"Because the Mistress ordered it," Servilia said as she exited the storeroom. "The less you talk, the faster you can work."

"Less you talk the faster you can mehmehmehmehmemeh." Romeo muttered under his breath, making a face as Servilia left and Lexi walked in. "Here to help?" he said sarcastically before wilting as Lexi glared at him until he picked up his rag. He began to work on cleaning the battle-axe, though it was a halfhearted effort.

Lexi sat down across from him and placed a large sword on the table, the black blade shimmering curiously. Romeo stopped his work for a moment and stared at the blade, watching the metal ripple as though it were made of water. He looked up as Lexi pulled out her own cloth and began to vigorously clean the weapon, starting at the pommel and slowly working her way up. He ran a hand through his hair nervously.

"Something bothering you Lexi? Dating trouble?"

She didn't answer, but her movements stopped for a moment, before she continued to fret over her weapon. Romeo sighed knowingly, put the axe down and leaned on the table. "Come on, tell Romeo your love problems. I can help you bag that man in no time. Matters of the heart are my specialty. Ring on your finger by the end of the year, guaranteed!"

Lexi didn't answer for a few seconds before she finally put her cloth down and looked up at Romeo, her dark eyes narrowing. The scarf around her face fluttered as she took in a deep breath. Romeo fought the sudden urge to retreat to a safer distance, his eyes glancing down at her sword.

"No I do not have dating issues, Romeo. You see… I'm quite bothered by the fact that the members of my team have been conducting themselves shamefully." Lexi spoke evenly. "You, Banksy, and Cross have shown absolutely no regard for rules or regulations on your last few jobs, and I find the behavior disgraceful. It reflects badly on yourselves and on the guild."

"Look, the mansion burning down wasn't my fault. If anything we should blame that one on Banksy," Romeo said. "Also, the only reason I blew up the train car was to help Cross out. Really, none of it was my fault. Also, we aren't your team and you aren't a team leader."

"You blew up the train? Your report said the Followers did that" Lexi's hand moved to grip the hilt of her sword.

"A car! Not the whole train!" Romeo said quickly, holding his hands up. "Besides, Cross was the one that started it all. Why aren't you biting his head off?"

"Because Cross took a job and left late last night."

"I thought Cross was still barred from jobs?" Romeo said.

"He is." Lexi went silent as she lifted her blade up, letting it catch the light. After a moment she sighed and slid the sword into its sheathe before gently placing it onto the chair beside her. She looked over at Romeo before reaching over and picking up one of the many weapons he still had left to clean. Without a word she began to work.

xXx

Cross fought the urge to fall asleep as he watched the plains pass by through the trains window. The sun was just beginning to peek over the horizon. Shaking his head he took a moment to glance over the crowded passenger car. There was a comforting assortment of men, women, and children that gave him confidence this train ride wouldn't include being beaten or stabbed. He shifted in his seat. The wound on his side burned, but the pain was minimal. Galen had done a good job, as always. Really, he had only needed a day of bed rest, but Galen… and others… had insisted.

Cross rolled his eyes and let his forehead rest against the cool window. To his credit he had chosen an extremely easy job, no ripping required, only couriering. He just had to deliver a message from point A to point B. There hadn’t even been a strict time limit on the request, but he had managed to get it done within a few hours. The day had barely begun and he was already on his way back home.

It took a few hours but eventually the desire for sleep overtook his paranoid vigilance and he closed his eyes, only to immediately flick them back open as a loud thump rocked the entire train. The other passengers tittered nervously before quickly settling back down, the moment was quickly forgotten. Cross however felt a very suggestive tug go through his mind, pulling his eyes out the window. Sitting up straighter he peered into the still dark plains.

There was something out there, not too far from the train tracks. His stomach dropped as he realized what it was.

A body.

He glanced around the car, but no one seemed to have noticed. He reached up and rubbed his temple, contemplating what he should do when a sharp pain drilled through his head. He hissed in response only to have the pain intensify until he stood up.

“I’m going,” he muttered softly.

The pain relented, but did not fully fade away, as he slipped through the car and exited through the vestibule. The wind whipped at his clothes as he stood in the space between the train cars. The pain in his head began to build as he stared at the quickly moving ground. Shaking his head repeatedly he started to turn back around when something pressed between his shoulders and gave him a firm push.

A variety of colorful curse escaped his lips as he was thrown from the train. Tucking into a roll he slammed against the ground and continued rolling for a considerable distance before coming to a stop face down against the grass.

His breath came in short, painful gasps as he tried and failed to push himself up. Rubbing his throbbing head against the ground he forced himself onto his knees. When he finally got his breathing under control he gently felt his side.

The dressings that Galen had put into place didn’t look like they had been mused too badly. The pain was definitely there, but it was manageable.

Cursing loudly, he worked his way to his feet and turned back towards where he had seen the body.

The train hadn’t carried him too far and it took him only a few minutes of searching. A frown tugged at his lips as he came to a stop above the body.

She was slight. A teenager, by the looks of it, maybe a bit on the younger side. Deathly pale, with long hair that shone silver in the low light.

Dropping down to one knee he reached over, slightly hesitant, before pressing his fingers to her neck. Her skin was cold to the touch. He felt nothing. Closing his eyes, he shifted his fingers ever so slightly, searching, until finally after a few more unnerving moments he felt a gentle pulse.

Cross let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’s been holding in and let his shoulders slump down. Leaning back, he glanced around but didn't see any signs of life, not that he expected to.

This entire area was deserted in every direction for miles. The nearest town was more than a days walk away, and even that was nothing more than a small village that had cut a deal with the train company a few years back.

He shook his head and leaned towards the girl again. He gave her a gentle shake, but she did not stir. She wasn’t just cold, she was frigid, as though there was ice in her veins. He shook her harder and called out a few times, but still he received nothing. Frowning, he shuffled himself slightly closer and leaned over her. Lifting a hand he gave her a not so gentle whap on the face.

Her eyes opened. They were bright and blue as the sky.

Also angry.

Very angry.

"You!" She hissed as she sat up, baring her teeth and smacking his hand away. "You would dare to touch a Goddess with your filthy mortal hands? I will have your hands cut off and fed to the dogs for such insolence!"

"Right, then." Cross sighed and he sat back on his haunches. He rubbed roughly at his temple. "This was worth falling off a train for. Thanks for that."

2