Chapter Eleven
86 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wooden blade of the practice sword struck Cross on the head just as he stepped into the room. He staggered backwards, clutching his forehead and cursing loudly. Lexi stared at him unimpressed.

Cross opened his eyes and stared at the entry way to the training room.

"Well, that's not really a surprise," he said to himself before entering the room. He instantly lurched the side and brought up his arms to protect his head. The wooden blade of the practice sword slammed into his stomach before Lexi grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and threw him across the room. Twisting his body around, Cross managed to make a desperate grab at the floor, slowing his momentum. Swinging down his legs he landed knees first on the padded floor before rolling to the side as the training sword was flung at him.

Lexi was on him in a heartbeat. He caught her kick with both hands. Tremors ran up his arms and he was sent sliding back. Pushing back hard, he managed to stumble Lexi a step. Recovering, she lashed out with another kick, but Cross ducked under her leg and rolled to the side. Lexi tracked him, jumping over his leg as he tried to sweep out her feet. Stepping back she waited for him to get back to his feet, bouncing on the balls of her feet and shaking her arms out in preparation.

"Right, then,” Cross sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Let's get this over with."

Lexi lunged at him, ducking under his punch and driving her small fist into his side. Swiping his arm down, Cross just missed her as she spun behind him and slammed her elbow into his back. Hissing, Cross stumbled forward and spun around. He blocked her next flurry of strikes with moderate success before she leveled a kick to the side of his leg. Wincing, Cross faltered and Lexi pounced on the opportunity. Jumping forward she slammed her knee into his chest, sending Cross flying back with a curse. Landing hard on his back, he pushed himself back onto his knees as Lexi once again moved to close the distance between them.

Lifting up his arms Cross began to flick his ring fingers to fire out a flashbang, but Lexi was too quick. Reaching out she grabbed onto both his wrists and wrenched him up. Eyes wide, Cross was pulled off his feet as Lexi dove onto her back, still holding onto him. Her feet abruptly jammed into his stomach and she easily held him up off the ground, using his arms to keep him balanced in place.

Cross scowled at her as she held him in the uncomfortable position for longer than necessary.

"Your injuries seem to have healed," Lexi said, tilting her head slightly.

"Galen did a good job." Cross gasped out, Lexi's feet pressing all the air from his lungs.

"Good," she said before kicking off with both feet and launching him high into the air. Unable to control his descent Cross came crashing back down to the blessedly padded floor. Letting out a pathetic moan he decided against trying to get back up, instead choosing to twist his body around until he was staring up at Lexi. She sat down a few steps away from him, crossing her legs and resting her hands on her knees.

"I take it you are upset then," Cross said after a few minutes of silence. He sat up, wincing slightly as he did so, and copied her pose, though his was noticeably less rigid.

Lexi said something, but it was too low for Cross to hear. The edge of her scarf just barely fluttering from her words.

"Speak up Lex," Cross leaned over and tugged at one of the tassels hanging off her scarf.

"I asked you not to take any jobs until you were healed," Lexi said, lifting her head up. The scarf fell away from her face and Cross felt his stomach twist back and forth as the jagged scar that cut across her face came into view. "You told me you wouldn't."

Cross leaned back, releasing his grip on her scarf. "Ah. Right. You see-"

"You're lucky I didn't hit you harder!" Lexi snapped, her eyes flashing. "A subordinate does not disregard the orders of a leader! If it was up to me then you would-"

"But it's not up to you, Princess. You're not my team leader," Cross said as he stood up and straightened out his clothes. Lexi began to open her mouth to continue her tirade but Cross leaned down towards her and held up a hand. "Yet."

Lexi glared at him, though a faint redness spread to her cheeks. Cross gave her a small nod and turned to start walking away when his legs slipped out from under him. Landing on the padded floor yet again he rolled back into his knees and glared at Lexi, but she was still sitting where he had left her, with her hands on her knees and eyes firmly shut. Confused for a moment he glanced down and watched his shadow pool around him unnaturally.

"You're getting better at that." Cross said as he poked at the shadow. He felt a moment of odd resistance before the spell broke and the shadow dispersed. Lexi let out a gasp and slouched over, breathing coming in short bursts.

"If you would practice your Seeing abilities more often you would improve too." Lexi said, putting a hand to her forehead. "I barely had to change my plan of attack to throw you off."

"Considering there hasn't been a real mage born for almost a hundred years, training feels a bit useless." Cross said, back on his feet.

"You're wrong.” Lexi held up her hand. A small black ball, no bigger than a marble, formed in her hand. It began to slowly rotate, rising a few inches in the air. "I can feel it, just below the surface. It's there. I'll find it."

Smiling, Cross almost felt like he stepped back in time. He would watch Lexi practice for hours on end just to make her shadow bend the smallest of degrees, then cheer with her when she succeeded. He would listen to her read and talk about the Old Time late into the night until either he fell asleep or she did.

Cross knew Magic would never truly come back to this world. That door was long shut… but somehow when Lexi said it, he found it a little bit easier to believe.

"Maybe you're right." Cross extended his hand. "Come on, I'm starving and I've got a story to tell you."

Lexi shook her head. "After my the last job the Mistress has requested I spend at least twenty minutes of… reflection for every 'violent' act I commit."

"Of course she did." Cross sighed before he dropped down to the floor and closing his eyes. "Fine, I'll wait."

Lexi stared at him for a moment before pulling up her scarf and closing her eyes again, but not before a tiny smile crossed her face.

xXx

"Yo Cross! I ran out of powder again and I was wondering if… Oh." Romeo paused as he opened the door to Cross's room and found an attractive young woman sleeping soundly on his bed. Slowly stepping backwards he closed to the door. Heading across the hallway he pushed into Banksy's room. "Hey, Banksy, Cross has a girl… Op"

"Romeo!" Banksy grit out, still firmly glued to the floor.

"Right, right, I forgot." Romeo sighed, rubbing at his chin thoughtfully "Funny, it should have broken down by now. It's only mucus from the stomach lining of a bearpig mixed with some other… stuff.”

"What?"

"Huh? Oh nothing," Romeo said before snapping his fingers. "Hey, while I have you here, would you mind helping me test out one of my new sleeper bombs. It’s supposed to be odorless."

"Romeo, get me unstuck right now!"

"Yeah yeah, just do you best to stay awake, okay? And tell me if you smell anything," Romeo said, plucking a small bomb from his belt and tossing it into the room. "I'll remember to check on you this time, promise."

He closed the door, hearing Banksy's voice grow fainter and fainter until the boy finally passed out. Humming to himself, Romeo headed downstairs.

2