Chapter Twelve
76 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Young miss?" Servilia said as she softly shook Makina. "Young miss, it is time to wake up. It's not proper for one as cute as you to spend the day sleeping away."

"I shall do as I please," Makina groaned, pushing Servilia's hand away and curling into the covers. "Go away and do not disturb me."

"Oh dear, you are a feisty child aren't you?" Servilia gave a small smile before grabbing the sheets and wrenching them to the side. Makina yelped as she was tugged along and off the bed before hitting the ground with a loud thump. She looked up with watery eyes.

"That hurt! How dare you strike… Who are you?" She said, staring up at the pretty young woman above her. Servilia smiled and offered a hand. Tentatively Makina accepted it.

"My name is Servilia. I am a consultant for the guide." Servilia said. "And you are Makina?"

"Yes." Makina said, tilting her head from one side to the other as she studied Servilia's face. "You are very pretty. Much more attractive than the other mortals I have seen thus far."

Servilia let out a light laugh, bringing her hand up to her face. "You're too sweet. Now come along, I've drawn a bath for you. I'm sure you will want to get out of those rags." She threw a glance at the girl's plain white robes and leather sandals. “That won’t do at all. We'll get you some new clothes as well."

Makina nodded, following Servilia out of the room. "Where is the simpleton?"

"Do you mean Cross?" Servilia asked, opening a door to a large room and ushering Makina in. "He's likely dealing with Alexis right now." Noting the questioning look from Makina, Servilia waved her hand. "It's quite a long story."

"I can't believe he left me unguarded. I shall have him punished for such impudence." Makina mumbled, coming to a stop in a large bathroom. A marble tub sat on one side of the room, framed by large floral curtains. There was a heavy scent of rich perfume hanging in the air.

"I will be back with some clean clothes," Servilia said as she turned to leave. "I believe I can find something suitable for you to borrow until we can take you into town.”

With another smile she ducked out of the room, leaving Makina to undress and enter into the blissfully warm water, pulling the curtains shut behind her. After only a few minutes of soaking, her eyelids grew heavy again and she began to drift off when the door clicked open and Servilia returned.

"I hope the water wasn't too hot," Servilia said, her heels clicking against the marble floor. She placed the clothing she had brought on a countertop. "I am quite fond of taking extremely hot baths, I sometimes forget others don't share my sentiments."

"It's fine," Makina sighed more than said.

"I will leave you alone then," Servilia said.

"Wait," Makina said, sitting up and pulling back the curtain enough to peak out. "There are a few things I wish to know, and as you seem to be more intelligent than the other mortals, I believe you will be able to sufficiently answer."

"Of course," Servilia said, leaning against the counter. "But I would like to ask you one first."

"Hmmmmm. I suppose I will allow that. You have been quite generous to me. Far more so than the simpleton," Makina said, drawing another amused smile from Servilia. "What is it you wish to know, mortal?"

"Cross tells me you are a Goddess," Servilia said. "Yet your name is not one I am familiar with. I was hoping you could elaborate."

"I am a Spirit Goddess," Makina said. Her eyes fell down to the water. She traced one delicate finger through the bubbles, frowning. "I am Makina, Spirit Goddess of… Well I am simply a Spirit Goddess and that is all you mortals need to know."

"I see," Servilia said, seemingly content with the answer given. "Now, what did you wish to ask me?"

Makina looked back up. "This world. It feels… wrong."

"How so?"

"It feels empty," Makina said, frowning deeply. "Something is wrong with it. The air, it feels stagnate… Tell me, why do your trains spew such putrid smoke now?"

"Smoke? Because they run on coal," Servilia said. "They have for almost fifty years now."

"Why do they not run on magic?" Makina said.

"Any large reserves of magic that we had ran dry long ago.”

"How can that be?" Makina’s frown grew.

"No one is quite sure," Servilia said with a sigh. "Few even have vestiges of powers anymore, and the number grows smaller every year. In this guild only Cross and Alexis have the ability to use their powers at will."

"Cross can use magic?" Makina asked abruptly.

"Somewhat. He is a clairvoyant," Servilia said. "Quite possibly the last true clairvoyant, save for the Queen, but who knows if her power is real or just something the Kingdom has created."

“I do not understand.”

“Sadly, I do not either. There has not been a person capable of truly using magic born in over century. It started slow. New generation mages were found to be weaker than the previous years. Soon, almost no one could harness the power at all. Those that could have all but died out.”

"Tell me about this guild," Makina said as she sunk lower in the water, rubbing tiredly at her eyes. "This building is rather unimpressive for a guild hall."

"I suppose it is. The original hall of the Sleeping Dragon guild burned down during the riots caused by the initial power shortages, that was almost eighty years ago. The Mistress during that time decided against rebuilding it in favor of building an orphanage to house those who lost their families. The guild moved into this building a few years after that and we continue to operate in a similar manner. The guild finances the orphanage, and the orphans are given a place in the guild if they so choose once they become of age. Most choose to live a life separate from the guild. Of course they are always welcome back."

"How does the guild function?" Makina said. "Isn't it rather difficult to run a magic guild in a world lacking in magic?"

"It was at first, from what I have been told. Many guilds failed. We are one of the few guilds that are still active in anything more than name," Servilia said. "There is always work to be done, if one is willing to look. We simply began to gradually shift our clientele towards other jobs. We now provide a litany of services, some which involve magic though most don't. Our most common requests are couriering, bounty hunting, and occasionally dealing with magical objects. Oh, and of course ripping.

"Ripping?"

"Yes. It's our less…" Servilia searched for the right word. "Our less advertised service. We specialize in the recovery of objects and information. As long as the price is right and the clients are satisfactory."

"That sounds like a rather dishonest trade,” Makina said after a long pause.

"It is," Servilia replied without a trace of hesitation or shame. "But it allows us to continue funding the guild, and more importantly, the children we take care of. We do our best to vet potential clients, of course, but in the end we will always do what is necessary to protect the guild and our children."

Makina didn't speak for a long time. She lifted her hand up, watching the water droplets fall and plink back down into the tub. "This world, it is very different than I remember."

"What do you remember?" Servilia asked softly.

"I… I am not quite sure," Makina responded, her voice cracking slightly. "But I remember it being... different."

"Well, that's alright," Servilia said.

"How can this be alright?" Makina snapped. "I thought you were smarter than the rest but obviously-

"Because we will help you remember," Servilia said, cutting Makina off. Her voice was so gentle it sent a wave of shame through Makina's as she tried to come up with a rude retort "This guild, these people, we will do anything to protect our children. That includes you now."

Makina tried to respond. Tried to tell this idiot woman that she was no simple child. That she was a Spirit Goddess who needed no help. But the words that came to her mind, spoken in her most haughty and assertive tone, died in her throat leaving only a small choking noise. It took her almost a minute to finally speak. "I believe I am done with this bath. Would you bring me my towel?"

Servilia nodded. Pushing off from the counter she handed the girl a large, fluffy towel before exiting the room and waiting. After a few minutes of waiting, Makina opened the door. Servilia clapped her hands together happily as the girl came into view, clad in the dark blue dress Servilia had found.

"You're so adorable! I just knew that dress would fit you." Servilia exclaimed. "Would you like me to fix your hair before we go?"

Makina blushed at the praise. She lowered her gaze and nodded. Servilia led her back into the bathroom and sat her down in front of the mirror. As Servilia began to gently brush Makina's long hair, the younger girl mumbled something.

"I'm sorry? I didn't catch that." Servilia said.

"Why are you so nice?" Makina said softly. Her usual snappiness nowhere to be found.

"Because the moment you stepped into this guild, you came under our protection. Even if you leave, you will always be safe with us," Servilia said.

"T-thank you, mort- Thank you Miss Servilia," Makina said after a moment's hesitation.

2