Chapter Forty-One
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So just so I understand this right," Romeo said for what had to have been at least the hundredth time in the past week. Almost all the other occupants of the table groaned and Banksy's head dropped to the table in exasperation. "So we disobeyed a direct order not to leave the guild."

"Yes," Banksy sighed.

"Then we went on a rampage through Ash and burned down a building." Romeo said, ticking each point off on a finger.

"You burned down a building, yes," Banksy said before throwing a sideways glance at Cross. The dark-haired male paid him no mind as he rubbed roughly at his forehead, "And I suppose Cross too."

"Then, we broke into what pretty much constituted as a military base and completely wrecked it,"

"Romeo, you were there. We were all there We know," Banksy said, pleading Romeo to stop speaking.

It was a futile effort.

"And instead of getting punished," Romeo continued as he pointed at Lexi. She raised an eyebrow, "Little miss rule breaker gets promoted to Team Leader, and we all get off with barely a slap on the wrist?"

"Yes damnit!" Banksy roared, slamming his fist on the table. "Just like the last time you asked and the time before that and the time before that!"

"I'm just saying," Romeo held up his hands. "Just trying to make sure we are all on the same page and we all understand."

"I am not even from this mortal plane of existence and I can understand this," Makina grumbled, annoyed with Romeo's loud voice, as she read through her newest book. Reading was beginning to come easier to her. A fact that Makina, loudly and frequently, attributed to her 'divine wisdom and intelligence’ that, she assured whoever would listen, was far above that of mere mortals. The illusion was often shattered when she required help deciphering a rather long or difficult word, usually with a rather stubborn pout plastered on her face. Despite this, she spent the majority of her time with her nose shoved in a book, more often than not a recommendation from Servilia.

"Well excuse me for caring," Romeo muttered before saying in a louder voice. "But I'm just saying, so we all understand-"

"No!" Everyone at the table shouted, save Cross.

Instead, the Clairvoyant sat in silence, rubbing at his temple with a steady rhythm. Over the last few days, his near constant headaches had been upgraded to near constant migraines. In his mind, a relentless force pulled him towards the nothingness of the Void. It grew stronger every day. Some morning, he would wake in a cold sweat, physically ill from the constant nuisance. A growing part of him wanted to give in. It would take only a moment. Just a breath and he could succumb to the nothingness. It would bring him such sweet release from the torment. His eyes closed and breathing began to slow.

It would be so easy.

Just a moment….

Cross's was brought back into the present conversation as he received a sharp poke to his side. His hand stopped its constant movement and slowly dropped down to the table as he gave himself a small shake. He looked down for the source of his disturbance and found Makina's book pressed into his face, her tiny finger pointing to a single word. He blinked a few time before running his eyes over the word.

"Treacherous."

"I thought as much," Makina replied haughtily before adding as an afterthought, "Thank you, servant."

"I'm sure." Cross sighed as he fought to keep his hand from resuming its motion, his fingers beginning to drum against the table. He looked over to Lexi who was idling running a finger over her ring, listening to Banksy and Romeo argue, when she suddenly perked up. Cross followed her gaze to Servilia who was approaching their table. The ever well-dressed young woman looked extremely pleased with herself as she gave Lexi a single nod, her freshly curled hair bobbing up and down with the movement.

"I'm just saying it's weird we didn't get into any trouble, that's all!" Romeo snapped as he gave Banksy a rather obscene gesture with his hand.

"Would you like to receive a punishment, Romeo?" Servilia asked sweetly, her words quieting the two warring males as she stopped next to the table.

"Well… No?" Romeo said slowly.

"Then I suggest you let the issue go, lest the Mistress change her mind," Servilia said, a cheery smile on her face. "She was quite upset when she found out all of you had left. I am quite sure a simple reminder, such as you repeatedly questioning her judgment, would be enough to get a more than suitable punishment for your transgressions."

"Ah. Understood," Romeo said, falling down into his seat and slumping down slightly. "Sorry."

"Perfect." Servilia turned to Lexi and produced a thick file. "As per your many requests, I believe I have found a suitable outing for your team's first assignment. That is, if you want it?"

Servilia held out the file and Lexi nearly lunged for it. Just before her fingers made contact, Servilia pulled back ever so slightly. As Lexi's hand glanced off of the edge of the paper, tendrils of shadow erupted from her fingertips and promptly snatched the file from Servilia. Lexi smirked as Servilia flinched and took an unsteady step back in surprise.

"Well, I see you are quite comfortable with your powers," Servilia said, rubbing her hand. Some sort of explosion suddenly shook the guild and Servilia sighed. "If only I could say the same for the others. This much stress is bad for my skin."

Lexi didn't answer as she scanned through the document.

"So, what do we got?" Romeo asked as Lexi continued to silently read.

"What seems like a series of unfortunate events," Lexi said after a long time. She raised her dark eyes to Servilia. "What exactly is the request?"

Servilia produced a notepad and flipped through a few pages and cleared her throat. "The Verid Academy for Young Ladies has experienced, what one professor believes to be, a series of attacks against its students over the last few months, and possibly years."

"How can that be possible?" Lexi said as she pulled away from Romeo who was craning his neck to read over her shoulder.

Servilia frowned. "The details are rather sparse, unfortunately. From what I was able to discern from our client, who has asked to remain anonymous for fear the academy may terminate her employment, at least one student has been gravely injured every month for the passed six months, with each injury growing more severe. The most recent incident was last weekend, if you would please turn to the last page?"

Lexi did, her eyebrows rising as the images came into view. A young girl with her thick bandages wrapped around her wrists and a look of deep pain set into her face.

"As you can see," Servilia continued, "the girl in question was found in her room, with both of her wrists slit and a knife on the bed beside her. Thankfully, she survived, but has no recollection of the events leading up to her injury. Apparently, this is a rather common occurrence for those who experience these injures. Currently, the academy is ruling the issue as a suicide attempt brought on by extreme stress due to school and familial reasons. All the other incidents have also been classified in a similar manner."

"What makes our client believe this was an attack then?" Romeo asked, finally managing to get the file away from Lexi only to have it snatched away by Banksy. "I mean, it's weird, sure. But people have accidents."

"Our client was of the same opinion, until the attack last month. She claims she saw this marking on the students neck when she entered the room, after another student heard a scream and called for her.” Servilia dropped her binder on the table. "However, the mark faded by the time she was able to return with help."

Banksy tilted his head around to stare at the crude drawing. "A snake?"

"So it would seem," Servilia said. "A two headed snake at that. I have consulted our library, but my findings have been inconclusive. Many magical beings are known to mark their targets, and the snake seems to be a popular symbol."

"That isn't much to go on," Lexi said, staring down at the picture with furrowed brows. "We're going to need more information."

"I agree, which is why I have assigned this mission to your team. If you accept, I believe your particular makeup should be suitable for infiltrating the Academy." Servilia picked up her note pad. "I do take it, that you will be accepting? If not, I'm sure one of the other teams…"

"No, we will take it!" Lexi said, the word tumbling out of her mouth faster than she would have liked. She glared at Cross as she felt more than saw his mouth turn up into a small smile at her expense.

"I shall be going as well," Makina suddenly chimed in, closing her book with a sharp snap. The table turned to look at her.

"No," Cross said, almost immediately.

"Do not speak so insolently to your master!" Makina snapped. "Furthermore, that decision is not up to you. That right belongs to your Leader, as it were." Makina stuck out her tongue and turned towards Lexi, as did the rest of the group.

"Considering we are going to an Academy that is comprised almost exclusively of girls," Lexi said slowly after a moments thought.

"No," Cross sighed.

"It would be prudent to add another female to our team," Lexi finished as Cross shook his head and began to furiously rub at his temple.

"Perfect." Makina opened her book up and continued to read, but not until after she blew a freezing gust of wind into Cross's face, eliciting a growl from her 'servant’.

"Alright, Lexi is on board and Cross is upset so that's settled then! Let's go!" Romeo said, slapping the table.

"Romeo you're not going," Servilia said flatly.

"Oh come on, why not?" Romeo whined as Banksy let out a snort of laughter.

"Because you attempt to seduce every girl you meet."

"That's not true. I can be completely professional!"

"Romeo, you are only in this guild because you made a pass at Alexis."

"That was one time."

"Also at me."

"Also one… two times!”

"Romeo, I am not going to put you in a position of authority around impressionable, young ladies."

Romeo mulled over her words for a moment. "Define young?"

"Ages at the academy range from fourteen-"

"I would never! That’s completely disgusting," Romeo said, holding a hand to his heart. "I'm hurt that you could even think I would-"

"-to eighteen."

"Oh… but, but, but," Romeo pouted before dropping his hands on the table with a hopeless sigh. A sizzling shower of yellow spark crackled from his fingertips and danced along the table. Romeo instantly perked up and held up his hands towards the group. They reflexively shrunk back. "Ah! Go lightning! I have a power! I knew it! I knew it! Suck it Banksy!"

"Now you are especially not going," Servilia said, grabbing Romeo by the back of his collar and hauling him from the table. "By orders of the Mistress, anyone experiencing uncontrollable magical manifestations must prove acceptable levels of control before going on any jobs. Don't worry. It shouldn't take too long for you to learn, maybe a few weeks at most. I'm sure I can find you a suitable mentor somewhere."

"Mentor? Like a teacher?" Romeo's face fell as Servilia began to drag him away. "Wait, no! I don't want to go to back to school. I want to go on the mission… even though it's in a school. Lexi, tell her you need me! Cross? Someone? Come on? Guys!"

Servilia ignored him. "Alexis, please prep your team and meet me tonight for further instruction. You will be leaving at the end of the week."

1