Chapter Forty-Four
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, this is much nicer than the usual accommodations," Makina said as she curled up in her seat, a series of textbooks spread out around her.

"Mmmm." Lexi slid the door to the compartment shut and dropped into her own seat.

The train that was currently taking them to the Verid Academy was rather impressive. The train had been split into two sections, with the professors and other faculty members being seated at the front, and the students being seated in the back half. From there, the student's cars had been separated into many, smaller compartments with sliding door for privacy. Makina had been quite pleased to find the seats inside the compartment were made of a rather bouncy, plush material, and even more so that the Academy had provided refreshments for the incoming students.

"I took the time to read about this academy," Makina said as she picked up a delicate butter cookie and lifted it to her mouth. "It is known for hosting many young women from very affluent families, and not just from Voy."

"That is likely the reason that have refused to raise an alarm. It would be bad for their reputation. It's a political move."

"Understandable, if rather despicable," Makina said. She took another cookie before pulling a book into her lap and beginning to read.

"You've grown quite competent in a rather short time," Lexi commented after watching the younger girl for a time. It truly was impressive, her thirst for knowledge.

"Of course," Makina said smugly. "I am, after all, a divine being. I am able to absorb and retain knowledge much faster than mere mortals."

"Of course," Lexi said with a small smile. "Have you heard from your family since Ash?"

"In a way." Makina turned another page. "Aria sent me a message on the wind. It seems they are doing quite well."

"Oh?" Lexi shifted forward.

"They were able to free the rest of my brothers and sisters with little trouble," Makina said as she scanned down the page.

Lexi rested her chin on her hand. "You don't sound very surprised."

"Of course not. It was only by taking advantage of our gentle nature that these ‘Sons’ were able to overcome even one of us. Ra and the others, they adore the human race. The fact that you are mortal beings who live such short lives, yet you try so hard, it really is rather endearing to them."

"I'm not sure if that is a compliment or not," Lexi said, bemused. "Did Aria say what became of the Sons?"

"They have been reduced in strength. That was made sure of." Makina’s gaze darkened for a moment. "It is unlikely your guild will see a retaliation from them in the near future. Even if they wished it, with the rapid growth of magic in this land, they will have their hands full. That is, if they recover from the wrath they incurred from my family. While it has long been the policy of the Spirit Gods to remain far removed from mortal dealings… their transgression could not be ignored."

"So what will come next for them?" Lexi asked, feeling no urgent need to press into the details of the Spirit God's retribution. She had seen a fraction of Makina's power during the battle at Ash. There was little doubt in her mind the kind of destruction that a fully formed and vengeful God could inflict upon their enemies. In a twisted way, she could understand the fear the Sons had held, but she could never condone their actions.

"They have returned to Talhai. The plane of the gods. It is unlikely they will return to this plane of existence for many years. Though they harbor no ill will towards humanity, I have very little doubt they feel betrayed by the incident."

"So you will be unable to see them?"

"No…no I will not," Makina said softly. For a moment her face fell before she gave herself a small shake. "At least, not for the time being. However, time is relative for me. What is years for a human is only a blink for a being such as myself."

Lexi reached out and placed her hand on Makina's, giving the girl a gentle squeeze. "Even so, I can promise you will never be alone here. Not as long as you are a member of our guild."

Makina's hands tightened around the book before she lifted up her head and gave Lexi a small smile. "Thank you."

Lexi gave a single nod as she leaned back and situated herself into a more comfortable position. They stayed in silence for a long time, the only noise coming from the rumble of the train's engine and the soft tittering of the other passengers that filtered through the car.

"You are much prettier than I thought you would be," Makina said abruptly, drawing Lexi's attention from the window.

With a raised eyebrow, Lexi encouraged Makina to continue.

"Today is the first day I have seen you without that." Makina pointed at the black scarf that was loosely tied around Lexi's neck, far below its usual spot along her jaw. "I was unsure as to the reason you wore it. Though I was told otherwise, one theory I held was that you were rather plain in appearance."

Lexi had to smile at that. "Well, I am glad you approve."

"I do," Makina said as she peered at Lexi's face. "Though, I must admit I am slightly disappointed."

"Oh?"

"Yes, that scar." Makina narrowed her eyes. "It is not nearly as gruesome as I had imagined. In fact, it is rather endearing when combined with your other features. It gives you a very exotic appearance. I cannot imagine you wear the scarf simply to hide such a miniscule mark from the world."

Lexi let out a soft laugh and shook her head, her hand coming up to lightly brush the scar. "Believe it or not, when I was younger I believed this scar would be the end of my world. I thought it was such a hideous blemish. Something that would disfigure me for life."

Makina let out a snort. "That's very silly."

"Of course it was," Lexi laughed with Makina. "But I was young and I was weak and I was very much alone. It's almost painful to think of now, but for many years I truly believed it true."

"But not any more?"

"Not so much."

"Then why?" Makina reached forward and tugged on Lexi's scarf gently. "Why wear it?"

"I suppose you could say I wear it for protection," Lexi said.

Makina tilted her head. "Protection?"

"Yes." Lexi begin to idly play with her hair. "At first, as you know, it was a way to protect myself. A small way to shelter my fragile ego from any criticism the world might throw at me. But then, as I got older and I started to go on more and more missions, I realized that as a Hunter, my face is a liability. I have gone after many people. Bad people. Bad people who work for worse people. By hiding who I really am, I can at least have some semblance of security when I take it off. However rare that is."

"I see."

"Also," Lexi looked out the window and her fingers fell to the soft material of her scarf. "It keeps the blood off my face."

xXx

Cross was nearly asleep, despite a rather ferocious and pounding headache, when he heard the door to his compartment slide open then click shut. With his head resting against the cold window and his eyes already closed, he realized he was stuck with two options. He could open his eyes and greet the newcomer, likely another professor at the Academy, and hope they weren't too intrusive, or he could play it safe and pretend to sleep, likely falling asleep for real in the process.

It did not take him long to choose the sleep option.

Despite the interruption, the gentle vibration of the train's movement soon lulled him back to blissful sleep. Or would have, if the newcomer hadn't chosen to sit directly next to him. Very close. Uncomfortably close, actually. So close that their hip was pressed firmly against him their leg was gently knocking against his.

"All alone again?"

The familiar voice brought a frown to Cross's face and his eyes flicked open. Slowly, he turned his head and was met with a pretty, smiling face.

"Kosu," Cross sighed and turned his attention back out the window.

"Ah! You remembered after all this time! And here I was thinking you forgot about me. Such a polite boy you are," Kosu said, her voice barely a whisper. She pushed herself even closer to him. With a happy little hum, she slipped a petite arm around his and laid her head on his shoulder. She let out a content sigh as Cross continued to ignore her.

"You're being quite rude, you know." She murmured when he refused to acknowledge her presence.

With a grimace, Cross turned his head to look down at her. Her hair was long this time, black with streaks of purple and a bright red ribbon tied into a bow hanging over her ear. He cursed himself for taking the time to notice. She smiled up at him, oblivious to his mood.

"It's been a while Cross." Her head bobbed back and forth cheerfully.

"I wouldn't be bothered much if it was longer." He tried to pull his arm free, but she held fast.

"You're words always serve to wound!" Kosu chided, slapping his chest playfully. "And here I was, coming all this way just to give you a warning."

"Oh?" Cross said. He kept his voice uninterested. Giving Kosu even a moment of attention was a trap he had fallen into far too many times. "And are you simply going to tell me?"

"I will. Not just yet though. First things first!" Kosu gave him a pathetic pout. "Why have you been ignoring me?”

"You were the one who warned me," Cross said, already exasperated with Kosu. "That the void would be calling."

"Well that doesn't mean you shouldn't visit. I simply meant for you to be careful, silly boy" Kosu shook her head and clicked her tongue. "Oh you dear boy, I can't imagine how much pain you must be in right now."

Cross didn't give her the satisfaction of wincing as the blood suddenly pounded in his head as a weight dropped in his mind.

"It's calling you, isn't it? I hear it too. I must say, I am impressed you can hold out so long. You're so much stronger than you used to be." Kosu's eyes lit up and she reached out with one slender finger to press against his temple. Cross couldn't contain a sigh of relief as he felt an immediate reprieve from the pain.

"But, no matter how strong you become, you are still subject to the whims of the Void, Cross. You always will be," Kosu said as her hand moved down to cup his face. "Despite how you may feel, you cannot ignore its call. It will eat at you until you are nothing but a husk."

"Your advice seems rather contradictory."

"I suppose it is!" Kosu giggled. "Such is the way of the Void and such is the way of the world. I simply must have faith that you are strong enough to weather whatever storm may come." She pushed herself up towards him, using her hand as leverage to pull his head towards her until they were eye to eye. "I trust my faith is not in vain?"

"Do you really have a warning for me or don't you?" Cross said abruptly, pushing Kosu's hand away from his face and pulling his head back. Kosu pouted for a moment before the smile returned to her face.

"Of course I do! Now, normally I would ask you play a game, you know, but I believe watching your reaction will be more than amusing enough," she said as she pulled the ribbon free from her hair. Picking up his hand, she gently wound it around his fingers. "Would you like to know?"

Cross sighed, resisting the urge to pull his hand free from hers. "Yes."

Kosu let out a light laugh and finished tying the ribbon around his hand. Pulling her knees under herself, she shifted around until her lips just brushed against his ear. Cross's fingers gripped the fabric of his pants tightly as his arms strained to push her away, but he did not move from his position. Despite the annoyance, Kosu's warnings were rarely, if ever, insincere.

"Someone close to you is going to die. They are going to die, very soon." Kosu giggled as Cross finally reacted, shouldering her away. She spilled of the seat and onto the floor. Pouting, she looked up at him. "That wasn't very nice. You shouldn't be so cross, Cross."

"Who?" Cross growled.

"Oh, you know I can't tell you that." Kosu waggled a finger at him. "I shouldn't have even told you that someone was going to die. Death doesn't like it when people are given a chance to cheat her."

"Kosu." Cross's voice came out through gritted teeth.

"Close is such a curious word, don't you think? It has so many interesting connotations," Kosu continued, ignoring Cross's rising irritation. "For example, it could be someone physically close to you. On this very train. Perhaps in the next compartment over. But then again, it could mean emotionally close. Perhaps a guildmate… or a family member?" The smile on her face grew as Cross's fingers tightened into fists and he glared at her. "Then again, you have to consider the matter of time. Does it mean someone you are close to now? Or someone you will be close to in the future? Or even your past? Really, it could mean anyone and everyone. Maybe they aren't even important to you. Maybe it is someone you'd like to see die. Maybe…"

"Shut up." Cross hissed as he stood up. Kosu looked at him, amusement twinkling in her eyes.

"But Cross, you wanted the warning, didn't you?" Kosu stood up as well, and then continued to rise until she was eye level with him, her body floating effortlessly in the air. Her red and blue, mismatched eyes bored into his, her smirk never wavering.

"Tell me who," Cross breathed out, trying to keep his temper from flaring up. "Kosu, please."

“It's good, you know." Kosu's voice was almost silent. "That you can still feel so strongly for those you care about. I pray you never lose that. It would absolutely break my heart.”

Cross hesitated, his voice dying in his throat.

"I really do envy that so." Kosu smile slipped from her lips and Cross felt his frustration melt away. He stared at her, while her eyes looked anywhere but him. A thick silence permeated the compartment before Kosu let out a loud sniff and she spun around until she was hanging upside down in front of Cross. The cheeky smirk returned to her face in full force, but there was no real feeling behind it and Cross couldn't even muster up a glare in return.

"It's no matter," Kosu said. "No matter. Even if I wished it, I cannot tell you. You know as well as I that there are rules that even I cannot break. All I can do is give you this simple warning.”

Cross sighed and fell back into his chair. "I know."

Floating down to him, she reached out and gently touched his cheek. He closed his eyes as he felt the energy permeate his body from her touch.

"This will keep the pain away for now," Kosu said softly. "But I only have the power to shelter you for so long. When the Void calls you, you must answer. I will do my best to guide you when it does."

Her fingers slipped away from his skin and Cross opened his eyes, only to find himself very much alone in his compartment.

"Right, then." He frowned as he leaned back against the window. Conflicting emotions played out across his mind as he slowly drifted off to a blissfully, painless sleep.

1