Chapter Fifty-One
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cross fiddled with the phoenix stone inside his pocket, his back pressed firmly against one of the marble pillars of the academy's entry way. He pushed himself upright as front doors opened and a stunningly well-dressed Eliza slipped out.

"Now." Cross's voice was nearly silent.

"Got it," Banksy replied. "Oh, right, one last thing."

"What?" Cross said as he gave Eliza a small wave and began to walk towards her.

"You still have the diamond from our last job, right?"

"Somewhere, why?"

"Because, you might actually need it now! Your first date. I'm so proud" Banksy chortled. "You're growing up so fast. I can already hear the wedding bells."

"You're an idiot," Cross breathed as he cut the connection, killing Banksy's overly amused snort of laughter.

"Hello, Christian," Eliza greeted with a dazzling smile. "Ready to go?"

"Very,” Cross said, the lie slipping smoothly over his lips. He hesitated a moment before extending his arm.

"Such a gentleman." Eliza let out a soft laugh, interlocking her arm with his and allowing him to lead to her to one of the academy carriages. After helping Eliza inside, Cross slid the driver the directions and payment before pulling himself inside of the coach.

"So, how have you been adjusting to life here at Verid?" Eliza asked a few minutes into their journey.

"Some of the girls are difficult," Cross admitted. "But for the most part it has been a pleasant experience."

"You know, I think you may be the youngest professor we have ever had the pleasure of having, and the first mage in recent history," Eliza said.

Cross smiled. "I doubt I will be unique for very long. I had a girl accidentally light her textbook on fire yesterday. It seems she is a fire mage."

"Perhaps." Eliza ran her eyes over him. "Though I have heard you are rather skilled in your field."

"I wouldn't say I am overly so," Cross said lightly, slightly uncomfortable under her lingering gaze. He forced a smile onto his face. "If I were, I wouldn't have been so nervous about asking you out to dinner tonight."

"I think you're being modest. One of my patients was very impressed with you. She spent nearly our entire session telling me all about you, and your class. She said you were able to read a note a girl was passing without even opening it."

"I'm not sure if that constitutes as impressive."

She leaned forward. "Then impress me, Christian."

Her voice sent a chill down Cross's spine and he found himself leaning towards her without thinking. "How would you suggest I go about doing that?"

Eliza smiled, the pearly whites of her teeth contrasting sharply with the dark red shade of lipstick she wore. "I'm sure an opportunity will present itself."

xXx

Banksy was actually relatively disappointed as he picked the lock to the counselor's office. He knew it was going to be an easy crack but… but he was so bored. There were no trip wires, no guards patrolling, no attack dogs to run from, no one had tried to maim, shoot, stab, or injure him in anyway. It just didn't feel right without some kind of overwhelming sense of impending danger or even, dare he say it, Romeo to do or say something incredibly stupid that would lead to another near death experience.

"Hmmm," Banksy said to himself as he pushed the door open and entered Eliza's office proper. "I might have problems. Maybe I should talk to a counselor."

He chuckled at his own joke and looked around the office. He was not overly surprised to find it was better furnished than his living quarters. He spied a few expensive looking pieces that he was sure he could sell after the job, but managed to put a cap on those thoughts. Lexi would murder him if he did anything to jeopardize the mission.

"Starting to feel like a damn second-class citizen here," he grumbled as he worked his way over to Eliza's filing cabinet.

Though he was completely sure the lock would be nothing special, he pulled out a ring and gave it a quick scan. When he got nothing in return he let out a dramatic sigh and jiggled the lock free with barely a thought. Though the job was easy, he still smiled to himself as he reached into his pocket and gently clutched the phoenix stone.

"I'm in. Beginning the copy now," he said softly.

"Understood. Cross should be nearing the town, so you should be good on time." Lexi responded. "Good work, Banksy."

"Only kind I do." Banksy said smugly. "You all set on your end?"

"I'm on my way to inform Makina of the plan. Keep me updated if your situation changes."

"Will do, boss." Banksy gave a small salute as the connection ended. Cracking his knuckles he turned to the filing cabinet. "Alright, let's do this."

Reaching out, he pulled open the first drawer and grabbed the first file. Almost immediately he pulled back his hand with a small curse. Lifting up his finger to the dull light he frowned as a single drop of blood welled up from a small paper cut. He wiped the wound clean on his pants leg and gave the cabinet a gentle kick.

"Well, thanks for not taking my entire damn finger, at least," he mumbled before gingerly picking up the file again. Dropping down to the floor, he began his work, finger throbbing ever so slightly.

"Yeah. It's going to be one of those nights."

xXx

"Eliza?" Cross slowed to a halt as he felt Eliza suddenly falter and come to a stop beside him. They had just exited the carriage and were only a few blocks away form the restaurant. Turning, Cross stared back at the beautiful young woman, a faraway look in her eyes. He followed her gaze and could just make out the academy in the distance, the highest towers lit up ever so slightly.

"Eliza?" Cross ventured again.

She shook herself and gave him an embarrassed grin. "Oh, I'm sorry, Christian. I haven't been in town for a long time and I forgot just how lovely the academy looks from afar."

"Oh," Cross said, unsure of how to respond. He squinted his eyes slightly. "I guess it does."

Eliza laughed and began to walk with him. "It's alright, I'm sure you will come to love Verid more with time."

"If I can make it through this first year, maybe."

"I'm sure you are doing better than you think. The first time is always the scariest, but it gets easier after that."

Cross gave her a wry smile as they reached the restaurant and he held the door open for her. "So asking you out next time will be easier?"

"That depends on how tonight goes." Eliza winked as she slipped passed him.

Cross kept the smile on his face as he followed her inside. So far everything was going much smoother than he had expected, though honestly, how hard could this really be if Romeo was able to do it all the time?

He would just have to be a bit more like Romeo.

The thought made the smile slide right off his face.

xXx

"Now you see, this is much better than being stuck in that room, isn't it?" Makina said as she purchased two ice cream cones from a vendor, with money that she had liberated from Cross, and handed one to Lara.

"There are a lot of people," Lara said quietly, accepting the ice cream cone. She gave it a tentative lick and shivered. "It's cold."

"Well it is ice cream," Makina said as she took a large bite of the frozen treat, obviously pleased.

"I guess. I'm not sure how long we should stay out, though," Lara said.

"Oh don't worry so much, it is the weekend. Students are supposed to enjoy the weekends, aren't they?"

"Well, yeah, but-"

"Wait!" Makina hissed, grabbing Lara by the arm and pulling her around a corner. The slight girl stumbled and nearly dropped her ice cream cone before managing to recover.

"Makina, what-"

"Shhhhh," Makina said as she peeked around the corner. "What is he doing?"

"Who?" Lara asked as she glanced around the corner. Across the street she saw Cross and Eliza enter into a restaurant together. She watched as Eliza winked at Cross. "Oh."

"That idiot. What does he think he is doing?" Makina's tiny fist crushed her cone and the temperature in the immediate area began to drop.

"It looks like a date," Lara said, her free hand coming up to bite at her nail.

"A date? A servant does not… does not do that!" Makina all but growled.

"Servant?" Lara asked, her eyes moving to Makina.

"Yes he is-" Makina went silent for a moment and took in a deep breath. "Both of them, I mean. Our parents pay quite large sums of money for our education. That makes both of them our servants, in a way. They should not be… be… fraternizing like this. It is unprofessional!"

"Yeah… I guess you’re right," Lara murmured.

"We should go give them a piece of our minds." Makina took a step forward but Lara reached out and caught her by the wrist.

"Please, don't,” Lara said. Her breath came out in a cloud of fog.

"Why not?"

"Because… because I don't want to get into trouble with them. Please, Makina?"

Makina stared at Lara for a long time, her jaw clenched before she let out a small groan and stomped her foot.

"Fine," Makina huffed. "I suppose we can return to the academy. I have lost my appetite for the night anyways."

xXx

As he read through the menu, Cross was glad he had thought to bring more money than he usually would. The prices were high enough that he was sure Lexi was using them to actively punish him. Though, that seemed more like a tactic Servilia would employ.

"So, Christian." Eliza put down her menu. "Can you tell me something?"

Cross looked up. "Yes?"

"What am I going to order?" Eliza smiled at him in challenge.

Cross stared at her for a moment before slowly lifting his hand up to his temple. He closed his eyes for a moment and let his mind go blank.

"Veal medallions, seared... With a glass of the house special." Cross flicked his eyes open. "And you're going to like it."

Eliza blinked before letting out a light laugh. "Spot on. At least, the first part. The second we shall see."

Cross smiled. "Impressed?"

"Well, I am getting there," Eliza replied. "But you're going have to do a little bit better than that."

"Probably going to need some wine, then," Cross said, rising a hand to signal the waiter. He added under his breath, "A lot of wine."

xXx

"Banksy." Lexi's voice filtered through Banksy's mind as he copied down another line of information.

"Yup?" Banksy’s work did not slow.

"Cross should be on his way back soon."

"I should be done in another ten minutes. After this I'll drop the files off in your room and head out."

"Good. I'll move to watch the front gate incase Cross arrives early. Let me know when you’ve completed your work."

"You got it." Banksy said. He felt a beat of hesitation from Lexi. "Anything else?"

Lexi sighed. "I have no idea where Makina is. I checked her room but it doesn't appear as though she has been in for a few hours."

"Ah." Banksy paused his work for a minute. "Well, I'm sure she's fine. She said she was going to spend the weekend with that other girl, didn't she?"

"I suppose." Lexi sounded unconvinced. "If you see her, please let me know."

"Will do, but don’t hold your breath. Not a good look for me to be roaming around where the students are without a reason," Banksy said as he flipped over another page and started down the final stretch. He fought off a yawn.

This really was boring work.

Next time, Cross could do this and he would go out to eat at the fancy restaurant with the pretty girl.

xXx

"It's gotten cold," Eliza said, her words slightly slurred, as they stepped out of the restaurant and into the night.

Cross had to agree as a puff of his breath appeared in front of his eyes. After a moment of hesitation he shrugged out of his jacket and draped it over Eliza's shoulders. She gave him a large smile that left him unsure of what to say. Silently he offered his arm and she took it, allowing him to lead them into town.

"You know, I don't think I've been on a date since university," Eliza said, leaning her head against Cross's shoulder. "That's longer than I would like to admit."

The proximity, coupled with the alcohol, made it hard to concentrate, but Cross managed to speak coherently. "I have trouble believing that."

"You'd be surprised, but I suppose working at an academy made up primarily of spoiled young girls and grumpy old professors doesn't exactly give me many options. Though, you wouldn't believe how many of the fathers have been… Well, let's just say they have been more than friendly when their wives aren't around."

"A noble not being true to their commitments?" Cross scoffed with a smile on his face. "Who would ever think such a thing?"

"Oh I know." Eliza gave off a light laugh. "Who would ever think that the parents that raised these horrible little monsters would be anything but perfect!" She thrust out her arm dramatically and the sudden move sent her off balance. She stumbled to the side and nearly dragged them both to the ground. Adjusting his arms, Cross was just able to catch them both, one hand reaching out to grab a nearby wall and the other wrapping firmly around Eliza's slender waist as her arms clutched at him for support.

"I think I can count that as impressive," Eliza said breathlessly as she looked up at Cross with her cheeks a rosy shade of pink and amusement shining clearly in her eyes. Her arms relaxed around him.

"And it didn't even take magic." Cross managed to say, though he felt some heat rush to his cheeks under her gaze, no doubt aided by the alcohol.

"Christian," Eliza said after a few moments. "Are you going to hold me like this all night? Not that I would say I mind."

"Oh. Right. Sorry." Cross slowly pulled them back into a standing position and released Eliza from the intimate embrace. Almost immediately her arm was back around his and her head returned to his shoulder.

"You know, they all aren't bad, though," Eliza sighed after a time as they continued to walk. "Some of the girls, they are just… just perfect enough to eat." She laughed. "But they are sorely outnumbered by the spoiled little princesses. It's even worse because some of them are actual princesses. I've had a few threaten to have their fathers fire me. "

"How do you deal with that?"

"I don't. Most of their issues are just misguided emotions. I just try to help them see that, a little bit. Though, it doesn't always work..."

"I heard this was a suicide attempt last session," Cross said softly.

Eliza nodded. "Poor girl. I wish I could have done more to help her, but she was very troubled. Problems at home and problems here. Some of the other girls were quite vicious to her."

Cross logged that information away to report to Lexi later.

"I do my best to vet all of the high risk students every session, but some do not want help. Others do, but their families don't want them to shame their good name. It's very sad to see."

"Well, noble families aren't particularly known for producing best parents." Cross said as they reached the waiting carriage. Cross helped Eliza into the coach before settling in next to her.

"Speak from experience?" Eliza asked as Cross shut the door and the carriage began to move. She gave him a coy smile. "That was a rather nice restaurant. Are you a secret noble hiding in plain sight?"

"If I am, then I was disowned long ago," Cross said with a soft scoff. "I hope I didn't get your hopes up for our next date."

"Oh, so there will be a next date, will there?" Eliza's eyes twinkled.

"I guess I should wait to worry about that until after this one has ended."

"That isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't be too worried." She gave Cross a warm smile and the pair settled into comfortable silence for the rest of the ride. It wasn't until they arrived at the academy that Cross felt a small warmth in his pocket and Lexi's voice spoke softly in his mind.

"Banksy just finished. You are clear."

As Cross exited the carriage he felt a pair of eyes that he knew to be Lexi's watching him. As he helped Eliza from the carriage he gave a very tiny nod to Lexi's general direction.

"Well then." Eliza tilted her head up to look at him. "I had a wonderful time, Christian."

"I did too," Cross replied, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

"I never liked this part either," Eliza said as she suddenly leaned up and gave him a soft peck on the cheek and pulled away. She gave him a gentle wave as she quickly ascended the stairway to the academy. "So let's keep it simple, shall we?"

"I… yeah." Cross reached up and touched his cheek as he watched her go.

"Oh, and Christian?" Eliza stopped at the entryway. "Let's do this again, very, very soon."

And she was gone.

"Yeah, I wouldn't count on that," Cross said with a tired sigh, reaching up and giving his temple a gentle rub. He stayed outside for a few minutes longer, enjoying the cool night air before the alcohol and exhaustion finally struck him. Shoulders slumping, he shook his head he headed up the stairs and to his room.

xXx

Opening his door, Cross stumbled into his room and quickly pulled off his tie. He began to pull himself free of his confining clothes.

"You look like you had a good time," Lexi said, her soft voice drifting out from behind him.

"Do I?" Cross slowly turned on the girl, unfazed at her sudden appearance.

"Yes. I think dating suits you, which is good."

Cross narrowed his eyes. "Why?"

"Banksy missed a few files. You might actually need to get that second date with her now."

Cross's face fell. "You're not serious."

Lexi gave a small shrug and Cross nearly collapsed to the floor before a tiny smile appeared on Lexi's face. "I couldn't resist."

"Oh. That's funny. Ha Ha. Ha." Cross reached out and rested on hand on her shoulder, leaning down so he could look her straight in the eye. "But really, don't make me do that again." He brushed passed her and fell face first onto his bed. "Ever!"

Lexi perched on the edge of his bed and rested her hand on his head. "I'm sure you'd survive."

"Oh shuddup." Cross groaned into the bed. "Banksy do good?"

"Of course," Lexi said. "I'll be going over the files tonight. There will be a debriefing tomorrow.”

"Noted," Cross said, voice muffled against the sheets. He tilted his face to the side. "Right. Eliza said the last victim had some issues with some of the other girls. Not sure who, but might be worth looking into."

"Really?" Lexi said as she stood up. "From what I have been able to find she was quite well liked. Though, I doubt anyone would admit anything after such a traumatic incident. I will keep that in mind."

"Mmm, well, don't stay up too late," Cross mumbled as he snagged a pillow and pulled it under his head. “Best of luck and all that.”

Lexi rolled her eyes and headed to her room to work.

1