Chapter Sixty
56 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7 Years ago

Lexi watched from the doorway as Cross carefully placed a paper-bound package inside of a leather pouch that was securely strapped to his leg with a series of buckles. She frowned behind her scarf as he glanced up and gave her a smug grin.

"You still pouting?" Cross said as he secured the pouch shut and gave it a gentle tap for good measure.

"I'm not pouting."

"You sound like you’re pouting."

"It's not fair that you get to go on a solo mission before me."

"Thirteen is the minimum age for couriers," Cross said with a small shrug as he pulled on his travelling coat. "Even if I was still trying to become a Hunter, you'd still be two years behind me. You’re waiting either way."

"I'd only be waiting two years instead of five." Lexi scowled. "I still don't understand why you aren't trying to become a Hunter anymore. You have the skills."

Cross shrugged. "This fits me better now."

"It doesn't feel like it does," Lexi said as she moved into his room and dropped onto the edge of his bed. She glanced at the map. "Where are you going?"

"You're getting nosy again," Cross cautioned with a small smile.

"Being well informed is not the same as being nosy. The Mistress told me that."

"She also said that on a lesson about Hunting your target," Cross said. "So, it almost sounds like you're planning on Hunting me. You know you'll get into a lot of trouble if you try to follow me, right?"

Lexi looked down at the floor. "I wasn't going to."

"Sure." Cross lifted up his finger and planted it on the map. "There is a small village here, just outside of Gorin and into Verla. The Mistress wants me to take this message to someone there."

"Why don't the posters handle it?"

"They won't travel into Verla, apparently," Cross said with a small sigh. "It's going to take me a while to get there though. I can take a train from here to Dumas, and a train from Dumas to the edge of Verla but Verla has no train system in place and it is rare to find a carriage there. It will be faster for me to take the train to Gorin, and then travel through one of the carriage companies through the mountains from there."

"That will take weeks," Lexi said quietly.

"At least," Cross said as he ran a hand through his hair. "Gorin is nice this time of year though. If this was winter it could take months to get through. Once the mountain paths freeze up, there really isn’t anything to do but wait it out.”

"That means I'll be practicing with Servilia while you're gone.”

"Lucky you," Cross said. "She doesn't hit hard, but she's fast. You haven't beaten her yet, have you?"

Lexi let out a hiss of air through her nose. "No. Not yet."

"Don't worry about that too much, she's got a few years of training on you."

"You still beat her last week."

"I know her weak points. Watch her footwork and you'll figure it out."

Lexi eyed him for a moment. "Are you really giving up being a Hunter?"

"Yes.”

"Why?"

"Well, it doesn't make much sense for our team to have two Hunters on it, does it?" Cross said after a moment of thought. Knowing Lexi wouldn't be satisfied with the answer he added, "Then again, I'm not sure I want to be on a team with a Leader who would lose in a fight with a simple courier."

"Then I'll beat you," Lexi said as she popped up from the bed and stuck out her hand. "I promise, I'll beat you. Then you'll join my team. So you have to come back."

Cross gave her a bemused smile but lifted up his hand to shake hers nevertheless, "Deal. If you beat me, I'm all yours, Princess."

Lexi didn't let go of his hand, her voice growing quiet. "You have to promise. No matter what. Any mission you take ever take, you have to come back here. Come back home."

"I'll come back, no matter what," Cross said softly. "I promise."

Lexi's eyes crinkled as she released his hand before driving her fist into his gut.

"What was that for?" Cross gasped.

"Verla is dangerous, so is Gorin. Always keep your guard up."

"You could have just said that."

"The Mistress says that there is no replacement for experience," Lexi said as she unstrapped one of the knives she wore on her hip. She tossed it to Cross. "That's one of my favorites, so make sure you bring that back too."

"Noted," Cross said as he attached the weapon to his belt. He gave her a final glance. "Try not to cause too much trouble while I'm gone.”

xXx

Servilia sidestepped Lexi's sword and thrust towards the girls exposed chest. Lexi leapt into the air, spinning her body around Servilia's blade and landing in a crouch. Springing forward, she stabbed forward only to have Servilia slap her attack away with a quick parry and step forward to deliver a open palm strike to Lexi's chest that sent the younger girl stumbling back.

Servilia pressed, leading with a series of thrusts that Lexi batted aside but she was unable to stop Servilia's forward momentum. Gritting her teeth, Lexi planted her feet to make a stand, but Servilia's quicker blade found an opening in her defense. The wooden sword struck Lexi hard on the hip and she let out a cry of pain. Servilia did not relent, rapping Lexi hard on the knuckles and forcing the sword from her hand. As the blade fell, Servilia went for the kill, driving her sword toward Lexi's torso. Lexi threw herself backwards, flipping away from the attack and landing a few feet away from Servilia.

The two girls regarded each other for a moment before Servilia closed the distance between them, keeping herself between Lexi and her fallen sword. Lexi eyed her blade, but knew she couldn't get passed Servilia. She would have to go on the attack.

She waited a beat before sliding forward and drawing a slash from Servilia that she sidestepped. Servilia tried again with a thrust, but Lexi slipped past it and into striking distance. Her fist came up and struck Servilia in the side before she ducked under another slash. She moved to strike again, but Servilia read the movement. Lexi's eyes widened as Servilia's fist caught her hard on the cheek and sent her reeling. Before Lexi could recover Servilia swept her legs out from under her and sent her crashing to the floor. Before she could recover, she felt Servilia’s sword press against her throat.

Lexi stayed on the ground for a long time, unable to do anything but gasp for air, her small chest heaving in exertion. She looked up at Servilia who looked little worse for wear, though her usually pristine hair, slicked with sweat, clung to her face. Servilia smiled down at her.

"You're getting faster. A few more months and I won't stand a chance," Servilia said in between deep breaths. "Would it be alright with you if we called it a day? I have some files I would like to finish up before the weekend starts and if I go another round with you I'm going to collapse."

Lexi felt a stab of guilt. Cross had been gone for almost five weeks now and with her usual partner gone she had all but begged Servilia to train with her. Without fail, Servilia had given Lexi at least one sparring match per day, and most days more than one.

"Of course. I'm sorry for asking so much of you," Lexi said.

Servilia waved her hand, "Think nothing of it. Though maybe next time we can go shopping or visit a spa. Mental training is just as important as physical training, you know."

Lexi raised an eyebrow, "Shopping is mental training?"

Servilia smiled, "You've obviously never haggled with me before. Don't worry, I will teach you."

Though she was dubious Lexi nodded.

"Servilia!"

Lexi turned her head as a tall, dark-skinned woman appeared in the stairway. A look of concern was plastered on her face.

"Adella?"

"Where is Galen?" Adella said.

"He is visiting family." Servilia's brow furrowed. "Why. What's wrong?"

"The Mistress's carriage just returned with Cross. He's been injured."

The words had scarcely left Adella's lips before Lexi had dashed past her and thundered up the stairs. She pushed through the other members of the guild and to the front doors where Jiana was stoically watching Zachary gently carry Cross up the stairs. Lexi started after them, but a hand reached out and gently caught her by the shoulder.

"Wait," Servilia said softly.

"Servilia," Jiana called out, her sharp eyes spying the pair. "It's fine."

Lexi didn't wait for Servilia's fingers to fully fall away before she was sprinting up the stairs. She reached Cross's room just as Zachary was leaving. He gave her a solemn smile.

"Don't worry. He's a tough one, he'll bounce back soon. Just needs some of my famous cooking," Zachary clapped her lightly on the shoulder before ambling down the stairs.

Lexi made her way silently into Cross's room. He was lying on the bed with his arms laid out on either side. Thick bandages had been wrapped around his wrists. Her eyes went blurry as tears threatened to fall. She hastily wiped them away, sucking in a deep breath.

Tentatively she reached out to touch him, but just before her hand made contact with his skin, she stopped. Her eyes flicked back down to his wrists. Her breath caught in her throat as she watched fresh blood begin to slowly seep through the white cloth. Fresh tears came and she nearly collapsed, catching herself against the side of the bed. Blinking away her tears, she reached out again and gently pressed her hand against Cross’s forehead.

His skin was like fire.

"He will be asleep for a while," Jiana said, appearing beside her. She stared down at Cross for a moment before reaching down and brushing some hair from his face.

"What happened to him?" Lexi asked thickly.

"He was found just outside the Gorin border. His wounds had been tended too, but there was a considerable amount of poison in his blood," Jiana said softly.

“Is… is he… he won’t die, right?” Lexi;s head snapped towards the Mistress. “He won’t, right? He can’t. Cross can’t… Right?”

Jiana smiled softly at the young mage. “No, he won’t die. I’m sure of that.”

Lexi nodded, her eyes falling back on Cross. Slowly her hand moved to the knife on her hip. “How did this happen?”

“I believe this was an accident."

"How could this be an accident?" Lexi nearly snapped but managed to hold her composure at the last moment.

"They found him very near the Dark Forest," Jiana said quietly. "I warned him to avoid that route, but I'm afraid he did not listen. The law of the land is very different from the law of man. For now, I am simply glad that he is alive."

Lexi did not understand, but she nodded.

"If you wish to stay with him, you may. If he wakes, please come and get me." Jiana said. She gave Cross one last look before leaving the room.

Lexi perched on the edge of Cross's bed, staring down at him with a frown on her face. Carefully, she reached down and gently took hold of his hand.

"Well, you came back, so it still counts," Lexi said quietly as she settled into a more comfortable position beside him.

1