Chapter Seventy
117 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Lexi had feared spending a dinner alone with a man she had only briefly met might have been awkward, those fears were quickly dispelled. Sammir had a calm way of speaking that, combined with the easy smiles that constantly lit up his face, was extremely contagious. Only minutes into their dinner Lexi found herself almost completely at ease. With only the slightest of hesitations, she reached up and loosened the scarf tied around her face and allowed it to drop down to rest comfortably around her neck. Sammir's eyes watched the piece of fabric curiously.

"I was slightly surprised, I must admit, to see that you wore that scarf at all times, and not simply while hunting," Sammir said.

Lexi toyed with a tassel of her scarf. "Not long ago, I would not have even remove it for our dinner."

"Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?"

Lexi reached up and gently touched the scar that marred the side of her face, her fingers running along the uneven skin. "At first, I wore it for a silly reason and you could say it grew into a habit. One that has been hard to break as I get older."

"I believe I understand," Sammir said with a slight nod. "If you don't mind, I have another question. I must ask that you forgive me for all that questions I have been asking tonight. I am simply fascinated by both you and your guild. I don't believe we have any functioning guilds back home, at least not yet. I assume they will begin popping back up soon, with magic returning to the land so rapidly. I have no doubt your guild is benefiting greatly from being one of the only guilds available to take jobs of a magical nature."

"We have been busy," Lexi said, thinking back to the giant stack of requests that was growing ever higher on Servilia's desk. Selecting the correct teams to deal with requests that involved magic was proving more difficult than anticipated, but Servilia was a fast learner, even more so when money was involved. "What was your question?"

"Earlier, your two… your two friends," Sammir shifted in his chair and looked around, slightly nervous as if the mere thought of Romeo or Banksy could accidentally invoke them, "they referred to you as their leader. What does that mean, exactly?"

Lexi lifted her hand and showed Sammir the silver dragon ring that curled around her slender finger. The light glinted off the sleeping dragon, making its scales sparkle. "This ring marks me as a Team Leader. It gives me the authority over the members of my team, and makes me responsible for their actions while we are fulfilling a request. Though, I must admit," Lexi frowned slightly, "I am not a fully fledged Team Leader yet. I have completed my first team request, and now I am waiting for the Mistress and Servilia to finish scoring my performance. If they find it acceptable, I will be prompted for a full fledged Leader within the guild."

"That seems like an amazing feat for someone so young.”

Lexi nodded. "I am considered young by the usual standards, but in the long history of our guild I am far from the youngest to ever achieve status as a Team Leader. However, they were not referred to as Team Leaders then."

"What were they called?"

"Captains. The team system was not formally introduced to our guild until the second war between Voy and Dumas. The Sleeping Dragon guild was considered extremely powerful then, enough so that the King requested our help in defending Voy. We were officially drafted into the military, but kept separate by the request and influence of our master. We formed our own units, each having at least 4 members, led by a Captain."

"Your guild must have been powerful to be able to convince the King to allow you to work independently from the military. I am not well versed in the subject, but I do know that in Romiatii, when wars broke out we too drafted from guilds, but never in such a manner.”

"Our Master is skilled at negotiation," Lexi said. "The king realized it was much wiser to let us be than to create an internal enemy."

"Quite so," Sammir said with a thoughtful nod. "But you are no longer called Captains?"

"No, our current Mistress changed it to Leader. She believed it conveyed a more effective message for our current, peaceful era."

"I see. So, as a Leader you pick your own team?" Sammir said before taking a sip of wine.

"I pick my team, but it is still up to them to agree to work under me. No one in the guild is under any obligation to work for anyone else. It must be done by free will."

"Then respect is very important,"

"Extremely. A Leader who lacks respect and could not hold a team together risks losing the title altogether."

Sammir smiled. "You must be a very good Leader, then?"

Lexi was taken aback at the sudden compliment. "Why do you say that?"

"Because, your two friends were so very willing to threaten me. Not a hint of hesitation in either of them. I can't imagine they would do that for just anyone."

"They are good boys," Lexi smiled. "Even if they cause me trouble. I'm actually partially responsible for one of them. I brought him into the guild on a hunch he would be useful."

"How did you go about doing that?"

"I had another member of the guild beat him until he was unconscious. He was too cocky, but he is better now. Mostly," Lexi said lightly. "It's amazing what a beating or two can do to improve someone’s disposition."

"And they the only members of your team?" Sammir said, with barely a hint of nervousness at the ease of which Lexi spoke of violence.

"No, there is one more," Lexi said. "But he is… away."

There was an edge to her voice and Sammir wisely chose not to follow down that road of questioning. "Four members including yourself. Well, then, I wish you the best of luck in becoming the greatest Leader your guild has ever seen. Though I have very little doubt that you will fail, not after what I saw you do to that despicable pirate, Atlas."

"Thank you, but I am still a novice. I have much to learn before I can become even a decent Leader." Lexi said, her fingers absentmindedly winding through her scarf at the praise.

"Beautiful, intelligent, fierce, and yet you are still so humble," Sammir said, lifting up his glass. "Amazing. I do not believe I have ever met anyone quite like you."

Lexi felt heat creep into her cheeks and she quickly reached out for her drink only to have her fingers knock against the edge of the glass and knock it forward. Eyes widening, her hand shot out to catch the glass only to have her fingers wrap around Sammir's as he did the same, his hand reaching the glass a fraction of a second before hers. Eyes still wide, Lexi looked up to find Sammir staring at her with an embarrassed smile. For a moment Lexi was unsure of what to do before she smiled as well and a light laugh escaped her lips.

xXx

Cross had long grown weary of the train and the carriage ride was a welcome reprieve. The roads through the Gorin Mountains were well maintained and the carriages were well suited to the travel. He was able to easily relax in his seat, leaning his head against the cool canvas siding.

It was getting cold out, but winter was still a ways off. At least, Cross hoped it was. The mountain paths of Gorin were miserable to traverse during winter, with the snow piling up as high as the neck and stretching off far as the eye could see. While it was both awe-inspiring and beautiful to look at, it also meant that the caravan's charged an arm and a leg to travel through it. Though, Cross mused as he stared up at the mountains in the distance, with magic the difficulty could be reduced drastically. Makina would probably make a killing with her control over the winds and ice, if only she had any form of motivation.

"Abbo," The driver called back, drawing Cross's attention.

Cross nodded and grabbed his pack as the carriage slowed down before finally coming to a stop. Cross popped out the back and tossed a silver coin to the driver. The man caught it and gave him a nod of thanks before snapping his reigns and continuing on his journey. Cross watched him go before turning towards the small town.

It hadn't changed much in the seven years since he had last visited. It was a small little town, nestled in the basin of two mountains that had once housed vast stores of precious stones. Back in its prime, Cross had been informed it was one of the most profitable areas of mining in Gorin, until the mountain had been sucked dry. With all but the hardest to find of the minerals left, the town had shrunk in size until finally finding a healthy balance.

Cross liked it.

It was quiet and peaceful, with only a single inn that had been owned by the same family for generations, the Silver Diamond. Cross had once spent almost an entire month there, trying to determine the best path to take, while waiting for a rather bothersome storm to pass that turned all the roads to Verla into nothing more muddy paths or violent steams.

Cross pushed in the door to the Silver Diamond and was met with a grizzled old man whose face lit up with a friendly smile. "Hello."

"Hello," Cross dipped his head in greeting. "I will be needing a room for the night."

He stumbled slightly over his words and silently cursed himself for not brushing up on his Gori on the train. It had been a long time since he had spoken the language and every syllable felt strange as it passed over his tongue.

"Cross!"

Cross turned and was nearly knocked to the ground as a small body slammed against him and a mess of curly hair brushed against his chin. Cross caught his footing, a bemused smile on his face as he looked down at a pair of bright, brown eyes.

"Rudu?" Cross said as the girl released him and took a step back, smoothing out her apron.

"It's been a long time," Rudu said, a large smile lighting up her face.

"It has," Cross said as he looked down at the inn-keepers grand-daughter. "You've gotten taller."

"Seven years will do that."

"Still cute," Cross grinned as he ruffled her hair. "How old are you now?"

Rudu looked down and a blush appeared on her dark skin. "I'm turning sixteen in two weeks."

Cross glanced at her grandfather, Oluji. "You must be terrified."

"How could I not be? She's just as lovely as her mother and her grandmother, maybe even more so! The boys around here can't get enough of her. I'll have to start shooing them with my sword if this keeps up!" Oluji laughed. " It is good to see you again Cross, I didn't even recognize you. You’ve grown too. You still young and stupid?”

“You still old and grumpy?”

“Of course. It is the right of the old to complain!” Oluji grinned. “Rudu, please show him to his room."

"Yes, Grandfather!" Rudu grabbed the key and quickly ushered Cross up the stairs.

"Your Voyan. It's gotten better." Cross said as he followed her.

"Your Gori is still terrible," Rudu giggled as she opened his door. Cross deposited his bag and allowed Rudu to bring him back downstairs and into the dining room. Rudu's grandmother, Lesedi, appeared with a pot of tea and tray pastries that she set down in front of Cross.

"Little Cross?" Lesedi said, surprised when Rudu told her. She gave him a closer look before reaching out and pulling him into a bone-crushing hug. "Stupid boy. Do you have any idea how long we were worried when they brought you back through this town half-dead? Rudu nearly cried herself to death!"

"Grandma! I did not!" Rudu cried.

"Oh hush, you were a baby then. All babies cry," Lesedi waved her off. "It was very nice of your mother to send us a letter telling us you survived. I would have hated to lose a potential customer. And I don't think I could have taken Rudu's blubbering much longer."

Rudu turned a dark shade of red and buried her face in her hands. "Grandma!"

"I apologize for worrying you," Cross said with a bow of his head.

"Well, you are a boy. I expect you have done many stupid things. Try not to repeat them," Lesedi mock scolded him with a gentle chop on the head. "Now, don't fill up on these. I am preparing dinner."

"I won't," Cross said, slumping down in his chair as she left for the kitchen. It was amazing how effortlessly and effectively a mother could scold. Cross was sure that was some kind of magic power in its own right.

"So, why are you back?" Rudu asked as she popped a cookie into her mouth.

"Aren't those for guests, not maids?" Cross said as he picked up the cup of tea and took a long drink. The warmth spread through his entire body and he felt the weariness of the travel slide from his bones.

"I am on break," Rudu grinned as she nabbed another cookie.

"Fair," Cross said as he drained the tea and poured himself another cup. "I'm going to Verla."

Rudu paused just as she lifted a third cookie to her mouth. "Verla?"

"Verla," Cross nodded.

"Like last time?"

"Like last time."

Rudu frowned. "I don't think that is a good idea."

"Orders," Cross said with a small shrug.

Rudu leaned forward. "You're not going to go the same way are you?"

Cross sipped his tea in silence.

"You can't!" Rudu shook her head as she slipped back into her native tongue. "You were nearly dead the last time? Are you an idiot? Moron! Stupid! Two headed Fool with not even a touch of sense! Why would you want to go that way again?"

"Rudu, calm down." Cross poured her a cup of tea and pushed it across the table. She took it but made no move to drink. Cross sighed. "That was seven years ago."

"And the Forrest has only grown more dangerous!"

Cross raised an eyebrow. "More?"

Rudu nodded vigorously and began to speak so fast that Cross wasn’t able to follow. As he started to hold up a hand Rudu sucked in a sharp breath and tried a second time, this time using a language Cross could follow.

"Lots of people have been coming through town lately and heading for the forest. Not all of them have come back, but those that do…"

"Are they being attacked?”

"They say the forest is angry for some reason."

"What do you think?"

"I think… I think it has something to do with magic, but I can't be sure," Rudu said. "But… I don't think anyone who got hurt went into that forest with good intentions. They were after something. They were all very rude to my grandparents and the townspeople. They were not good people. Most of them were ugly too."

"Well then, I should be fine," Cross said. "My intentions are nothing but pure and I'm a good person. I'm just getting medicine from one of the Verlan tribes. It will be fine.”

"You should still take another way." Rudu crossed her arms over her chest.

Cross shrugged. He didn't feel like arguing the point. He finished his tea before resting his arms on the table and eyeing Rudu for a long time, ignoring her glare. "So, tell me about these boys that have got your grandfather up in arms?"

Rudu's glare instantly shattered as she let out a groan and dropped her face into her hands.

1