Black And White, Lights (2)
2.1k 1 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 153 : Black And White, Lights (2)

“Angels?” Agni asked quizzically. Despite the rapid escalation of the situation, her thoughts were now on Shula and the others. She suddenly realized that they had to watch everything unfold. Katrin looked wholly distressed, while Merri and Ariadna seemed unsure what to make of the situation altogether. Shula was unharmed, aside from perhaps her pride -- and who could blame her? Even now, Agni wanted to grind her teeth to dust in order to avoid lighting that rude bastard on fire.

Vivian’s stern look caused that idea to wither immediately as she further explained.

“Angellus. Basically the fun police on steroids. This world’s version of angels. They are celestial type adventurers with so called divine powers and abilities. They are the bane of all demons -- because their abilities run counter to ours. That skill you were hit with, it was one such ability.”

As Agni recalled the strange sensation which caused her to nearly fall to her knees, she realized what Vivian meant. The sensation recalled was like having foreign emotions writhing around in one's body. Being truly uncomfortable from the inside out, as something unknown creeps through your veins and renders you more powerless by the second.

“Is that why ‘Whisper’ didn’t work on him?” She asked.

“They are mostly immune to the powers of demon-kin, from what I understand. However, if you’re strong enough I don’t think that applies.”

“You’re right about that… definitely the fun police.” A different voice echoed from behind Agni. She immediately recognized the owner, it was Zura, the owner of the Silken Petal. As usual she was stunning. Instead of her usual purple kimono she was dressed in black and gold. A fur collar around her neck gave her an elegant appearance to match her sultry style.

“Hello Agni. Katrin. Shula.” At the mention of Shula’s name Zura gave a wink. The imp averted her eyes and blushed, leaving Agni somewhat ignorant of the cause. Nevertheless, it didn’t matter so much. Agni was simply happy to see the Courtesan class adventurer once more.

“Doyenne Lex.” Zura said as she set eyes upon Vivian.

“You look amazing today.” She added as she bowed her head ever so slightly. Vivian seemed amicable, and therefore complimented Zura as well. Despite the fact that they had never really had cause to meet personally, both knew of each other.

“Did you know the members of Guiding Light?” Vivian asked, wondering the purpose for Zura’s presence.

“Yes. A young elven woman, Lee’ahn’dra. She saved my life countless times during my early days when I was just struggling to get by. I was...deeply saddened to hear that she…” Zura’s normally shining gaze dulled for the slightest of moments. Dealla grimaced, turning her head towards the ground as she did so. It was apparent that she was in the process of recalling memories best left unspoken.

“Anyway. I thought I should come and pay my respects.” Zura said as she smiled. Even her melancholy moments were beautiful to behold -- at least in Agni’s eyes. The group of people crowded around each other, largely in part due to the scene caused just minutes earlier. Merri and Ariadna were both dressed to attend the service as well, missing was Gates who decided to stay back with Gigi.

Oliver was given charge of the chapel in Vivian’s absence, leaving Dealla,Agni, Katrin, Vivian, Merri and Ariadna to attend the event. After some minutes the crowd began to quiet down. It was now mid morning and the air was quite crisp. Those gathered turned their attention towards the front of the group -- or rather the statue and those crowded nearest to it.

Agni noticed that Dealla stepped forward at this time and took her place next to Sypha, the Light Weaver. Then the ceremony began in earnest.

A young man she’d never seen before stepped forward and began to speak.

“We are, all of us, second born. Newly arrived in a new world and thrust into this strange life against monsters. Risking life and limb, for profit-- for fun or to protect the things most dear to us. Despite our many differences, our classes, our credences -- this is the single charge we have in common. Protect this world and all its inhabitants from the creatures which lurk in the shadows.

A few days ago, one such group of adventurers that dedicated their lives to doing so passed on. Guiding Light. Their chapel was committed to clearing shards, protecting us from the expansion and dangerous creatures that might appear because of it. They lost their battle, but not the fight. The fight is for us, the remaining to continue.

All present, lift your hands , bow your heads, kneel -- no matter the method, show your respect. Show your reverence for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. That we might show them our resolve, that we might share with them our wishes. May the light follow and keep them in all their days to come. Wherever they may be.”

After the man finished speaking Agni watched as countless people, hundreds, nearly a thousand lifted their hands or bowed their heads in prayer. A strange sensation began to fill the air, almost as if the very particles of air itself were beginning to weep. Then she watched as hundreds of particles of light magic floated upwards. They moved towards the large statue and began to gather at a central point within the spherical hole atop it.

The sight was sobering and all encompassing. It was clear to her that nearly everyone gathered in the space owed something to those who lost their lives on a deep personal level. And even if they didn’t, they could relate. Although she and Katrin never spoke of it, death was a very real consequence of the lives they were currently leading. Agni felt sure that this sentiment held true for everyone present. Each of them had someone they valued and held dear. They all realized that they might not be present for the next ceremony, deemed as recipients of what little comfort the left behind could offer.

She herself had been dragged into the situation due to a twist of fate, yet her own harrowing experiences in the mists of the red shard caused Agni to feel thankful. She too contributed, bowing her head and clasping her hands together.

*How long has it been since I prayed..for anything?* She thought, even as tears began to wet her cheeks. She could feel a tiny portion of mana energy seep out, from her heart. She realized this was her “intent”, her wishes, thoughts or purpose infused into that energy. She could feel it being pulled outwards, gently like a feather on the wind. In her mind's eye she saw the light floating upwards, caught upon an endlessly gentle wind that carried it along with every other light.

After several more moments of silence Agni opened her eyes. The group of Light Weavers at the front of the ceremony were busy using their abilities to guide the mana to its destination, the brightly glowing orb of magical energy that contained the wishes of everyone nearby.

The young speaker then turned his attention towards one person in particular. He smiled, though his eyes also looked exceedingly sad. He then nodded his head and stepped away from his spot, allowing another to take his place.

It was Dealla.

The sight of the dragon-kin was both awe inspiring and heart breaking. The expression on her face was that of someone truly pained. She clasped Chloe’s remaining remnants, a pendant, in both hands -- almost as if it were the focal point of an unsaid prayer. It was apparent to the succubus that Dealla was barely keeping her grief contained, despite traces of tears streaming down her cheeks.

Finally, after one deep sigh Dealla began to speak.

“I was lost. I was..unruly. I was difficult. I wasn’t as kind as I should have been. But they accepted me anyway. There are many things I could say at the moment. That I regret being here, that I don’t feel worthy of the gift of life I still hold onto. Instead, I just want to say that I’m a better person because of the ones who accepted me for who I am.”

The sight of Dealla fiercely clenching her hands together, struggling through her words and fighting tears made the succubus’ heart wrench. The silence from everyone looking on was that of people hanging upon every word, while simultaneously identifying.

“Thank you all for coming. Guiding Light would have appreciated it.” Dealla said as she placed the pendant around her neck and bowed her head deeply, for a rather long time. She then nodded towards the speaker and returned to her spot nearby.

“This is the culmination of our hope. Our sincere wishes that our thoughts and ideas reach you. And keep you in this life, the next and every life beyond.” The speaker bowed his head and closed his eyes, offering his own prayer as the Light Weavers released their technique. The orb of magical energy began to separate into hundreds of thousands of energy.

Agni thought that perhaps her eyes were playing tricks on her at first, for she noticed a peculiar thing. The energy began to take on dozens of shapes. Some resembled milkweed seeds which bobbed and floated through the air, others turned into butterflies and still more retained the shape of orbs. All of the constructs floated upwards into the sky, making their way into the distance until they were never to be seen again.

35