Chapter 5: The Mystical Scarlet (Part 1)
244 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sunset was closing in, a few houses from the village were finally on sight. At last, she has returned, a smile of relief shone on her face. Her pace wasn’t fast, a bit slower than she usually walks. That was because she was matching the pace of the tiny creatures which were guiding her back.

There were so many of them that Rume may need a few minutes to count them all. It was like an army escorting their superior. Along the way, they encountered no beasts which was a great relief. She didn’t know what would happen if those wolf-like creatures would appear again. She could run, but she was more concerned about the tiny creatures called the Vilicus.

They were slow to walk, not only that, but they seemed so fragile. They might not even be able to defend themselves, and with their slow walking speed, they will undoubtedly be easy prey to those wolves. Still, they were not made up of meat but rather, made of plant stem. Thus, the wolves might not be interested to pay any attention to them. Still, it was hard to say for sure, they might just attack the Vilicus on a whim.

In contrast, on the way back, the path they used had Rume confused. She was sure they used the same path of which Rume took before ending up falling to the slope. In fact, she even saw the same slope. But they were able to use a proper path on the way back to the village, but the next moment, the path was gone when she turned back in an attempt to settle her confusion.

It was weird.

Maybe she was just mistaken.

After a few moments, a few meters before reaching the village, the Vilicus stopped in their tracks. Noticing this, Rume turned to face them, baffled.

“What’s wrong?”

She asked as she kneeled down.

One of them raised its hand to point towards the village. Rume turned her head to look at the direction where it was pointing at.

“Yes, that is the village…”

She looked at all of them, appearing to not have any intention to move. It was just then she realized why they stopped.

“Oh, you can’t go any further?”

A Vilicus nodded its head.

“Oh, then, thank you very much for helping me! Is it possible for me to see you again?”

The Vilicus were very friendly towards her, it made her happy. In addition, they were one of one of the most wonderful things Rume encountered. So she was wondering if they can meet again.

One of the vilici tilted its head before nodding.

“Yes?”

A vilicus nodded again.

“Great!” She expressed her excitement with a broad smile and shining eyes. “Then, see you next time!”

She rushed off to the village while waving back to the Vilicus while they waved back at her. Never had before someone waved at her warmly. Never had before someone been friendly to her. Well, never since that tragedy.

After her feet stepped out of the boundary of the forest, she inhaled deeply and sighed in relief. As she looked around however, she saw a familiar face. A woman wearing a pointy hat, crouching on the ground with her hand touching the soil. At the same time, there was a glow from where she was touching.

Rume’s eyes widened, the glow was just for a short moment, but she couldn’t explain how. Was there a torch or something in her hand? No, there was nothing in her hand. Maybe it was just her imagination.

As the woman stood up, she immediately noticed Rume. For a moment she furrowed her brow for some reason.

“... I thought there was no one here,” The woman said quietly, which Rume never got to hear.

“Miss Lein?” Rume called out to her, remembering quite well the woman’s name.

“Oh, it’s just you Rume,” Lein finally eased up upon realizing it was Rume who saw her.

Lein waved her hand as she approached Rume with a gleaming smile. “What are you doing here? I didn’t see anyone here before.”

Lein observed her and tried to guess where she came in from. Highly likely she didn’t come from within the village, she just made sure there was no one coming, especially when it was almost dark already. Still, she might have avoided her eyes.

Yet, there was another answer to it.

“Could it be you came from the forest?”

Rume nodded, “Yes, that’s right.”

“What were you doing there?”

“I came to get some herbs.”

“Herbs? For what?”

“For medicine. Oh by the way Miss Lein, what were you doing there? What was that light?”

Lein winced,”O-Oh! You saw that, huh? Nothing, I was just looking at something. Oh yeah Rume, what is the medicine for?”

Lein had to change the topic immediately. Rume was a little girl, it was very fortunate for Lein that it was just her that saw what she did. A child would not easily notice that she was trying to change the subject and was avoiding something.

“It’s for Mr. Esmon, I need to go now, so please excuse me.”

“All right then, see y—”

“Rume!”

A third voice’s shout echoed and reached their ears. They immediately turned to the source of that sound, it was there an old man was walking towards them with a cane in hand to help him walk.

“Who’s that?”

“Mr. Esmon…”

Rume rushed to Esmon with a panicking expression.

“Mr. Esmon! What are you doing here?! You shouldn’t even be walking.”

In front of Esmon, Rume expressed her concern.

“Rume, I’m glad you’re alright! Where were you?!” said Esmon as he placed his hand on Rume’s head.

“In the forest, to get the herbs.”

“Uh, yes I know that. But that’s not what I meant.”

“... Yes, sorry…”

“You were gone for hours, I was worried.”

“... sorry… But Mr. Esmon, you were not supposed to come here.”

It was at that moment that Lein caught up to Rume, having only to walk. Well, a lady like her shouldn’t run off, it was unladylike, Lein believed.

“You were gone for about half a day, of course I would come searching for you. I felt a little better so I immediately got up to find you.”

“Oh…”

“Rume? Who is he? If I were to assume, he’s the one you’re bringing the herbs for?”

Rume turned to look at Lein.

“Yes, he’s Mr. Esmon.”

“Ah, Mr. Esmon. My name is Lein, pleased to make your acquaintance,” Lein said in a modest tone, bowing respectfully to the elderly.

“L-Likewise. Hm, are you the one who helped Rume?”

“No, you are mistaken. I also just saw Rume emerge from the forest.”

“Oh I see — *cough* *cough*” All of a sudden he began to cough vigorously.

“See? This is why you shouldn’t have left your bed.”

“I agree with Rume, Mr. Esmon. If you enter the forest while sick, you could have met one terrible fate. That was reckless of you.”

Lein expressed her opinion without holding back. It was her opinion based on concern. Everything would turn for the worst if he just foolishly went into the forest. Lein felt she needed to say that, for the old man’s sake.

“... You’re right, it’s a mistake on my part. But I can’t bear to just lay down while Rume might be in danger.”

“I’m sorry I was gone for a long time Mr. Esmon. I didn’t expect for it to happen.”

“Still that was too long when you were just supposed to get the herbs. So what happened?”

“Um…”

Rume contemplated whether she should mention that she was chased by wolf-like beasts. But if she did, Esmon would likely forbid her to go into the forest ever again. Plus, she didn’t want to make him worry any more that he already was, it would be bad for his health. She will likely need to come back to the forest to get some more herbs in the future.

“Actually, I got lost… But I promise it won’t happen again, I already memorised the path I should take.”

Esmon was surprised then sighed in relief that Rume came back safe.

“Thank goodness you managed to come back.”

“Yes! Thanks to the people who helped me!” she said loudly in excitement. “ — or, is it fine to call them people?”

Esmon was puzzled, so he asked Rume, “What do you mean?”

“There were these tiny plant things, you see! They were so cute! They guided me back to the village!” She was even more excited when she was explaining what happened. “The Vilicus they were called.”

Lein jerked her head to look intensively at Rume, her eyes narrowed.

“Vilicus...? There are such creatures there? I never heard of them before,” said Esmon as he recalled what he knew about the forest. “In any case, we should go back now, it’s getting dark. You will stay the night in my house.”

“Okay.”

“Say, Rume.”

Lein called out to her in a low voice.

“Yes, Miss Lein?”

“Are you free tomorrow?”

“Huh? Um… I guess so. Why?”

“To be honest, I’m interested in what you call the Vilicus. If I remember correctly, they are tiny plant-like creatures, with feet and hands. They usually come in groups, and quite friendly, am I correct?”

“Yes! There were a lot of them, and they were so friendly to me.”

“I want to see them. Can you show them to me?”

“I could, but I’m not sure we can see them immediately.”

“That’s fine, we might get lucky tomorrow. Is it fine that I take her out for a walk, Mr. Esmon?”

“Isn’t it dangerous?”

“There is no need to worry. I’m a mage, I will protect Rume if danger arises.”

“... mage..?” Rume whispered to herself, she has heard of them before, but did not know the entire idea of what a mage is.

“Y-You? A mage? Ah, that explains why I never saw you before. You must be travelling.”

“Yes I am.”

“But, I’m not sure if —”

“But Mr. Esmon, I want to see them again.”

Rume pulled Esmon’s clothes.

“Mr. Esmon. I assure you, Rume will be under my protection.”

Esmon was not sure if he could trust the mage. But, Rume was looking up at him with pleading eyes. Plus, the mage before him didn’t feel like a bad person. And, it would be good for Rume to be a little carefree for a while after all she went through.

In addition, Rume was just a normal young child. There was no reason for a mage to have any ulterior motive towards the little girl. However...

“The answer is still no. But, I’ll think about it. I first need to speak with Rume.”

“... I understand,” Lein said with a smile. “But if you change your mind, please meet me here mid morning.”

Esmon nodded.

“Let’s go, Rume.”

“Okay,” Rume turned to look at Lein. “See you! Miss Lein.”

Lein waved at the little girl as they walked away together with the old man. The mage had a delighted smile on her face.

Are you here?

Esmon sat on the chair while his hands rested on the table. A basket filled with herbs laid on top of the table. A little girl poured water into a pot, filling it halfway. A fire had been prepared before she poured the water into the pot. With the lid on, she placed the steel pot onto the fire.

She returned to the table and placed some herbs into a wooden bowl.

“Rume. Shouldn’t you wash the herbs first?”

“Ah! That’s right.”

She rushed to wash the herbs on a bucket of water. The pieces of dirt drifted off from the leaves. Satisfied, Rume went back to place the herbs back into the wooden bowl. She took a flat at the point piece of wood and began crushing the herbs within the bowl.

However, it seemed she realized something, so she began rushing her work.

“... I should have crushed the herbs first…”

Esmon smiled. She must have realized she should have crushed the herbs first before starting boiling water.

“Then it’s good that you realized that. I suppose you won’t make the same mistake again?”

“Yes!”

It was her first time creating herbal medicines. She only saw Esmon do the work, so she never experienced it firsthand, so it was only expected she overlooked some parts. Mistakes were inevitable.

“For the meantime, do it with fewer quantities.”

“Is that alright?”

“Of course.”

“Okay.”

She took out a few herbs from the bowl. With fewer herbs remaining, it will be easier and faster to crush.

“Um, when should I stop again…?” She muttered to herself.

“When the smell is strong enough to tickle your nose, then it’s fine.”

Rume smelled the crushed herbs.

“Not yet enough…”

“If you think so, then keep crushing them until it’s enough for you—*cough*”

Suddenly, Esmon coughed vigorously several times as he covered his mouth.

“Mr. Esmon!”

Rume rushed towards Esmon, fear evident in her eyes. Seeing this, Esmon forced his throat to stop coughing.

“I’m alright. Just a passing cough, that’s all.”

He smiled to assure the little girl. She sighed in relief.

“... okay…”

She returned to crushing the herbs. Satisfied with the smell, she went to the pot and poured all the herbs inside then returned the lid. Now all that was left to do was wait until the herbs’ essence mixed with the boiling water.

These herbs were a special kind of herbs useful as medicines. Esmon himself discovered its efficiency and effectiveness when he was young along with some help. Of course, before he had a human drink it, he had to test it on a sick animal, for instance a cow, or a horse. Fortunately, there were some that agreed with his experiments.

Rume sat in front of Esmon.

“Rume, how did you meet that mage?”

“You mean Miss Lein…?”

“Yes.”

“Um, I met her at the market earlier… this morning.”

Esmon raised an eyebrow.

“You seemed to like her, considering that you only just met her.”

“...”

She was silent, she probably didn’t know how to respond to that. What made Esmon wonder however, was how Rume came to like the mage.

“So? Why do you like her? What did she do for you to like her?”

She was always somewhat scared when talking to other people, especially to strangers.

“... She helped me from the other kids… who were throwing rocks at me.”

Esmon’s breath was stuck on his throat. But Rume wasn’t finished yet.

“Also, she bought my berries.”

“She? Where’s your usual buyer?”

“They weren’t there…”

“I see. So that’s why you like her?”

“Yes.”

If that mage, Lein, acted that way to the little girl, maybe while also hearing what the people call her, then she must be a kind person. Rume never had someone been that kind to her ever since the tragedy she went through.

Esmon began to see the mage in high regard.

Is this trust towards their own savior?

It may be that way to Rume.

“Then what about those you call...what were those again? Vilu— Vil…?”

“Vilicus.”

“Yes, that. Why did you look so intent on seeing them again?”

“...... They were...friendly to me…”

Esmon understood her feelings. It has been a long time since she had someone friendly towards her.

She longed for friends.

He could come with Rume to the forest. However, he would only be a heavy burden.

Keeping her bound within his grasp, never going out there wouldn’t do a lot of good for her, Esmon thought. She ought to have freedom, free to do what she wanted. Like how Esmon never restrained himself in the past and did what he wanted.

They were going in the forest, but a mage could handle any wild animals or beasts that may come, although there was a very high chance they wouldn't encounter any.

Esmon heaved a deep sigh.

“What do you want to do, Rume?”

“...Huh?”

“Do you want to go?”

Her eyes wandered around as she hesitated to speak.

“Go on, speak what you want.”

“....I… I want to go.”

Esmon smiled.

“Very well. Then I’ll allow you.”

Her eyes shone brightly in joy.

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Thank you very much!”

She suddenly rushed to Esmon and gave him a big hug.

“B-But there are conditions.”

“That’s okay. Hehe.”

Rume chuckled in delight and joy.

10