Chapter 6: Dragon and Mage (Part 1)
225 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Almost half an hour had passed, finally they felt like they were getting closer to their destination. Rume and Lein could have reached there a little earlier, except they had no idea where it was. If not for their guides’ tiny legs, they would have arrived there already.

It can’t be helped, their guides were tiny, so it was inevitable that it would take longer than it should have. Lein had occasional urges to complain about their speed, but that was unreasonable to do so.

On the way however, even though the Vilicus were guiding them, Lein was a bit cautious and wary towards them. Not because they might attack her — not that it would be a problem — but the chance that they might pull off some underhanded tricks to her. Lein knew these creatures all too well, and she knows how common it was for them to play her around, despicable little critters.

But that said, it would seem there was no trick at all.

Lein could feel the strangeness in the air. A barrier must have been planted in the area. But in any case, it wasn’t anything dangerous.

Lein turned her head to look at Rume. A number of Vilicus was surrounding her. A couple sitting on both her shoulders, and annoyingly one on her head. A lot were also a bit playful when walking beside her. It would seem that they like her.

The Vilicus were bothersome, playful creatures.

Plus isn’t it too heavy for a little girl like her to have those sitting on her? Well, perhaps not, they were not that heavy anyway. Imagine the weight of a hand’s length thick vine’s weight, they should be that heavy. Well, Rume has no complaints whatsoever, so perhaps it was fine.

“Hey are we there yet?” Lein asked as if she was a child losing her patience.

Well, she was not exactly losing her patience. In fact she was just annoying the little green creatures. Just retaliating against them, even for just a bit. One of them almost slapped her beautiful face, after all.

Even if just one did it, all of them were already involved. The mistake of one is the mistake of them all.

“Hey hey! Come now, at least show some reaction to answer my question.”

They were ignoring her, so she leaned towards a group while speaking. Yet, they still moved along as though Lein was never there in front of them at all. Instead of the Vilicus, Lein got annoyed instead.

Tch! They’re good.

Perhaps a retreat was the wise decision for the moment. Thus, she stepped back and behaved.

“Haha! Careful!”

Rume suddenly said loudly, Lein turned around and found a green cursed piece of living vine. Lein formed a bitter face. It appears that it may have fallen from Rume’s head.

But as if. That was ridiculous, that little critter just wanted to catch her attention so it stood up and deliberately fell off. Sneaky critter it was.

Lein wanted to confront it, but that was not important. Besides, Rume appeared to be enjoying herself, evident on her broad smile and cheery eyes. Lein couldn’t help but smile ever so slightly.

A moment later, in the direction they moved towards, she caught a glimpse of some sort of open space. As they got closer, the open area became clearer.

A glade.

Lein formed a broad sharp smile.

When they got out of the forest, they were greeted by a giant tree with orbs of light dancing around it. Then wrapped around the tree, as if sleeping, a beast of great power laid. Lein glared at it.

After all this time, I finally found you.

They stopped halfway from the tree. As though detecting their presence, the dragon opened its eyes. At that moment, the Dragon’s and the Mage’s eyes met. A pressure emanating from both their stares without anyone even noticing. No one blinked, but stared at each other as if looking deep into their soul.

“Hello again! Miss Galeila!”

Oblivious to the situation, Rume interfered with the both of them. Because of that, the two powerful beings snapped back to reality.

“Rume? You came back.”

The dragon gently said to the little girl.

“Yes. I’m sorry if I’m troubling you.”

“No. There is no need for that. I don’t mind having you here.”

“Really? Thank you!” Rume gave the dragon a grateful smile.

“But it appears you have brought a visitor, Rume.”

“Yes! She is Miss Lein.”

The dragon narrowed her eyes.

“Oh, yes I know. Lein… Lein Elclareta. The Scarlet Sorceress.”

“Huh? You know her?” Rume asked in confusion.

Lein approached the little girl and held both her shoulders.

“Rume, what about you hang out with those guys for a minute?” She pointed at the Vilicus, they moved away from them during the exchange. “See? They’re calling for you,” they were waving their hands so it was definitely what they were trying to say. “I just need to talk about some important matters with this big guy over here, okay?”

Rume glanced back at the dragon, then back to Lein. Still puzzled, she seemed to hesitate, but later agreed and went to join the Vilicus.

Now with Rume a bit distant, Lein glared back at the dragon.

“Hello there, Galeila. It’s been a while.”

“Yes. It’s good to see you.”

Lein’s face contorted.

“Good to see me?! Seriously?! Don’t you even dare say that to me!”

Lein shouted at Galeila with displeasure and anger in her eyes. Her lady-like manner vanished altogether.

“Four years. You left four years ago without even a word! How could you do that?”

Lein expected a reply, however, Galeila didn’t speak.

“I searched for you, you know. For years, I wondered why you left. And yet, here you are! Dozing off under a tree!”

The dragon averted her eyes away from Lein, then finally speaking.

“... You were away when I left, and considering the size of this continent, you could be anywhere… Because of that, I never got to say goodbye.”

Lein on the other hand however, didn’t take in this excuse.

“True. But you could have said something. Maybe a letter? Send a messenger? It’s a shock you know! Suddenly finding out that you left the council... leaving me behind.”

Lein’s facial expression was about to break down into tears. However, as an adult she held it back in.

“I searched as I travelled. Hoping to at least find a trace of my dear friend…and eventually, finally be reunited.”

She stepped forward to get closer. Staring intently at Galeila’s eyes.

“Please, tell me. Why did you leave me behind?”

Galeila stared quietly. Perhaps thinking about where to start. Or maybe trying to understand her friend’s feelings.

“Very well. I owe you an explanation.”

Hearing this, Lein gained a bit of her composure back.

“Firstly, there are a few reasons why I left… But I think I should start at the most crucial reason. As I am the dragon of nature, the spirits called out to me. A new World Tree is about to grow, as I’ve done back then, I must also protect this one.”

“Then I suppose this, this new World Tree is this one here?”

“Indeed. To ensure the Tree’s proper growth, I must oversee it. The sapling needs protection from dangerous elements. Therefore, I must move out immediately. That’s why I vanished all of a sudden.”

“Does everyone know about this?”

“Only one of the other dragons.”

“... I see.”

“I told him to never tell anyone about it.... Maybe that’s why he didn’t tell you.”

“What do you mean maybe? It definitely is. Besides, why would a dragon lord even tell such a secret to a human like me.”

“I suppose so...”

Dragon Lords are one of the highest beings in this continent. Also one of the most powerful. They rarely meddle with humans, a sorcerer like Lein was no exception. The dragons would only normally interact with high-class personnel. For instance, nobles, monarchs, and other high council members.

“So is that the crucial reason?”

“... Yes.”

“Then what is the other reason.”

The dragon didn’t immediately speak. For some reason she was reluctant to say anything. But in the end decided to tell Lein what she wanted.

“Actually, I wanted to leave the council.”

“And why is that?”

“... It’s not for me, I think. Politics, diplomacy and everything. I’m not fond of it. It is tiring. I only joined to form the alliance of nations, it’s not like it was out of something I truly want.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, it’s a bother. Why spend it on something like that when I can spend my time on something more productive.”

Lein formed a somewhat bitter expression after hearing those words.

“Ahem — hearing it from a powerful dragon like you is….” She smiled ever so slightly.

“Hm. In any case, Lein. I am so sorry…” Galeila gazed straight at Lein.

Lein frowned, with a mix of sadness in her eyes. It wasn’t easy, your friend suddenly disappearing. Galeila was the only one close to her when she was young and a hopeless girl. A talentless girl she was. Galeila was the one who helped her and made her realize what she wanted in life. It was what led her into what she was now.

A Sorceress, among one of the strongest magic casters in the continent.

Ultimately, for Lein, she was not only a close friend. It was way more than that.

At any rate, fighting further would lead to nothing. What was important was she finally found her. She was no child to keep being outraged even after they finally saw each other again.

“... You really are selfish, you know. You left me all on my own. It’s still cruel of you. You should’ve at least given a little time for me...”

“Yes. I may have been selfish…”

“But, now I know the reasons, I sort of understand you now. But that doesn’t mean my grudges are all gone...”

“...I understand.”

Lein slowly approached Galeila, her eyes lowered, avoiding the dragon’s gaze. As they got close to each other, Lein spread both her arms.

Galeila’s eyes widened. She felt Lein’s arms around one side of her head. Lein’s warm embrace left Galeila dumbfounded. The dragon wanted to hug back, but of course she could not. Her arms were folded under her feet, other than that, her dragon paws could not hug a tiny human. All she could do was cherish her tender hug.

“I missed you, Galeila.”

“... I missed you too, Lein.”

“The most important thing is that I finally found you…” She whispered.

A joyful smile radiated, resembling a child's finally reuniting with its parent.

14