Chapter 8: Torches & Ashes (Part 1)
295 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a bright sunny day. The crowd was doing their usual business. Group of friends conversing with each other. Couples walked together side by side as they held each other’s hands. Merchants prepare their products to be sold as they bring their carts to the market. Children laughing as they talked to each other, sharing events that previously happened to them.

One of these groups was where Rume was with.

“I went with my father to the forest to hunt. Wild animals sure are scary.”

A boy shared a story which happened yesterday. He sounded proud as he announced. Perhaps that was expected as not many children can go out into the forest.

The wild animals they were referring to were wild boars. However, those boars would only attack in self defense.

“Sure are. But you on the other hand hid behind your father like a puppy. You were really scared that it was actually funny, I thought you were gonna cry.”

Another boy added as he teased the boy with a smirk. The first boy clicked his tongue in annoyance as the other boy laughed.

“Hah! Don’t go hiding how you acted. You stood there frozen lookin’ like you were about to shit your pants! Hahaha!”

“What now?! At least I stood there unlike how of a coward you are!”

They glared at each other. Normally, one would act to immediately stop the fighting before it gets worse. However, they were close friends, it was not like they were going to punch each other on the go. It was just the normal and usual occasional teasing.

Thus, a girl in the group sighed.

“That’s enough, you two. And Stef, watch your language. It’s inappropriate you know.”

“But Vanie…”

“Ah ah! Besides, I don’t think it’s cowardly to hide behind your father. After all, it’s your first time, and I’m sure wild animals are scary, so I understand.”

“Vaniiieee…” Stef gazed at Vanie with a teary eyes at the same time blushing. It meant a lot to be understood by her.

Vanie turned her eyes to the other boy.

“As for you Ryse, you should ease up on the patronizing though.”

“It’s not my intention to!” He averted his gaze away while frowning.

“Still, it’s understandable that you froze.”

“I didn’t freeze.”

“Whatever you say… But I’m sure next time it won’t happen…” Vanie gave the effort to comfort Ryse, but it appears it wasn’t able to sway him. Or perhaps it was just out of Vanie’s perception that it really did.

“Yeah yeah,” Ryse removed the frown on his face then turned on the other girl in the group that was all silent all this time. “Rume? You alright?”

Rume, amidst the entire exchange, was showing no reaction whatsoever. She just looked at everyone. That was because she was mostly paying attention to herself, she might not have even heard most of what they were talking about.

Rume was concentrating on her own breathing. Actually, all this time, she was breathing rapidly. However, did it in a way that no one would notice. She felt tired. It was still early in the morning and was already tired. She wasn't that frightened however, for it had always been like this ever since she was born. Although, getting tired early in the morning was very rare of an occurrence.

When her name was called, it snapped her back entirely to reality.

“Uh,” She held both her hands together. “Mm, I’m fine. No problem.”

There was no need to let her friends know of her current feeling. It was not their problem, it was her own. Besides, it was not like this never happened before. It will pass, surely.

“You sure?” Ryse asked again, knowing about her condition.

Rume smiled to assure her friends looking at her with concern. Meanwhile, hiding the fact that she was feeling somewhat exhausted by waving her arms.

“Of course I’m sure!”

“Right… But you’re sweating a bit, stand still.”

Vanie approached her and took out a handkerchief from her pocket. She gently rubbed Rume’s forehead then along her cheeks.

“Shouldn’t let sweats be.”

“...Thank you Vanie.”

“There, much better?”

Rume gave a slow and faint nod, not a lot of strength was provided to it as if she was saving her own energy. But Rume has always been the gentle one when taking all kinds of actions.

“Great.”

Just then, Stef fixed his eyes on the handkerchief in Vanie’s hand.

“Hey, never seen that before. Also looks new. Newly made?”

“Oh yes! Just had it done yesterday. Finely made isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it looks great. Much better than the ones you sewn before.”

It may not be something that can be called as luxurious, but in villager’s standards, it was finely made.

“Thank you! I feel like I’m getting better at it. Soon I’ll be making my own little sewing shop! I’m sure in the future, this village will develop into something great! Then eventually, my business will spread out into the world!”

She was enthusiastic about it as she spread her arms. Her friends, except for Rume, formed a bitter smile. It was not because of her ambitions, but because of her actions and way of declaration.

In contrast to the boys’ reaction, Rume gave a wide smile with her eyes glimmering in anticipation.

“Incredible! I’ll pray that you’ll get successful, Vanie!”

Rume’s voice may be just as loud as a normal loudness of the other children’s voice. But for her, this was already her shouting.

“Thank you thank you for your support.”

Then Ryse interjected.

“Me! I want to become a knight! I will guard this village with all my might!”

“That would be great, Ryse!”

Ryse blushed at Rume’s words. He didn’t expect her to say that, even though he wanted to hear her say something like that to him.

“Hm. As for me. I think I will be a merchant! The one that travels across the world. Forming different businesses across the land. And most of all, I might be able to better my father’s store, make it bigger! Yes that would be great.”

“Amazing, Stef!” Rume said.

“Yeah. Maybe we could help each other. We might even become partners.”

“P-p-partners?” Stef stuttered after hearing what Vanie said. “Of course, why not!”

Perhaps somewhat waiting for Rume to continue the topic, there was a moment of silence. But it didn’t come, instead Rume was looking at them with puzzlement.

“Rume, what do you want to be when you grow up?” Vanie said to her.

Rume blinked several times.

“... I haven’t really thought about it.”

Of course, how could she? Especially with her current condition, this weak condition, what could she achieve? She would easily tire in the smallest of chores. There was nothing to aspire to be. At the moment, she quickly thought of what she could do in this village considering her condition, but nothing came to mind.

In addition, with her weak state, the thought of she would not live long crossed her mind. Although, everytime it happens, she would just shake it off her mind. Was there even a chance for her to be healed?

As these thoughts were coming into her, she felt her body was getting heavy. Her knees felt weak, close to trembling. For a moment, everything went blurry. Her chest felt like it tightened as she caught up to her breath. In her rapid inhale and exhaling, she didn’t feel any better.

“Really? If that’s the case, then I’m sure you’ll realize what you want to be in the future!” Upon noticing that Rume was showing traces of gloominess, Vanie attempted to cheer her up. Though, they were not truly sure if it was effective or not. Meanwhile seemingly noticing Rume’s struggle. But she thought it was only a normal occurrence.

“... Right.”

Rume said quietly while giving her friends a somewhat innocent gaze but a glint of sadness mixed within. Was there even a chance that she could realize what she aspires to be? It might, but she will likely be powerless to do anything to achieve it. These doubts dwell inside her heart.

She wanted to do a lot of things. But her weak body only proved to be a hindrance in her every goal. She wanted to run fast, play more, help more, go beyond the village, and many more. But she couldn’t do it, it wasn’t only that she was not allowed to, but also because she lacks the capabilities to do so.

It was silent for a moment before Stef spoke.

“Sooo… what you guys wanna do today?”

The group looked at each other, waiting for someone to suggest something. But in the end, no one did.

“I don’t know…” said Ryse.

“Me too. Haven’t planned anything.” Stef said so and leaned his back on the wall.

This occasionally happens, as to everybody else.

“What about we play hide and seek?” Vanie suggested.

“That again? Can’t we have something new to do? But well, sure it’s a great game to do. But if it were night time, it could’ve been a new experience.” said Ryse.

“Yeah. Surely we can do something else.” added Stef.

With nothing to do, all of them sighed, except for one. The one who has not been paying attention to the exchange. She had been lowering her head for a while now. Her head felt heavy.

“Oh I know! I planted some new flowers. We could go to my place until we could think of something to do.”

“Great suggestion, Vanie! Aight let’s go!” Stef immediately responded.

“Fine. It’s not like we have anything else to do.” Ryse said.

As they were about to move out, they noticed Rume was not moving at all.

“Rume.”

Vanie’s call caught Rume’s attention.

“Huh? Yes?”

“We’re going now.”

A bit confused, Rume failed to respond immediately. Recalling a bit of what caught her attention of their conversation earlier, she didn’t get all of it, but she got the main idea.

“Oh yes, l-let’s go.”

She stepped forward. As she did, she felt that her feet were heavy, her body felt like it was going to fall. At the same time, she felt lightheaded. As she moved forward a bit following behind her friends, the world turned and everything around her became blurry. She panted as her chest tightened. The world, everything around her distorted. Her head hurt, her feet trembled.

Her body weakened intensely. And before everyone could realize it, Rume collapsed to the ground. Only when her friends heard the sound of her falling, they turned around only to see Rume unconsciously lying on the soil.

“Rume!”

“What the— ?!”

“Rum—”

Vanie, Stef, and Ryse shouted in panic.

 

Thanks for reading!

Also, please support me on RoyalRoad. Need followers :)

Link:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/35506/embracing-tears

 

11