Chapter 8: Torches & Ashes (Part 2)
216 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She felt cold yet there was neither wind nor draft. She felt sweat on her forehead, but the temperature she felt inside wasn’t the cause. She attempted to lift her hand, but her strength left her, all she could manage was a twitch of her fingers.

She felt so tired while panting — it would be more appropriate to describe her as exhausted. But she hasn't even done any straining activity yet. Thus, it could only be her unknown illness.

“How is she?”

She heard a woman’s voice. The voice alone gave her comfort as this voice was what she treasured the most. However, the trace of concern in it caused her to grow anxious. She wanted to see the face of the owner of this voice.

She forced her eyes open, yet it was so heavy. The weakness seemed to have overwhelmed her entire body. But, it wasn’t enough to stop her from laying eyes on the person she held dear.

She smiled slightly as she finally had the woman in her sights.

“... M-mama…”

She weakly said. 

Her mother with black hair, looked at her. Her brown eyes were full of concern as she caressed Rume’s forehead gently.

“Rume, don’t speak, rest… So how’s her condition, Esmon?”

Her mother turned to look at an old man who was checking on Rume.

“Her sudden fever got worse than before… I could give her some medicine, but…”

“But what?!”

Her mother’s eyes shed tears. Rume could feel her mother’s hands trembling on her forehead. As Rume looked at her mother’s eyes closely, she saw that fear was all over it.

It has always been like this, everytime, when this kind of situation happens, her mother always breaks into fear, and it pains Rume’s heart. Rume was always the source of her mother’s distress, ever since she was born into this world. All because of this weak body of hers.

If only she had a normal body, something like this could not have happened. She would no longer have troubled her mother so much.

Not in any moment did Rume want to see her mother’s troubled expression. She didn’t want to trouble her mother because of her anymore.

Esmon averted his eyes to Rume then back to her mother.

“The previous medicine I provided only helped a little, but now, it doesn't appear to be working…”

“Then what should we do Esmon? Is there a way? There must be a medicinal herb that could work!” Her mother exclaimed in frantic.

However, Esmon shook his head with a pained expression.

“Lena… I’m… it has gotten —” Esmon eyes glanced at Rume for a second. “Lena, let’s talk outside.”

Esmon stood up then went outside without waiting for Lena to follow him.

“M-Mama…”

“Rume,” Lena held her daughter’s hand with both her hands. She tightly held unto it as though she didn’t want to ever let go. “It’s going to be alright, okay? There’s no need to worry, mama’s going to find a way.”

Lena kissed Rume’s forehead. Rume felt the sensation of her mother’s tears as they fell, causing a throbbing pain in her heart.

Lena slowly let go of Rume’s hand before going outside.

Her eyes getting heavier, Rume closed her eyes. In the darkness in her sealed eyes, the suffering face of her mother appeared. A single tear flowed down from her eye.

Does it always have to be like this? Why was she born this way? Why did her mother have to suffer?

Why was she even born?

“Rume. Wake up, Rume.”

Amidst her slumber, she heard her mother’s voice. Still weak from her illness, she wanted to keep her eyes closed to rest. However, it was her mother, so she forcibly opened them. The bedroom was still dim with only the flames of the lamp to chase away the darkness. It was probably in the middle of the night, but she didn't know exactly what time.

She turned her eyes towards her mother, looking down on her. What surprised Rume was the happy expression on her mother’s face. She was confused as to what the reason could be, but it was heartwarming to see her mother’s smile once again.

“Get up, Rume. I have good news to tell you.”

Her mother urged her to get up. Rume felt cold and heavy as she did her best to get up. With her mother supporting her as she lifted her back, she succeeded in rising.

“I have found a cure for your illness. You’ll be fine now.”

Tears came out at the edges of her mother’s eyes. It must be tears of joy. However, Rume formed a puzzled expression.

“How did you get a cure...?”

She asked in a weak and quiet voice. She assumed that it was already impossible for her to get some sort of medicine for her illness. 

Maybe Mr. Esmon made one?

She waited for her mother’s reply, expecting an answer. But all she got was a pat to the head.

“There’s no need to think about it. Here drink this.”

She held out a bottle in her hand. Inside there was some sort of yellow liquid. Not only that, the bottle appears to be finely made and so clean. However, that wasn’t important. What was most noticeable was the yellow liquid inside it.

Rume had never seen such a thing before. What was astonishing was that the liquid was glowing slightly. Rume couldn’t explain how it was possible for water to glow inside the bottle.

Her mother removed the cork seal from the bottle.

“Where did it come from?”

“It doesn’t matter. Drink now.”

Ordered by her mother to drink, she followed with no hesitation. Even though she had no idea what that could be, she still drank the questionable liquid. Her mother was the one she trusted the most in this world, there was no need for any more questions and hesitation.

The yellow liquid flowed down her throat, she drank until there was no more. Then she felt something warm inside her stomach. She felt so light, all heaviness vanished from her body.

All of a sudden, her body began to gradually glow in gold. She held out her hand and observed while all confused. The next moment, a blinding golden light suddenly erupted from her entire body, causing her mother to block her eyes with her hands, and Rume closing her eyes shut.

Rume felt like something was being sapped away from inside her. Due to the blinding light, she couldn’t point out where she felt it was going. A short moment later, as she felt like something was taken from her, the light gradually vanished and she could see her mother again.

Now, she felt like her body got lighter. Her head now clearer, the dizziness gone, and her fever vanished. She touched her own forehead, and the temperature was now normal. She never felt so great in her entire life.

“Mama...? I feel so good.”

She abruptly jumped off the bed, her legs stable. She smiled in joy. There was no struggle whatsoever as she stood up.

“Wow! Does this mean I can run? I can play more?”

She turned to her mother with energy she never showed to anyone before, not even to herself. Her mother smiled widely as she kneeled down and caressed Rume’s cheek.

“Yes. You are now healthy as any other. You can now run until you’re exhausted. You can play as many hours as you can. You can do a lot of things now. A lot more.”

Her mother’s eyes dampened in joy. Happy that her dear daughter was now like any normal child. Able to play with her friends, grow up normally, fully healthy. Perhaps someday, she can achieve her dreams. Finds a man that can love her. And perhaps, a family of her own.

Her mother embraced her tight, Rume felt a wave of comfort in her warm and soft body. Both of them had wide smiles of happiness as they savored this moment of miracle.

15