Chapter 8: Torches & Ashes (Part 3)
237 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Rume went out after getting permission from her mother. She was to meet with her friends as always at their usual spot. She hummed as she walked, prancing as she went forward. Her bright and energetic eyes met all who came across her.

Her arms swayed as she finally never had to limit herself to a minimum anymore. As time went on, she barely got any tired. She was completely beaming with energy. Those who knew of her plight gasped in surprise with some showing concern. But she immediately reassured them.

Shortly, she had arrived at a corner of the village square where their meeting spot was. Unsurprisingly, her friends were yet to arrive. She was so excited to tell the good news that she woke up earlier than usual.

She waited for a few minutes, after then, Ryse arrived before the others.

“R-Rume? You’re early.”

“Good morning, Ryse!” She said surprisingly with a louder voice than usual.

Ryse was caught by surprise a bit.

“Good morning…” he observed her for a moment, noticing her broad smile and beaming energy. “You seem different.”

“Really? But never mind that, Ryse!” She suddenly grabbed both his hands and held them shockingly tight. “I have great news to tell you guys!”

Ryse taken aback by the sudden turn of events failed to immediately respond.

“W-What are you talking about?! What news?”

Rume’s smile grew wider. She was so excited that to the point that her emotion could burst out at any moment.

Imagine what she could do now.

“I’ll tell you when the others arrive.”

“Fine. Must be a pretty good news for you to look so happy,” Ryse smiled.

Rume nodded vigorously, which she rarely did not so long ago. But it seems she could do it more often now. It was pretty hard in the past when she had such a weak body to do something so excessive. Everytime she sees others move a lot without holding back, she feels envious.

Some actions may be excessive and tiring, but they were fun.

She may have had fun several times, but all those experiences were limited. She never got to do anything to the fullest of her abilities.

They waited for a couple minutes before the two remaining friends finally arrived. The two were surprised to see that Rume arrived before them.

Vanie approached Rume.

“You’re early…”

“Actually, I was the first one here. Great, right?”

“Now that’s the first.” Stef said.

“I was just so excited to tell you good news!”

Vanie was taken aback by Rume’s sudden burst of energy. Her action held no restraints, and her voice was powerful and loud. Her eyes shining and face lit up with joy.

“You’re different today.”

“That’s because I am fully healed now!”

The three stood in silence, stunned by Rume’s words. It took a couple of blinks before they finally got to process everything.

“Wait, really?” Ryse asked.

“Really. I’m serious.”

Their eyes widened.

“Woah! Really! That’s amazing!”

“That’s great, Rume!”

“For real? I’m so happy for you!”

Ryse, Stef and Vanie bursted out their feelings after hearing such great news about their friend. Vanie took Rume in her arms, the corners of her eyes slightly dampened.

“But how?”

Vanie asked in curiosity. The rest also appeared to be confused as well. But no one can blame them. It was believed that Rume’s illness had no medicine to cure her whatsoever. If there was one, the best herbalist in the village could have already restored her a long time ago.

But now it seems that belief was wrong. There was medicine after all. But that still begs the question as to how.

“I don’t completely know how. But mama gave me medicine, and the next moment, I was cured!”

“Your mother? What did she give you?” Ryse asked her with squinted eyes, apparently still confused on the method.

“What else could it be, Ryse? A medicine, just like any medicine, you drink it.”

“Oh, of course. How dumb of me, hahaha! I’m just so surprised. But it doesn’t matter now. I suppose this time you’re now fully healthy. You have nothing to worry anymore, right?”

Ryse looked all relieved along with a wide smile.

“Yes! Now I can do more!”

Rume gave him a gaze so charming, and lit up with bliss. Ryse had to avert his eyes in embarrassment, perhaps he couldn’t handle her intent gaze.

“Then let’s see how far you can go, Rume! How about we play?”

Rume nodded vigorously at Vanie’s challenge.

Around noon, Rume and her friends stopped their activities and returned home. They had to take their lunch. Rume was all smiles as she walked with prancing steps back to her home. Strangely enough, even though she used a lot of energy during their games, she still had plenty of energy to spare.

Perhaps it was because she was so happy that she barely felt any fatigue at all. Rume finally got to play without holding back, she could run, jump and many more without fearing to collapse. Expending a load of energy in playing activities with her friends was the most fun she had experienced in her entire life. Even now, she longed to play more. But unfortunately, that was all they could do for today.

I’m so excited for tomorrow.

It was their daily routine — they would play the whole morning, go home before noon, then hang out next morning again. They could hang out and play the whole day, but it would end up in them being scolded by their parents.

Halfway to her home, she came across a familiar old man with a cane in hand to support himself as he walked. The old man raised his eyebrows upon seeing Rume striding, full of energy.

Rume stopped in front of the old man to greet him.

“Hello, Mr. Esmon!” She gave him a beaming smile.

“... Rume, are you alright?”

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“You were just sick yesterday.”

“Oh, I’m completely fine…”

Esmon squinted his eyes.

“Really now?”

Rume nodded her head. “Yes. By the way, did you visit mother?”

“Yes. I was supposed to check on you. But you weren’t there. She said you were fine now, which was something hard to believe. But now…” He looked intently and closely at Rume. “Seeing it for myself, you do look completely fine. Strangely so, it’s so sudden.”

“There is no need to worry, Mr. Esmon. I don’t feel sick at all. Please excuse me, I need to get back home.” She rushed forward. She must be quick, otherwise she’ll get a scolding. “See you later, Mr. Esmon!”

They waved at each other.

 

Rume stayed inside her house the entire afternoon. Occasionally helping her mother with chores. Her mother asked her how she was, double checking her condition. But she felt no problem at all. She told her that she felt so healthy like never before, and she had a lot of fun playing with her friends.

Her mother was all smiles, and happiness glimmered in her eyes. Rume felt like she was relieved of a heavy load in her chest and replaced with a pleasant warmth in her heart.

Does this mean she won’t be a heavy burden anymore?

Will they finally live together without agonizing over her illness?

Will life be peaceful from now on?

Rume asked those questions, but her immediate answer to all of those was ‘yes’, definitely. The biggest plight in both their lives was Rume’s illness, but now that it was gone, everything will be easier than before.

At the moment, it was night time, and Rume sat by the dining table while quietly humming. Her mother was cooking their dinner. Rume helped for a while earlier, but now that it was almost ready, she was urged by her mother to wait.

After a few minutes, her mother from the outside cooking, came in through the back door carrying the pot of food. Her hands covered with thick rags to protect from the heated metal. Rume immediately spread a thick rag on the table and her mother placed the hot pot on it.

Rume sniffed the warm soup.

Smells good.

“I put a lot of meat this time to celebrate, so eat up until your belly is full, okay?”

Rume nodded vigorously as she now felt her hunger even more.

“Thank you, mama!”

Her mother grabbed a pair of wooden bowls and spoon, and a single serving spoon. She placed a bowl and spoon in front of Rume. She gently served the soup to Rume’s bowl, along with plenty of meat and vegetables before her own bowl.

“So, how did your friends react after you told them you’re cured?”

Her mother initiated the conversation while they ate.

“...They couldn’t believe it at first. Actually, they were confused how that happened.”

“Are they now, I suppose that’s how anyone would react.” She smiled. “You’re playing tomorrow again?”

“Yup! Maybe also visit Vanie’s house. There are a lot of things I want to do~.”

“Such as?”

“Visit all my friends’ house… and oh also at least go out of the village, go to the forest, and many more.”

This time, her mother gave her strict eyes for some reason.

“That is fine. But I’ll think about whether I’ll allow you to go outside the village. Also, visit your friends’ house, huh.”

Her mother ate a spoonful before speaking again.

“But, I will not allow you near Ryse’s house.”

Puzzled, Rume’s hand stopped. She tried to think about why that would be, but she failed to think of any reason. It was her friend’s home after all, she was sure there would be no problem about it.

“Why, mama?”

“Just don’t, Rume. Obey me on this, please.”

Her mother’s eyes were stern which left Rume no way to insist. But it was not completely because there was no way that she decided not to insist, but rather, she always follows her mother’s advice.

She didn’t know the reason why her mother wouldn’t let her. But if her mother said no, then no. She trusts her mother with all of her being.

“Yes, mama.”

Just then, multiple knocks came from the front door. Her mother dropped her spoon and approached the door.

After opening, a familiar old man stood there.

“Esmon, why the sudden visit?”

“Good evening, Lena.” He turned to look at Rume eating at the table. “Good evening, Rume.”

“Evening, Mr. Esmon!”

He gave a smile.

“Lena, let’s talk outside.”

“What’s this about?”

“I know you have an idea what this is about.”

Her mother turned her head to look at Rume for a moment before facing Esmon again.

“Very well. Rume, continue eating, I’ll just be outside.”

“Okay~.”

Rume ate silently while waiting for her mother to come back. She scooped and chewed slowly in hopes that her mother can catch up to her and so they can finish together. It was somewhat lonely, the silence was heavy in the ears. She disliked this kind of feeling.

But this would only be temporary, her mother would come back at any moment. Then she could enjoy her meal to the fullest. She ate slowly, never caring if the food would get cold.

What could they be talking about?

Her curiosity arose, but she resisted the temptation of eavesdropping. She didn't know why she suddenly had an urge to listen, but perhaps it was because she was worried, or maybe because of the loneliness.

Rume was struck with relief when the door opened. She flashed a smile after seeing her mother.

“Oh, you didn’t finish eating yet?”

“I guess so.”

Rume decided not to tell her that she ate slowly waiting for her. After a few minutes, they had eaten all of their dinner. Her mother never allowed her to go directly to bed right after eating, so they hung around outside their house for a while.

They sat on the bench side by side. Rume leaned on her mother’s arm while the two gazed upon the stars in the heavens. Countless stars illuminated the sky, the dazzling azure moonlight showered down unto the world, lighting everything within and around the village. It was greatly appreciated that the sky was currently clear in order to behold this wonderful sight.

Rume fixed her gaze at the most notable group of stars. Amongst the countless stars blinking in the sky, three particular stars shone conspicuously with their red color. Anyone who looks up during a clear night sky would definitely point their sights at those three stars. Those three were grouped together in a triangle shape.

“Why are those stars so strange, mama?”

Rume asked as she raised her hand and pointed at red stars. She always found it strange. Those three stars were the only most noticeable red stars and shone the brightest amongst the other stars that surrounded them, as well as the strangest among all others.

“I wonder. I think nobody really knows. Perhaps that’s just the way they are….. Mm, actually those stars are quite young, they say.”

“Why?”

Her mother smiled in nostalgia.

“It was when my grandfather — for you it would be great grandfather — that they suddenly appeared, if I remember it correctly, he was around nineteen years old that time, he said.”

“But isn’t that already too long ago. How are those stars young?”

Lena caressed Rume’s head gently.

“That’s because stars shine for a very, very long time. Even though it was so long ago for us, for stars it’s only recent.”

“... So do stars also die?”

Young ones grow old after all.

“I suppose they do. Perhaps others disappear without us even noticing.”

“How terrible…”

“Why do you say so?”

“... I don’t know…”

Rume couldn’t put it properly into words. She just felt terrible after hearing it.

“Stars may disappear. But new ones will still be born, like those red stars. And even if one disappears, there are still others, old or new, for your eyes to adore, Rume.”

Rume remained silent and still. Still finding disappearance as something hard to accept.

After a few moments of star gazing, with their stomachs mostly digested the food, they returned inside and the two of them entered their bedroom. Beside Rume lied her mother pulling the blanket to shield themselves from the cold.

Lena turned to Rume who was trying to sleep, but occasionally opening her eyes as though having difficulties sleeping. Lena smiled at her adorable daughter, she caressed her head softly which brought a blissful smile on the little girl.

“Can’t sleep?”

Rume nodded.

“I’ll sing you a song, so close your eyes.”

Rume closed her eyes with a smile. Then a beautiful voice spread throughout the room. Her mother’s voice and her song which Rume loved reached her ears. She could feel her mother gently patting her shoulder in a rhythmic pattern which caused her to relax.

Ever since Rume heard this song, she has always loved it. This was a song that always stuck in her head, and the only song she hums all the time. This was the first song that was adored by her ears.

Before she knew it, she had fallen asleep.

 

Hey! What's up?

The next part I think will be the last part of the chapter.

I originally wrote this story in a novel format, so I only separate parts on where I think it is appropriate to cut. So as you might've noticed that chapter lengths vary and some has multiple parts.

The next part may be longer than this. Then there there will hint/s to the village's backstory and how it led to them referring Rume as a child of a Demonic Witch.

Thanks for reading.

9