Chapter 12: A Choice to Change a Lifetime
187 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early in the morning, just as the sun rose up, Rume went to a nearby well to fetch a bucket of water. Fortunately, there wasn't anyone there at the moment. Or perhaps when they saw her approach the well, they decided to wait until she was gone.

As she was still a little child, there was no way she could carry a large bucket full of water. Therefore, she always brings a smaller bucket. That said, she still couldn’t carry it if it was full. Most of the time, she would come back to get some again. This time, it was the same, she needed a bucket for a bath, and another for drinking water.

As she returned for a second time, there was a person who was taking up some water from the well. Rume waited at a corner until they left before she went to get some for herself. When she returned home, she prepared and ignited a fire to boil the water from the well to turn it drinkable. Igniting fire was fortunately a bit easy, they owned a pair of stones they always used to light a fire, although Rume didn’t know what that was called. With dried grasses placed on pieces of dried branches and woods along with a few twigs and dried leaves, Rume only had to strike the two stones together to create a spark and start a fire.

She poured water into a kettle and placed it above the fire between rocks. After that, as she waited for the water to boil, she carried the other bucket of water to a particular room and washed herself with a blanket. Rubbing the dirty parts, drenching and cleaning her hair. This time however, she was extra thorough in cleaning herself. After wearing a new set of clothes — quite a raggedy dress at that — she went to get the kettle and brought it inside to her dining room.

As she waited for the boiling water to cool down, she went back to her backyard to get a bunch of berries and some yellow colored round fruit. After placing those to the table, she then went to get dried meat and then placed a pan on the ongoing fire to cook it. She could have eaten it as it was already edible, but she preferred it cooked.

As she waited for it to be cooked, she rushed to get a plate. After some flipping of the meat, she judged it cooked and brought it to her table.

Breakfast was ready, so she poured water to her cup and began munching on the meat. When she was finished eating the meat, she went and ate all the fruits on the table. This was her morning routine.

In contrast, the number of berries that grew was still not enough to fill one bag. Thus, this day she couldn’t sell anything yet. But perhaps that was somewhat a good timing because she was planning on going somewhere.

Lein told her that she will come in the morning. Thus, Rume all had to wait, while she was at it, she decided to clean the backyard. It was more productive than sitting around, besides it was getting dirty and dried leaves had begun to scatter around. She did it slowly, saving up a lot of energy. She didn’t want to get all sweaty when she was about to go out with her friends.

With the backyard clean, she went back inside her house to conserve some energy. While doing so, she realized that it would be better to sit at the bench at their front yard. She took a peek to see if there were many people standing or walking by. Seeing there were plenty, she decided to go outside and sat on the bench. 

For a moment her eyes wandered to the empty space beside her.

She took a deep breath as a gentle breeze went past her. Her dark hair swayed gently in the wind bringing a feeling of harmony. An adorable smile formed on her face, if only she had a better state of life, she could have been a charming girl. If she grows up, she could have stolen the hearts of men in spite of herself.

But fate can only tell how far she will reach.

Her feet swayed excitedly as she waited. A few minutes later, a beautiful girl wearing a pointy hat waved at her as they saw each other. Rume stood up and waved back. She went past the gate and went to the girl personally.

“You ready?” Lein asked.

“Yup!” Just then Rume remembered something crucial. “Oh wait.”

Rume hastily went back and locked the door on the back and front.

“I almost forgot those.”

“Good thing you remembered. We don’t know what these people might do if you forgot to lock it.”

Rume noticed that Lein emphasized the word ‘people’, but paid it no heed any longer.

“Alright, let’s go.”

Rume followed Lein’s lead and walked beside her.

“Um… Miss Lein, I want to thank you for the item you gave me yesterday.”

“Did you like it?”

“I love it!”

Rume truly loved it. It was one of the most bizarre and wonderful things she had encountered. Almost the entire night she was playing around with it. Turning it off and on several times as curiosity rose up in her mind.

How does that work? What was the stone inside the jar? What was the explanation behind it? How do you make it?

She grew to admire magic even more.

“Mm, if you learn magic, you will be able to refill it yourself.”

Lein whispered to her.

“I can?”

“Of course you can, even an amateur can. It’s just simple, I’ll explain it when we get there and if we have a chance.”

“Okay.”

“But take great care of it, okay? It’s quite a rare mineral now.”

Rume’s eyes widened. She was surprised at the fact that she was given such an important item. She couldn’t possibly nonchalantly accept such a thing.

“Really? Is it fine for me to have something important as that?”

“I wouldn’t say it’s important though. Barely anyone finds it useful in day to day life. In any case, of course you can have it. It’s yours now. By the way, where is it? Did you leave it back at your home?”

“Yes, I figured it would be safer if it’s there.”

Lein grinned at hearing that statement showing her cautiousness.

“Good choice, Rume. We don’t know where we'll be heading, so it's better to leave it for a while.”

Rume couldn’t help but smile at her praise. She looked up to gaze at Lein. Her sweet smile was eye catching, her gently swaying silky smooth scarlet hair was captivating to watch. As they walked together, Rume couldn’t help feel more comfortable. 

For some reason, she somewhat wanted to hold her hand. But Rume shook off that desire and returned to face forward. She held and rubbed her hands together as she went on.

Lein noticed her mannerism quite easily, realizing there must be bothering her.

“Is something wrong?”

“Uh! No, it’s nothing important.”

She acted worked up as she shook both her hands and head, so Lein decided not to press into the matter. Besides, Rume didn’t appear to be upset.

“Is that so… Alright then.”

Suddenly, as they strode, a familiar old man’s voice called them from behind.

“Rume, wait!”

Rume turned around and greeted the old man.

“Mr. Esmon. Good morning!”

“Morning. What are you doing with her?”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“I mean. You’re going out with her again? Where are you going this time?”

“Um, back to the forest.”

“Again? Yesterday, you were gone the whole day! I said the condition was for you to return around the middle of the afternoon.”

“Mm. But…”

It was hard for her to admit, but Rume forgot about that.

Esmon turned to Lein then back to Rume.

“Didn’t you find what you wanted?”

“Sadly no,”Lein replied. “That’s why we’re going back.”

“You know you can’t just take a child to the forest everyday nonchalantly.”

“I understand that, but I will be there to protect her.”

“Even so, can’t you just do it yourself now?”

“That may be so...”

Esmon extended his hands towards Rume.

“Rume, let’s go.”

Rume stared at his hand. However, she didn’t have any intention to take it. She didn’t want to.

“Rume, why do you hesitate? That chance was only yesterday. So, you don’t have to enter the forest today. Come.”

Esmon was about to grab Rume’s hand, but the little girl backed away. Shielding both her hands.

“I don’t want to!”

Esmon was taken aback by her sudden yell. She was acting differently. She had never done this before. What brought about this sudden change? Earlier, as he came across them, Rume also looked different. Somehow, she looked a bit happier, he could see glints of joy in her eyes.

Realizing she shouted at Esmon, Rume covered her mouth in guilt.

“... I’m sorry,” She immediately apologized.

“Rume?”

“Mr. Esmon…. I want to go.”

“It might get dangerous.”

“Miss Lein is with me… Besides…”

Rume intently looked Esmon at his eyes.

“... I trust her…”

Lein was surprised at Rume’s remark. She was speechless for a moment. But a gleeful smile formed on her face in spite of herself.

“I assure you, Mr. Esmon, Rume will be protected by me.”

Esmon looked at the smiling mage. She appeared to be full of confidence.

Esmon closed his eyes as he heaved a deep sigh.

“...... Rume’s wellbeing is in your hands, Miss Lein. Make sure to keep her safe.”

“You have my word.”

Whatever Rume and the mage did in the forest, the time they spent in such a short time, brought this change, even if small, to Rume. 

Perhaps, this will bring a new light in her life.

Esmon smiled at Rume.

“Rume, I’ll let you go.”

Upon hearing Esmon giving his permission, Rume’s face lit up in joy. Her smile was broader than Esmon has ever seen in a long time.

“Thank you!”

She looked at Esmon with gratitude.

“Go before I change my mind and take you back by force.”

Rume nodded.

“Okay!”

“And come back before dark.”

“We’ll try.”

“Try?”

“We will try,” Lein supported Rume.

Esmon frowned.

“Whatever, just do it. Now go.”

“See you later, Mr. Esmon!”

Rume waved at Esmon as she walked away with Lein at her side.

Esmon smiled as he watched the little girl go, a bit relieved for her.

I hope this is the right choice, letting you go on this day... I hope this will bring a change for the better.

Esmon thought.

This single choice of the old man will make the little girl’s life turn a completely different path. Will the path be lit by the brilliant light of the sun and happiness? Or will it be completely engulfed in darkness and sadness? 

Only time will tell.

8