Chapter 18: Remnants of the Lost City (Part 1)
141 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who are you three?”

A man’s voice reached Rume’s ears. The little girl looked at them puzzled as to who these people were. They were human, with spears and swords in their hands. Their spears had wooden poles but the blades at its point were sharp metal. Their swords were simple but all made of steel.

The color of their hair was in the shade of blue, all of them, like the color of the sky. With eyes that vary in color. Their brown complexion was complemented with a lighter color. The tall and bulky man who stood at their front pointed at the three with his spear. But it was blocked by their barrier.

“Magic indeed.”

The man quietly said.

“We come in peace!”

Lein and Rume immediately looked at Galeila after she said those words. Lein knitted her brows for some reason that Rume couldn’t fathom.

“Isn’t that a line a bit…” Lein quietly said to Galeila.

“It’s fine…”

Galeila gave everyone a confident smile then faced the strangers.

“We are grateful to you for saving us. My name is Galeila, this mage here is named Lein. While this little girl is Rume.”

Rume still hid behind Galeila, avoiding the strangers’ gazes.

“What did you come here for?”

“Truth be told, we were just having a bit of adventure. We learned of the floating islands so we came to take a look.”

Rume wasn’t sure if she would say that was the whole truth. But they did come for an adventure.

“Is that so? It’s dangerous here.”

The stranger looked towards his friends as though inquiring something. Some of them nodded, Rume had no idea what that meant though.

“We need to learn more about this. How you got here and how you heard of this place. However, it’s dangerous to speak here. What say we take you to our village? It’s safer there.

Lein turned to look at Galeila.

“You think it’s fine?”

Lein and Galeila began to whisper to each other.

“Hm. It’s fine. They pose no threat to us if they try to attack us.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. If it comes to it, I’ll transform back to my dragon form.”

“Very well.”

“Plus, we might learn a thing or two about them.”

“It would seem so.”

When they came to an agreement, Galeila faced the strangers.

“We will take you up on that offer. Besides, we don’t want to get attacked by something like that creature again from out of nowhere.”

Lein disabled the barrier. Galeila and Lein were apparently wary of the strangers as they approached closer. Fortunately, none of them pointed any of their weapons at them.

If they as go as even swing their sword at them, they would have been annihilated before they could lay a hand on any of them. That was how dangerous these two companions of Rume were. But that being said, even though they were powerful, that didn’t mean they would lower their guard. They were not the most powerful in this world. Who knows, these strangers might have some hidden power among them.

Their leader held out his hand.

“I’m Tohu. Nice to meet you.”

He introduced himself with a smile. It looked quite honest. But Rume only stole a glance so she didn’t ponder a lot about it. All this time, she still hid her small figure behind the tall Galeila.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Galeila said as she shook his hand.

“Galeila, is it? Please follow us.”

Galeila nodded and they followed the group. The strangers also surrounded them as they went forward. With people also behind them, Rume felt anxious.

As they passed by the corpse of the beast, Galeila scrutinized its remains. Her eyes didn’t leave it until it was behind them. Rume saw a serious expression on her face.

Galeila then asked the strangers’ leader, Tohu.

“May I ask something, Mr. Tohu?”

“Go ahead.”

He replied warmly to her. Perhaps he was not a bad person.

“Have that beast always acted like that? Are the rest the same?”

“Not exactly. A lot of other once harmless beasts have become violent.”

“Since when?”

“About seven days ago.”

“Seven days, huh. Do you know the reason?”

“Unfortunately, we have no clear idea.”

“I see. Thank you.”

Galeila seemed to be thinking deeply about something, best not to disturb her for the moment. Rume took a deep breath.

“It’s quite rare for this island to have visitors,” Tohu said, intending to start a conversation. “Very rare, in fact. May I ask where you came from?”

Lein formed a charming smile.

“We came from the nearby continent.”

“Oh, that continent. I heard there’s one to the west. Quite far.”

“Heard? So you never been there?”

“Yes. Life is already great here, so we don’t really think of going anywhere. Plus, it’s dangerous without a decent ship.”

“This really does look like a nice island. It’s wide, I suppose you have anything you need to live.”

“Yes we do. I noticed you're a mage, Miss Lein.”

“Indeed I am.”

“Impressive, by the way I saw it, you must be quite skillful.”

“I won’t say I’m that good.”

Lein chuckled adorably as though happy about being complemented. Though, no one noticed that it was fake and forced, except for Galeila. Lein then continued.

“That aside, this is the first time I saw a place where a lot of people have hair as blue as the sky, or maybe all of you have it.”

“Don’t you have anything like this on the continent?”

“Nothing that I know of.”

“I see. Well, your scarlet hair is also quite something. As well as Miss Galeila’s jaden hair.”

“Well, it’s not that rare on the mainland.”

Tohu turned back at them with somewhat a relieved expression.

“It seems you aren’t a dangerous lot.”

“Are we?”

“That’s what I feel anyways.”

This time Galeila gave them a broad smile and responded.

“I’m glad you felt that way. That made me feel at ease.”

Tohu scratched the back of his head.

“Well, there’s really no point in being aggressive and fighting.”

“Peace is always the best option, right?”

“Yes it is! Hahahaha!”

He seemed to be genuinely happy. This middle aged man must truly be a good man.

A few minutes later, they have reached the settlement of these strangers. Their houses were more well built than the houses found in Rume’s village. Their houses here were almost double the size, resembling a cabin typically found amidst the forest. Tall fences deployed around to protect them from possible danger.

The wooden gates that opened were also massive, there wasn’t anything like it in Rume’s village. When they entered, numerous gazes were directed at them. The kids that were just playing stopped to look at them. Fortunately, everyone here didn’t look threatening, they were more like curious about the newcomers. Still, Rume was more anxious than before, she involuntarily tightened her grip on Galeila’s hand.

Sensing this, Galeila whispered to her.

“Rume, it will be alright.”

The little girl timidly nodded.

Rume glanced around and noticed all people here all had the same sky blue hair, which was interesting to see. As they went on, the village’s kids slowly began to gather. They all gazed at Rume, interested at seeing someone about their age. However, this didn’t help Rume gain her calm at all.

They were brought before a house larger than the rest around them. One villager entered inside for a minute before coming back outside, beckoning the trio to come inside. Now they were entering another person’s house, Rume grew apprehensive. She felt like she would be trapped in this stranger’s house.

If she could stay outside, she would choose to. Galeila noticed Rume’s turmoil.

“May I request something?”

“What is it?” Tohu replied.

“I think the talk we’re going to have inside won’t be a nice place for a child. Is it alright if she stays outside? Of course, I’ll have Lein look after her.”

Tohu looked at his friends to get their opinions.

“I think it’s fine.”

One of them said to Tohu.

“Very well. The child doesn’t have to enter.”

“I appreciate it,” Galeila turned to Lein. “Lein, please.”

“Of course.”

Galeila looked down on Rume and smiled.

“You can stay here with Lein, if you want.”

“Okay…”

Rume let go of Galeila’s hand and Lein moved beside her, holding her shoulders.

“I’ll be back later.”

Galeila said before she entered the house, guided by one of the villagers. Lein turned to Tohu and asked.

“Is it fine we take a look around?”

Tohu grinned.

“Of course. You’re rare visitors, we might as well show a bit of our proud village.”

Thanks for reading.

Exam is approaching, so I think it will take longer for the next update. Sorry about this. I'll try to update ASAP.

8