Chapter 28: Delicious Small Feast (Part 1)
86 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already around noon, and the sun rained down its warm light from the sky’s zenith. Rume pranced around the glade for a couple of hours with a broad bright smile, though often rested when she felt tired from moving around. Even yet, as she rested, she still enjoyed gazing around in the enormous rivers of mana.

That being said, her eyes were somewhat tired or perhaps a bit sore as time went by. That was because of the strain caused by Galeila’s special magic spell, Nature’s Gaze. As young as Rume was, and unaccustomed to magic, she felt the strain after a fair amount of time. An average mage would have been able to bear it for almost half a day or a bit more.

Upon noticing Rume blinking her eyes several times due to the strain, Galeila immediately seized the effects of the spell. Rume massaged her eyes gently after so. Fortunately, after several minutes, the soreness had gradually subsided, though only a little.

Lein approached Rume and sat beside her on the large root. Rume turned her somewhat red eyes to Lein.

“Your eyes are sore. Stand still and close your eyes.”

Rume closed her eyes while wondering what Lein was intending to do. The next moment, Rume felt Lein’s palm covering her sealed eyes. Warmth suddenly came forth from her palm along with a sense of comfort. The pain in her eyes vanished as if her eyes returned to their former healthy state.

Lein retracted her hand back.

“Feeling better?”

“Yes. What did you do?”

“I used a minor healing spell. I expected it would be a bother to you if the soreness is still there for a couple of hours.”

“Thank you… If I learn that, can I use it on myself?”

“Of course.”

Rume looked down with a relieved smile.

“You’re relieved?”

Rume nodded her head.

“If I can use that, I wouldn’t need to bear the wounds and pain caused by other kids throwing rocks at me…”

Being thrown at by rocks was incredibly painful and Rume had no desire to receive it over and over again. It was terrifying and it hurts so much sometimes. One time she was hit by a rock on the head, and the bleeding didn’t stop for a long time. She felt dizzy that time.

Not only that, if she were hit anywhere else, most of the time it would bruise and won’t disappear for several days. Truth be told, it was a bother, the bruises and wounds would obstruct the works she needed to be done. Even sleeping at night was difficult as pain kept throbbing. She would need to adjust her position meanwhile squirming and groaning in pain. 

Thankfully, Esmon was always there to remedy the wounds and bruises she would receive. But sometimes the medicine’s effect would disappear when a long time had passed since it was applied.

Lein in contrast had a displeased face, while Galeila furrowed her brows, perhaps disturbed upon hearing what they did. Galeila straightened her posture and fixed her clothes before approaching Rume.

“If it happens again, Rume. If they throw rocks at you, if anyone hurts you. You can tell us.”

Rume smiled. It was great to hear something like that from someone. Someone to rely on.

“... Yes.”

Galeila sat beside Rume and gently caressed the top of her head.

“Alright then, let’s begin the feast.”

With a single clap of Galeila’s hand, numerous Vilicus emerged from the forest. They, while working together, carried assorted types of fruits along with some whole roasted meat. A large bundle of fruit was carried by a group of Vilicus with hands raised. Some carried a single piece of fruit.

Some carried plates of roasted meat, although as they were already cooked and chopped, Rume couldn’t tell what animal that was. That being said, the chopped parts were still too large for her. There was also a group carrying a wide and long piece of cloth and placed it on the grass.

Rume was surprised at the sheer amount of food being prepared. She looked at Galeila with wide eyes.

“Sorry it’s a bit lacking.”

“... I don’t see any reason to be sorry.”

Actually, Rume was a bit embarrassed that this much was prepared. Thus, somewhat a way to repay everything, she wanted to at least help set it up.

“Can I help them?”

“There’s no need for that.”

“But…”

Galeila looked at Rume with puzzlement for a second before flashing an amused smile.

“Very well. Go for it.”

Rume smiled and nodded. She stood up and rushed towards the Vilicus setting up the feast.

When Rume left, Lein showed her displeased expression even more, hiding nothing back. She clicked her tongue expressing her irritation about the situation surrounding Rume.

“Tch...Why do they have to treat her that way?”

The more she heard how they treated her, the more agitated she was. Perhaps this just goes to show the growth of her care towards the little girl.

“... People just had to be cruel to those who didn’t deserve it.”

Rume didn’t deserve to be treated as such. She was only a harmless little girl. But she had to live in such a despicable and cruel environment.

This reminded her of a horrible memory that she never wanted to remember. And yet, it would never leave her mind. This cruelty and unfairness. With those and that memory, she felt angry, an anger which had no way to go.

“You still hate cruelty that much…”

Galeila said as she directed a tender gaze towards Lein. She knew that Lein utterly hated cruelty, since she had experienced it, although she was not the subject of it, but someone else.

Lein bit her lip as she tried to collect herself, trying to rid off the violent emotion swirling within her. She was told to always control her emotions, keep herself composed, since she had always been a hot blooded one.

She turned to intently look at Galeila.

“How could I not?”

But even so, there were times that she just couldn’t contain her emotions. Perhaps the reason that was so was because she didn’t want to control them. Perhaps she wanted to let them out.

“Lein, compose yourself. You have no one to direct that anger of yours.”

“...There are.”

Galeila looked at Lein, her voice may have indicated her fury, but her eyes displayed her sorrow. There were some that her anger should have been directed to. But they were far, and Galeila had forbade her to even come there. It was a long time ago.

“... They are already in ruin.”

Galeila sat beside her and softly said as she took Lein’s hands. They were trembling. Perhaps because of the anger, or was it because of the memories? Maybe it was both.

“I know… I know… But…” Lein averted her eyes aways, avoiding Galeila’s gaze. “... I can’t help it. I can’t take it.”

She couldn’t help feel angry. She couldn’t take unjustified cruelty. The target of her anger was indeed already in ruin, everything they had built, they had worked for, everything they own, they were already in ruin.

However, the people themselves, some of them were still alive. She didn’t see them alive herself, but she felt like they were still.

Lein looked at Rume, who was helping arranging with the Vilicus.

“Everytime I see someone innocent… being treated cruelly, I often remember that… that time I lost my friend.”

Galeila knew what time she was referring to, and what friend that was. It was the time when the two of them were in the far south.

The way she lost her friend was utterly and absolutely unjustified. Galeila, seeing Lein hurt, breaks her heart. The day she lost her friend, the day she saw her friend died, it was the day Lein broke down. Not only mentally, but emotionally. 

She was still young back then.

It was the reason why Lein hated those who were cruel to those who didn’t deserve it. And yet kind to those who were kind. Galeila regretted she couldn’t do anything about it. Sheer power wouldn’t help anything. It was something power can only temporarily solve, but at the same time makes everything worse.

That was why, even Galeila herself, couldn’t do anything. It was also the time Galeila had to make a heavy choice, all for Lein, who was but a child. Galeila had no love at all for making hard choices, but she had no choice but to choose one. Leave it alone, or choose to act. Lein, or someone else.

She chose both the former.

Galeila, the dragon lord, was wrathful upon seeing Lein crying in despair and sorrow. However, she held the wrath inside, never letting it out until it dissipated. 

Then eventually, they heard that kingdom’s fall. The kingdom which caused such profound grief and anger to Lein.

On where they sat, Galeila moved closer to Lein, wrapping her arms around the young woman. Lein was surprised for a second, but shortly snuggled into Galeila. She could feel the soft body and gentle warmth from her. Lein let her body relax, and sought comfort from the presence and embrace of her mother.



Changed the story cover photo. Oh and I also changed my username. so yeah...

Thanks for reading.

Happy New Year!

6