Chapter 29: Delicious Small Feast (Part 2)
74 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The assorted fruits and roasted meat displayed extravagantly upon the high quality blanket on which they were placed. Rume was quite surprised by the softness and smoothness of the fabric, what she had back home were all roughly made, it wouldn’t begin to compare to this.

The Vilicus, after doing their work, dispersed away, standing and playing around. There were surprisingly more of them than Rume had ever seen. Perhaps there were about fifty of them now. 

Earlier, they swarmed Rume for some reason after doing their job. Rume quite found them entertaining to watch, however, there were just too many of them to handle that she felt she would drown. Thankfully, Lein intervened before things got more difficult.

The gorgeous mage had to resort to flourishing flames in her hand to drive them away. The Vilicus also, what Rume perceived, were pouting as they walked away. They lowered their heads and dropped their shoulders. Rume felt a bit bad.

In contrast, Rume didn’t imagine that there were this many that were hiding in the forest. What if there were more of them? Rume didn’t know what to say if that was the case.

Anyhow, seeing all these delicious looking foods, made Rume hungry. She was also curious as to what they would taste like. Rume, in her short experience in life, never saw anything like them before.

There were yellow green round fruits that would fit in her palm, at its top sprouted a small white flower, quite cute. There was also one bundle of long dark greenish fruits, with at its point there were some sort of some sticky substance. It must be what stained Galeila’s clothes, Rume decided to be careful when approaching it.

There were also many pink colored berries, which was interesting to know that such things existed. The roasted meat laid on wooden plates, specifically what looked like pig thighs looked so delicious and juicy. Not only that, it also smells so good. Rume wondered how something like it was achieved.

“Oh, the meat is getting cold. Lein, will you please?”

Galeila beside Rume said to Lein.

“What? I’m your stove now or something?” Lein said as she shot an annoyed look at Galeila.

“Come now, just warm it up a bit.”

“You know there’s a chance it might get burned.”

“Just make it mild.”

“I’m not sitting beside it the entire time.”

“Aaaw, and I knew you love meat so much that I prepared it delicately to bring out the juiciness and the sweetness, and the deliciousness. It would be a shame if it gets cold, the flavor might turn dull.”

“........ How much effort did you put on it?”

“Just right.”

Galeila said in a carefree manner along with a proud smile.

Lein averted her eyes away.

“Right, meat is more delicious served warm.”

Lein folded her legs and sat on the blanket. She spread out her fingers and her hand began to glow with crimson light as heat came forth. She had a somewhat displeased look on her face as she was turned into a human heater.

Galeila on the other hand merely gave her an amused look. She must have thought it was a funny sight. With a shrug, Galeila turned to face Rume.

“What do you think, Rume?”

Rume looked up to look at Galeila.

“I think they look delicious! The fruits are very interesting. I never saw anything like them before.”

“I see. Well, I imagine they can’t be found around your village.”

“Where did you find them?”

“Well, deep around the forest. There are many things in the forest that wouldn’t be found in human civilizations. Like, strange animals or eccentric fruits.”

Rume peered at the fruits again.

“There must be a lot of new things I never heard about around here… Are these all the fruits here in the forest?”

Galeila pondered for a moment.

“I would say, it is most of them. This forest, especially in the presence of a World Tree, is exceedingly rich in natural resources.”

“So the giant tree helps the forest?”

“Oh yes, it makes the forest, you could say, healthy. Vegetations grow a bit faster than normal. Forests, plants rarely decay and wither at a young age. The World Tree you see, is friendly to all life.”

Rume took a glance at the giant tree stretching high above the other trees in the forest. Learning how the giant tree works was interesting. Perhaps everything also had something to do with the mana emanating from the giant tree on what she saw earlier.

“At any rate, you girls must be getting hungry, so let’s eat!”

She moved and sat beside Rume.

“No need to restrain yourself, okay Rume?”

“Yes.”

“Oh that should be enough, Lein.”

“It’s only been like, I don’t know, less than a couple of minutes?”

“It was already warm a little, so the time you spent is enough.”

“Alright.”

Lein retracted her hands back and the glow vanished as well.

“Then, Rume,” Galeila whispered to her. “Just take whichever you want.”

Rume looked at her selections with her hands extended in preparation to take what she chose. Her eyes were being caught by the yellow green fruit with a flower attached on its top. It was cute to look at, that was why she always focused at it.

She gently took it into her arms.

“Ah, a Kyeren.”

Galeila pointed out the name of the fruit in Rume’s hands.

“Do I need to peel it?”

Rume asked to make sure. But judging from the sensation, it would seem peeling it off was not required.

“No need.”

Rume nodded. She took a small bite, and immediately, she formed a soured face. That was understandable since the fruit was surprisingly sour. Rume was taken off guard, taken by surprise by its sourness. She expected it to be sweet.

“It’s a sour fruit. Therefore, not a lot of people tend to like it.”

“I hate that thing, so sour, why is it still considered a fruit?” Lein said from the sidelines.

“Well, it is edible.”

Rume on the other hand however, took the following big bite. Lein showed her displeasure of the fruit, however, Rume didn’t find it loathsome. In fact, she was surprisingly liking the sour fruit. To be honest, she liked it more than the sweet one she had from Kariya.

Galeila gave an intrigued smile while Lein was dumbfounded. A moment later, Rume had almost eaten the entire fruit.

“Oh? It would appear that Rume liked it.”

“I like it!” Rume said excitingly.

“How do people come to like sour food…?” Lein muttered.

Galeila shrugged then took one of the same fruit Rume took. In a bite, an intense sour expression radiated from her face.

“I guess it’s fine.”

“Yeah, whatever. But where’s your cutting knife and fork, Galeila?” Lein said as she looked around.

“You’re going for the meat already?”

“Why not?”

“How are you not getting fat?”

“Hey! Now that’s rude to say.”

“Is there rudeness in my question? I’m just asking.”

Lein frowned.

“I, of course, do some exercise, and a balanced diet. I mean, don’t you see this curvy body of mine?”

“A balanced diet?” Galeila sounded like she had some misgivings about that line. “I’m just going to assume you stayed fit since you always travel around.”

“Hey that’s—”

Galeila clapped her hands and turned to one of the Vilicus.

“Get the knives and forks, might as well add plates, each for one of us.”

As Galeila gave the order, Lein stayed quiet, seemingly satisfied that her knife and fork was coming. Although, she furrowed her brows when she glanced at Galeila. Galeila seemed to just smile in amusement at her.

Meanwhile, Rume had determined which one she would taste next. Her eyes fixed upon an oblong yellowish brown fruit. As she took it, she felt its skin. It would seem eating its skin would not be plausible. It didn’t feel soft to bite like the one before.

“I need to peel this, don’t I?”

Rume asked Galeila.

“Oh yes.”

Rume searched for a spot to peel it from. However, she didn’t know where. Left with no choice, she tried to peel its skin from the middle. But Galeila stopped her before she could do anything.

“I suggest you peel it from the edge, by its point.”

Rume nodded and used her nail to dig into the fruit’s skin. Slowly she peeled off a part of the skin. What was beneath it was a somewhat shiny soft looking, it must have been shining under the sun due to its moisture. Its inside was the same color as its skin. Rume although, didn’t find it appealing.

However, maybe its appearance was deceiving and it was actually delicious.

After she peeled off all of its skin leaving it attached from its base, she took a bit while one hand held it on the fruit base. As the fruit touched her tongue and with a single chew, her body froze as she choked.

“Ghg!”

Somehow, Rume felt regretful that she was optimistic about its appearance.

“It’s bitter!”

She blurted out what she tasted in shock. She expected it to have at least a soft flavor. But no, it was so bitter. This could perhaps be the most bitter food she had ever tasted.

Galeila chuckled upon seeing Rume’s reaction.

Rume didn’t like this fruit at all. However, upon seeing that she only took a small bite, and with it came that intense bitterness, she was terrified. That would mean she would have to eat this entire fruit, and endure that much bitterness.

How could she even survive this?

“Hehe, it would seem you don’t like it. It’s called a Macus, quite bitter. That would be too much for you to eat, considering the bitterness. But can you eat all of it?”

“.....I can’t.”

“I see. In that case you can give what you have to me.”

Rume was a bit shy to offer something she had eaten. However, Galeila’s smile was so persuading. Furthermore, Rume couldn’t eat any more of this. Even though she only took one bite, she still couldn’t.

“...If you please h-have it…”

Rume offered the fruit in her hand. Galeila took it with no hesitation then took a bite. There was a reaction to the bitterness however, after a moment of chewing, she bit again. Rume was bewildered at Galeila's capability of eating such a crude thing.

“I’m surprised you could eat something like that when Rume couldn’t even bring herself to have another bite,” Lein said with a bitter expression, as though she herself felt the bitterness of the fruit.

“It’s not that bad. You ought to know that bitter food is more healthy and contains more nutrients. Although I have no need for such, humans do. That reminds me, you haven’t even touched any fruit, Lein.”

“I’m waiting for the fork and knife.”

“You’re not even planning to eat fruits, don’t you?”

“Ummm. Who knows.”

Meanwhile, a group of Vilicus came, carrying what was ordered by Galeila. Rume wondered where they could have taken it from. She didn’t even notice where they could have come or emerged from.

The Vilicus then placed a plate of forks on each of the three while placing a pair of knives beside the large piece of roasted meat. The utensils were extravagant and expensive looking while gleaming, prompting Rume to be conscious if she ever holds them.

Lein immediately went for the meat and made a few slices before placing plenty on her plate. Plenty meant few slices, but the sizes were meant to be concerned about. The way she ate though, was lady-like as usual.

Meanwhile, Galeila reached out her hand towards the bundle of fruits and pulled out one. She peeled it with ease.

And that was when Rume saw that the fruit resembles something.

“A banana?”

“Hm? Oh yes, you could say it’s a banana. But it’s a special kind of variant. Much more delicious. You could rarely find this.”

Curious as to what was the difference from a normal banana, Rume went to pick one piece. She peeled it and took a bite. Her eyes went wide for a moment to the vast difference in their flavor.

If Rume were to describe it, it had as twice as a normal flavor of a banana. This was exceedingly more pleasing to eat.

“This is delicious.”

Before she knew it, she had eaten it entirely.

“You do know a lot of fruits, Miss Galeila.”

“Well, I have been living for a long time, you stumble on a lot of things.”

As she spoke, Galeila sliced a piece of meat and picked it up with her fork. Rume stole a glance at Lein, she appeared to be enjoying it a lot, her smile was bright, and eyes full of delight. Rume gently sliced a piece of meat from a roasted pig.

There she noticed some sort of leaf inside its belly. Rume didn’t know what they were doing there. Galeila and Lein seemed to have to problem upon seeing them, so it should be fine.

She took one with her fork and ate it. Her mouth clutched and her eyes widened. A surge of intense and delightful flavor came surging in. The meat was incredibly delicious, the ones she eats in her village couldn’t even begin to compare.

How could such a thing be this delicious?

“Delicious, isn’t it, little Rume?” Lein said.

“Yes! Yes it is. I’m curious how you made this Miss Galeila.”

“Well, I placed those plant leaves inside its stomach. As I roasted it, I placed a specific extract and brushed all over it. It took hours for it to be finished.”

“... Then does that mean you woke up all night?”

Rume felt bad about that. That could mean that Galeila didn’t have a proper sleep.

“I’m fine, I don’t really need sleep. I could be awake for months without any sleep and I’ll be fine.”

Rume didn’t know how that was possible. However, Galeila was originally a dragon, so perhaps that was just how they are.

“... I understand. Thank you Miss Galeila.”

Galeila smiled.

“You’re welcome.”

“... Oh that’s right, I didn’t see any smoke at all.”

If Galeila was cooking, shouldn’t there be smoke?

“I made precautions for that not to happen since I don’t want anyone seeing this place.”

“Hey! What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”

Suddenly, Lein yelled. As she averted her eyes away from her meal, it appears that a group of Vilicus stole her plate and fled away from her. It goes without saying that there were plenty of slices of meat on her plate.

Lein stood up and began chasing the culprits.

“Hey you little evil twigs! Give it back!”

As the plate was about in her reach, a long vine caught the plate first and pulled towards a Vilicus.

“You would dare?!”

And the chasing battle became intense.

Rume had a smile on her face.

“They get along well…” Rume muttered.

“You think so? Hm, well they always make fun of each other. Although, they are a bit mean towards Lein. And her towards them.”

“Huh? Why would that be?”

Galeila grinned in nostalgia.

“Funny story actually. Well, the first time they met, Lein laughed at them and… played them around. In playing I mean, lifting them up, shaking them, making them move their limbs like a doll. Quite cruel.”

“I was a kid back then!”

Lein yelled as she finally retrieved her precious meal.

“Oh, also there is one time where during her training, she set one on fire.”

“That was an accident!”

A Vilicus tried to steal the plate on her hand, however failed. That being said, a few more followed the attack.

“Hah! You can’t do anything against me now that I’m on guard!”

She menacingly looked at them with a smirk.

“That said, they are quite very close and cared about each other. Even though they act like that.”

Galeila whispered to Rume. Meanwhile, Lein had returned to her position. But still on guard of any sudden ambush.

“But I do have to say, Lein was a very naughty child. A very unruly child. She would pick a fight with anyone that would be rude to her. You are a much kinder and polite child, Rume. Keep it that way.”

Galeila patted Rume’s head.

“Well, you can’t survive in the slums when soft and weak. You have to be tough!”

Lein said as she chewed her food.

Rume took notice of the word slums. She heard about that word before and she had an idea what it was. It was a place where the poor lived or those who didn’t have a lot of money. She had the impression it was similar to how it was in their village.

However, she had no idea how it truly was or how difficult to live in such a place.

As time went on, Rume tasted every food before her. It was incredibly fascinating to taste and discover different kinds of fruits. Although there was also a delicious meat, the assorted fruits caught her attention more. Just how many kinds of fruits could there be in the world?

Not only fruits, but also things to discover. If only she could travel around the world. Rume glanced at her two companions. Perhaps, just perhaps, if she stayed by their side, that dream would come true.

Rume adored them. In her eyes, they were beautiful. Serenity comes whenever they were by her side. In the few days she was with them, they were becoming someone important — very important.

Rume smiled broadly, not only from her mouth, but also from her heart.

Way past noon, They had almost eaten everything. However, Rume was already full. Not only her, but Lein and Galeila as well.

“We’ll eat the rest tomorrow.”

Galeila said as she called for the Vilicus to clean things up. Lein stood up and stretched her body. Rume too stood up since it was more of a relief to stand up when the stomach was full. It was taught by her mother.

“Then, we can resume our training, little Rume.”

Lein turned to face Rume.

“However, before that. I have something to tell you.”

Rume slightly tilted her head as she awaited what Lein wanted to say.

“Don’t call us with the word ‘miss’ anymore.”

Rume was a bit puzzled by the sudden words that came from Lein.

“But… I have to be respectful to others.”

It was what her mother taught her. Be polite to people, especially those who were older than her. She must address them with respect.

Lein merely smiled.

“Rume, we are already close, don’t you think? Honorifics are unnecessary to be used with us. After all, we’re friends, am I wrong?”

Rume looked up at Lein then glanced at Galeila.

“I don’t mind if you call me by name alone,” Galeila said with a smile.

Rume was feeling a bit shy about using their name alone. It does not feel right. They were greater than her after all.

Seeing Rume was still silent and conflicted, Lein walked closer to her.

“If you don’t remove the honorifics, I won't teach you magic anymore.”

Rume instantly looked at Lein with a stunned expression.

“That’s underhanded Lein,” Galeila commented.

Rume was a bit scared. Seeing this, Lein panicked as she waved her hand around.

“Eh — ah! I went too far. Sorry. But, you can just call me Big Sis!” Somehow, Lein felt embarrassed. “ — Or just call me Lein?”

“So that’s why…” Galeila muttered.

Rume pondered what she should do. But they said it was fine, so there was no big issue about removing the honorifics.

“...Then, I will call you Lein.”

Rume said in a low voice with a smile while a bit embarrassed.

“Eh… I expected there to be a big sister…” Lein muttered to herself. But it was called progress, so she cleared her throat. “That’s perfect Rume! Perfect.”

Lein patted Rume’s head. Meanwhile, Lein looked at the Vilicus, they were making fun of her about failing from her objective. She unleashed a cold glare at them. Rume was oblivious about this since she already turned around to face Galeila.

“G-Galeila,” Rume said hesitantly.

Galeila nodded at her. It was difficult since Rume was not yet used to it.

“Then let’s continue, Rume!”

Rume nodded excitedly with a bright adorable smile.



Yeeaaah, relationship progress!


This concludes the chapter "Delicious Small Feast"

5