175 A Memento from His Mortal Life
150 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shun Tao sat down at his desk as soon as they reached his study and opened the scroll of fate again. He frowned at the characters that were forming. Zhong Jing Yi had already left the capital. It was necessary to do something as soon as possible.

He looked up at Leng Jin Yu and motioned at the chair opposite him. "Please, sit. What are your thoughts on this matter?"

Leng Jin Yu nodded and took a seat. He didn’t know the exact state of things but what Shun Tao had told Qiang Yan was enough to give him a general impression. "The overall goal is to prevent His Highness from becoming a cultivator. Considering he should already be far behind on the trials he has to pass it would be good if these two things could be combined."

"So you’re saying?"

"I trust the Fate’s Scribe with finding the best way to dictate his fate. It’s just … You’ve seen what Hong Bao —"

Shun Tao tensed. "What does Hong Bao have to do with this?"

Leng Jin Yu raised his brows. "This might not be appropriate for me to say but in a sense, she’s surprisingly similar to Longjun. He also did some stupid things because of his love for the crown prince. Now, look at Hong Bao: I advised her to give up and let you report to the Heavenly Emperor but she still persisted.

"Likewise, I’m afraid Longjun won’t stop trying to 'help' his beloved. Merely adjusting a scroll of fate might not be enough. Thus I’d suggest writing a new fate but to be on the safe side we should send someone down. That person can keep an eye on His Highness and Longjun and make sure the dragon king won’t interfere. Meanwhile, we might be able to use that person to have His Highness pass a trial or two."

Shun Tao narrowed his eyes. "What are you thinking of?"

"I’m not very knowledgeable about the trials but I think I have heard that two of the major trials a trueborn god might want to pass are the trial of love and the trial of betrayal. Is that true?"

Shun Tao nodded slowly. "So you’re thinking of that."

"With a normal mortal, this might be difficult to pull off. But if we send a god or a deity down there, they shouldn’t have a problem assisting His Highness in his trial."

Shun Tao nodded again. "Indeed. Although we’ll need an ascended deity for that. Gods are limited in the things they can do to interfere with another’s trial even if they take on a mortal identity. Ascended deities are different in this. I’m not that familiar with them though. There might be some in my palace but considering that His Highness wants to enter a deity sect it might be better to send someone with martial abilities."

"I do know of someone who would be fit to take that role. It’s just …" He smiled wryly. "This matter is probably not something that can be told to just anyone. After what happened with Hong Bao … I do trust that person but I’m not sure if you would be alright with it."

"Hm …" Shun Tao pondered the issue. An ascended deity … His brows rose and his lips curled up. Eh? It wasn’t that hard to find an ascended deity for this task, was it? He leaned back and folded his hands in his lap, obviously satisfied with his idea. "Well … The God of War assigned you to me because he felt you were suited to this task. If I don’t make use of that, I might as well try and settle everything myself again. So … Why don’t you descend?"

"I?" Leng Jin Yu looked at him in a daze.

Shun Tao smiled. "First of all, you know about the whole situation so we wouldn’t have to involve anyone else. Second, you have been a cultivator before you ascended, haven’t you? That would make this task easier."

Leng Jin Yu looked down at the ring on his hand. It was a memento from his life as a mortal, something he still hadn’t taken off even after all this time. Descending to the mortal world, seeing the places again he had once known … The notion was tempting.

"He went to the Yun Zou Sect, you said?"

Shun Tao nodded.

Leng Jin Yu took a deep breath. He hadn’t been part of the Yun Zou Sect and hadn’t known anyone from there so nobody should recognize him. There was nothing speaking against this but two advantages. And this was the task the God of War had given him. It stood to reason that he should solve it himself.

He nodded. "If the Fate’s Scribe thinks I am suitable for this role, then I will do everything I can to fulfill it."

Shun Tao nodded and turned back to the scroll of fate to work on a new fate for Zhong Jing Yi. He looked up again after a moment though. Leng Jin Yu hadn’t left yet. "What is it?"

Leng Jin Yu sighed. "I know it isn’t my place to say anything but I had the chance to get to know Hong Bao this past week."

"There is no reason to say anything."

"I think otherwise. Yes, you don’t reciprocate her feelings and you don’t have to. She did many things wrong and you were right to say that she should be punished for that. But … her punishment was already meted out. She’ll be leaving the Nine Heavens in a week and after that, she won’t remember a thing. Do you really have to make her this miserable for her last few days here?"

Shun Tao sighed. This guy … If he knew that he shouldn’t get involved, why was he still doing it? And why … did everything he said sound so logical? It really made it difficult to argue.

6