Chapter 43
2.2k 31 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

-Farrah-

 

Ah, another day.
Welu came again to bring me to the nurses.
Since nothing happened last time, it wasn't too hard to convince Rowen that he can let me go.
Also, Ery made it quite clear that she doesn't wish us to be with her when whatever happens to her starts.
I should support my daughter's decisions on that matter.

Welu mentioned that soon she won't come anymore so that I have to enter the nursery on my own.
I think it was more meant as showing trust than a sign of abandoning me.
It also seems as if the guards got used to my presence.

Working alongside the other nurses isn't bad.
Did I just call myself a nurse?
Well, I think it's fine.

I've noticed until now that they are chatting when they happen to work next to each other.
It might be only work-related stuff, but I feel a bit excluded, being the only one who can't partake.
Nonetheless, I can do my part and work at their side and no one takes offense in that.
Quite open-minded they are.
Or are they just too narrow-minded to see any difference?
No idea, but I'm content with the result.

While I'm doing my job here I notice a small commotion out on the floor.
At least some nurses are reacting to something and then a group of insects enters.
Some workers and even a messenger.
While the workers are not so uncommon here, the messenger certainly is, as I absolutely have no idea what it would have to do here.

It looks around and sets its eyes on me.
Then it approaches.
Am I the reason?
Maybe Liseti sent me a message or it's even one of Erys', yet the only messenger I know of that can speak human words is Skiras.
It comes to a halt directly in front of me.

 

"Creak!" (messenger)

 

Weird.

This disproves my assumption that this one was sent by Liseti.
It obviously cannot communicate with me and I don't think she would make this kind of mistake.
On the other side, if it's just here to bring me over, asking for human speech is maybe expecting too much.
However, it's clear that this insect urges me to come along and the accompanying workers seem to be here to enforce this request.
Would Erys or Liseti really treat me like this?
Yet either way, it doesn't seem like I have a choice here.
This situation makes me a bit worried about how safe I am.

 

"Ehm, Liseti?" (F)

 

Maybe it helps if I drop her name.
It should hold some weight here.
Yet this messenger doesn't seem to understand.
Maybe there is still a difference between those insect creaks and spelling it out.
If just Welu would be here, but she leaves me most of the time on my own.

Yet now this insect starts to become impatient and the urging grows a bit more intense.
Sigh, seems like I don't have a choice.
Might be the way Erys must have felt the first time.
It's not like I could put here any kind of resistance.
Having no other choice I decide to go on my own before they decide to simply drag me with them.
Whatever is going on here, showing some cooperation can't be wrong.
At least I can be sure that it's not about a ransom.

They take me with them and at least I know that this isn't the bridge I came here on, but rather far to the right.
They aren't walking too fast but very insistent that I not fall behind.
It feels a little oppressive.

They lead me many floors upward and soon I find myself in front of a giant gateway with a rather large number of guardians watching each of our moves.
Yet they let us pass.
I walk over a large square and am brought through a small gateway entering a spacious room.
While those insects in general don't show much interest in decorations, this one is different.
The walls, coated like all the others, form some kind of pattern, while there are shelves with different earthen vessels and also the skulls of strange creatures.
Several workers, messengers, and nurses are in here, but they all keep their distance to the middle.

And there it is.
Lying on a bench in the center of the room an insect stares at me.
It looks a bit like a messenger, but reading the environment there is just one answer.
A princess!

She makes a bored impression but does not cease staring.
After a while, which made me uncomfortable in its extension, she lazily sits upright.

 

"Creak!" (?)

 

I have no idea what it wants and am like this at a loss.
The next moment I feel a push from behind and stumble forward.

 

"Creak!" (?)

 

I still have no idea.

 

"L-Liseti?" (F)

 

If anyone could solve this she would be it.
Erys would certainly be as confused as I am.
Maybe not as much, since she can understand them, but this situation is distressing.
The insect meanwhile tilts her head for a moment before glaring even harder.

 

"Creak!!!" (?)

 

This starts to go in a bad direction, yet I can't do much about it.

 

"I-I am sorry, I cannot understand you." (F)

 

She once again leans a bit back in her spot, looking as if she's contemplating something.
Then I see that some kind of long tail rushes out from her waist and hovers threateningly with its stinger over her.
It lowers to her upper right claw and a liquid escapes from the prick.
She coats the claw in this stuff and then casually stands up.

 

"Creek!" (?)

 

I am grabbed from behind.
Unable to move I can only watch with rising terror as this thing comes closer.

 

"P-please don't. I have a daughter, Erys. Don't do this, please!" (F)

 

But this creature nonetheless advances.
Promptly, it grabs my head with three claws and pushes the soaked claw under my nose.
Some of her fingers even enter my nostrils, pushing further inside, proving that they don't mind personal space.

 

"Arrrgh!" (F)

 

The next moment a biting smell rushes through my system.
The princess pulls back and I am set free, but this stench sends me to the ground.
It burns inside!

On and on it continues and there's nothing I can do about it, helplessly wriggling on the floor.
I grasp at my face, but can't do anything about the origin which already invaded inside and now lingers there.
No thought is possible, everything gets drowned out by this terrible smell.
It feels like an eternity before it finally subsides.
Tears stream down my face after this olfactory assault, but I am slowly able to find the strength to get back up again.

 

<Scriek!/Can you understand now?> (?)

 

Huh? What was that?
There was a creak but at the same time...

 

<Answer!> (?)

"I-I am confused! What is going on here?" (F)

<Criak, Skrie, scraa!/Ah, a response! Something changed. It's obviously sapient. But this is no good! I still can't understand its communication. How should I know then what it is? More importantly, what it's doing in the nursery?> (?)

"S-sorry! Please, I was there to help. Liseti allowed it." (F)

<Screeh, criuk!/No idea what it says. Hmm... Ah, this is it!> (?)

 

She claps her two upper claws together and moves one step closer.
Then the stinger rushes out and pierces me directly between the collarbones.

 

"Aghhcrrk!" (F)

 

I want to scream but the impact pressed all the air out of my lungs.
I feel how something is released inside.
It pulls back out, but a strong burning remains.
Again I fall to my knees struggling for air, as breathing feels impossible right now.
The burning crawls all around there and even enters my head which makes me nearly succumb to the starting migraine.
I feel like I need to vomit, but my throat cramps up too tight to let anything pass.
And everywhere it burns!

My vision starts to get dim, but just a moment before I faint it stops.
When I can think again, I notice how this princess placed herself again on her seating, while I unsteadily force myself back up.

 

<Crik!/Better?> (?)

<Screak!/What?> (F)

<Screeeaak!!!/What?!!> (F)

 

No matter what I try, I can't form any words!
Just creaks!
What is going on here?

 

<Ahh, perfect! I can understand it now! Would you please now tell me what you are?> (?)

<Screeeek!/What is with my voice?!!> (F)

<You stand in front of princess Honiu! Act accordingly!> (messenger)

 

As if I care!
Make this stop!

 

<Rather unusual behavior for a drone. Please tell me. What are you? I am curious since the moment I've seen you from my terrace. I've heard you worked like any other drone. And then you even came back to continue.> (H)

<Screeeak!/What have you done to me?!> (F)

<I've just made some beneficial adjustments. With this, you can communicate properly.> (H)

<Creak!/Why?> (F)

 

My state is terrible.
The tears stream down uncontrolled.
My mind is still so shaken from this terrible experience and now I don't know how to deal with the situation.
Everything is just too much.

 

<Because I couldn't understand you.> (H)

 

She tilts her head as if this would be the most natural ever.

 

<So why were you in the nursery?> (H)

 

Again she simply proceeds to ask her questions.
As if she isn't even taking note of my feelings.

 

<Liseti allowed me to go there! And...> (F)

<Liseti? How can she? The nursery is my sphere! She can just proceed to send her brutes through the tunnels!> (H)

<Scriek, sriik, cree!/ But I... My voice... What can I do?> (F)

<Doesn't matter. You can return to your assignment, drone!> (H)

 

Drone!?
None of the insects seems to intend now to keep me from leaving, yet I can't.
I'm devastated.
My mind is in shambles and no one here cares.
I'm just another of the countless drones to them.

 

<SCREEAK!!!/HONIU!!!> (L)

 

Arrgh!
A wave of anger rushes over me.

This voice!
Liseti!?
Looking behind me I see a commotion.
Several guardians and workers drive themselves through the square, forcing the hesitant local forces to give way.
Directly in front of the entrance out of the mass Liseti emerges and enters with an authority that demands submission.
I feel instantly the urge to kneel and due to my weak legs do so.

 

<What have you done?!> (L)

<I took your drone. She was in my domain after all.> (H)

<She is no drone! Can't you even see that! She is our guest!> (L)

<Guest? What kind of concept is this? Since when do we have contact with such strange creatures? Anyways, she was performing tasks in my sphere and as such is a member of the part of the swarm I survey.> (H)

<You can't just take her!> (L)

<Why? You get all my workers and guardians for your little expeditions! So isn't it natural that if you send me a nurse I am responsible? She couldn't even speak! Quite negligent on your side I need to say. Nurses are crucial for the swarm's development and as such have to be fully functional.> (H)

 

The room feels as if it is on fire.
Every word they speak streams agitation into the atmosphere and somehow it affects me so much.
Yet this other princess is much calmer, almost playful in her hostility.

 

<She is no nurse! She is princess Erys' mother and as such definitely doesn't belong to you!> (L)

<Princess Erys? Who is that now?> (H)

<What are you even surveying? For already eight activity intervals this hive has a new princess!> (L)

<A new princess? And this her mother? This is very confusing.> (H)

<No more comments! I will take her now with me!> (L)

<Well, let her return to her assignment soon. As it was relayed she performed satisfactorily.> (H)

 

Liseti doesn't answer directly, but a wave of agitation does in her stead.
Instead, she carefully takes me and guides me out, supporting my body with all her four arms.

 

"Iee apologieze heereby! Ieet was not foreseeen that Honiiiu becomes actieeve!" (L)

 

It's as if I would hear her words twice.
One time with my ears, one time translated in my head.
However...

 

<Creak!/What can I do to stop this?> (F)

 

She stops in her tracks.
It's difficult to read her expression, but the wave of shock I feel is telling enough.
It takes a moment before she manages to speak.
She turns back to Honiu, while a new wave of stirred emotions rushes through me.

 

<What have you done?!> (L)

<As I said, she couldn't even speak. This was a shortcoming I couldn't allow in my domain. I had to make sure that she can communicate properly so she can pursue her tasks adequately.> (H)

 

While there are no doubts that she fumes, Liseti isn't engaging anymore in this conversation and instead forcefully composes herself, before turning to me.

 

<Creak, criak!/I am deeply sorry and take full responsibility for this incident. If I can do anything you can order so within the limits. For now, we better bring you back.> (L)

 

Back to Erys, huh?
There will be much to talk about.

 

91