172 How Are You Holding Up?
119 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I will be there in a minute. Just let me speak to the others first."

The disciple wasn’t quite sure what to say to that but glancing at the other disciples that were clearly following Mei Chao Bing’s lead, he finally nodded and then stepped outside. He couldn’t help but perk up his ears to try and find out what they were talking about just in case the Elder would want to know later on.

Mei Chao Bing was pretty sure about what was going on but he just ignored the disciple and didn’t do anything either to keep him out. Anyway, he didn’t have much to say and those words definitely weren’t a problem if overheard by anyone.

He first turned to everyone, lightly clearing his throat. "Elder Fa has asked me to come over again. I will explain the situation more clearly to her and see what her thoughts on the matter are. You guys should follow what she said before and really have a rest. Song Mu’s group will likely have to continue on their way tomorrow. We can talk about whether my group will travel together with you or not after I return. Anyway, it’s good to have as much rest as you can."

The others nodded, all of them preparing to do so immediately, save for Yun Bei Fen who looked at Mei Chao Bing with sad eyes.

Mei Chao Bing felt a tug at his heart when he saw that gaze. He went over and pulled him into his arms, lightly kissing his temple. "Don’t be sad, ah! I’ll be back in a bit."

"Can’t I come with you?"

Mei Chao Bing looked at him, wondering how much he should say. If the others weren’t around, he wouldn’t mind saying everything that was on his mind but right now, the situation really wasn’t good. "Well, I wouldn’t mind you to hear whatever it is that is going to be said but … Elder Fa might think otherwise. Anyway, she doesn’t know that you’re my fiance. So I’m afraid it won’t be possible."

Yun Bei Fen hung his head and then hugged Mei Chao Bing’s waist. "But you will hurry up, right?"

Mei Chao Bing nodded and rubbed his head, tightening the hug for a moment. "Yes, I’ll hurry up. You should also rest a bit. Or, if you feel like you can’t, then just practice a bit more. You can show me how far you’ve gotten when I return."

Yun Bei Fen’s expression immediately lit up when he was given this task. He had been continuing to practice both controlling his flying sword and constructing a shield of spiritual energy whenever they set up camp.

He probably hadn’t made much progress but it was better than nothing and Mei Chao Bing had praised him quite a bit for every bit of progress that he did make. Thus, he was naturally happy to have another opportunity to practice and show him how far he had gotten. Most likely, Mei Chao Bing would be happy when he saw. That was definitely a good thing. He wanted to make him happy.

"Alright. I’ll train hard!"

"Mn. I know you will. Nobody is working as hard as my little bunny." He kissed his temple again, rubbed his head once more, and then stepped out of the tent, finding the disciple that had been listening in standing there with red ears.

He slightly raised his brows, wondering what exactly it was that had made the guy so embarrassed. He hadn’t done anything excessive, had he? Well, now wasn’t the time to worry about that. "Alright, thank you for waiting. I’m ready to see Elder Fa now."

The guy nodded but didn’t get a word out and just led him back over to Elder Fa’s tent, lightly clearing his throat in front of the flap. "I brought him back." With that, he hurried away, leaving Mei Chao Bing alone at the entrance.

He shook his head and then went inside only to meet with Elder Fa’s inquisitive look.

"What did you do to the disciple for him to rush off like that?"

Mei Chao Bing gave a faint smile, sitting down when she motioned at the chair opposite her. "I’m not quite sure either. I was just saying goodbye to the others for now."

Elder Fa gave a hum and then leaned back, giving him a long look. "Alright, child, let’s speak frankly. How are you holding up over there?"

Mei Chao Bing continued to just smile. "To be honest, I wasn’t doing really well for the first few years but by now, things are a bit better. Actually, coming to the border region has helped. I’ve been spending more time with my fellow disciples and I think that at least a few of them don’t just think of me as a traitor’s disciple anymore."

She nodded, a hint of sympathy in her eyes. "Have you hear anything from him in all these years?"

Mei Chao Bing shook his head. "I didn’t and I don’t think it will happen. He probably thinks that I will come to him on my own. But I won’t. No matter what he does, I will never change sides. I won’t give him that victory."

Elder Fa nodded but her expression didn’t look too well. "Ah Bing, maybe I don’t need to tell you but I’m afraid that this whole thing with the Jian Chu Sect’s symbol and the Teng Yong Sect’s map … it carries your Master’s handwriting. He is at least involved in this."

Mei Chao Bing nodded, not at all surprised. "That is what I thought as well. Don’t worry, I’m ready to face him." In fact, this wasn’t wrong. He might not have been able to do so a few weeks ago but now that things had moved forward with Yun Bei Fen and even with some of the others, he really was.

There was no threat that he would change sides. There was no threat that he would abandon the righteous side even if he didn’t join his Master. No, he had his place in the Teng Yong Sect and he would hold onto it. No matter what his Master did, no matter how many plans he made or how many traps he laid down, he would find them one by one and make sure to thwart them. He would definitely not get caught up in them. He just wouldn’t.

8